• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wondering why they changed the front of the ships.

whaling13_mark-votier.jpg

Kind of hoping for a Megalodon Harpoon

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what the new PC version is off hand? I started the game up but I don't think it updated. The install size is 28.2gb but the store says the game is 27gb. I opened up the game page on the MS store like the instructions say but nothing happens and there isn't an update or anything. Just wish the store page had the actual version number.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Does anyone know what the new PC version is off hand? I started the game up but I don't think it updated. The install size is 28.2gb but the store says the game is 27gb. I opened up the game page on the MS store like the instructions say but nothing happens and there isn't an update or anything. Just wish the store page had the actual version number.

You can see in the update menu in the store if the game has been updated today.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
What is your problem exactly? Do you have problems opening the store, or do you have issues downloading?

You could try to run "WSreset" if you haven't already.
I couldn't download the thing at all. Doing "wsreset" didn't fix it, but eventually I was able to download it.

Also I laughed at me reading the patch notes while the ship was navigating straight, then getting to this part:

Calming the Kraken – The Kraken has learnt to pick on someone her own size and will now take it easier on Sloops.

Just as I get attacked by a Kraken on my solo Sloop.

Oh, and I'm now stuck in some endless black loading screen? Just as I was about to kill two of the skeleton captains. And now they're probably healing... :(
Can't seem to load back, so there goes my loot that I collected, and hopefully I don't lose the Mercenary voyage because then I'd also lose 5 doubloons. Damn this last half day or so has been infuriating when it comes to this game (one because of MS, this because of Rare). Ugh...

Edit: And of course, my voyage is gone as well as the doubloons I spent to buy it. Thank you Rare.
I need to take a break. Between the Microsoft Store bullshit from yesterday, me starting to play on a Sloop and straight out getting killed by a Kraken, then after collecting a bunch of loot getting stuck on an endless black loading screen and losing all my shit, I've had too much today when it comes to this. And that's without accounting for the 40-50 minutes I was playing that lead to absolutely nothing. Beautiful!

Last edited:

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
Click the ellipses button on the top right of the Store and select "Downloads and Updates". You'll see all your apps/games ranked by most recently updated and can manually trigger updates for all apps/games that the Store might not have grabbed yet.

calder

Oct 25, 2017

You can see in the update menu in the store if the game has been updated today.

Click the ellipses button on the top right of the Store and select "Downloads and Updates". You'll see all your apps/games ranked by most recently updated and can manually trigger updates for all apps/games that the Store might not have grabbed yet.

Oh cool thanks! I guess it did update today.

I'm very unfamiliar with the MS Store, I didn't know it had an update screen. I'll spare you all the story of how long it took me to figure out how to join my friends game, I had no idea there was a separate Xbox app on Windows. But we did get together and just finished playing for 3 hours, great fun to do whole quest chains with a rl friend.

A galleon attacked us and we just wrecked them. Good times.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i havent seen the front of the ships but i saw someone suggest for fishing... i really hope when fishing is added its an activity that can be performed anywhere there is water, not just with a button prompt at the front of the ship

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
i havent seen the front of the ships but i saw someone suggest for fishing... i really hope when fishing is added its an activity that can be performed anywhere there is water, not just with a button prompt at the front of the ship

Big time. I'd want to do it from a rowboat!

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
What I want is for fishing to be added as a new faction to earn rep with. You can buy fishing permits for areas of the map and unlock different styles of rods and harpoons with the level ups. The "voyages" would increase in difficulty by making you catch bigger fish at higher levels etc. then you trade your catch back in with the faction for the money.

What I expect is a fishing rod item to be added to the inventory wheel and it's only use is to pass the time.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Regarding the change to the front of the ships. The first thing that crossed my mind was harpoon guns, or maybe grappling hooks? Another theory is of course movable cannons, but you would need a crew on steroids to move those cannons up the stairs on the front of the galleon. :P

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Regarding the change to the front of the ships. The first thing that crossed my mind was harpoon guns, or maybe grappling hooks? Another theory is of course movable cannons, but you would need a crew on steroids to move those cannons up the stairs on the front of the galleon. :P
The cannons won't fit, unless they move the front mast also.

I guess we'll know in 42 days.
That's way too long. Me and my crew we're expecting Arena in early january, so all of this secrecy bullshit is reminding me of the launch of the game.

If arena is the "1-year mega update" I would be super disappointed. I'm hoping to see Arena VERY soon, and the mega update in maybe May or something. This was a all around disappointing update, again.

Edit. DAMN! The game has been unplayable for almost two days now.

Last edited:

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That's way too long. Me and my crew we're expecting Arena in early january, so all of this secrecy bullshit is reminding me of the launch of the game.

If arena is the "1-year mega update" I would be super disappointed. I'm hoping to see Arena VERY soon, and the mega update in maybe May or something. This was a all around disappointing update, again.

They never gave a firm date for Arena. March 20th is when they'll announce the launch of arena, pets, and further updates to the game. That should be early April, if not possibly very end of March.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
What I want is for fishing to be added as a new faction to earn rep with. You can buy fishing permits for areas of the map and unlock different styles of rods and harpoons with the level ups. The "voyages" would increase in difficulty by making you catch bigger fish at higher levels etc. then you trade your catch back in with the faction for the money.

What I expect is a fishing rod item to be added to the inventory wheel and it's only use is to pass the time.

and fishing for big fish in big waters attracts megs! :P

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
They never gave a firm date for Arena. March 20th is when they'll announce the launch of arena, pets, and further updates to the game. That should be early April, if not possibly very end of March.

If that is the case I feel kinda jebaited. Looking at the trailer for arena, it ends with "A new competitive mode. Coming early 2019!". That screams January/February to me. I don't really count April as "early 2019", so it better be March at the very least.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
They have communicated plenty about what's coming and when it is/isn't. They have a weekly dev video that has said multiple times Arena first comes to Pioneers then it will go through multiple iterations before we put it out to everybody. We have known for sometime it wasn't going to be Jan-March.

Arena
Pets
Cooking
Fishing
Story Quests

That would be a pretty huge update they can use to push the game in a few months.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
This will be Sea of Thieves 2.0 and I am deliciously hyped for it. Fully prepared for it to be my GOTY for 2019 too. :)

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I see...

Usually how long does it take for those updates to make it into the main game?
will probably be in the next major update. So whatever they announce March 20th.
The cannons won't fit, unless they move the front mast also.

Edit. DAMN! The game has been unplayable for almost two days now.
Joe mentioned in that Major Nelson stream that Arena hasn't hit Pioneer testing yet. So you will have to wait a little while longer.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
So who's done one of those new missions yet? Is it like a baby Athena's Quest where you get a selection of missions? random what one you get?
And we only have to finish one in order to have the sail/flag/hull unlocked, right?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else running into lots of bugs post update? Tonight i have yet to see any progress bars update, had duobloons credited without ui pop, a ship of the damned whose door never opened that i figured out how to respawn anyways by walking through the door, and a glitchy meg that chased our ship, rather than the usual circle, only to clip on the rear of the ship virtually stopping our progress. The only fix for this last issue was to jump over board and have the meg run into one if our crew allowing the ship to sail away - the meg eventually outright dissapeared. Havent run into so many issues in one session in quite some time.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sloop is fastest against the wind, galleon is fastest with the wind and the brig is balanced to be in the middle of the two.

It follows that a good escape strategy for sloops is to turn into the wind when being attacked big bigger boats.
Brig also Hits top speed fastest. Some cooking stuff has been datamined. Looks substantial.

Crew of Thieves
Cool, thanks for the info.

And that's a damn interesting datamine! Hope all that gets put into the game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Fascinating! Just please don't put survival type hunger meters in the game. 🥴

Oct 25, 2017
Fascinating! Just please don't put survival type hunger meters in the game. 🥴

Yeah that would be the beginning of the end of my enjoyment of the game. If they want to make it more hardcore I'd rather they did something like removing the compasses so you have to use the sun/north star to navigate or something interesting like that.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure it's just gonna be buffs or debuffs if you eat something rotten or undercooked. I Don't think they are gonna go full survival but add more stuff to do when going from place to place.

Status
Not open for further replies.