• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
NZdndvs.gif

Credit to Centracor for the amazing OT image (seriously, so damn good!)

As a general reminder, the OT is used to discuss the game. If you had any other opinions regarding the platform, feel free to create a new thread.

Thread Music: Sea of Thieves - Becalmed (Remake)

Server Status: Online
Matchmaking Status: Online (Solo Play Online)

Xbox Live Clubs: "Era of Thieves"

Click picture to be taken to Discord

Firstly, to begin your journey on becoming a pirate worthy of a tale you must first choose a voyage and take on the challenges lying ahead. To do so simply visit one of the companies mentioned below and acquire their initiate voyage for 0 gold. Once acquired head to your boat and place the voyage on the table behind your ship's map to begin your adventure. Once chosen and voted on you'll be given a map or objective and must complete it in order to obtain the required item, which you can store on your boat until you are safely docked at any of the nearby outposts located in the world.

Simply put, Sea of Thieves is a game where you can literally do whatever you want; be it swimming around shark-infested waters, taking on voyages to become the next legendary pirate of the seven seas or ferrying pigs across large swathes of #GreatWater - Sea of Thieves lets you do many things at once or one thing for awhile. The ocean is your sandbox and it is up to you on the toys you want to play with.

Currently there are THREE Companies present in SoT. These are: The Gold Hoarders, The Order of Souls and The Merchant Alliance. Each one beckons you on a different voyage type that will have you fighting enemies for their own treasured possessions, scurrying the land for that chicken to bring back in time for dinner or questioning your ability to solve riddles in return for the rarest of treasure. Each company has its own tiered ranking that you gain experience for by completing their voyage or task, with each significant tier unlocking harder quests or even the most lucrative of shiny gear to bequeath your inner pirate fashionista.

But that isn't all that Sea of Thieves has to offer, with Skeleton Fortress raids to conquer around the world that will require the best of the best pirates and a barrel load of bananas to boot. These raids will shower you in treasures a pirate could only dream of, but beware it isn't to be taken lightly. There are also rumours of a deep-sea creature lurking beneath the ocean's waves, ready to strike at any moment with its many tentacles and poisonous saliva but only few have survived to tell the tale of what is known as The Kraken.

Current enemies and NPCs in the game:

Skeletons (can use Pistol, Blunderbuss or Cutlass)
Gold Skeletons (weakness: water; strength: takes more hits)
Plant Skeletons (weakness and strength: unknown yet)
Shadow Skeletons (weakness: light; strength: does more damage in darkness)
Skeleton Captain (incredibly tougher and deals more damage)
The Kraken
Sharks
Snakes (actually hurt)
Pigs (capture, also needs to be fed)
Chickens (capture)

Along your journey to be the Legendary Pirate you'll face many dangers, so be well equipped and banana at the ready to take on these challenges. At times you'll fear even the most smallest of enemies to begin with but gaining strength means gaining combat knowledge, but also beware of even harder enemies to come as you grow. Sail strong, pirate, and may the most lucrative treasures come before your hands.

Platform(s): Xbox One, PC (Windows 10 Store) - Crossplay, Gamepass and Crossbuy Enabled
Players: 1-4 Players Online Only
Release Date: 20/3/2018 (or 03/20/2018 for American English)
Developer: Rare
Publisher: Microsoft
Size: PC - 19.62GB | Xbox One - 9.02GB | Xbox One X - 18.64GB

SNAqvOX.jpg

Exotic islands. Hidden treasures. Riddles, battles and shanties. The essential pirate experience.

Sea of Thieves is a new type of multiplayer game that delivers all you need to live the free-roaming pirate life.
Whether adventuring as a group or sailing solo, you'll encounter other crews... but will they be friends or foes, and how will you respond?

Reputation is everything. Become a pirate legend!

kBNJwGO.png

COMBAT ON (AND OFF) THE WAVES

Before leaving the island where your legend begins, you and your crew will need to learn the art of sailing – or at least get confident enough to make each journey a pleasure rather than an undignified series of near-collisions.

Crews need to cover steering, navigating, setting the sails and maintaining battle readiness, along with repairing and bailing if things don't go to plan. Successful pirates tend to pick up the basics very quickly...

Learning to handle a cannon is just one way of proving you're a force to be reckoned with.

When you're ashore you'll come to rely on a broader arsenal, from the old faithful cutlass to the high-impact blunderbuss, each weapon bringing its own unique quirks and traits to be mastered. Choosing the right weapon for the right situation (and not running out of ammo) will be key to both survival and success on your travels.

giphy.gif

KEEP YOUR GUARD UP WITH THESE WEAPONS

657KgeF.png

Even an experienced pirate thinks twice before sailing into a storm, and with good reason. Not only is visibility reduced, affecting your ability to steer clear of obstacles and hostile ships, but the swelling waves can easily carry you off course. Still, a confident crew can attempt to outpace rivals or evade pursuit by harnessing the elements – although nothing can grant you immunity to the business end of a lightning bolt!

Rival crews aren't the only foes you'll encounter on the Sea of Thieves. Many other threats can and will make themselves known on your journey, often when you least expect it. Should you find yourself nose-to-nose with a starving shark, fending off the skeletal mob that's overrun a tumbledown fort or facing down some other unforeseen menace, you'll need to make full use of your wits, weapons and environment to survive.

NegativeInsistentDachshund-size_restricted.gif

As you set out to carve a legacy you're sure to stumble across signs of those who came before you, but be warned: not all of Sea of Thieves' legends are content to linger in the past. Pirates who set sail in search of these deeper, darker secrets may find themselves forced into facing savage Skeleton Captains, the truth behind rumours of gargantuan sea beasts and myriad other dangers lurking beneath the surface of the world…

Whether you've taken a close-up look at a shark's insides or toppled off a cliff after one grog too many, you'll find yourself awakening aboard this spectral ship. If the prospect of spending eternity with the recently deceased seems galling, don't worry – the ship's captain may look unsympathetic, but he'll soon return you to the land of the living. Why not pass the time by commiserating with your ghostly fellow passengers?

ZjLNbs4.jpg

8Ds21Cv.png
2BeFxMI.jpg

Not everyone you'll encounter makes their living as a pirate. Alongside the shopkeepers and shipwrights who ply their trades at outposts, you'll find representatives of various Companies ranging from legitimate businesses to secret societies. These Companies have their own reasons for braving the Sea of Thieves, and will be only too happy to reward crews willing to undertake dangerous work on their behalf.

NOV9ZBV.jpg

There's no talking your way to infamy in Sea of Thieves! The only way to build a reputation with the region's Trading Companies is to successfully complete the voyages they offer at outposts. Getting the job done will net you an immediate reward, and the more voyages you vanquish the more you'll rise up through the Company's ranks, taking on trickier tasks, gaining their trust and earning yourself prestigious titles and unique items.

ReCADXI.jpg

AN UNTAMED PIRATE FRONTIER

Fit to burst with far-flung destinations, inspiring vistas and stirring sunsets, this world is portrayed in a distinctive painterly art style that brings out the best in its roguish residents and most deplorable denizens.

Not to mention some seriously #GreatWater befitting all kinds of epic high seas adventures.

As you'd expect from a world that attracts fortune-seekers in such numbers, the Sea of Thieves sings with secrets and covert stashes. Shove through the undergrowth to find places off the beaten path or stay alert for seagulls flocking over sunken wrecks and you could reap the rewards: precious resources to top up your food and ammo rations, or beautiful, barnacled hoards of gold that went down with their luckless owners.

Player's can customise their pirate at any time, if you have the right amount of gold that is. Head to any of the merchants available at all outposts to access a variety of gear including: weapons fit for a pirate legend, peg legs that may or may not be borrowed from the dead and an eye patch that is sure to swoon even the most cold-hearted skeleton.

FairEminentEquestrian-size_restricted.gif

4XHaUoD.jpg

PIRATE CODE (Online Interaction Rules)

Becoming a Pirate Legend: Progression in Sea of Thieves - Official Walkthrough

Official Sea of Thieves Controller

3vtedip.jpg

Special thanks to everyone in the past closed/open beta thread for keeping it real, been great fun and can't wait to continue the adventures!

4jMKrJU.gif

Credit to Zvonimir Boban for the sweet piggy!

Last edited:

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Getting back to it after work to read it all. So hyped for the game! Thank you for the OT

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Very nice OT! Haven't been this excited for a game in quite some time.
Sea of Thieves has a different approach to things, and it feels very unique I love it.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I want to get this, avoided the beta so I could go in to the full game fresh.

How is it if you're mainly a solo player? Don't really have any rl friends that plan to get it so probably gonna be on my own most of the time.

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
Wow great OT

The beta was so so good, working together on ship was brilliantly done, can't wait for the full game

OP
OP

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

How is it if you're mainly a solo player? Don't really have any rl friends that plan to get it so probably gonna be on my own most of the time.
It is perfectly playable as a solo player, you even have your own ship, the Sloop that is one-man capable. It does have built in matchmaking if you choose to expand your pirate crew and voice chat for both platforms.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
It will be fascinating to see how the game evolves over the years, as this game will undoubtedly command Rare's full attention for the next fee years.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Can't wait to set sail with my friends! And, incredibly enough, friends who I never played with and I didn't even know were interested in multiplayer games, contacted me asking if we can form a crew at launch. One of them, a huge AC fan who always played on PS, even bought an Xbox One S just for playing this. That's crazy.

It's doable but you have to approach things differently. You have to protect yourself and your treasures from other crews, so this would mean more travels back to outpost to sell your crates, and fleeing from bigger galleons when you meet them if you've got chests onboard.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I almost wish that I could go into this game fresh, the first time experience was amazing.

Single man piracy is doable, and I plan on playing solo on occasion, but with a crew it's a different thing, operating the ship and everything changes. And even playing with randoms without a mic is pretty well implemented. Theres a textwheel that changes according to the tool/item you are currently holding.

And there's propably going to be a active Era community for finding people to play with.

Remedy

Oct 29, 2017
If you want the game for cheap for 2 months on PC, just buy the 1 month game pass on cdkeys (dot com). You have to be a new game pass member though (edited). It's $2.09. For the extra month, just accept the "free month if you sign up for a game pass monthly subscription now" thing and then immediately cancel it. You still get the free month.

Bam, 2 months of Sea of Thieves for $2.09. After that it's either $8 a month for game pass or you buy the game I guess?

Last edited:

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Going to try this out with ms game pass on pc.
Anyone knows if pre-load is enabled ?
It will be also the first game i will be downloading and playing using the windows 10 store.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Signed up for game pass today.

Can't wait.

I just fear we will be content starved for the first few months of release.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't know it had matchmaking for finding crews, that will be useful. Hopefully there's a resetera group for people to play with too.

If you want the game for cheap for 2 months on PC, just buy the 1 month game pass on cdkeys (dot com). You have to be a new member on cdkeys though. It's $2.09. For the extra month, just accept the "free month if you sign up for game pass monthly now" thing and then immediately cancel it. You still get the free month.

Bam, 2 months of Sea of Thieves for $2.09. After that it's either $8 a month for game pass or you buy the game I guess?

Wait, you can use game pass for pc?

I thought it was for console only?

According to the faq:
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/bill...ame-pass-faq#148dc3dbe43342d8898cec34f09091e5

Can I use Xbox Game Pass on my Windows 10 PC?
Xbox Game Pass can only be used on Xbox One consoles.

Deleted member 8245

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you want the game for cheap for 2 months on PC, just buy the 1 month game pass on cdkeys (dot com). You have to be a new member on cdkeys though. It's $2.09. For the extra month, just accept the "free month if you sign up for game pass monthly now" thing and then immediately cancel it. You still get the free month.

Wouldn't the "new account" thing be confined to being a Microsoft account? Or are CDkeys offering a free month for new accounts? I'm confused by the way you phrased it, coupled with the fact that CDkeys says the codes only work for new accounts.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
Beta with friends was so damn fun. Can't wait to play it on Tuesday. This game will be probably my TOP 3 this year.

Slick OT !

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

How does this work on PC? The FAQ says the Game Pass does not work in Windows 10?

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yaaaaay it's just about here. Congrats to everyone at Rare. Sadly I am out all week at GDC but I hope that just means I avoid being frustrated by early server/connectivity issues if there are any. Looking forward to playing this weekend.

Djawed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cant wait to watch some streams before i install multiboot win 10

Edit: where are the reviews?

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Excited for the reviews, also to play the game on tuesday
Sadly learned i cant preload via game pass

Been closely following this game since it was announced and played all of the public betas, its finally happening

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I can't believe it's been nearly three years since we saw the game for the first time. The Rare-renaissance is nearly here!

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

this also works for Xbox, not just PC.
As long as the account you use has not used gamepass before, this will work. Your PC and Xbox account are the same.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
In. Nice OP. I've avoided all of the betas on this one, but will be there on launch day. Really hyped to experience that water and the HDR they've implemented.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Its kinda crazy to think this game is finally out when its been ages.

I have a feeling theyre expecting the same kind of twitch numbers the open beta did which would be impressive. I just know a lot of people who enjoyed watching the beta but were turned off by it being bare bones on top of needing W10 to play it.

I know the full game obviously isnt like that but those are two hurdles they need to get over.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Its kinda crazy to think this game is finally out when its been ages.

I have a feeling theyre expecting the same kind of twitch numbers the open beta did which would be impressive. I just know a lot of people who enjoyed watching the beta but were turned off by it being bare bones on top of needing W10 to play it.

I know the full game obviously isnt like that but those are two hurdles they need to get over.

If they get 25% of those views they'd be happy I guess.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
I'm probably getting fired this week but at least I get to have plenty of time to play this through gamepass on launch day. Good thread title btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.