• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Is there a listing somewhere about what the best items to sell are? I'm trying to level up some of the lower groups (namely the Merchants) and I'm kind of seeing different XP growth depending on the items. Likely, Devils Roar stuff is better, right?

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a listing somewhere about what the best items to sell are? I'm trying to level up some of the lower groups (namely the Merchants) and I'm kind of seeing different XP growth depending on the items. Likely, Devils Roar stuff is better, right?

Merchants, any quests with Gold animals, devil's roar supposedly give more XP, but I'm not sure if I 100% believe that. Skull Forts for bone dust and mega kegs is a good shout too.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Doing a shenanigans filled stream tonight for around the next 6 hours. We find the british servers pretty quiet on a Friday night, so we're going to give the US servers a shout and see if we get into some mischief.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new players Summit is bringing into this game

CHESTS
Castaway (ave. ~100) < Seafarer's (Ave ~200) < Marauder's (Ave ~400) < Captain's (Ave ~1000)
1000 Grogs (Ave. 1000) < Sorrow (Ave. 1300) < Stronghold (Ave ~2500)

SKULLS
Foul (Ave. ~130) < Disgraced (Ave. ~275) < Hateful (Ave. ~550)< Villanous (Ave ~1100) < Stronghold (Ave ~3300)

Ashen (Devil's Roar) is worth roughly 2X their non-ashen variants so:

Ashen Castaway (ave. ~200) < Ashen Seafarer's (Ave ~400) < Ashen Marauder's (Ave ~800) < Ashen Captain's (Ave ~2000)
iirc the same applies to Skulls

for the most part screw Merch Quests, turn in Mermaid Gems (1000/1500/2000) / Strongold Powderkegs (~3000) / Exquisite Spice, etc
- The Devil's roar Merch quests are worth more (iirc ~800 per item in pristine condition)
- - keeping the plants in water is a pain
- - keeping the Cloth out of water is a pain (Rowboat is necessary)
- - not jumping/falling with the Rum is a pain.

@ around Gold hoarder 30 most of my voyage quests resulted in Ashen Captains making it the most effective (and safest) way to farm gold.

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
been back in for the last week or so playing fairly heavily - have yet to see fog. where on the map is that most common?

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Can someone explain how alliances work? My buddy and I have flown the searching for alliance flag on our ship but there's never anyone who wants to join.

Yesterday we encountered someone with what I think was an alliance flag (there was like a red light up on the crow's nest ane we could see them on the map) and then they rammed us and shot cannons at our sloop. As we rewspawned and went after them a kraken came to attack us so we got double bombarded....for two fucking garbage castaway chests.

I just wanted to team up with another ship mang ;-;

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Lack of time for gaming has kept me away for many moons. Have they made or mentioned any changes to pve combat?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Lack of time for gaming has kept me away for many moons. Have they made or mentioned any changes to pve combat?

Combat is getting an overhaul, but no ETA.

They are going to talk about the doublegunning in next weeks dev update.

Besides that, the PvE combat on the seas has improved. They've added the cursed cannonballs and the skeleton ships. And the Kraken has got new moves and it feels way more immersive (and it can be a pain in the ass too)

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain how alliances work? My buddy and I have flown the searching for alliance flag on our ship but there's never anyone who wants to join.

Yesterday we encountered someone with what I think was an alliance flag (there was like a red light up on the crow's nest ane we could see them on the map) and then they rammed us and shot cannons at our sloop. As we rewspawned and went after them a kraken came to attack us so we got double bombarded....for two fucking garbage castaway chests.

I just wanted to team up with another ship mang ;-;

The red flag that shows up ghostly on the map is the Reaper's Mark. Anyone can see you on the map when you fly the Reaper's Mark.

On the second tab of the flag select menu there is an 'offer alliance' flag, which is white with a red heart on it. When you are next to a ship that is flying the 'offer alliance' flag, a separate flag will show up in the interface next to the 'offer alliance' option named 'join alliance'.

If you or the other ship selects 'join alliance' you will enter into an alliance. When in an alliance, you appear on the other ship's map 24/7. Your allies receive 50% of whatever loot you turn in (you don't lose anything).

Be careful though, there is still friendly fire and people in your alliance can still betray you.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Atlas launch state got.me back into this game again and I've been having a blast. Really love what they've done with the random ocean encounters. Hunting Meg's, and ghost skeleton ships has been a blast and often pay off very well. This game is really special and hope they keep building on it. If they make islands feel as rewarding as the sea right now I'll be a happy pirate. I'm at 40 , 40, 35. Pushing on to legend.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

They are going to talk about the doublegunning in next weeks dev update.

Besides that, the PvE combat on the seas has improved. They've added the cursed cannonballs and the skeleton ships. And the Kraken has got new moves and it feels way more immersive (and it can be a pain in the ass too)

I think the approach they've made to adding dynamism to sea encounters would also work well on land- namely consumables that you can use to add an advantage.

Potions that curse your gunshots, or give a temporary resistance boost...Eating a banana leaves a peel as a tripping hazard... You could bowl cannon balls into a crowd to knock them all down... That sort of thing to allow for more creativity in fights.

Doublegunning seems like an easy fix. Just increase the time it takes to ready the weapon after switching.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Atlas launch state got.me back into this game again and I've been having a blast. Really love what they've done with the random ocean encounters. Hunting Meg's, and ghost skeleton ships has been a blast and often pay off very well. This game is really special and hope they keep building on it. If they make islands feel as rewarding as the sea right now I'll be a happy pirate. I'm at 40 , 40, 35. Pushing on to legend.
its interesting we see all these rock paintings of epic land (as well as sea) beasts, but nothing in the game. i know the focus is sailing, but like you said, we need interesting threats/challenges/quests involving land too

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
its interesting we see all these rock paintings of epic land (as well as sea) beasts, but nothing in the game. i know the focus is sailing, but like you said, we need interesting threats/challenges/quests involving land too
Yeah I just want more variety on land and in Skelly forts. More wild life and enemy variety. They have some really cool islands that feel very underutilized.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

I just hope it really is an overhaul. I played the game for the first time in a long time today and while a lot of things have been improved and evolved since the game's launch the combat continues to be a massive weakness. To be honest, I'm really not sure what elements of the combat are even worth keeping. I get that it's not simply a case of copying the mechanics of another game, but I genuinely don't derive any enjoyment from any part of the gun or sword combat whether against humans or skellies. Adding more layers can't exactly hurt, but it would be wiser for Rare to spend time addressing the fundamentals.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I just hope it really is an overhaul. I played the game for the first time in a long time today and while a lot of things have been improved and evolved since the game's launch the combat continues to be a massive weakness. To be honest, I'm really not sure what elements of the combat are even worth keeping. I get that it's not simply a case of copying the mechanics of another game, but I genuinely don't derive any enjoyment from any part of the gun or sword combat whether against humans or skellies. Adding more layers can't exactly hurt, but it would be wiser for Rare to spend time addressing the fundamentals.

We'll have to wait and see if they will do any meaningful changes. There is 0 information on it right now, besides them looking at the doublegunning in the short-term.

But to be honest, with Arena being in testing already I don't see them changing the fundamentals of it.. but who knows.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
We'll have to wait and see if they will do any meaningful changes. There is 0 information on it right now, besides them looking at the doublegunning in the short-term.

But to be honest, with Arena being in testing already I don't see them changing the fundamentals of it.. but who knows.

No, nor do I, it would be extremely unusual for a released game to make those kind of changes, but then this isn't a particularly typical game.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't hate the combat as much as others. Maybe it's cause I use a mouse but the skeletons seem like a janky enemy. It's just really jerky. I'm interested to seeing what they are changing but I'm obviously not expecting them to have mordhau level melee. I also wish melee was strictly third person and more animation based.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Can we talk about how often gunpowder skeletons spawn? Like, I'm not sure if their spawn rate is affected by the kind of quest you're doing, but it's really annoying either way. The quest ends up taking a lot longer because you're always running away from them (or dying in an explosion).

Also, I feel like the PvE side of things isn't fully balanced for smaller crews. For instance, fighting a horde of gunned skeletons solo or just with someone else can be a nightmare. Stuff like Kraken, Megalodon or ghost ships, on the other hand, are definitely balanced and feel fair.

Having mandatory ghost ship fights is absolute bullshit though, IMO.

Last edited:

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
Can we talk about how often gunpowder skeletons spawn? Like, I'm not sure if their spawn rate is affected by the kind of quest you're doing, but it's really annoying either way. The quest ends up taking a lot longer because you're always running away from them (or dying in an explosion).

Also, I feel like the PvE side of things isn't fully balanced for smaller crews. For instance, fighting a horde of gunned skeletons solo or just with someone else can be a nightmare. Stuff like Kraken, Megalodon or ghost ships, on the other hand, are definitely balanced and feel fair.

Having mandatory ghost ship fights is absolute bullshit though, IMO.
GP skellies make the quests go faster IMO. Fort waves with GP skellies are essentially over in two shots. They certainly have their inconvenient moments (like during an earthquake), and force a "always carry sniper" meta for PVE, but done right they kill enough skeletons to be worth it. Anyone around at the start and grinding out metal skeleton waves solo on the tops of Thieves/Kraken/Discovery/Devils can attest to that

I'd almost argue they're MORE inconvenient for large groups. Duo works well for callouts (since you normally know where your partner is when he shouts "gunpowder") but the larger the group the more chaotic it gets and the more confusion about when/who shoots it

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Me and my buddy just pulled our dirtiest heist yet. Saw a galleon taking on a skull fort He goes and hides behind some rock island and i make my way on to their crows nest and lay in an explosive barrel. I sit there for a very long time. These guys were pretty bad at clearing waves. I wait till they clear it and hope they don't spot me a they bring more barrels up to the nest. They put down 4 including the stronghold one. As soon as i hear the capstan turning I ignite the stronghold barrel and drop it on them. Kills all 4 and sinks their ship. My buddy comes by picks me up with all the goodies and we deliver uncontested. I think the most exciting part is that it all went exactly to plan. I know the stronghold barrel is worth a good amount but a normal one would not have had the power to kill them all and sink their ship fast enough for them to not respawn on it.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Me and my buddy just pulled our dirtiest heist yet. Saw a galleon taking on a skull fort He goes and hides behind some rock island and i make my way on to their crows nest and lay in an explosive barrel. I sit there for a very long time. These guys were pretty bad at clearing waves. I wait till they clear it and hope they don't spot me a they bring more barrels up to the nest. They put down 4 including the stronghold one. As soon as i hear the capstan turning I ignite the stronghold barrel and drop it on them. Kills all 4 and sinks their ship. My buddy comes by picks me up with all the goodies and we deliver uncontested. I think the most exciting part is that it all went exactly to plan. I know the stronghold barrel is worth a good amount but a normal one would not have had the power to kill them all and sink their ship fast enough for them to not respawn on it.

Bravo - that is some good shit.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't hate the combat as much as others. Maybe it's cause I use a mouse but the skeletons seem like a janky enemy. It's just really jerky. I'm interested to seeing what they are changing but I'm obviously not expecting them to have mordhau level melee. I also wish melee was strictly third person and more animation based.

They just aren't all that fun to deal with. Especially higher level ones. You can't really dodge their gunshots, and they take a lot of damage. But you can only fire a couple of shots before you have to retreat for ammo-

The melee could be fun in first person, but the system over-uses delayed input response as a balancing mechanism, which makes it feel slow and clunky.

As a result of all this, dealing with skeletons feels like a chore most of the time. Funneling into an area where you can ambush them, Resorting to the same repetitive tactic until all the waves are through.

I think gun fights would be better if 1) you could pickup ammo from corpses and 2) there was a tell that could be used to time when to dodge gunshots.

With Melee they need to get rid of the stun and shrink the input delays.

There need to be more combat options in general. Gunpowder barrels are, disappointingly, the only real crowd control mechanism. And few of the other items you carry have any use in combat- I feel there are missed opportunities here.

Last edited:

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I think Molotov cocktails could be neat. Especially for PvE. Not sure how they'd balance them but they would be fun. Throwing one at a ship would mean a small aoe damage area that needs to be out out with water. A good way to keep people off canons etc.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Golden skellies on some of the newer forts are so fucking frustrating to deal with. Definitely need to add pools of water closer to the top.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
They just aren't all that fun to deal with. Especially higher level ones. You can't really dodge their gunshots, and they take a lot of damage. But you can only fire a couple of shots before you have to retreat for ammo-

The melee could be fun in first person, but the system over-uses delayed input response as a balancing mechanism, which makes it feel slow and clunky.

As a result of all this, dealing with skeletons feels like a chore most of the time. Funneling into an area where you can ambush them, Resorting to the same repetitive tactic until all the waves are through.

I think gun fights would be better if 1) you could pickup ammo from corpses and 2) there was a tell that could be used to time when to dodge gunshots.

With Melee they need to get rid of the stun and shrink the input delays.

There need to be more combat options in general. Gunpowder barrels are, disappointingly, the only real crowd control mechanism. And few of the other items you carry have any use in combat- I feel there are missed opportunities here.

Just in general I'd love to understand how they went about designing combat for a pirate game and ended up with something so utterly lacking in dynamism. Think about all that they have to use as reference, myriad great games that literally revolve around guns, swords and combat, and the massive Pirates of the Caribbean franchise which must have at least an hour of exhilirating action scenes between the five films. How does Sea of Thieves evoke none of it?

Chore is the word I would use too, and it's not even that I've done it too much, I've never enjoyed the combat at all, right from the moment gun combat was first implemented through to now. It's always felt off. The lack of auto-aim on a pad. The lack of headshot mechanic. The relatively small amount of time devoted to shooting up against the massive amount of time passively watching a reload animation. The bunny hopping that all player vs player fights devolved into. The clunky and delayed hit reactions from skeletons. Then the sword was implemented and it was, somehow, far worse. Initially I was hopeful that, given the time to launch, and given the way Rare had talked about evolving the game after launch, it might eventually get there. It hasn't. At all.

Some of the design decisions are just really hard to understand. That enemies don't drop anything when they die ignores the precedent from every shooter I can think of, as does the lack of headshots/area specific damage, as does the lack of auto-aim for pads. Overall the impression I get with all of it is that combat just wasn't that big of a priority for Rare, but it's hard to reconcile that given how much of the game revolves around it.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
GP skellies make the quests go faster IMO. Fort waves with GP skellies are essentially over in two shots. They certainly have their inconvenient moments (like during an earthquake), and force a "always carry sniper" meta for PVE, but done right they kill enough skeletons to be worth it. Anyone around at the start and grinding out metal skeleton waves solo on the tops of Thieves/Kraken/Discovery/Devils can attest to that

I'd almost argue they're MORE inconvenient for large groups. Duo works well for callouts (since you normally know where your partner is when he shouts "gunpowder") but the larger the group the more chaotic it gets and the more confusion about when/who shoots it

I mean, I agree: they do help when you're in the heat of the moment against skeletons for OOS quests. However, when you're doing anything else, like:

- Searching for the actual quest skeletons
- Gathering resources
- Turning in stuff from cargo runs
- Reading the treasure map
- Digging up treasures
- Solving riddles

Their presence becomes an absolute pain, IMO.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I think Molotov cocktails could be neat. Especially for PvE. Not sure how they'd balance them but they would be fun. Throwing one at a ship would mean a small aoe damage area that needs to be out out with water. A good way to keep people off canons etc.

Yeah that would be cool. I had an idea a long time ago that they could use fireworks.- They'd be an area effect weapon for combat , but also be used to communicate and for goofing off with friends.

Golden skellies on some of the newer forts are so fucking frustrating to deal with. Definitely need to add pools of water closer to the top.

That would be a decent bandaid. But wouldnt do much for the fact that encounters are so one dimensional. I think we need more ways to attack (maybe bring the "cursed" concept to land combat) and more ways to defend ourselves beyond running away.

Just in general I'd love to understand how they went about designing combat for a pirate game and ended up with something so utterly lacking in dynamism. Think about all that they have to use as reference, myriad great games that literally revolve around guns, swords and combat, and the massive Pirates of the Caribbean franchise which must have at least an hour of exhilirating action scenes between the five films. How does Sea of Thieves evoke none of it?

Chore is the word I would use too, and it's not even that I've done it too much, I've never enjoyed the combat at all, right from the moment gun combat was first implemented through to now. It's always felt off. The lack of auto-aim on a pad. The lack of headshot mechanic. The relatively small amount of time devoted to shooting up against the massive amount of time passively watching a reload animation. The bunny hopping that all player vs player fights devolved into. The clunky and delayed hit reactions from skeletons. Then the sword was implemented and it was, somehow, far worse. Initially I was hopeful that, given the time to launch, and given the way Rare had talked about evolving the game after launch, it might eventually get there. It hasn't. At all.

Some of the design decisions are just really hard to understand. That enemies don't drop anything when they die ignores the precedent from every shooter I can think of, as does the lack of headshots/area specific damage, as does the lack of auto-aim for pads. Overall the impression I get with all of it is that combat just wasn't that big of a priority for Rare, but it's hard to reconcile that given how much of the game revolves around it.

The lack of auto-aim doesn't bother me much, but coupled with the insistence on flow-breaking animations, the ammo situation, the no headshots/weakspots, and the resulting one dimensional tactics, makes the lack of auto-aim so much more apparent that it otherwise would be.

Its clear that on-foot combat got the short end of the stick when it comes to development time. I can't help but think they hoped to deemphasize that aspect of the game by design, so that players would focus on the more emergent aspects. But somehow forgot that there's a lack of tools for making the combat feel emergent as well.

Last edited:

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nice. I don't pay too much attention during turn in beyond the item disappearing, but I did notice a bunch of rewards popping when I was back to solo slooping several minutes later. I actually checked to see if I joined an alliance without remembering.

Makes sense that it was just another post patch bug.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
So March approaches - outside of the Arena, due whenever (My guess is late January/Early February?) Sea of Thieves will be celebrating it's 1st Anniversary.

Do we think that this is the time to drop the big "lore/story" update? A big in-game celebration of "year 1"?

What do we think/hope it'll involve?

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
So March approaches - outside of the Arena, due whenever (My guess is late January/Early February?) Sea of Thieves will be celebrating it's 1st Anniversary.

Do we think that this is the time to drop the big "lore/story" update? A big in-game celebration of "year 1"?

What do we think/hope it'll involve?
I hope something cool for people who have been playing since launch (I know we got a Launch Crew Sniper and the Day 1 eyepatch) would be awesome.

I'd like to see more events like Devils Roar here were it was relatively easy getting some cosmetic stuff for the boat. I hard hardly amassed enough gold to get any liverys for the boat before I stopped playing and coming back on, landing on islands and getting a ton of doubloons and being able to get a new paint job, figurehead and sails was an incredible thing.

Maybe a cute quest where you have to visit every regular island and do a jig on them or something. A big lore update/story quest would be much welcome as well.
We need a nerf on the Skeleton ships spawning all over the damn place, especially if there's multiple things going on (we had one spawn nearly 2 seconds after a Kraken was killed, other times we're out hunting a shark and one will pop up, leaving us at a huge disadvantage)

I'd like to see some way to carry ammo, like an ammo chest you can pick up and carry around outside of the ship for your crew. It could be stolen but would also provide you a ammo restock (maybe with limits, so you can only refill your 5 shots a few times). It'd be fun to turn in some other items too, like I see little non-pickupable loot all the time on islands; things like lanterns, bottles, books etc or even things like whole storage barrels and rowboats) and it'd be cool to bring all this stuff with you and turn it in somewhere. Maybe the merchants or another faction that deals with buying and selling large quantities of items. Merchants could be retooled so you could buy a large chunk of cannonballs, bananas, planks for gold and carry the shipments to your boat in the already made boxes. (it should cost double the normal worth of them, so like 2000 gold for 50 of the item) and then you could resell it when you're done playing for the day.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Chasing after legend commendations led me to a situation where I needed to complete athena voyages, but I didnt really have a use for the chest at the end (im already max level, and i dont really need the money). So i thought itd be fun to concoct a little prize haul on one of the outposts as a challenge to other crews. I also added skullfort loot to sweeten the pot a bit! To my surprise & delight multiple crews teamed up to split the loot

LyhVfEB.jpg

LI60Kip.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.