• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
2 weeks and a day til the announcement! Or just one day til opt-in Pioneer to get a sneak around the curtain.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Patch Notes - March 6

Patch Notes

Patch Notes

Ahoy pirates!

Good news for Pirates who enjoy adventures, encounters or both! This build introduces an all-new Mercenary Voyage type, the Reaper's Run, perfect for those who thrive in the heat of combat.

Looking for something a little less stabby? No problem. This build also brings two Mercenary Voyages that take place outside of the action-filled hotspot so you can adventure at your own pace.

That's not all! You'll also find a bunch of new performance improvements and fixes to make your sailing smoother than ever.

MERCENARY VOYAGES

Reaper's Run of the Wanderer's Refuge – Duke's shop now holds a treacherous new 'Reaper's Run Voyage' costing 5 Doubloons. Any crew willing to accept this challenge must brave the waters surrounding Wanderers Refuge - with multiple crews all heading to the same location, prepare to do battle!

Reaper's Mark Challenge - Looking for more of a challenge? Equip your Reapers Mark Flag before you set sail in order to warn rival crews of your presence. Pirates who complete The Reaper's Run of Wanderers Refuge with their Reaper's Mark raised high will unlock progress towards a Legendary Commendation 'Legendary Reaper of Wanderers Refuge' and 'The Wandering Reaper' Title - only for the most fearsome pirates.

Wandering Reaper Ship Cosmetics– A Legendary Challenge deserves a Legendary reward! A new set of Ship Cosmetics are available in Duke's Shop locked behind the 'Legendary Reaper of Wanderers Refuge' Commendation; The Wandering Reaper Sail, The Wandering Reaper Hull and The Wandering Reaper Flag.

Mercenary Voyages of the Wilds & Ancient Isles - Duke also has two new voyages in his shop. These voyages cost 5 Doubloons and direct pirates to visit a specific sea region and complete a mixture of Voyage types.

Mercenary Voyage Commendations - Alongside the Legendary Commendation, there are a total of 4 Commendations available in this set for completing each of Duke's latest Mercenary Voyages. Unlocking all these commendations awards 90 Doubloons!

Merchant Alliance Improvements

Merchant Animal Payouts - The value of successfully handing in animal cargo has been significantly increased.

Cargo Run Payouts - The value of successfully handing in Cargo has been significantly increased.

Cargo Run Robustness - Cargo is much more robust and significantly easier to get to its destination in good condition.

Cargo Run Sailing Distance - The average delivery distance for Cargo Runs have been reduced, and are now a shorter sailing distance.

Updates

Floating Treasure - Significantly increased time loot floats for at the water surface before it begins to sink.

Sword Miss Swing Recovery - When swinging your sword and missing your opponent, there is an increased recovery delay before you can swing again. Players can move freely during this recovery, however, are prevented from attacking.

Food Barrels - The Shipwrights have been busy and added more food barrels to the ships.

NPC Dialog Styling - Updated styling when interacting with an NPC during Dialog.

Colour Contrast Accessibility - Updated the colour contrast of selecting items in the Settings menu to better support accessibility for WCAG standards.

Service Status Messaging - Our Live Operations team now have the ability to communicate changes to our service status to players in the game as they happen. These messages will appear and persist in the Chat Notification area when sent.

Performance Improvements

Improved loading times when loading from the front end into the game.

Voice Chat should now be much more reliable when many players are speaking at the same time.

Resolved a number of game stability issues

We are constantly reviewing the performance and stability of each patch and providing performance optimisations and stability improvements.

Fixed Issues

Gameplay

When blocking cutlass attacks from an enemy, resolved an issue where light strikes could penetrate your block and cause you to be stunned.

Switching between guns should now consistently play the full wield animation and firing delay.

Skeleton Captains and Players dropping Skeleton Fort keys should now consistently drop the key onto the fort floor, reachable by players.

Resolved an issue when rapidly firing a weapon where a bullet would not be correctly registered as fired and would trigger the hit marker without applying damage.

Resolved an issue where dropping your Capstan did not function as expected and ships continued to move.

Shipwreck Chests rewarded by Skeleton Ships or found emergently on beaches will now correctly count towards the Hoarder of Barnacled Gold commendation.

Mercenary Voyages progress bar now showing the correct number of commendations.

Push to talk setting now persists between sessions.

Legendary Skeleton Exploder title now unlocked when criteria reached.

Sprint now works correctly when bound to 'Q' or 'E' keys.

Drowning players can once again interact with barrels.

Cargo Run maps should no longer display 'Hopscotchbeard' instead of NPC Name.

Sound and Visuals

Sovereign Wheel Cosmetic now uses the correct Red & Gold texture.

Floating Rivet removed from Bone Crusher Wheel.

Resolved an issue where the Aim SFX for the Eye of Reach would play inconsistently.

Rain is no longer visible inside Skeleton Ships.

Fog now visible from the Captain's Quarters.

Players Left hand should no longer detach from steering wheel and capstan.

Wailing Barnacle Hull Livery no longer leaves blue colouring when unequipped.

SFX can be muted from the Front End.

Ship hull textures now show the correct LOD.

Players should no longer hear a bubbling sound along with low volume when in indoor areas.

'Rotten Bilge Rat Gloves' now rendering correctly.

UI

Company Rank within the Company Shop UI is now correctly scaled on wide screens.

Control Settings pages no longer have unlocalised strings.

Riddle maps no longer have font cropping issues

Removed Back button prompt from 'Choose Your Experience' screen in the front end.

NPC Tooltips should no longer be missing the first letter of the NPC's name.

Environment

Treasure Chests should no longer spawn beneath undiggable locations on Discovery Ridge & Flintlock Peninsula.

Galleon map deck player collision improved.

Players are no longer able to jump through the broadside of the galleon's hull and hide inside.

Cannon on North Side of Molten Sands Fortress no longer obstructed.

No longer possible to get stuck on Mermaid's Hideaway between trees.

No longer possible to get stuck near a tree on Discovery Ridge.

No longer possible to get stuck between rock and fence on Molten Sands Fortress.

No longer possible to get stuck between tree's on Ashen Reaches.

Ramp on the fort in Molten Sands Fortress now repaired.

Ladder leading up to Ancient Spire Tavern no longer obstructed.

Terrain no longer floating on Molten Sands Fortress.

Waves no longer clipping through ground textures on Fetcher's Rest.

Known Issues

Extended Black Screen on Loading- There is a chance that players may be held indefinitely on the Black Loading Screen with Spinner when returning from the Ghost Ship.

We are continuing to investigate this issue, however, have identified a potential workaround if you are affected by this and are in a crew. If you find yourself indefinitely stuck on the Black Loading Screen have your crew select your Gamertag from the My Crew menu and 'Vote to Lock in the Brig'. Once arriving in the Brig you can then be released to bypass the Black Screen Issue

Download and Installation

Download size:

Xbox One: 3.9GB Xbox One X: 4.9GB Windows 10: 4.9GB

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of miss SoT after dabbling in it for a few weeks in January. I just loved the weather and water effects as I slooped around doing whatever. I think next time it's on sale I'll just buy it.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Is the Molten Sands Fortress now live as a Skelly Fort?
No. Probably a part of the mega update.

Also good to hear that on the 12th they will open up the pioneer program. Let the leaks commence, no amount of planks can stop this ship from leaking.

Exclusive cosmetics you can only "earn" by "taking part in the Pioneer process" is... an interesting choice
Yep, I really don't get this decision.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got the Reaper commendation but the Reaper cosmetics are still locked out to me, what else do I need to do?
edit: nm, I didnt do it with a pvp flag up lol

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This new Voyage is a bloodbath holy cow. Fun though.

Flag up before you start the quest and it needs to be done 5 times.
Lol da fudge. Probably would be worth it to just knock off each treasure on the X maps but not even finish digging any of them up, if you're doing it solo anyways. Between time digging/carrying treasure and the amount of pvp and possibly losing all that treasure involved.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Lol da fudge. Probably would be worth it to just knock off each treasure on the X maps but not even finish digging any of them up, if you're doing it solo anyways. Between time digging/carrying treasure and the amount of pvp and possibly losing all that treasure involved.
I was on mission three and my game crashed. Not touching solo.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
So uh...those new sails...GLOW!
97zny645ikk21.jpg

BravestOrphan

Nov 2, 2017
I was watching a stream and they thought the glowing was a glitch from have the Athena sails on before because after a while the sails stopped glowing.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I like the idea of the updates but the executions so far have been poorly. It seems the sword delay also delays changing to different tools or weapons. Also to bananas. Hope they fix this very soon because this is really bad.

OP
OP

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like the idea of the updates but the executions so far have been poorly. It seems the sword delay also delays changing to different tools or weapons. Also to bananas. Hope they fix this very soon because this is really bad.
Wasn't it targeted to slowing down swapping constantly? Or was it only intended for weapon switching?

And I'm totally down for a OT reboot come anniversary if that is allowed by mods? I'm happy to give the reins to someone else if they'd like to spruce up a jazzy new one, I haven't had a chance to jump back in for awhile now and I've just taken on some new study so tad busy.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it targeted to slowing down swapping constantly? Or was it only intended for weapon switching?

And I'm totally down for a OT reboot come anniversary if that is allowed by mods? I'm happy to give the reins to someone else if they'd like to spruce up a jazzy new one, I haven't had a chance to jump back in for awhile now and I've just taken on some new study so tad busy.
Yours is great. I'm pretty terrible at them so I won't volunteer for the job but we are getting pretty close to 20k(at this rate it will take 6 months).

I like throwing out new OT titles though.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
The subreddit is truly trash at times. A suggestion that they add an indigenous cannibal tribe as enemies gets 2000 up votes. Definitely nothing problematic about that.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The subreddit is truly trash at times. A suggestion that they add an indigenous cannibal tribe as enemies gets 2000 up votes. Definitely nothing problematic about that.
I saw that post and was pretty floored by it.

And that's not to say you couldn't possibly cover the concept with nuance in a completely different style and mood of a game(for example cannibalism was an appropriate topic in TLoU), but a cartoony game that white washes and glorifies pirates is not the place to be making up caricatures of these sorts of stereotypes.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I saw that post and was pretty floored by it.

And that's not to say you couldn't possibly cover the concept with nuance in a completely different style and mood of a game(for example cannibalism was an appropriate topic in TLoU), but a cartoony game that white washes and glorifies pirates is not the place to be making up caricatures of these sorts of stereotypes.
Yup. Someone in the replies suggested a very specific crew of pirates who were cannibals or something, but the poster specifically mentions "indigenous tribe".

Upsetting how many people didn't get it.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I like the idea of other enemies than Skeletons, but yeah thats pretty problematic. Maybe some ghouls or like half skeletons, I dunno.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Honestly keeping in the style of cartoon pirate life things like ghouls, ghosts, maybe even AI players would be cool.
Exactly, It doesn't need to be racist, there are multiple ways to portray enemies. It would be cool being on a island, then suddenly you hear drums and shit, and then get swarmed by something different than skeletons.

BTW. I'm loving this new Reaper mission, we need more of these, or a good reason to run with a reaper flag.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My crew still can't tackle the kraken properly it's insta kill against us. We can't figure out what to do we hit the tentacles but once it wraps you it never gets off is there a spot to hit? I unloaded 4 clips of the shotgun and it was still there

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Question: with the new event challenge, you can lose your ship in a ship fight and your voyage completion still counts towards the 5 runs with the pvp flag up? I figure it's like this but I want to be sure before I start doing them.

LordAmused

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Question: with the new event challenge, you can lose your ship in a ship fight and your voyage completion still counts towards the 5 runs with the pvp flag up? I figure it's like this but I want to be sure before I start doing them.

You only need to complete the maps to unlock the commendation. Me and a rapidly formed up crew on Discord did 5 Wandering reaper in about 3 hours. Without digging all the chests we got about 36k.

Looked like this:

53344622_319741015564382_3331799065733103616_n.png

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Leaving a few guys on wanderers while other's go do the riddle quests is the fastest. It was also fun hanging out on the island watching other ships come, go and fight.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
This reaper mission is unbelievably good, haven't done a single one, just flying under the radar and robbing people of their hard earned work. Perfect for PVP action.

It's funny to see that a lot of people are working together on this one, but not us, not by a long shot. Sank like 6 ships yesterday, all filled with loot, so much fun.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
This reaper mission is unbelievably good, haven't done a single one, just flying under the radar and robbing people of their hard earned work. Perfect for PVP action.

It's funny to see that a lot of people are working together on this one, but not us, not by a long shot. Sank like 6 ships yesterday, all filled with loot, so much fun.
Is this the PvP people were asking for though? It's not willing PvP, it feels... weird

Everyone I've sunk and robbed so far gets angry and frustrated, saying they were "just trying to do the mission" to get the doubloons and cosmetics. It harkens back to the early Hungering Deep days of people camping Sharkbait Cove to sink people trying to do the voyages. It's combat, and it's PvP, but it's decidedly one sided

The voyages cost doubloons too, so it's not just stealing gold when you stop someone from completing it. And it's not rewarding for them to engage you, since campers have nothing to lose. It's a weird dynamic, and I wonder if it'll turn off just as many people who enjoy it

Arena better be good, because Rare has had a really hard time working rewarding and willing PvP into the game outside of Forts

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, it's a pirate game. Isn't it exactly the point that some (unfriendly) people rob some other, well-meaning people of their hard earned plunder?

Regarding a more symmterical / mutual PVP experience: That's what Arena should be all about.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Is this the PvP people were asking for though? It's not willing PvP, it feels... weird

Everyone I've sunk and robbed so far gets angry and frustrated, saying they were "just trying to do the mission" to get the doubloons and cosmetics. It harkens back to the early Hungering Deep days of people camping Sharkbait Cove to sink people trying to do the voyages. It's combat, and it's PvP, but it's decidedly one sided

The voyages cost doubloons too, so it's not just stealing gold when you stop someone from completing it. And it's not rewarding for them to engage you, since campers have nothing to lose. It's a weird dynamic, and I wonder if it'll turn off just as many people who enjoy it

Arena better be good, because Rare has had a really hard time working rewarding and willing PvP into the game outside of Forts
No, its by no means a proper PVP mission, but so far the closest thing we have gotten to one.

When you put up that flag, you must understand the risk wearing it. It might feel bad, but in the end, this is a pirate game.
You win some, you lose some. I've gone through those feelings of losing loot, but once I hit PL stopped caring.
And we always try to attack high level players, because nothing gets your blood running better than a good/worthy opponent in this game. Easy prey is just not so rewarding.

Clessidor

Oct 30, 2017

The thing is that there is a reward for the recommendation. And it's a risk aspects catering to those who love PvP interactions, but the reward attracts all kind of players, strengthen the general idea of a mixed player interaction culture like Forts and co. also have. I personal like the idea. I'm just not sure. Is it even possible making finishing missions impossible? I think the reapers mark and the voyage keeps running. So finishing the voyage should still be possible for them. They just won't get any loot out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.