• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
no its a specific feature of being in an alliance. when i was doing big athena speedrun alliances we'd ocassionally see if someone was close to an island we had xs on and sent a screenshot of the map if they were to knock it for us

Huh. Guess i had never tried it before. SoT Discord ppl confirmed this also, that alliance members can dig up treasure from maps of allied crews.

Will have to be careful about this when digging up athena chests, then

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Got the game yesterday and I'm quite enjoying it! Do we have a somewhat active community? I'm still not very good at this but I'm getting somewhat used to it now. I would love to play with you guys!

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Got the game yesterday and I'm quite enjoying it! Do we have a somewhat active community? I'm still not very good at this but I'm getting somewhat used to it now. I would love to play with you guys!

Unfortunately, no. The discord is pretty much dead and a few weeks ago was even raided by sex dating bots.

But hey if you want to play sometime, just send me an invite.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's the split for cashing thing in with alliances? Does everyone get the same cut, or do the people cashing stuff in get 100% while everyone else gets 50%?

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
The split is the crew cashing in gets 100%, any other crew in the alliance gets 50% of the value. Really no downside to being in an alliance, though it seems to be a kind of rare thing nowadays.

Only other thing to keep in mind is only the crew selling the goods gets credit towards commendations. Important if you're trying to finish up bilge rat Shrouded Spoils ones for turning in Stronghold-level fort loot, for instance

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The split is the crew cashing in gets 100%, any other crew in the alliance gets 50% of the value. Really no downside to being in an alliance, though it seems to be a kind of rare thing nowadays.
Only other thing to keep in mind is only the crew selling the goods gets credit towards commendations. Important if you're trying to finish up bilge rat Shrouded Spoils ones for turning in Stronghold-level fort loot, for instance
Cool, thanks for the info.

How about the Athena treasures, is there a certain level you need to be to get those? And where do you get the quests?

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, thanks for the info.

How about the Athena treasures, is there a certain level you need to be to get those? And where do you get the quests?

Athena is pirate legend quests, you need to be level 50 in all three factions which will take forever. If you hand in Athena stuff (either because you have a legend on your crew or you steal it from someone doing Athena quests you still get progress towards it though).

The grind to legend is so long that it's not worth stressing over it, just jump on and do what you feel like doing otherwise you'll grow to hate the game and yourself.

The bilge rat commendations give you doubloons that you can spend to purchase level ups for the different factions so it's a good idea to get those done.

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
Did this game ever get any sort of motivating progression added to the gameplay loop or is it still predominantly a sandbox game? Like everyone else, I've been enjoying watching some of my favorite streamers like Summit and Doc playing SoT. The graphics are gorgeous and the concept of piloting a ship through the amazing 3D water tech Rare has instituted sounds great however I'm just not sure the sandbox element that seems heavy on role playing would really be for me.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Did this game ever get any sort of motivating progression added to the gameplay loop or is it still predominantly a sandbox game? Like everyone else, I've been enjoying watching some of my favorite streamers like Summit and Doc playing SoT. The graphics are gorgeous and the concept of piloting a ship through the amazing 3D water tech Rare has instituted sounds great however I'm just not sure the sandbox element that seems heavy on role playing would really be for me.
All progression is still cosmetic. You just level up factions to be able to buy more stuff.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Every time playing the game has my imagination running wild with all the possibilities.
I'm hoping that at some point Rare would add more islands to the game.
Islands with exploration and even platforming segments, since the movement in the game is pretty awesome. I'm thinking some huge ancient ruins & tombs.
Also Ice-area. Islands changing location constantly, freezing water, navigating through ice, blowing up ice as your ship has become frozen in the ice. And even blowing up ice to create a route somewhere.
And more weather effects, whirlpools, tornadoes, tsunamis, dead wind,

I'm also hoping for a rope, you could swing from your boat, give the rope to your friend below so they can climb up,
Attach your ship to docks, and other ships, tie your rowboat to your ship (Master & Commander style)
Add a spear and you would have a harpoon, imagine latching your sloop onto a megalodon lol.
Or even a simple crafting system,
fire + grog = Molotov
Rope + Spear = Harpoon
Venom + Grog = Poison
etc. The possibilities are there.

Also new "looks" for the ships, as cosmetics. Like different models for different ships (Viking, Cursed, Ancient, Oriental)
One man dingy, basically a raft with a single small sail.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Unfortunately, no. The discord is pretty much dead and a few weeks ago was even raided by sex dating bots.

But hey if you want to play sometime, just send me an invite.
Thank you! I will be playing again tomorrow or so, so it'd be nice to play with some guys from here as well.

Also I just ran into the first griefer. He threw all our bounties out into the sea and then kept lowering the anchor and then raising it when we were trying to collect the stuff. I seriously wonder what goes through a kid's mind to spend money on a game and then just waste their time simply acting stupid like this. I hope at least he had a good laugh.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I finally tried some 'open crew' voyages this weekend and had a lot of fun. Did a skull fort with 3 other peeps and had a great time, took us a while but we got it done and turned in. On another crew we were knocking out treasure maps and didn't realize another galleon had approached and it sank us before we even got back to the ship. They took all our stuff BUT we respawned closeby and due to the scurvy dogs not bothering to adjust their sails we caught them and sank them which was made turning in our shit way more satisfying.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Also I just ran into the first griefer. He threw all our bounties out into the sea and then kept lowering the anchor and then raising it when we were trying to collect the stuff. I seriously wonder what goes through a kid's mind to spend money on a game and then just waste their time simply acting stupid like this. I hope at least he had a good laugh.
You can vote crew mates to the brig (open game menu and look in "My Crew"). Pretty useful to handle griefers.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

I looked into this because I had an idea for a shirt design with the ferryman & this opportunity justifed noodling away at it on my freetime but the submission process is kind of whack. you need to already be running an active store on the site, which i guess is a good way to shave off the crust but having to have my portfolio verified, then be running my own merch store all for the chance the occasional SOT design idea i have maybe be accepted & sold is way too much energy i could be putting into other things as an artist.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Gotcha. So if you have the key and the server refreshes (the message that pops up on the screen about plundering), then it becomes useless, right?
the key can open /any/ skullfort foor. since skullforts happen a lot more often now, you can just wait for one to appear in the new server (if its not already up when you switch) and use it on the active skullfort.

it doesnt make the skullfort inactive so if you do use it on an active one youll have to contend with skellies as you raid the loot.

this of course leaves anyone who finishes it with a "useless" key since the loot doesnt refresh upon completion if the doors already opened.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea, I guess you'll need to go check that out. Could not find anything on google either.
the key can open /any/ skullfort foor. since skullforts happens a lot more often now, you can just wait for one to appear in the new server (if its not already up when you switch) and use it on the active skullfort.

it doesnt make the skullfort inactive so if you do use it on an active one youll have to contend with skellies as you raid the loot.

this of course leaves anyone who finishes it with a "useless" key since the loot doesnt refresh upon completion if the doors already opened.
Good to know, thanks for the responses.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Every time playing the game has my imagination running wild with all the possibilities.
I'm hoping that at some point Rare would add more islands to the game.
Islands with exploration and even platforming segments, since the movement in the game is pretty awesome. I'm thinking some huge ancient ruins & tombs.
Also Ice-area. Islands changing location constantly, freezing water, navigating through ice, blowing up ice as your ship has become frozen in the ice. And even blowing up ice to create a route somewhere.
And more weather effects, whirlpools, tornadoes, tsunamis, dead wind,

I'm also hoping for a rope, you could swing from your boat, give the rope to your friend below so they can climb up,
Attach your ship to docks, and other ships, tie your rowboat to your ship (Master & Commander style)
Add a spear and you would have a harpoon, imagine latching your sloop onto a megalodon lol.
Or even a simple crafting system,
fire + grog = Molotov
Rope + Spear = Harpoon
Venom + Grog = Poison
etc. The possibilities are there.

Also new "looks" for the ships, as cosmetics. Like different models for different ships (Viking, Cursed, Ancient, Oriental)
One man dingy, basically a raft with a single small sail.

Welcome to playing Sea of Thieves - the potential of the sandbox is pretty vast, and I think despite its shortcomings, is the reason a lot of folks play (beyond shenanigans in general) it's just dripping with possibilities and I can't wait to see where Rare take it.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Welcome to playing Sea of Thieves - the potential of the sandbox is pretty vast, and I think despite its shortcomings, is the reason a lot of folks play (beyond shenanigans in general) it's just dripping with possibilities and I can't wait to see where Rare take it.

I'm a Pioneer and been playing pretty much since the alfa lol

and agreed.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was Slooping yesterday and had a decent ashen haul (not amazing but decent [4 Ashen Villainous and 4 others] ) on the ship after hitting an island with multiple Order of souls quests. We were on our way to turn in and saw a Brig at the post so we ventured to another island to knock it out hoping they would take off and do whatever... They must have seen our Mast on Flintlock and they started to give chase.

We do what were supposed to do on a Sloop aim straight into the wind and hop a person overboard to drop the other ships anchor, which we accomplish once. They were double gunning so boarding them was pretty hit and miss. As we're running and adapting to wind changes we're staying a little ahead but not really making solid ground and definitely not getting out of sight, It's obviously time for a Ghost ship to surface and target only our ship, completely ignoring our pursuers then doubling that up with a Meg.

After dumping entirely too many cannonballs into the Ghost Ship and dealing with countless venom & limp balls, We run out of Map and flow into the red sea until our wood is pretty much gone and hopefully far enough that out pursuers will have a hell of time getting what remains of our sunken ships loot on board.

What the Fuck is up with this game throwing everything imaginable at you when you have more than a trivial amount of loot on board and why are other players so hellbent on chasing you 1/2 way across the map to make your time playing feel worthless?

Also is there any word on them tweaking the damn volcanoes (and to a lesser extent all the other perfect Enemy Aimbot garbage), to make it so hanging out in the Ashen region is more than sailing ~2 Nautical Mile circles around the island you want to be on?

Last edited:

Dahellisdat

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was Slooping yesterday and had a decent ashen haul (not amazing but decent [4 Ashen Villainous and 4 others] ) on the ship after hitting an island with multiple Order of souls quests. We were on our way to turn in and saw a Brig at the post so we ventured to another island to knock it out hoping they would take off and do whatever... They must have seen our Mast on Flintlock and they started to give chase.

We do what were supposed to do on a Sloop aim straight into the wind and hop a person overboard to drop the other ships anchor, which we accomplish once. They were double gunning so boarding them was pretty hit and miss. As we're running and adapting to wind changes we're staying a little ahead but not really making solid ground and definitely not getting out of sight, It's obviously time for a Ghost ship to surface and target only our ship, completely ignoring our pursuers then doubling that up with a Meg.

After dumping entirely too many cannonballs into the Ghost Ship and dealing with countless venom & limp balls, We run out of Map and flow into the red sea until our wood is pretty much gone and hopefully far enough that out pursuers will have a hell of time getting what remains of our sunken ships loot on board.

What the Fuck is up with this game throwing everything imaginable at you when you have more than a trivial amount of loot on board and why are other players so hellbent on chasing you 1/2 way across the map to make your time playing feel worthless?

Also is there any word on them tweaking the damn volcanoes (and to a lesser extent all the other perfect Enemy Aimbot garbage), to make it so hanging out in the Ashen region is more than sailing ~2 Nautical Mile circles around the island you want to be on?
I feel your pain man....I was slooping with my brother the other night in volcano land. We had just finished an Ashen Athena's run and had a ton of loot on board when we got caught between not 1 but 2 erupting volcanoes. I wasn't really worried about it, we can usually deal with it no problem. My brother is hanging on the boat ladder with a chest of sorrows when of course a rock comes down instant killing both me and him.

Still, I think this is not a problem. We can respawn on the ship in time before it sinks and bail/make repairs. After going through the door on the ferry, we both get stuck in the black loading screen trying to get back on our boat. We can hear our boat taking on water but we won't respawn to the boat. We hear the chime notifying us that our boat has sunk. Still, I think this is not a problem. We had a row boat and are expecting to respawn in the water by our sunk boat, recover our treasure and put it all on the rowboat.

We respawn and the rowboat is just gone. I assume it must have been destroyed by the perfect shot volcano rock that took out both of us, sunk our ship and also apparently destroyed the row boat. STILL, I think there may be some hope, that one of us can go get the sloop, and one of us can try to keep the important treasure afloat at least long enough for one of us to make it back.

Nope. There was a meg that had started circling our ship right before it sunk while we were trying to load in. And with the meg came a hoarde of little sharks that double/triple team ate us right up. We spawned pretty close to where this all happened and tried to find where the loot was but it was all just gone. Giant waste of time and left us thinking to ourselves, "what the hell was that shit?"

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel your pain man....I was slooping with my brother the other night in volcano land. We had just finished an Ashen Athena's run and had a ton of loot on board when we got caught between not 1 but 2 erupting volcanoes. I wasn't really worried about it, we can usually deal with it no problem. My brother is hanging on the boat ladder with a chest of sorrows when of course a rock comes down instant killing both me and him.

Still, I think this is not a problem. We can respawn on the ship in time before it sinks and bail/make repairs. After going through the door on the ferry, we both get stuck in the black loading screen trying to get back on our boat. We can hear our boat taking on water but we won't respawn to the boat. We hear the chime notifying us that our boat has sunk. Still, I think this is not a problem. We had a row boat and are expecting to respawn in the water by our sunk boat, recover our treasure and put it all on the rowboat.

We respawn and the rowboat is just gone. I assume it must have been destroyed by the perfect shot volcano rock that took out both of us, sunk our ship and also apparently destroyed the row boat. STILL, I think there may be some hope, that one of us can go get the sloop, and one of us can try to keep the important treasure afloat at least long enough for one of us to make it back.

Nope. There was a meg that had started circling our ship right before it sunk while we were trying to load in. And with the meg came a hoarde of little sharks that double/triple team ate us right up. We spawned pretty close to where this all happened and tried to find where the loot was but it was all just gone. Giant waste of time and left us thinking to ourselves, "what the hell was that shit?"

I would love to see the some indicator of current RNG threat level. I definitely experience it, but can't quite quantify it. It would just be nice to have some warning that the game is considering completely screwing the player over. Just a little something like another ominous music layer, a cloud vortex, an eclipse or really anything that tells me to stash the loot on a rowboat or an island, because the game decided that the ship I'm in has reached it's end of life .

Alternatively they could just not completely screw the player over on a whim...

Dahellisdat

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see the some indicator of current RNG threat level. I definitely experience it, but can't quite quantify it. It would just be nice to have some warning that the game is considering completely screwing the player over. Just a little something like another ominous music layer, a cloud vortex, an eclipse or really anything that tells me to stash the loot on a rowboat or an island, because the game decided that the ship I'm in has reached it's end of life .

Alternatively they could just not completely screw the player over on a whim...
The thing that pissed me off the most was the black screen loading time. That always only seems to happen when my ship is at risk of sinking and I don't end up respawning until after my ship is lost when I should have had plenty of time to save it after getting off the ferry.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that pissed me off the most was the black screen loading time. That always only seems to happen when my ship is at risk of sinking and I don't end up respawning until after my ship is lost when I should have had plenty of time to save it after getting off the ferry.

Yeah I have that happen way too often. I'm certain that the game simply decides that you lose, and bends the rules in order to make sure that you can't circumvent the ruling.

Load times are really, really consistent, basically the same as mermaid travel. Zip and you're there. Unless the game wants your ship gone, then it's spinning helm wheel until your ship is gone and respawned..

Dahellisdat

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have that happen way too often. I'm certain that the game simply decides that you lose, and bends the rules in order to make sure that you can't circumvent the ruling.

Load times are really, really consistent, basically the same as mermaid travel. Zip and you're there. Unless the game wants your ship gone, then it's spinning helm wheel until your ship is gone and respawned..
I doubt its happening purposefully. Probably takes longer to load when there's a million things happening on or around your boat at the same time, but that's really the time when you need to load in the quickest.

At the end of the day, I've already reached the point in playing this game that I can accept huge losses like that. Its part of the game. It just seems to suck more when you know you could have saved it, and you kind of get beat because of a minor flaw in the game rather than getting beat legitimately or by other players that simply outplayed you.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Little over one week from the end of the double gun bullshit!

Also for another Bilge Rat adventures that should keep people occupied too.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am really excited for Inside Xbox on Feb 5th and the SoT update on February 6th.

If the black screen takes longer than usual when getting off the ferry, it's because your ship actually already sank and it's respawning your ship and spawning you at the new location.

Last edited:

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Devil's Roar Stronghold confirmed on the stream. Still being worked on. That's gonna be something...

Damn... I liked knowing that at least I don't have to deal with people killing time in Devils Roar between skull forts.

Unless I can hide my ship in a volcano-proof cave, I don't know how this can work.
Just do a round or three, then hop in your boat and sail around in very large circles for 5-15 minutes until those pinpoint accurate cannons volcanoes go back into cool down for a few minutes. Just like every other quest in the area.

The geysers will be great though, hopefully they'll set off a chain reaction of barrel bombs essentially napalming the island in the first couple minutes...

Last edited:

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017

There was a particularly nasty problem a few weeks ago where a Ghost Ship would endlessly spawn in after you sunk one or there was just a ton of them spawning no matter where you were. Plus we had a few Krakens appear while fighting the ghost ship so thats always a pain in the ass.

One of the biggest problems is load times coming back from the Ship of the Damned. It allows your character to load in and for griefers to stay on your boat and kill you almost as soon as you respawn (especially if you're against a brig/galleon where the crew can sit on your boat in all 3 spawn areas and just wait for you). I don't understand why they don't make you come back as a ghost and have a few minutes of invincibility or something so you can't instantly be killed upon coming back.

Something also needs to be done with the fireballs which have perfect aim. Skeletons have gotten a little better where they don't perfectly hit you but i've been killed by so many damn fireballs a mile away from the island that it isn't even funny any more. I'd like to see some way to combat the volcanoes though because i really like being down there its just difficult to do anything when a island erupts, you have to sit there for 10 minutes while it blows its load, then you get to the island, try to figure out the riddle in 5 minutes (which turns into about 20 minutes because of geysers shooting you into the air when you're trying to dig/find something) and then by then the island is erupting again.

Erupt time should change to once an hour or half hour for Devils Roar stuff. Or something.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Sea of Thieves Era, I've been browsing the thread for an hour and the game looks quite fun - a few of my mates and myself are getting quite interested in it so I thought I'd ask a few questions:

1) Is it newbies friendly? Or do we need to be prepared to face hordes of other players bent on our (pretty much assured) destruction?

2) From this threads and the videos I've been watching, I understand that the gameplay revolves around freely exploring the world and completing missions given by traders (finding treasures, capturing animals and fighting off pirate skeletons to take their skull). Am I missing something else?

3) How fast/slow is progression? I know it's cosmetic only, but I thgought I'd ask.

4) Can we use the Xbox Game Pass' Play Anywhere feature to play the game on Windows 10?

Thanks a lot to anyone who takes the time to answer!

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) Is it newbies friendly? Or do we need to be prepared to face hordes of other players bent on our (pretty much assured) destruction?

sure. Unlike almost every game ever made you will start at the same level with the same abilities and loadouts of players that have been playing everyday since launch. That said you will face plenty of PvP confrontation, for the most part most encounters will start with a Cannonball or sniper shot before a hello, also if someone says they're friendly there's probably a good chance ( > 50%) that they're there to kill you and sink your ship too.

2) From this threads and the videos I've been watching, I understand that the gameplay revolves around freely exploring the world and completing missions given by traders (finding treasures, capturing animals and fighting off pirate skeletons to take their skull). Am I missing something else?
That's the big three (no one really catches animals anymore, there's delivery quests [RUM/Plants/Cloth] ) and even then it seems better do Forts, kill ghost ships, kill Megs, & Krakens and deliver random drops than deal with the Merchant Guild.

3) How fast/slow is progression? I know it's cosmetic only, but I thgought I'd ask.
Learning how to play is the real progression

4) Can we use the Xbox Game Pass' Play Anywhere feature to play the game on Windows 10?

Yes I jump back and forth between PC & Xbox all the time.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
sure. Unlike almost every game ever made you will start at the same level with the same abilities and loadouts of players that have been playing everyday since launch. That said you will face plenty of PvP confrontation, for the most part most encounters will start with a Cannonball or sniper shot before a hello, also if someone says they're friendly there's probably a good chance ( > 50%) that they're there to kill you and sink your ship too.
Haha, ok then. I don't mind facing other players as long as it's at least a bit fair (which it looks like it is). Plus, well, it's a pirate game, it kind of comes with the territory I guess.

Is it a hassle to get your ship back when it's sunk?

That's the big three (no one really catches animals anymore, there's delivery quests [RUM/Plants/Cloth] ) and even then it seems better do Forts, kill ghost ships, kill Megs, & Krakens and deliver random drops than deal with the Merchant Guild.
Krakens too? This sounds fantastic. I remember being quite interested by the first trailer way back in... 2015 (I think?) but have been sleeping on the game ever since.

Learning how to play is the real progression
Noted.

Yes I jump back and forth between PC & Xbox all the time.
Perfect.

Thanks a lot!

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it a hassle to get your ship back when it's sunk?

Nope, not at all. It resets to somewhat default state, and you'll just appear on it or near it after death or mermaid teleport right to it. Sometimes you'll sink the thing just because it's farther away from your target than you want to be.

All the Supplies {Cannon Balls/Wood/Bananas} will be initialized to their defaults (extras and special, will be gone, while empties will be replenished).
All the lanterns will be turned on and set to yellow light.

All treasure will be gone and you'll be somewhere else on the map, but usually somewhat close to where you were.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.