• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Atlas being what it is made me want to.maybe get into this hard again. I think the reason I bailed was I really like to solo stuff a lot and in this game it seemed so lonely and labor intensive. Arena has me real interested and I think Rare has been doing a great job and I'm sure this game will continue getting good support and update in the future. Maybe it's time to try to Pirate legend. Hmmm.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
I think with what happened with Atlas it might have made more people look at Sea of Thieves for what it is.

A pirate game in its purest form. Sure it's still lacking in content but it's the best yet available for those with a taste of the pirate life.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
So, today I decided to do a fort by myself (yeah). Four waves in, I see a sloop approaching. They have the "host alliance" flag.

Now... I don't really like the concept of an alliance in this game because it can harm the suspense and threat of seeing another ship in the horizon. However, it was either that or engage in combat while being attacked by the fort, with great chances of the sloop coming back if I ended up sinking them (which was already an unlikely proposition, as the other crew had two people).

So I climbed up in the crow's nest and put the join alliance flag. Now I had the help of two other pirates to complete the fort -- this 13~14 y/o kid and the mute newbie dude on starter outfit. "I'll see how I'm going to get rid of them and steal all the treasure later", I thought.

The kid kept giving me obvious orders, like "hey, you should be throwing water on the metal skulls to deal more damage to them", or "you have to take the grass skulls off the water!!!" It was annoying and it only drove further my desire to backstab him.

When we were on the captain's wave, we spotted a galleon. It was far, but it wouldn't harm to be cautious. "Here's what we're doing: let's kill the captain and flee and sail away with the fort key for some 5 minutes, and then come back" -- yeah, no shit, kid. Once we killed the captain, he got the key and went straight to his ship. Skeptical of him planning something, I decided to jump on their sloop and accompany them. My vessel remained by the keep.

At a certain moment, the newbie was sailing parallelly to the now completed fort, and the kid cannonned himself into the island without saying a word. Out of curiosity, and suspicion, I sailed their sloop back to the keep, only to see my ship sinking from afar. Well, that's... certainly not fishy at all.

The kid started spouting some nonsense like "oh, I heard an explosion and when I crossed the island, I saw your sloop half sunk already. I rushed to repair it, but it was too late... Weird, isn't it? I guess you'll have to come with us now, tee hee."

With pleasure, you little fucker.

With no traces of the galleon in the horizon anymore, we loaded their rowboat with all the treasure. I kept an eye on the treasure and other on the kid; if he were planning to kill me, now would be the time. But nope -- soon, we were leaving with everything (and everyone).

I was almost starting to believe he wasn't planning anything at all, but as soon as we anchored at Galleon's Grave outpost, he drew the sword and started attacking me. The knockback caused by me deflecting his sword attacks along with him bunnyhopping all over the place made him fall into the water. Now would be the time for me to do what I like the most in this game: blowing up gunpowder barrels on the other crew's ship. The newbie had seemingly logged off, so perhaps it would be possible to turn things around.

After taking two pistol shots while climbing the crow's nest, I reached the top of the ladder with only a sliver of health left. Activated the stronghold gunpowder barrel, held it for two seconds and dropped it all the way down on the deck... What I had forgotten, though, is that its explosion radius is quite wide; wide enough to hit the gunpowder barrels on the crow's nest. So yeah, the plan wasn't exactly the best, but even though I died, I took him and his ship in the process.

After some really awkward "see what you've done?" moment with the kid at the Ferry of the Damned, I was back. And my sloop had respawned in the Sunken Grove -- which was right beside Galeon's Grave! With my heart racing, I broke the alliance and sailed towards the outpost, praying that no Kraken or ghost ship would appear to ruin my plans.

Thankfully, the rowboat somehow had survived the explosion. And the glint coming from it gave away my victory. :D

After selling everything (minus the mega gunpowder keg, whose sacrifice was needed to make this possible), I proceeded to send him some sarcastic messages on private. It's kind of a jerk thing to do, but he deserved it for being dumb enough to not backstab me before. And for giving me orders. Who the hell does he think I am?

Last edited:

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
So, today I decided to do a fort by myself (yeah). Four waves in, I see a sloop approaching. They have the "host alliance" flag.

Now... I don't really like the concept of an alliance in this game because it can harm the suspense and threat of seeing another ship in the horizon. However, it was either that or engage in combat while being attacked by the fort, with great chances of the sloop coming back if I ended up sinking them (which was already an unlikely proposition, as the other crew had two people).

So I climbed up in the crow's nest and put the join alliance flag. Now I had the help of two other pirates to complete the fort -- this 13~14 y/o kid and the mute newbie dude on starter outfit. "I'll see how I'm going to get rid of them and steal all the treasure later", I thought.

The kid kept giving me obvious orders, like "hey, you should be throwing water on the metal skulls to deal more damage to them", or "you have to take the grass skulls off the water!!!" It was annoying and it only drove further my desire to backstab him.

When we were on the captain's wave, we spotted a galleon. It was far, but it wouldn't harm to be cautious. "Here's what we're doing: let's kill the captain and flee and sail away with the fort key for some 5 minutes, and then come back" -- yeah, no shit, kid. Once we killed the captain, he got the key and went straight to his ship. Skeptical of him planning something, I decided to jump on their sloop and accompany them. My vessel remained by the keep.

At a certain moment, the newbie was sailing parallelly to the now completed fort, and the kid cannonned himself into the island without saying a word. Out of curiosity, and suspicion, I sailed their sloop back to the keep, only to see my ship sinking from afar. Well, that's... certainly not fishy at all.

The kid started spouting some nonsense like "oh, I heard an explosion and when I crossed the island, I saw your sloop half sunk already. I rushed to repair it, but it was too late... Weird, isn't it? I guess you'll have to come with us now, tee hee."

With pleasure, you little fucker.

With no traces of the galleon in the horizon anymore, we loaded their rowboat with all the treasure. I kept an eye on the treasure and other on the kid; if he were planning to kill me, now would be the time. But nope -- soon, we were leaving with everything (and everyone).

I was almost starting to believe he wasn't planning anything at all, but as soon as we anchored at Galleon's Grave outpost, he drew the sword and started attacking me. The knockback caused by me deflecting his sword attacks along with him bunnyhopping all over the place made him fall into the water. Now would be the time for me to do what I like the most in this game: blowing up gunpowder barrels on the other crew's ship. The newbie had seemingly logged off, so perhaps it would be possible to turn things around.

After taking two pistol shots while climbing the crow's nest, I reached the top of the ladder with only a sliver of health left. Activated the stronghold gunpowder barrel, held it for two seconds and dropped it all the way down on the deck... What I had forgotten, though, is that its explosion radius is quite wide; wide enough to hit the gunpowder barrels on the crow's nest. So yeah, the plan wasn't exactly the best, but even though I died, I took him and his ship in the process.

After some really awkward "see what you've done?" moment with the kid at the Ferry of the Damned, I was back. And my sloop had respawned in the Sunken Grove -- which was right beside Galeon's Grave! With my heart racing, I broke the alliance and sailed towards the outpost, praying that no Kraken or ghost ship would appear to ruin my plans.

Thankfully, the rowboat somehow had survived the explosion. And the glint coming from it gave away my victory. :D

After selling everything (minus the mega gunpowder keg, whose sacrifice was needed to make this possible), I proceeded to send him some sarcastic messages on private. It's kind of a jerk thing to do, but he deserved it for being dumb enough to not backstab me before. And for giving me orders. Who the hell does he think I am?
Lol.love these stories.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Can't wait for a new year of SoT content. Overall Rare definitely put out some decent post-launch content and made def some improvements from the vanilla/launch game.
Had a play session as of late with some random people and had way too much fun with it. The social element of the game remains my reason to come back and i just love it.

Arena is definitely going to be a nice addition and the hints of narrative-focused content definitely makes me happy.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if a glitch, but I was able to grab a second gilded voyage.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017
Once again Sea of Thieves is the #3 most watched games on Twitch, behind Fortnite and League of Legends.
kItCDUc.png

Last edited:

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Im still waiting for an update where they change the core gameplay loop( quests, better combat pve and pvp etc). Also i hope they do something with the combat because the pvp update sounds good but not with the current combat system

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Im still waiting for an update where they change the core gameplay loop( quests, better combat pve and pvp etc). Also i hope they do something with the combat because the pvp update sounds good but not with the current combat system
I'm pretty sure they've already confirmed an overhaul of the core / combat mechanics before the arena mode hits the game, but I can't find the link (potentially was in a developer update video?).

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Listened to a lot of Giant Bomb, Waypoint, and Gamers With Jobs year-end podcasts while driving a lot for the holidays. I highly recommend listening to Waypoint's episode about Sea of Thieves!

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/bjekm5/our-favorite-games-of-2018-sea-of-thieves

While so many others are cynical or jaded about the game, Waypoint seemed to "get" it like a lot of people here do. It was especially refreshing to listen to it after GWJ and Giant Bomb shat all over the game.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
The sea bits are perfect. Ship to ship combat,threats and enemies at sea etc. The ocean doesn't feel empty anymore which I really like. Ow hey need to give the land the same love. They need to bring some life and purpose to those islands.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Listened to a lot of Giant Bomb, Waypoint, and Gamers With Jobs year-end podcasts while driving a lot for the holidays. I highly recommend listening to Waypoint's episode about Sea of Thieves!

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/bjekm5/our-favorite-games-of-2018-sea-of-thieves

While so many others are cynical or jaded about the game, Waypoint seemed to "get" it like a lot of people here do. It was especially refreshing to listen to it after GWJ and Giant Bomb shat all over the game.
Cool will give it a listen to. A lot of the complaints are odd to me, people don't seem to like digging up treasure and complain that there is only skeletons to kill. That is one my favorite parts of the game lol. I absolutely love the treasure maps. Using natural skills to solve puzzles instead of using menus is very fun imo. Its like going on a scavenger hunt in real life. And the way Rare has put subtle natural clues all over the game is amazing.

And to be honest I never get tired of killing those skeletons. Very satisfying to me.

Then again, I may be weird. I would enjoy this game without the forced pvp which it seems to be the opposite case for a lot of people. I usually get pissed off when I see another player when playing solo. They either want to talk or kill me. Neither of which I have any interest of doing. I'll play co-op with real life friends if I want to group up.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
by order of the merchant alliance... bring wanda at daggertooth... 7 crates!

wtf, how?

EDIT, misread. not bring 7 crates to wanda, but some other npc with a W gives you 7 items. when did they add this?

Last edited:

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
The guy has over 50k viewers watching him hide on a boat.

Between this Twitch-fueled renewed interest and people getting Xboxes for Christmas, I'm noticing a ton of new players in the game, which is both cool and at times a little frustrating if you join a crew of randoms.
Hope it keeps coming. Really interested top see what's coming for this game this year.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The guy has over 50k viewers watching him hide on a boat.

Between this Twitch-fueled renewed interest and people getting Xboxes for Christmas, I'm noticing a ton of new players in the game, which is both cool and at times a little frustrating if you join a crew of randoms.

Not only that but when things didn't go according to plan for him tonight he and his crew had to improvise re-hiding and that was hilarious to watch. I didn't stay up to see if they were able to steal their Athena chest after all that but it was an entertaining stream even if I'm not a fan of the way summit plays the game or his attitude in PVP.

If this introduces more people to the game and how exciting some encounters can be, great. I think most would have a hard time trying to emulate Summit's play style right off the bat. But more exposure to the game is positive. Too many people who never bothered trying the game for themselves just chose to believe that the game is/was empty because various outlets told them so.

This is an extremely interesting time for the game. Lots of new players, lots of new exposure in streams, one of the very best updates to the game with Shrouded Spoils, and the Arena mode coming up.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Not only that but when things didn't go according to plan for him tonight he and his crew had to improvise re-hiding and that was hilarious to watch. I didn't stay up to see if they were able to steal their Athena chest after all that but it was an entertaining stream even if I'm not a fan of the way summit plays the game or his attitude in PVP.

If this introduces more people to the game and how exciting some encounters can be, great. I think most would have a hard time trying to emulate Summit's play style right off the bat. But more exposure to the game is positive. Too many people who never bothered trying the game for themselves just chose to believe that the game is/was empty because various outlets told them so.

This is an extremely interesting time for the game. Lots of new players, lots of new exposure in streams, one of the very best updates to the game with Shrouded Spoils, and the Arena mode coming up.

Oh, you best believe they got that 2nd stolen athena's chest in the end. At around 2am eastern time, lmao

tmkn

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's more incredible when you realize he's laying on the floor 90% of the time lol.
Did the devs intend this mechanic or is this Summit just being creative?
I never understood the purpose of the sleep pose so I'm inclined to believe that the devs intended it to be used that way but they never advertised it or anything.

netprints

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good way to get back into this game? No one on my friends list plays it. Trying to get on a big ship with randoms and it is not going well. I just quit out cause another ship came at us and people put explosive barrels on our ship and then shot me dead. We just grabbed one tiny chest and this was my first experience coming back to the game after being away from it.
Should I sail by my self? Not sure if I enjoy that as much.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a good way to get back into this game? No one on my friends list plays it. Trying to get on a big ship with randoms and it is not going well. I just quit out cause another ship came at us and people put explosive barrels on our ship and then shot me dead. We just grabbed one tiny chest and this was my first experience coming back to the game after being away from it.

I'll be on in a bit if you want to play. Probably going to run an Athena or two in the Devil's Roar. GT is same as username.

Alternatively, use LFG to find players. I use it often and find good crews.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
QUOTE="netprints, post: 16411045, member: 2685"]Is there a good way to get back into this game? No one on my friends list plays it. Trying to get on a big ship with randoms and it is not going well. I just quit out cause another ship came at us and people put explosive barrels on our ship and then shot me dead. We just grabbed one tiny chest and this was my first experience coming back to the game after being away from it.

I'll be on in a bit if you want to play. Probably going to run an Athena or two in the Devil's Roar. GT is same as username.

Alternatively, use LFG to find players. I use it often and find good crews.[/QUOTE]
can non athena people get athena quests too? How much xp is one of these chests worth for normies.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I have not idea what Athenas are. Haha

Pirate legend quests, gives you two of each kind of voyage plus a legendary chest at the end. In the Devil's Roar it's a fairly easy way to make about 50,000 gold in about 1-1.5 hours.

can non athena people get athena quests too? How much xp is one of these chests worth for normies.

Pirate Legends have to buy them from the legend hideout, but anyone can run it with you. You'll get 10 gold hoarder chests (mix of marauder and captain), 8 skulls (mix of hateful and villainous), and cargo if you want to do it. The Athena chest rep is only for Athena levels and worth 8,000+ gold. The Devil's Roar Athena chests are worth about double the rep a regular Athena chest is worth.

netprints

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pirate legend quests, gives you two of each kind of voyage plus a legendary chest at the end. In the Devil's Roar it's a fairly easy way to make about 50,000 gold in about 1-1.5 hours.

That is insane. I will add you. I logged off of the game. I was able to pull 3 chests for a nice 1,500 gold.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to make a Sea of Thieves "film" of sorts - try and capture some of the more amazing moments that can happen in a session.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
So I was cruising with my trusty rowboat (including some treasure and a boom boom), when I came by an active fort. Just as I passed it, the skull disappeared. Decided to pay a little visit ;)

Thanks for all the treasure!

Rowboat = <3

PS: Next mission will be to get several weeping chests on the rowboat and dock to an unsuspecting boat *MUHAHAHA*

Status
Not open for further replies.