• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
The other day me and a buddy decided to pick up the game again after being gone for probably about 4-5 months. I'm really liking a lot of these changes. Having different items and cannonballs in barrels is neat, and the rewards for visiting the Devils Roar stuff is nice. Basically just setting foot on the island can net you probably enough dubloons to get a livery and a nice few things for your ship..or some money/reputation. It was nice to have a full wheel of mission just by poking around in barrels when we came into the game. And the nice little christmas quest thing with a full wheel of treasure maps and each island had every chest be a Captain's Chest? I mean, we ended up only having some time for a few islands and walked away with probably 10-20K gold easy. That was more than i had really ever seen before!

I kind of enjoyed the new Merchant Alliance mission but I'm a little disappointed that there really hasn't been much in the way of making those more rewarding. Bringing chickens back or other animals seem to pale in comparison to things like the crates but those seemed to be relatively rare outside of missions for them specifically. I know people have been asking for them forever but NPC ships with lootable chests would be nice for the merchants or saving them from a Skelly ship (where like, the merchants are being attacked in the water, you can go after the skelly ship and sink them while the crew from the merchants join up with your team. There's obviously AI there for the crew to repair/man cannons.)

Im excited to see what new stuff the game will roll out next year. Is there an ETA to the end of these current doubloon reward things? Will new ones appear after? I think I had a few doubloons left from a previous event and i dunno if should hold onto them or dump them into some free gold

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The other day me and a buddy decided to pick up the game again after being gone for probably about 4-5 months. I'm really liking a lot of these changes. Having different items and cannonballs in barrels is neat, and the rewards for visiting the Devils Roar stuff is nice. Basically just setting foot on the island can net you probably enough dubloons to get a livery and a nice few things for your ship..or some money/reputation. It was nice to have a full wheel of mission just by poking around in barrels when we came into the game. And the nice little christmas quest thing with a full wheel of treasure maps and each island had every chest be a Captain's Chest? I mean, we ended up only having some time for a few islands and walked away with probably 10-20K gold easy. That was more than i had really ever seen before!

I kind of enjoyed the new Merchant Alliance mission but I'm a little disappointed that there really hasn't been much in the way of making those more rewarding. Bringing chickens back or other animals seem to pale in comparison to things like the crates but those seemed to be relatively rare outside of missions for them specifically. I know people have been asking for them forever but NPC ships with lootable chests would be nice for the merchants or saving them from a Skelly ship (where like, the merchants are being attacked in the water, you can go after the skelly ship and sink them while the crew from the merchants join up with your team. There's obviously AI there for the crew to repair/man cannons.)

Im excited to see what new stuff the game will roll out next year. Is there an ETA to the end of these current doubloon reward things? Will new ones appear after? I think I had a few doubloons left from a previous event and i dunno if should hold onto them or dump them into some free gold
the first patch of the year should be sometime this week (maybe even tomorrow?) when rares back in office and thatll remove the wailing barnacle set & gilded voyages from dukes shop

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Speaking about the sale, I got a quick question...

I'm currently subscribed to gamepass, but I don't really play the other stuff it offers (and I don't even plan to -- my backlog is already big enough as it is), so I'll probably buy SoT and cancel the subscription.

HOWEVER

I'm on PC, and I found out I'm using an account X to log into the Microsoft Store (which has the subscription), while using the account Y to play on the Xbox app. I was planning on buying the game on the account Y, so I'll need to worry about only one account, but I don't know if my progress is stored on the Xbox app or Microsoft Store (I suppose it's the former, but...)

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking about the sale, I got a quick question...

I'm currently subscribed to gamepass, but I don't really play the other stuff it offers (and I don't even plan to -- my backlog is already big enough as it is), so I'll probably buy SoT and cancel the subscription.

HOWEVER

I'm on PC, and I found out I'm using an account X to log into the Microsoft Store (which has the subscription), while using the account Y to play on the Xbox app. I was planning on buying the game on the account Y, so I'll need to worry about only one account, but I don't know if my progress is stored on the Xbox app or Microsoft Store (I suppose it's the former, but...)

Your progress should be tied to the gamertag/account your pirate was using in game.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
jUnp9ZB.png

Summit with 38k viewers. Still going strong.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Summit + 50% off sale is breathing some new life into this game for sure. Been playing since the closed beta and I've had my fair share of incredible experiences in this game, including becoming a Pirate Legend right before christmas, but it's been difficult firing up SoT after my friends gave up on the game due to the shallow nature of it. My friends have picked it up again though, seeing the steals Summit has pulled off the past few weeks, so I truly believe he is bringing people back on the seas.

And while that is great, I still feel a bit ambivalent about the people he bring into this game. If all they do is trying to play like him, they will be struggling. PvE and PvP players need each other for this to work out. If the vast majority of players roam the seas to only steal huge hauls, it will never happen, because there's simply no players out there digging up all the treasure for them to steal.

Which brings me on to the next topic. These strictly moderated PvE fleet discord servers needs to die. That, or the alliance mechanic needs a massive overhaul. What's in it for us regulars if all these hardcore PvE players stay in closed communities, systematically taking over entire servers where nobody else has a chance to join and mess around. As it stands right now, they have literally nothing to worry about, since there no way for "outsiders" to join their games. The game was never meant to work this way, and Rare has to do something to combat that.

I know it sucks to lose hours of work to other players. It SHOULD suck to lose hours of work to other players. That's what makes this game special. The game is called Sea of Thieves. If you isolate youself from thieves, there's no point in playing this game.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
I know it sucks to lose hours of work to other players. It SHOULD suck to lose hours of work to other players. That's what makes this game special. The game is called Sea of Thieves. If you isolate youself from thieves, there's no point in playing this game.
I've felt the same way for awhile, that PvE is dreadfully boring without risk of PvP. But the fact that PvE servers exist and that people play and enjoy it proves that I'm wrong. All the people playing PvE-only are getting some enjoyment out of it and are not hurting the game or cheating anyone else

Community driven narratives are the trademark of a good sandbox game, and even though PvE-only is not a narrative I enjoy doesn't mean it's bad

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Summit + 50% off sale is breathing some new life into this game for sure. Been playing since the closed beta and I've had my fair share of incredible experiences in this game, including becoming a Pirate Legend right before christmas, but it's been difficult firing up SoT after my friends gave up on the game due to the shallow nature of it. My friends have picked it up again though, seeing the steals Summit has pulled off the past few weeks, so I truly believe he is bringing people back on the seas.

And while that is great, I still feel a bit ambivalent about the people he bring into this game. If all they do is trying to play like him, they will be struggling. PvE and PvP players need each other for this to work out. If the vast majority of players roam the seas to only steal huge hauls, it will never happen, because there's simply no players out there digging up all the treasure for them to steal.

Which brings me on to the next topic. These strictly moderated PvE fleet discord servers needs to die. That, or the alliance mechanic needs a massive overhaul. What's in it for us regulars if all these hardcore PvE players stay in closed communities, systematically taking over entire servers where nobody else has a chance to join and mess around. As it stands right now, they have literally nothing to worry about, since there no way for "outsiders" to join their games. The game was never meant to work this way, and Rare has to do something to combat that.

Tools, not rules. Let people play how they want to play.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017

Gregg Mayles' twitter is a goldmine if you want to know more about the development of Sea of Thieves.

That flow chart about "crew savior" is interesting; definitely from a completely separate build where your ship could be officially stolen. Crazy to see something so significant just straight up cut

This game definitely lacks any sort of ship ownership/stakes, would love to see them work it in later. But like they said the mechanics would be tough. I have my heart set on a ship cosmetic that can be stolen/lost

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
That flow chart about "crew savior" is interesting; definitely from a completely separate build where your ship could be officially stolen. Crazy to see something so significant just straight up cut

This game definitely lacks any sort of ship ownership/stakes, would love to see them work it in later. But like they said the mechanics would be tough. I have my heart set on a ship cosmetic that can be stolen/lost

If they did that people wouldn't even have to "buy/negotiate" ships off other crews to control a server. You could brute force it. Might be fun to steal skeleton ships though.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
I often thought ships should be able to be stolen. Like if I board an enemy ship, I can choose to run up a flag to signify I'm stealing it. The crew of that ship have say... 30 seconds to try and contest it (the process can only be started if the ship is unmanned - the current crew are either on the ship of the damned or off ship at the time) if I successfully steal it, that crew would spawn back at a new ship of their own, but their old ships location would be shown on the map, meaning they could steal it back - and if successful would earn a bounty reward.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
made a burner account last night on the very slim chance I was A) in the mood to grind low level order for Voyager of Lost Souls but B) couldnt find anyone low level to play with & help teach the game. dont expect to ever use it much, but wanted to have something already in my pocket if the need arose (those commendation pages are filling out, im gonna have to focus on it sometime!). rolled a pirate with eyes so small and thin but eye bags so large and sunken it looked like she didnt have eyes at all and thought "Well shit she looks too cool to just leave in sailor gear". went out and did a skull fort so she could have a half decent outfit for the minute shes out dropping a voyage
sz1Zgef.png

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
All the people playing PvE-only are getting some enjoyment out of it and are not hurting the game or cheating anyone else
They actually do though, in a weird way. They are giving PvPers no way of trying to steal their loot. The game was never designed to work like that. And how fair is it for people doing PvE the normal way, that actually put themselves at risk for PvP encounters. I honestly don't see how these small, segregated, heavily moderated discord servers can be good for the community as a whole. They're actively trying to hide themselves the best they can to not let the world in, that's not a healthy community environment.

Tools, not rules. Let people play how they want to play.
I don't know man. Threads about PvE servers are getting locked in the official forums. Oh, and I actually asked on the main SoT community discord the other day how people join these PvE servers and I got told by serveral people that it was frowned upon and that Rare saw it as a bannable offense. I'm happy that Rare is on the ball with this. I don't like to see people game the system, putting themselves at no risk of losing their treasure.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Just saw the current discussion, and I honestly could not care less a microscopic number of the population temporarily have a server. I just dont get what exactly im losing in this equation.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I have a Xbox One and Game Pass, but I literally have like no friends on Xbox, everyone plays on PS these days.

Is this game even worth my time if I'll be playing alone?

Keep in mind, it would cost me nothing now as I already have Game Pass.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a Xbox One and Game Pass, but I literally have like no friends on Xbox, everyone plays on PS these days.

Is this game even worth my time if I'll be playing alone?

Keep in mind, it would cost me nothing now as I already have Game Pass.

There is an official (run by Rare) and unofficial (from the subreddit) Discord server that both offer easy means of finding other players to crew with, outside of joining open crews and hoping for the best randoms available. Xbox's LFG tool may help as well.

You can play alone if you want, but playing with a crew helps the experience a lot (safety, efficiency, hijinks, etc)

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
How so? I havent really bothered with it because of the learning curve to row.
its really simple once you start using the handbrake to turn in place. On controller its bumpers to handbrake so LB+RT turns you right i believe. Rowboats have been way too valuable to me in getting away with fortkeys/loot in emergencies or just doing cargo runs in general (monsters dont spawn on them so its perfect for safely turning in bottles). You can also use them to quickly scoop up supplies from barrels if theyre not close to the boat or gather loot from megs/skele ships/krakens (once the ink is gone) without worrying about sharks. There is also of course rowing out to an island to knock out a riddle or bottle map that you dont need the whole crew for & rowing to cash in the loot without stopping progress on the crews main focus. If youre sneaking onto a docked ship you can steal loot and get away on the rowboat ofc, but you can also drop it and have a reentry point thats not the ladders since it can be reattached

edit- the other "trick" i suppose is having to remember the turns are flipped when you look behind yourself. Just something you gotta get a feel for and it becomes second nature. After that rowing is just dexterity/time lol

Last edited:

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Threw together a quick test video with a view to making more movies within the Sea of Thieves world. Yes, generic track use, but I just wanted to see how it would look.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Threw together a quick test video with a view to making more movies within the Sea of Thieves world. Yes, generic track use, but I just wanted to see how it would look.

It says video not available..

Edit: Video works when opening directly in Youtube, looks like there might be a problem watching Youtube videos embedded on ResetEra.

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Some people are mad at them for announcing this only 30 minutes ahead of time, losing their gilded voyages.

Kinda have to agree. Could have done this a day or at the very least a couple of hours beforehand.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't see how these small, segregated, heavily moderated discord servers can be good for the community as a whole.
Because they wouldn't be part of the greater community anyways. They otherwise wouldn't play SoT at all, which I can't blame them for if they genuinely don't enjoy the PvP aspects

All they do in PvE is collect extra gold and levels, which Rare has rendered pretty meaningless anyways. No genuine harm, and even if you view it as an "unintended" mechanic, they're harmless

I understand the impulse to think they are damaging the game ("if everyone plays PvE Rare might accommodate them at the expense of the playstyle I love") but I can't fault them for that; it's how game development and design works. We all live in fear that the game type which scratches our itch might not be popular enough to warrant creation. But that's not the fault of other people enjoying different gameplay than us

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Servers are up!

BUG REPORT - If you're experiencing any damage effects (drowning/poisioned etc) you can't open barrels and pick stuff up.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Finally submitted my GOTY picks for the Resetera GOTY thing. With Sea of Thieves firmly at number one, of course.

What a game, what a year. Over 500 hours with this thing.

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
Did they say anywhere that Shrouded Spoils would end today? I thought it would end next week.

Just logged on to get the last of the timed cosmetics and they've gone. Knew I should have done it yesterday :(

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah, the communication wasn't on point this time. I guess we can blame the holiday season.

Also interesting to see the hostility in the servers increase with the rising number of players. Interested to see what Rare will do about it, besides showing the pirate code in a dev video.. ;)

EDIT: Good response by them.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Thank God.

I play on PC, and I'm well aware of the advantage it could give me, but fuck if it's cheap as all hell. Hope to god it gets patched.

Simple decent changes to the gun combat could be:

Ammo pick up off corpses/ammo pouch.
Only 1 gun at a time.
No jumping when reloading.

I like the idea of ammo pickups honestly but I'm not sure about limiting you to 1 gun at a time. I often use two guns and I've never done double gunning combat 'exploits'. I like the idea of a tiny cool down between shots when switching guns. Enough so it's not a problem for general use but just enough so that you can quick shot two bullets.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Thank God.

I play on PC, and I'm well aware of the advantage it could give me, but fuck if it's cheap as all hell. Hope to god it gets patched.

Simple decent changes to the gun combat could be:

Ammo pick up off corpses/ammo pouch.
Only 1 gun at a time.
No jumping when reloading.

All they really need to do is have some delay or animation between switching from one gun to another. Would at least allow the target to move away.
No jumping when reloading would be an interesting change too.

I agree with picking up ammo off corpses if they had the weapon type you have equipped. Or being able to knock bananas out of the ones who are cronching them when you kill them. Maybe a % chance a skeleton will drop their weapon when hit. Would be great for dealing with eye of reach skeletons. Knockback on skeletons that you shoot with the eye of reach. There are so many things they could do with the combat in this game to give it more finesse.

Status
Not open for further replies.