• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Hit Athena 5 yesterday and got my Ghost hull. Now taking a break on grinding Athenas to have some leisurely fun and do some pirating. Absolutely love this look.
d8alxf6izva21.png

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Install sizes will change with this patch, they are making the install size of the game smaller, but it will require to download the whole game again.

New install sizes from february 6th:
Xbox One: 35gb -> 10gb
Xbox One X: 47gb -> 25gb
Windows 10: 47gb -> 27gb

Wow those are some pretty hefty drops!

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019

Next patch Feburary 6th
will change the game's overall install size to be smaller
will add streamer settings, a fix for double gunning, and a "small little surprise we're not ready to talk about yet"

Any idea what the little surprise could be? A new tool, weapon, mechanic or something cosmetic for valentine's day?

And I'd like to add. Damn that Shrouded Ghost is one hard fucker to find.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Any idea what the little surprise could be? A new tool, weapon, mechanic or something cosmetic for valentine's day?

And I'd like to add. Damn that Shrouded Ghost is one hard fucker to find.

I'd love more seasonal cosmetics! Was hoping for some Christmassy stuff over the holidays but I guess everyone made their own santa costumes anyway!

I think I know what the 'little surprise' is but obviously not allowed to spill the beans.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I'd love more seasonal cosmetics! Was hoping for some Christmassy stuff over the holidays but I guess everyone made their own santa costumes anyway!

I think I know what the 'little surprise' is but obviously not allowed to spill the beans.
Yeah, no need to break NDA for stuff like this :D I wonder how I'm not in the pioneer program, I've been a insider since waaaaay back, did the Alpha's/Beta's.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, no need to break NDA for stuff like this :D I wonder how I'm not in the pioneer program, I've been a insider since waaaaay back, did the Alpha's/Beta's.

I've got friends that are desperate to get in too. I don't even know how it works these days. I guess maybe they don't any more?

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Dang, I've been trying to get killed by lightning for a week now. Usually what'll happen is that I either take damage and don't die or i'll have to compete with other shit in the storm; the other day I had a shark chase me in and fight me in there plus two other sloops shooting at me.

I just want to die to get the last commendation/dubloons

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Are there aimbots for SoT? Last night we ran into a couple of guys who did the doubleshot thing with a sniper/pistol combo. The thing was they hit every shot, all the time on us, no matter the circumstances. I got hit off a ship and he got me as I was falling mid-air. Another time I was in the water, and so was he, at a pretty long distance and he couldn't see me.. then his body turned and immediately, with no pause to aim shot and killed me. It all seemed very unnatural and everyone in my crew noticed the same behavior. Is there a way to report this? I don't see anything in-game.

We still out played them, despite constantly dying to this garbage. They contested our fort, we won it, took the key.. they waited over an hour for us to return and we outplayed them and turned everything in. Feels good!

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Are there aimbots for SoT? Last night we ran into a couple of guys who did the doubleshot thing with a sniper/pistol combo. The thing was they hit every shot, all the time on us, no matter the circumstances. I got hit off a ship and he got me as I was falling mid-air. Another time I was in the water, and so was he, at a pretty long distance and he couldn't see me.. then his body turned and immediately, with no pause to aim shot and killed me. It all seemed very unnatural and everyone in my crew noticed the same behavior. Is there a way to report this? I don't see anything in-game.

We still out played them, despite constantly dying to this garbage. They contested our fort, we won it, took the key.. they waited over an hour for us to return and we outplayed them and turned everything in. Feels good!

You can report them thru the Xbox App (on PC) or through their profile (on console)

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for going over old ground, but I'm not sure how to find out what I'm after.

Some mates and I played sea of thieves a bit near launch, and we might dive back in tonight...but I'm not sure what's new, and how we see/do the new stuff.

I've read about ai ships, forts, megalodons and a kraken?

Is there a way we can definitely find something new to do, or are all of these things random events that *might* happen to us?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Apologies for going over old ground, but I'm not sure how to find out what I'm after.

Some mates and I played sea of thieves a bit near launch, and we might dive back in tonight...but I'm not sure what's new, and how we see/do the new stuff.

Is there a way we can definitely find something new to do, or are all of these things random events that *might* happen to us?

If you hit start and go to 'commendations' and click on the 'Bilge Rats' section you'll see every event that there's been in the game since launch, all with a progress bar tied to the commendations (challenges, basically) for each event. I'd suggest maybe having a look through that and trying to tick off some commendations. More recent commendations will reward you with doubloons which are used to buy the time limited cosmetics whenever a new event is live (there isn't one on right now but that's a rare scenario being post Christmas).

Why not try the new cargo run merchant missions? They were added a little while back. While doing one of those you'll want to use a rowing boat probably (another new feature) so that your fabrics don't get wet. You'll definitely run into a skeleton ship. You'll either see one on the horizon (tattered sails, blue and green lights on it) or one will spawn from the depths while you're sailing. They'll drop good loot if you take one down. You can also enter a wave based battle with multiple skeleton ships if you're feeling good by following a cloud that looks like a pirate ship in the sky (will only appear if there's no Skull Fort active). You'll probably run into a Megaladon at some point during your travels. Try and kill it for some loot. You should also definitely go to the new region of the map (the Devil's Roar) because you definitely won't have seen that or it's volcanoes if you haven't played since launch.

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

theres an entire new region to the SE and you can frequently spot skeleton ships on the horizon (in clouds OR the ship itself). random encounters from krakens, megalodons, and even surfacing skeleton ships are also more frequent.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ok great, thanks both, the commendations list in game sounds handy too! We're all happier when we feel like we've made some progress and ticked something off a list!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Ok great, thanks both, the commendations list in game sounds handy too! We're all happier when we feel like we've made some progress and ticked something off a list!

It was a little change to the UI but I actually really love it. I love a progress bar! Did you ever do any Bilge Rat stuff? They started with the skeleton thrones event.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Also here's a list of everything new that's been added to Sea of Thieves chronologically. https://seaofnews.net/2018/11/30/whats-changed-in-sea-of-thieves/

calder

Oct 25, 2017
omg so annoying, soloed a skeleton captain quest and got two skulls. Get jumped by skeleton ship instantly and get 3 goddamn dancing balls in a row - those things are stupidly long - and then spent the next 5 minutes desperately trying to keep my ship afloat while the outpost is like a 90 second sail away.

Then that weird thing happens where the compass goes nuts and the wheel locks in one direction (what does that??) and a storm hits but I had 3 holes and the boat was almost sinking so I couldn't do anything but patch and bail. Then I finally get the boat pointed at the outpost again but the skeleton ship has it's broadside at me again and I get.... back to back dancing balls. Fuck that noise, my ship is sinking so I grab one skull and jump for the long swim to land. So annoying lol

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
omg so annoying, soloed a skeleton captain quest and got two skulls. Get jumped by skeleton ship instantly and get 3 goddamn dancing balls in a row - those things are stupidly long - and then spent the next 5 minutes desperately trying to keep my ship afloat while the outpost is like a 90 second sail away.

Then that weird thing happens where the compass goes nuts and the wheel locks in one direction (what does that??) and a storm hits but I had 3 holes and the boat was almost sinking so I couldn't do anything but patch and bail. Then I finally get the boat pointed at the outpost again but the skeleton ship has it's broadside at me again and I get.... back to back dancing balls. Fuck that noise, my ship is sinking so I grab one skull and jump for the long swim to land. So annoying lol

The wheel locking and the compass going nuts is because of the storm. It messes with your compass and the tide pulls you to one side thus the wheel locking.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

This one is interesting. I can see the appeal of permanent stat based progression to grind towards but I do think it would have a negative affect to the game as a whole when 4 man Athena crews climb aboard a crew of new guys and not only have a knowledge advantage but stat advantage to. The nature of this kill anyone take anything game would make those advantages frustrating.

Temporary buffs are neat and I'm wondering if that's what the cooking system could be. Fishing, Pigs, Chicken, bananas and more fruit types could be used to concoct meals that give you small temporary buffs or something. I dunno.

Oct 25, 2017
This one is interesting. I can see the appeal of permanent stat based progression to grind towards but I do think it would have a negative affect to the game as a whole when 4 man Athena crews climb aboard a crew of new guys and not only have a knowledge advantage but stat advantage to. The nature of this kill anyone take anything game would make those advantages frustrating.

Temporary buffs are neat and I'm wondering if that's what the cooking system could be. Fishing, Pigs, Chicken, bananas and more fruit types could be used to concoct meals that give you small temporary buffs or something. I dunno.

Agreed, the game is amazing precisely because the only thing that differentiates a crew that has played 5 minutes and a crew that has played 100 hrs is their communication and teamwork rather than numbers on a stats page. I love the fact that a new crew can jump in on day one and beat players that have been playing for over a year provided they have the skill and teamwork necessary to do so.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
I think above all else, the thing that keeps most of us playing is the insane potential of the sandbox. There's just so much that could be added, it's quite exciting to think about.

Will March 2019 be a huge update for the game, with Arena and a bunch of extra additions to the sandbox being added? I think yes.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you need help let me know, old man, I just redownloaded this thing to play with a couple friends during the weekend. I have 800 hr of experience in this shit, sadly

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Almost athena 8 now, the grind is real. I also spent a million gold on the ghost hull+sail and it hurt my soul spending that amount of cash. Now I'm back at 600k. :(

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
man, we almost struck disaster last night.

wrapping up a gilded order of souls voyage, with 20+ villainous skulls in tow, we were engaged by a skeleton ship breaching the waters right along side of us. we weren't really looking for a fight, but they sure were, so we obliged them. cannon fire was traded and one of my crew mates decided to jump overboard with a gunpowder barrel in hand to put the finishing touches on them in style. unfortunately - the ship was already on its way down by the time he got there and this single decision would lead to a domino effect ultimately leading us to certain doom.

the two of us remaining on the brig immediately raised both sails to slow down and make a sharper turn to return to the site where the skeleton ship had gone down. when a wild megalodon appeared. no big deal, these arent much of a challenge and usually dont seem to be aggressive unless provoked. we decided to sail back to our gunpowder buoyant friend and grab the floating treasure before worrying about the meg. we had plenty of boards and supplies even if meg did attack. we werent concerned at all honestly.

well, meg did attack. despite seeing her charging from the rear quarter, and the fact that we both moved away from the impact zone to avoid direct damage - we both got knocked off into the sea. we hopelessly watched our ship sail away. we desperately scanned the horizon for a mermaid. of course the mermaid took forever to spawn and when it did it spawned nearer our crewmate who had first abandoned ship hundreds of feet away. he of course was the first to reach it and give us the news that he had been respawned, confused, in the middle of the ocean. we joined him when we could - our ship was no more.

in the not so short time we were separated from our ship it had sunk. Nooooooo!

thank god we had a row boat. the thing was bobbing up and down in the sea nearby. we swam to it and saw the glorious image of countless, green glowing objects rising to the waters surface nearby. while overloading our dingy with skulls, we battled a trio of sharks. our supplies diminished, i sacrificed myself in hopes i could get a new ship and find me mates.

did i mention the rowboat was glitched and oars were inaccessible?

i spawned back into the world with our new ship at galleons grave. i knew our ship went down north of shipwreck bay. ironic. i quickly set sail. my stranded at sea crew could see me long before i could see them, well when they weren't between swells of waves. the gave me a compass bearing to locate them but when i got close enough it was unnecessary - 20+ glowing skulls on a rowboat in the middle of the ocean is hard to miss!

so an epic failure and disaster was averted. i think as a crew we breathed a sigh of relief which quickly turned to laughter. this easily is one of my favorite sea of thieves moments.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
The wheel locking and the compass going nuts is because of the storm. It messes with your compass and the tide pulls you to one side thus the wheel locking.

Oh that makes sense, thanks. Good to know!

If you need help let me know, old man, I just redownloaded this thing to play with a couple friends during the weekend. I have 800 hr of experience in this shit, sadly

looool I don't know after the very bad treatment of the alleged "host" Stars in Dallas yesterday to my semi-comatose team of lazy incompetents. I'm having fun playing solo but I'm at the point where I think I'd enjoy getting on with a crew. I don't know how the xbox friends list works as I don't have a single one but I think my gametag is Cartophile if you want to add me.

I just solo slooped it up for a couple of hours. Did a couple of buried treasure things which I quite like but then had a singed map that told me to go to Flintlock Penisula. Place was creepy and singed and there was an earthquake when I got there but I found the treasure pretty quickly. Skeletons popped out just as the freaking volcano blowed up and geysers started throwing me into the air. I was fighting the skeletons fine but a giant piece of magma one shotted me just as I finished digging the chest out. It was an ashen captains chest, never seen one of those before so I was excited.

Naturally I spawn back in my ship just as it's sinking. Couldn't save it and it half drowned me when it flipped over - I didn't know what would happen if I died with a sunken ship so I swam back to shore as the eruption was just ending. Took a bunch of damage from the water (due to heat? gasses?) and dodged geysers as I ate my last banana. Found a rowboat on the other side of the island, figured out how to get it in the water (took a bit more damage from the sea) and rowed around till I saw the chest. By then the water wasn't hurting me so with about 20% health left I got the chest in the rowboat and just took off. I spent probably 15-20 minutes rowing until I figured out where I was and got to an outpost. Saw some little islands with skeletons so I didn't bother stopping to scrounge for health.

WT5MC7K.jpg

Felt freaking GREAT. If there was a much easier way to get that chest back, please don't tell me lol.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Thieves has more Twitch viewers than BO4 right now. About the same number as PUBG. Crazy.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
EDGdObW.jpg

He is fascinatingly bad.

He has a lot of viewers and yet he's doing the absolute beginner level Order of Souls. And he's getting his head around how everything works and it's amazing to watch because we were all at that level at some point. He just doesn't yet know the tricks. Progression in this game is all about your experience with the different quest types and situations the game puts you in and he doesn't know what clues to listen for. At least he seems to be enjoying it.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to get off my butt and start using L4G for this game to get on more Galleons/Brigs. I mostly solo sloop or play with a buddy, but we're so rusty (used to play a lot at launch but fell off). With all the attention the game's getting, I really want to get to PL but solo'ing Forts is such a trap and just grinding quests will take forever.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The production value of DrDisrespect his streams is something else. All these overlays, small intermezzo's where he is acting, etc.

Rofl.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Summit, Doc, CDN and TimTheTatman streamed it today. If those guys enjoy it and stick to it the game could be up there for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.