• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how they plan to revamp sword combat if that's part of the plan

Just something with more control to make it a little more skill based would be enough for me maybe like a simplified mount and blade or Chivalry MW type system with directional attacks/blocks

I'm probably just thinking wishfully

Dec 11, 2017
Sea of Thieves is the number 7 game on Twitch right now. It looks like that Shrouded Spoils update is winning people back.

Edit: Number 4 now

Last edited:

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
There were some really interesting insights in this weekly stream.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N0U-c6QIZMk

It sounds like they'll be making some big changes to the core gameplay of SoT early next year. Joe Neate mentioned that only about 15% of the SoT team worked on Shrouded Spoils, while the rest of the team has been working on future content.

A few of the things they mentioned:
Core Quest/Lore Update
Sea Dogs trading company (tracks Arena progress)
Revamped combat system for players, enemies, and ships
New interactions between ships
Boarding axe heavily hinted at

In the most recent Podcast, Craig Duncan mentioned how the anniversary of SoT is coming up. I imagine they'll be realasing a pretty significant update to mark that occasion.
Thanks for posting. I know they've talked a few different times about updates to the Quest system, I've been wondering if they were going to make a pass at combat, it's good to see that they are.

I listened to the recent podcast with Matt Booty, and there were a couple of interesting tidbits include Craig saying that his expectation is that 2019 is a bigger year for the game than 2018 was, which is a good vote of confidence on their commitment to SoT. (Booty also mentioned "playing SoT in 10 years")
It's crazy how Twitch's top games stats are so heavily skewed by just a couple of people.
Yeah, it's interesting that many would consider Twitch a mature platform at this point, yet a handful of streamers still drive the games on the directory.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
q2rFZeG_d.jpg

Oops! Still a bit of 2018 left.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Found this on Twitter, but here's the extended version of it w/music.

Really impressive stuff! Especially near the end with the kraken/meg/fog encounters.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
22k viewers while Summit isn't streaming the game. Rare has done a good job in putting this game back into the spotlight. I'm interested what The Arena will do. And what competition from a more progression based game like Atlas will do.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
My whole crew got the Overacheiver sales. didnt think i made the cut but i mustve sold enough captains chests or villainous skulls after they extended the deadline to the 14th?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
heres some screenshots of them on a brig, we started off pairing it with the scurvy bilgerat but ultimately felt like it looked nicest with the executive admiral hull:
Y0ehEPw.jpg

uD4zRRL.jpg

qp8O3VN.jpg

noPIwaM.jpg

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Played 2-3 hours today with my Brother doing some of the guilded quests. Whatever faults it has, this game still makes me grin ear to ear sometimes. Some of the best multiplayer experiences I have had in years have been with this game. Can't wait to see what Rare does with the game in 2019.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Twitch is a strange platform. Games can be declared dead or alive by its viewership. But a game launch like Atlas with some Summit vs Lirik drama leads to this:

uLA0yi4.png

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Twitch is a strange platform. Games can be declared dead or alive by its viewership. But a game launch like Atlas with some Summit vs Lirik drama leads to this:

uLA0yi4.png

This is wild. Only a stones throw from BO4 numbers. I don't watch much Twitch - is this basically down to Summit?

Also where are those folk who were always using Twitch numbers to strictly point out how the game was dead?

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking of jumping in on the Sea of Thieves, thanks to Summit and it being half off. Is there an easy way for me to team up with people to play? Is this game like Destiny in that I'll have to grind out a bunch of stuff on my own before I could team up with people and do end game stuff? Sorry for my ignorance.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking of jumping in on the Sea of Thieves, thanks to Summit and it being half off. Is there an easy way for me to team up with people to play? Is this game like Destiny in that I'll have to grind out a bunch of stuff on my own before I could team up with people and do end game stuff? Sorry for my ignorance.

No! The absolute best thing about SoT is that there are no power levels or gated content. I've played the game for 500 hours and me and you could hope in right now and I would be no more powerful than you. I wouldn't have better guns or be stronger. We could play the same voyages and everything I could do you could come along for. So don't worry about that. The only things you'll be 'grinding' for are cosmetics. You get gold for doing missions etc. You use that gold to buy more missions and more cosmetics. Simple! During the timed events (every two or three weeks there will be a unique event with new content/challenges) there will be time limited cosmetics that you can only get then by finishing the challenges. But that's it. No levelling, no light levels. You will 'level up' the vendors that give out missions but that just enables you to buy harder/more complex missions. I could whack down a Pirate Legend (endgame) mission now and you could do it, there's nothing stopping you. You just couldn't buy one yourself right now.

In terms of getting together with others, I'd strongly recommend using the Xbox/Windows LFG tools that they have built in. If you've never used them before then do a little research... they're amazing for Sea of Thieves. I've made solid friends over the year from people I've met via the LFG. Also, just drop a post in here. I'd happily join you and I'm sure others would too. I love playing with new players.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Christmas just around the corner and I'm bloody tempted to video my son opening Athena's Fortune book for a surprise present. If I remember will post it back here.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
i know some of yall are also pioneers so i just wanna let yall know yall should check the developers updates subforum. theres a small little gift this weekend only thats easy to miss since its tucked away 2 subforums deep

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rare has talked a lot about how they have some big updates coming at the start of the year.
I really wish they would talk about those plans ASAP, because there is a lot of hype around the game again right now.

i know some of yall are also pioneers so i just wanna let yall know yall should check the developers updates subforum. theres a small little gift this weekend only thats easy to miss since its tucked away 2 subforums deep

Thanks for the tip!

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I normally don't betray alliances unless the other crew oversteps but the temptation to shoot the mega keg that our allies had possession of (and they said they had 2) was too great.

I love this game.

Dahellisdat

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, so we got a second xbox in the house and I'm trying to play with my wife and every time we try to join a game together, it kicks one of us out with a hazelnut beard error. Any idea what we can do?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing things like this is awesome! I so want to get into this game. Having no friends that play I've tried a few times near launch but doing stuff solo seems tedious and monotonous. If anyone here ever wants to crew up feel free to shoot me an invite. Is the an era club for this game on Xbox?

What's your gamertag? You should really try the Xbox/Windows LFG to find crews to play with. Put up an ad saying what you're looking to do and you'll find plenty of people! It's very good.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
I think we've decided our next challenge as a crew. Play using only the rowboat. (think we'd have to set aside a couple of weeks to do a single quest)

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the rowboat is criminally underappreciated - it's the most powerful vessel in the game imo :)

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
rowboat saved my ass tonight when i was playing solo about to cash in and forgot to check on the reapers mark ship that was going around causing trouble all night. had to leave a skull behind (it was a foul so whatever) but i managed to get away with the rest of my loot

Status
Not open for further replies.