• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Chasing after legend commendations led me to a situation where I needed to complete athena voyages, but I didnt really have a use for the chest at the end (im already max level, and i dont really need the money). So i thought itd be fun to concoct a little prize haul on one of the outposts as a challenge to other crews. I also added skullfort loot to sweeten the pot a bit! To my surprise & delight multiple crews teamed up to split the loot

LyhVfEB.jpg

LI60Kip.jpg

man would that have made me happy.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Chasing after legend commendations led me to a situation where I needed to complete athena voyages, but I didnt really have a use for the chest at the end (im already max level, and i dont really need the money). So i thought itd be fun to concoct a little prize haul on one of the outposts as a challenge to other crews. I also added skullfort loot to sweeten the pot a bit! To my surprise & delight multiple crews teamed up to split the loot

LyhVfEB.jpg

LI60Kip.jpg

That's flipping awesome!

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Making great progress. 43, 42 and 39. Hoarding Dubaloons so I can buy my way up from 45 each. The dream of pirate legend soon!

Yk3MJgS.png

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
So Arena going to pioneers soon, I guess.

Double gunning was not intended and it was not designed to be like this. So they'll fix that.
A streamer mode will be in the next update too.

But not much new information.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
This might be a NDA thing but I'll ask anyway in case it ain't. How long does pioneer test phases last? I don't know why, but I kinda expected they were further along with Arena than they actually are. The fact that there's no pioneer build yet shows it's still a ways away.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
YAAAR! fellow Pirates! Just joined ResetEra basically for the Sea Of Thieves OT lol

This might be a NDA thing but I'll ask anyway in case it ain't. How long does pioneer test phases last? I don't know why, but I kinda expected they were further along with Arena than they actually are. The fact that there's no pioneer build yet shows it's still a ways away.
Yeah, I thought Arena was coming early in January, kind of bummed since we haven't seen a new Bilge Rat adventure either, and shrouded spoils is getting kind of stale.

I got the game at release, and loved it. Kept a summer break from the game, so I don't know about these Chair challenges.
How do you find a skeleton Throne and how do you sit on it? I found one, and sat on it, using the emotes but nothing happened.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
YAAAR! fellow Pirates! Just joined ResetEra basically for the Sea Of Thieves OT lol

Yeah, I thought Arena was coming early in January, kind of bummed since we haven't seen a new Bilge Rat adventure either, and shrouded spoils is getting kind of stale.

I got the game at release, and loved it. Kept a summer break from the game, so I don't know about these Chair challenges.
How do you find a skeleton Throne and how do you sit on it? I found one, and sat on it, using the emotes but nothing happened.

5 of them can be sat on solo - 5 HAVE to be in partnership with someone for another crew.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

We don't know how far along it is. I assume it's coming end of februari, beginning of march.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

The title of each commendation is a clue to where the throne is. If i remember right the top set are the solo ones while the bottom set needs someone from another crew to sit with you

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway

Welcome!

I've had a break from the game as well, but I was around when the thrones and weekly events as Rare called them (actually bi-weekly) were being added to the game. If I recall correctly, skeleton thrones was one of the first weekly events we got. If you sat in one of these, you would get some amount of doubloons depending on the size of the throne. The larger ones you had to team up with other boats to do.

Now, I might be wrong here but, I believe the first few weekly events that were added was sort of a time limited thing. So the skeleton throne event for example, is no longer active even though the thrones are still in the world, so you can no longer get the doubloons and titles for sitting on them.

I think they've gone away from this formula since then. So returning players, or players that are less active can come back to the game and have more stuff to
do, and still get rewards for doing it.

Last edited:

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome!

I've had a break from the game as well, but I was around when the thrones and weekly events as Rare called them (actually bi-weekly) were being added to the game. If I recall correctly, skeleton thrones was one of the first weekly events we got. If you sat in one of these, you would get some amount of doubloons depending on the size of the throne. The larger ones you had to team up with other boats to do.

Now, I might be wrong here but, I believe the first few weekly events that were added was sort of a time limited thing. So the skeleton throne event for example, is no longer active even though the thrones are still in the world, so you can no longer get the doubloons and titles for sitting on them.

I think they've gone away from this formula since then. So returning players, or players that are less active can come back to the game and have more stuff to
do, and still get rewards for doing it.

You can still get Titles for doing old bilge rat commendations, but some of the early ones don't offer any doubloon rewards since they used to be removed when their time-limited cosmetics were removed

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Ive heard people suggest gilded voyages as rewards for arena wins as a way to keep people bouncing between the modes which i like

congrats!
Thanks. Gotta say they have made a huge turnaround with this game. I've really enjoyed just setting sail and hunting ships, sharks, kraken and getting good rewards for it. They've really fleshed out that aspect of the game and I hope they eventually put that much love into the land aspect.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
had a random skeley ship pop out of the water alongside my buddy and I. Shortly after the battle begun, a gold meg joined the fray - only focused on the other ship and basically ignored us! we were chasing the ship, nailing it with cannon fire as we could, all the while meg was circling them and drawing all their cannon fire. We made quick work of the ship then betrayed our wild friend. was quite a haul for our little sloop.

c5cf69f4-70fe-4c2c-92d6-b449a2b7bf72.PNG

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
My favorite thing so far in the game is having the alliance flag up and then someone rolls up, sees it and starts firing on our ship. Usually when we're stopped at an outpost. And then they don't even bother looking on our ship or killing us. Just blowing up a parked ship.

I don't understand why we haven't seen more people with the alliance flag up, or at least looking for one? I literally see zero negatives. You still turn your shit in wherever and get the full gold, and then you ALSO get extra gold from others in your alliance turning their shit in. Why would you not want to do that?

Ah well, I'm having a lot of fun getting back into the game. Hopefully they'll introduce something like double reputation or more things like the gilded quest. I have mine tucked away for a rainy day when we have a ton of time to visit every item and do them.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
You still turn your shit in wherever and get the full gold, and then you ALSO get extra gold from others in your alliance turning their shit in. Why would you not want to do that?
You could be turning in your AND the other dudes' stuff (after some friendly exchange of senseless violence I guess) ;)

Plus, your alliance partners can see you on the map and might be plotting something evil (I know I would *snicker*)..

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite thing so far in the game is having the alliance flag up and then someone rolls up, sees it and starts firing on our ship. Usually when we're stopped at an outpost. And then they don't even bother looking on our ship or killing us. Just blowing up a parked ship.

I don't understand why we haven't seen more people with the alliance flag up, or at least looking for one? I literally see zero negatives. You still turn your shit in wherever and get the full gold, and then you ALSO get extra gold from others in your alliance turning their shit in. Why would you not want to do that?

Ah well, I'm having a lot of fun getting back into the game. Hopefully they'll introduce something like double reputation or more things like the gilded quest. I have mine tucked away for a rainy day when we have a ton of time to visit every item and do them.

Some people believe that alliance means you get a split of the loot you turn in. I've had to correct a lot of new folks over the past month or so.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People simply don't know how it works, their math skills are absolutely terrible, they're terrible people or they're just idiots.

You get 100% of your own turn ins and at least half of the reward for each alliance turn in. If you're in a 2 ship alliance and the other ship collects as much stuff as you do, you'll get a 50% bonus for doing the same thing you would be doing by yourself, if you're in a 3 ship alliance you earn double what you could pull solo.

Split island alliances also removes the quest confusion that arises when multiple bounties occur on the same island.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not trying to be snarky about the game, because I enjoyed what I played at launch, but I was wondering if it was a bit more solo friendly now, as back then it felt more like it was primarily a co-op title?
I want to get back in to it though.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
People simply don't know how it works, their math skills are absolutely terrible, they're terrible people or they're just idiots.

You get 100% of your own turn ins and at least half of the reward for each alliance turn in. If you're in a 2 ship alliance and the other ship collects as much stuff as you do, you'll get a 50% bonus for doing the same thing you would be doing by yourself, if you're in a 3 ship alliance you earn double what you could pull solo.

Split island alliances also removes the quest confusion that arises when multiple bounties occur on the same island.

Well yeah.... But where's the fun in that? Much more fun to betray and murder everyone. Who gives a shit about the actually cash balance in this game?!

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Just being honest. Don't want you to get in the game with false expectations.

The game is more engaging for sure, but it's also hard. Megalodons, pirate ships and krakens spawn all the time and are difficult to deal with as a solo player. Other crews will try and destroy you while you are doing missions and some quests take a long time on your own.

But, if you can find a group of players (I suggest the looking for group feature) you can have a lot of fun!

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I got the game pass to try it out for a month. Beautiful game, love the audio. The loading and menus are pretty damn rough for me so far, and that junior high English class attempt at rhyming everywhere is already physically painful to me.

Just solo slooping it up, tried a couple of the introductory missions and barely managed to complete one of them (I just could not find the person to give the 3 chests of garbage to on Lone Cove) but I then found a map and thought what the hell I'll try to find it. I somehow was able to locate the tiny little spit of land (assuming the game would keep it close to me as a brand new player) and found 2 captains chests, 2 marauder chests and a grog chest that made me drunk. White knuckled it to the nearest outpost and got around 4K gold and it felt like a million.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The game is more engaging for sure, but it's also hard. Megalodons, pirate ships and krakens spawn all the time and are difficult to deal with as a solo player. Other crews will try and destroy you while you are doing missions and some quests take a long time on your own

I honestly dont feel like these two are difficult solo if you have even an ounce of experience dealing with them. Megs can be ditched by sailing close to any island and are rarely aggressive enough to attack before that happens if you leave them alone. Kraken difficulty is scaled to the crew count and are easiest to kill solo (the basic supplies you start with are enough to kill them), & turning 180 and sailing right out of the ink to ditch it is easiest on the sloop.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I honestly dont feel like these two are difficult solo if you have even an ounce of experience dealing with them. Megs can be ditched by sailing close to any island and are rarely aggressive enough to attack before that happens if you leave them alone. Kraken difficulty is scaled to the crew count and are easiest to kill solo (the basic supplies you start with are enough to kill them), & turning 180 and sailing right out of the ink to ditch it is easiest on the sloop.

True. Haven't been killed by a kraken solo if I had 5 of more wooden planks. Still annoying...

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Summit going live right when I'm about to hit the sack. I have to get up early too!

Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

Next patch Feburary 6th
will change the game's overall install size to be smaller
will add streamer settings, a fix for double gunning, and a "small little surprise we're not ready to talk about yet"

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Install sizes will change with this patch, they are making the install size of the game smaller, but it will require to download the whole game again.

New install sizes from february 6th:
Xbox One: 35gb -> 10gb
Xbox One X: 47gb -> 25gb
Windows 10: 47gb -> 27gb

Status
Not open for further replies.