• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I really hope Rare brings these Tall Tale things to the base voyages, like star maps etc.
But only after they have released the next set of Tall Tale voyages, with new elements.

Also it would be nice, if they added "bosses" to Forts as the final enemy to get the key, with different move sets and special attacks.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't help but agree. I love Arena, but it absolutely is a full crew experience. Matchmade randoms seldom stand a chance agaisnt a full communicative crew.

Still, a proper BR mode 20 ships across the full map, that consistently shrinks? Hull armour pickups? Cursed cannon balls? Yes please.

CTF? Sloop Arena with 20 crews of 2?

Limitless possibilities...

They should add a bilge rat variants to arena that are limited time and could eventually make their way into full on modes.

But another simple variant would just be an order of souls variant (I think the merchant stuff wouldn't be that fun)

I'm curious when insiders will start up again

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I really dislike the way that people talk about this game. The core concept of SoT is great, but post-launch this game has become less fun and has turned into a grindy mess of ideas.

People are excited about the new skeleton lords? Really? Has anyone played them? They literally just cycle through the same behavior loop and then bullet sponge scale to the size of your crew. To make matters worse, they have a ridiculous ground-pound splash damage attack that is not dodgeable and eats away at your health bar. Like everything else in this game, playing with a 4-person crew can be fun, but the underlying game design is really poor. I don't even understand why these skeleton lords have a "eat banana" behavior when their health is basically static and dependent on crew size. These fights are basically run at skeleton lord, shoot, run out of ammo, eat fruit, repeat. I do not understand what makes this enjoyable. This game would be so much better off with more complicated Zelda style enemies, but obviously there is some underlying tech issue that prevents Rare from improving the AI in SoT in any meaningful way.

The new Hunters Call Trading company is another grindy element. Fishing and collecting can be fun to do in-between the action, but then you quickly realize how insanely difficult they made it to level up in this trading company. To make matters worse, fishing is totally just RNG/probability based, and you can spend hours trying to catch something that just doesn't spawn due to dice roll. Again, what is fun about this? The hours that go into leveling up in this Trading Company, combined with the RNG based fishing makes me feel like I am playing a slot machine. It actually puts me into a semi existential crisis when I think about all of the better things I could be doing with my time instead of constantly farming fish in order to get a couple rare fish, or enough to max out 50 collected in order to get the commendation.

The same is true for the tall tales. While they can be fun as a one-off thing. In order to "complete" the Tall Tale adventures, they are meant to be completed 5 times each. And additionally, the game wants you find random journals scattered throughout the world that are not based on any provided hints (and something that most people are just going to look up in a guide). Isn't this do x y times something that people complained about with the game Anthem?

Arena is horrible, and the fact that people are still going on about Battle Royale, makes me really sad. SoT was fun and special because it was a shared world experience in which you could approach any PvP however you want. The fact that there is now a separate PvP instance of the game takes away from what made this game special in the first place. There are tons of Battle Royale games out there, some of us actually enjoyed SoT because it bucked industry trends. Now I feel like Rare is just trying to crowd source develop this game, and cater to the lowest common denominator.

To make matters worse, in adventure mode there are now two regions in every server (DR, and Shores of Gold) that are split out from the rest of the world. Player max server populations have always been low, but now there is even less chance to encounter crews because a subset of every server population could be off in DR or Shores of Gold. I am fine with expanding the world of SoT, but if it is not technically feasible to increase player population per server, we do not need more nautical miles. I would have rather seen expanded details in the base world instead of adding these new regions.

At the end of the day, I really like SoT, but I also feel like this game is filled with tons of bugs and really bad game design choices. As an older gamer that has a full time job and other hobbies I also extremely dislike that Rare seems to be adopting game design trends from games like Destiny that really emphasize the grind and that dopamine rush of getting the next coolest cosmetic. Rather that fleshing out the game world and expanding on the sandbox and player interaction elements that made the game in the first place.

In short, as someone who participated in the SoT alpha, this game used to feel special. Now it feels a lot like other games, and is quite frankly doing a lot to turning me off to modern game design more broadly.

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The core concept of Sea of Thieves was great, but I'm not sure if it would've been sustainable for both the devs and Microsoft. For the devs because creating content for that shared world experience with meaningful encounters and sandbox will take a lot more work. For Microsoft because it wouldn't be as mainstream as it (possibly) will be now.

I fell in love with the original design. But I understand why they decided to go with arena.

(Agree about the other things by the way. Server population is too low, there are still too many annoyances and the Tall Tales skeleton kings feel like an easy way out to create a boss.)

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike the way that people talk about this game. The core concept of SoT is great, but post-launch this game has become less fun and has turned into a grindy mess of ideas.

People are excited about the new skeleton lords? Really? Has anyone played them? They literally just cycle through the same behavior loop and then bullet sponge scale to the size of your crew. To make matters worse, they have a ridiculous ground-pound splash damage attack that is not dodgeable and eats away at your health bar. Like everything else in this game, playing with a 4-person crew can be fun, but the underlying game design is really poor. I don't even understand why these skeleton lords have a "eat banana" behavior when their health is basically static and dependent on crew size. These fights are basically run at skeleton lord, shoot, run out of ammo, eat fruit, repeat. I do not understand what makes this enjoyable. This game would be so much better off with more complicated Zelda style enemies, but obviously there is some underlying tech issue that prevents Rare from improving the AI in SoT in any meaningful way.

The new Hunters Call Trading company is another grindy element. Fishing and collecting can be fun to do in-between the action, but then you quickly realize how insanely difficult they made it to level up in this trading company. To make matters worse, fishing is totally just RNG/probability based, and you can spend hours trying to catch something that just doesn't spawn due to dice roll. Again, what is fun about this? The hours that go into leveling up in this Trading Company, combined with the RNG based fishing makes me feel like I am playing a slot machine. It actually puts me into a semi existential crisis when I think about all of the better things I could be doing with my time instead of constantly farming fish in order to get a couple rare fish, or enough to max out 50 collected in order to get the commendation.

The same is true for the tall tales. While they can be fun as a one-off thing. In order to "complete" the Tall Tale adventures, they are meant to be completed 5 times each. And additionally, the game wants you find random journals scattered throughout the world that are not based on any provided hints (and something that most people are just going to look up in a guide). Isn't this do x y times something that people complained about with the game Anthem?

Arena is horrible, and the fact that people are still going on about Battle Royale, makes me really sad. SoT was fun and special because it was a shared world experience in which you could approach any PvP however you want. The fact that there is now a separate PvP instance of the game takes away from what made this game special in the first place. There are tons of Battle Royale games out there, some of us actually enjoyed SoT because it bucked industry trends. Now I feel like Rare is just trying to crowd source develop this game, and cater to the lowest common denominator.

To make matters worse, in adventure mode there are now two regions in every server (DR, and Shores of Gold) that are split out from the rest of the world. Player max server populations have always been low, but now there is even less chance to encounter crews because a subset of every server population could be off in DR or Shores of Gold. I am fine with expanding the world of SoT, but if it is not technically feasible to increase player population per server, we do not need more nautical miles. I would have rather seen expanded details in the base world instead of adding these new regions.

At the end of the day, I really like SoT, but I also feel like this game is filled with tons of bugs and really bad game design choices. As an older gamer that has a full time job and other hobbies I also extremely dislike that Rare seems to be adopting game design trends from games like Destiny that really emphasize the grind and that dopamine rush of getting the next coolest cosmetic. Rather that fleshing out the game world and expanding on the sandbox and player interaction elements that made the game in the first place.

In short, as someone who participated in the SoT alpha, this game used to feel special. Now it feels a lot like other games, and is quite frankly doing a lot to turning me off to modern game design more broadly.
Man this just seems really nitpicky. I honestly can't fathom how anyone can look at this update and thing "boo all this stuff made the game worse"

I can see the potential problems in splitting up pvp and pve, but in practice, in my experience, adventure mode feels no different. You don't just get passive no pvp players. People still fight and steal. Just check this thread about people whining about how they want a solo or pve only server. Arena is fantastic for those who want action who don't want to commit to a 4 hour session. A quick, 20 minute activity is something this game BADLY needed. Something that just isn't possible in adventure mode as anything worth a damn takes hours and you aren't even guaranteed any loot at the end.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I have not played in a while and started the Tall Tales today. I got to the point where I found the Ancient Chest and took it to my ship and got a Totem. I then set sail for where I thought the place I needed to go. On my way, I was sunk by opposing players and when I reloaded, I still had the pages with the clues, but the Totem is no where. The book still tells me the same clues it added when I opened the chest and retrieved the Totem. But if I find where I need to go, I know I will need to the Totem. Will it respawn when I get there or do I have to find the Ancient Chest again to get the Totem?

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
Completing them 5 times is the worst. They're not that great. But the journals aren't that bad. The first one is usually* at the island where you do your first part of the quest. In each of the journals an island is mentioned, where the next journal is placed.

* The quest islands are random, so you might not find the first one at all. This is a big issue. There's one that I'm thinking of that goes like this: the first part of the quest is either at Shark Bait Cove (where the first journal is), or Snake Island, so if you get Snake Island you're screwed.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I have not played in a while and started the Tall Tales today. I got to the point where I found the Ancient Chest and took it to my ship and got a Totem. I then set sail for where I thought the place I needed to go. On my way, I was sunk by opposing players and when I reloaded, I still had the pages with the clues, but the Totem is no where. The book still tells me the same clues it added when I opened the chest and retrieved the Totem. But if I find where I need to go, I know I will need to the Totem. Will it respawn when I get there or do I have to find the Ancient Chest again to get the Totem?

Unless the other crew left it in the water for you, consider it gone. You'll probably need to restart the tale.

I really dislike the way that people talk about this game. The core concept of SoT is great, but post-launch this game has become less fun and has turned into a grindy mess of ideas. *SNIP*

Been playing SoT a few days a week since the closed beta and I disagree that it's less fun now. If you are the player that has to get everything, all the achievements and commendations - best let go of needing to complete everything 100%. When I log on either solo or with my regular crew I like having a variety of things to do. I'm not going to do any of the Tall Tales 5 times in a row - they're not time-limited content so I don't feel any pressure to just grind and treadmill any of this content. I could see them making some adjustments to how slow Hunter's Call is but to get Pirate Legend you only need to be Level 50 in 3 factions so I'm not upset if this one takes a long time. I've been a Pirate Legend since August and had no factions to level, so it's kinda nice to have one again.

Gotta say also that I love The Arena. It's a short SoT experience for when dedicating hours isn't feasible and it really shows off the best the game has to offer, on demand.

Re: Server population - It's rare that I'll set out and not see ANY other ships. I feel like now there's so much to do all around the map that maybe for a short time people will just do their own thing, but that's what the Bilge Rats stuff has helped with.

Oct 25, 2017

i mean, i can agree with stuff like the skeleton lords, but the idea that now sea of thieves became grindy is kinda stupid. Sea of Thieves was grindy from day one, if anything, there's a lot more to do that take advantage of the organic nature of the game, now.

they should do gimmicks like the second skeleton lord, where you can
break the chests before he summons more skellies or does the ground pound
. They also should cut off the banana eating and lower the health bar of these fuckers

I really, really disagree with your thoughts, also as someone coming from the alpha/base launch, especially with it going towards modern game design. There isn't anything like SOT out there, for better or worse. The idea about it becoming grindy, especially, makes absolutely no sense.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Got a bone to pick with Rare about Briggsy
My crew of 3 spent at least two hours last night fighting Briggsy. So many kegs, gunshots, cannonballs, sword slashes, we tried everything from harpooning her to splashing her with buckets, every now and then she'd try to eat a banana and we'd interrupt her, then she'd wail and we'd think we made progress, but she would never, ever die. I resorted to Google to see what we were doing wrong and some people say it only takes one cannonball, others say one keg, others say 20 minutes of fighting. I can only assume our Briggsy was glitched. I've been playing since launch, I've solo'd skelly forts and krakens and Megs, I've never had as frustrating a session. My crewmates finally had to go to sleep so we just quit :'( I hope the next time we load it up she is a bit easier.
Wow yeah, it must have been glitched. It was just me and a friend who took her out the other night, and it was like a 10 minute fight. Super fast.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Alright, with all the feedback talking about how much better the game is right now in comparison to its release, I think I'm giving it a try. Without reading too much into the thread yet, two questions:

- is the game playabale solo? I mean, is it fun and engaging without a group of people?

- does adventure mode has an actual story, lore, etc, or is it purely objective based with no continuity from objective A, to B, to C, etc?

Thanks!

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Alright, with all the feedback talking about how much better the game is right now in comparison to its release, I think I'm giving it a try. Without reading too much into the thread yet, two questions:

- is the game playabale solo? I mean, is it fun and engaging without a group of people?

- does adventure mode has an actual story, lore, etc, or is it purely objective based with no continuity from objective A, to B, to C, etc?

Thanks!

1) Yes, but as a solo player you then need to do all the things on your ship by yourself - sails, steering, firing cannons, using the harpoon, map table, repairing holes in your ship, etc. Playing solo in SoT is hard, because.. the game is set in a shared world and with up to 5 other crews (from small ships to larger) you can get easily overpowered by more skilled players. While progression in the game is flat and other players won't have any weapons or items that are more powerful than ones you have, unless you're ready to deal with a 4-person galleon bearing down on you it's easy to lose gold or quest items to other pirates. You'll win some, and you'll lose some - and you have to be ready to take the L sometimes.

2) Yes, it's an actual story divided into 9 parts that you do individually. There is continuity from some previous event content in the game and from the SoT novel and comic book series.

Oct 29, 2017
I really, really disagree with your thoughts, also as someone coming from the alpha/base launch, especially with it going towards modern game design. There isn't anything like SOT out there, for better or worse. The idea about it becoming grindy, especially, makes absolutely no sense.

People forget this, but commendations didn't really exist until Hungering Deep. As a fun exercise, go back and look at your Hungering Deep commendation page. It's really more of a quest page, and there is none of this artificial time lengtheners like "kill a skeleton with a cursed ball x times" or "complete each tall tale 5 times" or "kill the ghost meg x times."

Yes, prior to post launch content releases, the game was still grindy. It was still based around progressing to pirate legend, which took a very long time to do before you were able to purchase levels. But at that time, there was still a hope from many in the community that Rare would be able to implement some of the stuff they discussed in the alpha like daily/weekly events that significantly changed the world. Special quests, new enemy types, etc.

It's now a year in, and they cannot even add the banjo due to technical limitations with the RAM, and they had to completely redo the physics system sometime around time that they added the AI skeleton ships. If you want me to dig up the build patch notes, I will do that.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game. I recognize that the game is about the journey not the destination. But I still think that the post launch development is built too much around grinding. When you play with good players, so much of the game becomes about exploiting broken mechanics to grind as quickly and efficiently as possible, that it takes away from the social elements of the game that made the game special in the first place.

Perhaps this is more reflective of the Xbox Live community more generally, but the types of players that I encounter who have the most stuff are the sad souls who spend 6-8 hours a day sucking vape pens, drinking rockstar, and trying to complete commendations as quickly as possible. Perhaps they are having some fun along the way, but many of these people feel like people who would otherwise be spending hours at a casino. And my biggest problem with this, is Rare rewards players who do this. Look no further than the special randomized cosmetic that you receive for completing each Tall Tale 5 times.

Look, there's always going to be players who want to devote hours to the games they love. But quite honestly the elements of SoT that I love the most are the social elements, and working with and fighting against other crews. As far as social elements to the sandbox go, basically only the speaking trumpet was added. To make matters worse, one of the most enjoyable elements of SoT around launch was the great battles that occurred at Skull Forts. Those are basically dead now.

I love SoT, I just hate grindy game design. We have gotten way too accustomed to it as players, and it's not something that is inherently necessary in multiplayer games. If a game is fun, people will play it. Perhaps a subset of players will develop a meta around some late game goal. But too much of this game is built around the meta of hunting commendations, and most if not all commendations are still fetch quests in one form or another.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
People forget this, but commendations didn't really exist until Hungering Deep. As a fun exercise, go back and look at your Hungering Deep commendation page. It's really more of a quest page, and there is none of this artificial time lengtheners like "kill a skeleton with a cursed ball x times" or "complete each tall tale 5 times" or "kill the ghost meg x times."

Yes, prior to post launch content releases, the game was still grindy. It was still based around progressing to pirate legend, which took a very long time to do before you were able to purchase levels. But at that time, there was still a hope from many in the community that Rare would be able to implement some of the stuff they discussed in the alpha like daily/weekly events that significantly changed the world. Special quests, new enemy types, etc.

It's now a year in, and they cannot even add the banjo due to technical limitations with the RAM, and they had to completely redo the physics system sometime around time that they added the AI skeleton ships. If you want me to dig up the build patch notes, I will do that.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game. I recognize that the game is about the journey not the destination. But I still think that the post launch development is built too much around grinding. When you play with good players, so much of the game becomes about exploiting broken mechanics to grind as quickly and efficiently as possible, that it takes away from the social elements of the game that made the game special in the first place.

Perhaps this is more reflective of the Xbox Live community more generally, but the types of players that I encounter who have the most stuff are the sad souls who spend 6-8 hours a day sucking vape pens, drinking rockstar, and trying to complete commendations as quickly as possible. Perhaps they are having some fun along the way, but many of these people feel like people who would otherwise be spending hours at a casino. And my biggest problem with this, is Rare rewards players who do this. Look no further than the special randomized cosmetic that you receive for completing each Tall Tale 5 times.

Look, there's always going to be players who want to devote hours to the games they love. But quite honestly the elements of SoT that I love the most are the social elements, and working with and fighting against other crews. As far as social elements to the sandbox go, basically only the speaking trumpet was added. To make matters worse, one of the most enjoyable elements of SoT around launch was the great battles that occurred at Skull Forts. Those are basically dead now.

I love SoT, I just hate grindy game design. We have gotten way too accustomed to it as players, and it's not something that is inherently necessary in multiplayer games. If a game is fun, people will play it. Perhaps a subset of players will develop a meta around some late game goal. But too much of this game is built around the meta of hunting commendations, and most if not all commendations are still fetch quests in one form or another.

Commendations did exist at launch for all of the trading companies. There were no special events until Hungering Deep if that's what you mean? Let's also not forget that the biggest complaint with Hungering Deep was that once you did the quest, there was no reason for you to go back and complete it. After the first weekend, it was extremely difficult to find players to join you on the quest, because why would another crew want to join you if they already finished it and there was no incentive (no gold, commendations, cosmetics, etc -- only the possibility of losing your ship or for you to feel good that you helped someone out)? Back then, it was a lot of people sailing around, asking crews to help, getting rejected and maybe quit and rejoin a different server to try other people. The community was begging for a reason to do content multiple times. This is why they added many of the "grindy" commendations for Tall Tales, Bilge Rat Adventures and the other events. Now, if you matchmake into a group of people who are doing a Tall Tale, there's reason for you to stick around to complete something that you already did because you're still making progress for yourself. You don't need to do it if you don't want to, but if you feel the cosmetics are worth it, or you're a completionist, you might as well do it.

Sometimes they've gone too far in setting the goals for replayability -- a big one that comes to mind is the killing of groups of skeletons with the cursed cannonballs. It's definitely a balance they need to strike, and it's not as easy as telling Rare not to have any activity where you need to do something X times, because then you're back to all of the problems that Rare originally had around players immediately bouncing out of any activity they already have done, instead of joining the crew for the ride, and still make some progress.

People will naturally optimize the time and effort involved and I don't think there's much you can do about that behavior. When people replay ANY content, whether it's a single player game or an MMO, because they know what to expect, they'll naturally find shortcuts and go for time efficiency. If you're not this type of player, my only suggestion is that this is why you should use the LFG system, or Discord to find more like minded people.

I also don't disagree that player encounters have become less interesting in the latest update, and I don't really think that's unexpected due to the addition of Tall Tales, and also the Arena where a lot of hardcore PVP players likely are focusing right now. I do hope they push for more social interactions, and look into adding more tools to facilitate this for sure, whether it be new world events, quests, etc to bring players together (whether for positive or negative interactions!). I do think that over the next few weeks as more and more people finish the tales, there will be a new normalcy to the encounters, and I'd expect that to increase versus where it feels like they are now.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Commendations didnt "really exist" at launch because the ones for the main companies were initially skewed so high the average player wasnt going to be able to hit that shit so everyone but the wackos who already maxed out Athenas and had all the cosmetics by May ignored them. Pretending they didnt exist at all is flatout goofy

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
SoT's equilibrium always shifts after updates. For a time there were fears alliances would wreck world PvP. Nope. I think the game will feel different again in a month or so when Tall Tales is less fresh, ditto Arena.

As for 'grind', some of the commendations are tough, but equally, you don't have to do them.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Tall Tales is just amazing.

With three story quests still to go, the quests so far were not only really well made from a production value standpoint, but also lead to many memorable moments and adventures with my mates.

You can definitely tell Mayles designed some of the riddles.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
William_Herschel I agree with you in that this game should be about emergent adventures you have with your crew but that is honestly a very rose tinted and unrealistic goal in practice.

Launch SoT wasn't about going wherever the wind takes you.

All the LFG posts were like "No nonsense, order of souls grind." "No nonsense, gold hoarders grind" etc.

Not to mention every other one was "lets not play the game and instead spend 20 minute server hopping to find a fort" that was by FAR the most popular LFG post. I even got kicked out of a lobby because I suggested we just play the game and hit the fort if it comes up.

The point is, with randoms, you are almost never gonna get a shits and gigs adventure. Best you can hope for is find one of the #420friendly posts because those people generally just want to shoot the shit and sail. But they can be frustratingly inept in their own ways.

If you got a good group of friends who play this game you can do that. Otherwise basically everyone wants to do a task with a goal in mind. This isn't a SoT issue. It's in literally any multiplayer game.

Also, I don't think they need to make Hunters Call less grindy. It feels pretty good so far. Please remember how long it took to get the other companies to 50. Without rank up packages I probably wouldn't be Pirate Legend today. And they will be adding Hunters Call to the rank package options as well.

Hunters Call is also the only company without voyages. Meaning it is something you can make progress toward while doing something else. If anything, besides rank up packages, they should maybe add some hunters call loot to forts, skellyships, and other loot things. You can already find rare fish and other meats in shipwrecks.

EDIT: Just read that Polygon article. Well written but LOL at this part.

After a few days of playing solo, I found myself tied up with a group of pirates serving the golden arches. They call themselves the Clown Crew, a group of pirates, naturally, dressed up as Ronald McDonalds, sailing the ocean with a decked out red-and-yellow fleet. I joined the Clown Crew on the McFry, a medium-sized Brigantine that was serving up happy meals to the other players on the sea.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Commendations did exist at launch for all of the trading companies. There were no special events until Hungering Deep if that's what you mean? Let's also not forget that the biggest complaint with Hungering Deep was that once you did the quest, there was no reason for you to go back and complete it. After the first weekend, it was extremely difficult to find players to join you on the quest, because why would another crew want to join you if they already finished it and there was no incentive (no gold, commendations, cosmetics, etc -- only the possibility of losing your ship or for you to feel good that you helped someone out)? Back then, it was a lot of people sailing around, asking crews to help, getting rejected and maybe quit and rejoin a different server to try other people. The community was begging for a reason to do content multiple times. This is why they added many of the "grindy" commendations for Tall Tales, Bilge Rat Adventures and the other events. Now, if you matchmake into a group of people who are doing a Tall Tale, there's reason for you to stick around to complete something that you already did because you're still making progress for yourself. You don't need to do it if you don't want to, but if you feel the cosmetics are worth it, or you're a completionist, you might as well do it.

Sometimes they've gone too far in setting the goals for replayability -- a big one that comes to mind is the killing of groups of skeletons with the cursed cannonballs. It's definitely a balance they need to strike, and it's not as easy as telling Rare not to have any activity where you need to do something X times, because then you're back to all of the problems that Rare originally had around players immediately bouncing out of any activity they already have done, instead of joining the crew for the ride, and still make some progress.

People will naturally optimize the time and effort involved and I don't think there's much you can do about that behavior. When people replay ANY content, whether it's a single player game or an MMO, because they know what to expect, they'll naturally find shortcuts and go for time efficiency. If you're not this type of player, my only suggestion is that this is why you should use the LFG system, or Discord to find more like minded people.

I also don't disagree that player encounters have become less interesting in the latest update, and I don't really think that's unexpected due to the addition of Tall Tales, and also the Arena where a lot of hardcore PVP players likely are focusing right now. I do hope they push for more social interactions, and look into adding more tools to facilitate this for sure, whether it be new world events, quests, etc to bring players together (whether for positive or negative interactions!). I do think that over the next few weeks as more and more people finish the tales, there will be a new normalcy to the encounters, and I'd expect that to increase versus where it feels like they are now.

Just one point of clarification regarding commendations. They were not tied to horizontal progression as they are now (post hungering deep). Commendations prior to hungering deep were basically like internal XBL achievements, and not tied to any unlocks. Therefore, it was a focus for very few people, especially given them many of them barely made any sense and involved delivering things like rare banana crates an absurd amount of times.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
SoT's equilibrium always shifts after updates. For a time there were fears alliances would wreck world PvP. Nope. I think the game will feel different again in a month or so when Tall Tales is less fresh, ditto Arena.

As for 'grind', some of the commendations are tough, but equally, you don't have to do them.

Yep. I'm holding off on attacking other ships for the next month or so because most of the playerbase is making their way through Tall Tales.

Don't know if that applies to the rest of the community, though.

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to lose one of those quests. I don't feel the same about any other content in the game because that's all about being a pirate... whereas Tall Tales gates off content upon completion of a quest.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Well yesterday I met a bunch of players screaming ALLIANCE! ALLIANCE!!! Just so they can wreck our ship about a minute later.

I've become to fear the voices of other people in the Sea. Especially those near Mermid's Hideaway.

Fishing has never become so dangerous of a task at times lol

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well yesterday I met a bunch of players screaming ALLIANCE! ALLIANCE!!! Just so they can wreck our ship about a minute later.

I've become to fear the voices of other people in the Sea. Especially those near Mermid's Hideaway.

Fishing has never become so dangerous of a task at times lol
There was a popular post on the subreddit about Mermaids Hideaway being a secret GOAT fishing spot. You can get Pondies, Splashtails, Plentifins, and Islandhoppers. Its got a safe spot from skellies to fish pondies, great rowboat access. Edge of the map. Can hide a sloop vehind the rocks. I think like 2-3 on island cooking spots as well.

So if you ever wanted to steal some fish from some poor sap I'd suggest sailing over there.

Oct 25, 2017
Just one point of clarification regarding commendations. They were not tied to horizontal progression as they are now (post hungering deep). Commendations prior to hungering deep were basically like internal XBL achievements, and not tied to any unlocks. Therefore, it was a focus for very few people, especially given them many of them barely made any sense and involved delivering things like rare banana crates an absurd amount of times.

It's still Horizontal Progression. Everything you gain are cosmetics - and before, maybe you didn't gain them directly through the commendations, but the commendations gave currency to buy, guess what, cosmetics. And the prices were waaaaaaay higher before.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
1) Yes, but as a solo player you then need to do all the things on your ship by yourself - sails, steering, firing cannons, using the harpoon, map table, repairing holes in your ship, etc. Playing solo in SoT is hard, because.. the game is set in a shared world and with up to 5 other crews (from small ships to larger) you can get easily overpowered by more skilled players. While progression in the game is flat and other players won't have any weapons or items that are more powerful than ones you have, unless you're ready to deal with a 4-person galleon bearing down on you it's easy to lose gold or quest items to other pirates. You'll win some, and you'll lose some - and you have to be ready to take the L sometimes.

2) Yes, it's an actual story divided into 9 parts that you do individually. There is continuity from some previous event content in the game and from the SoT novel and comic book series.

I will to point 1 that you have to be on your game as a solo player. I play most of the game solo, but will crew up with rando's and some friends every once in a while. The main thing about playing solo is being aware of your surroundings and being calculated in what you do. What I mean by this, is if you are heading to a island and you are getting near to your destination, it is doing a 360 degree look to see if other ships are near you. If they are then try to figure out if they are heading your direction or not. When on a island to look for a chest or whatever, the time it takes to find it based on the distance of the other ship is what you need to factor into what you do.

The challenge is you never know what the intentions of the other players is going to be. I ran into a ton of people that just wave as they sail by, others open fire as soon as they are in range or even if they are out of range they fire just to "mess with you". It can be frustrating, but also rewarding. As a Sloop though, you can out run the bigger ships easily. I was attached by a large and medium ship last night and out run, out sailed them easily. I took a few shots, but was able to get away easily enough. But one of them later snuck up on me while I was looking for a chest and took me out, which sucked since I had a few items on board. Solo is fun, frustrating and rewarding all in one. It really comes down to checking your surroundings and being diligent.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
trickster was fantastic

anyone else afraid to open the wooden crate at the end? my buddy had to take the shroudbreaker stone back to the boat while i did it in case of a trap - and we were still paranoid our voyage would be ended at the goal line - but WE HAD TO SEE WHAT WAS INSIDE! (not spoiling that)

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
I wish we could find bait for fishing in a different manner. Like using shovel on ground for worms, like 1 dig and you get a 50/50 chance to get a worm. To find leeches you'd have to go to some little swamp (they could add those on islands) and look in the water for them, or have you running in the water and get em stuck to your characters legs and you be able to just grab them there. Grubs, well not sure where grubs hang out... under rocks I guess???

Them just being found in barrels is kinda lame imo. BTW the game is amaziiiing. :)

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I wish we could find bait for fishing in a different manner. Like using shovel on ground for worms, like 1 dig and you get a 50/50 chance to get a worm. To find leeches you'd have to go to some little swamp (they could add those on islands) and look in the water for them, or have you running in the water and get em stuck to your characters legs and you be able to just grab them there. Grubs, well not sure where grubs hang out... under rocks I guess???

Them just being found in barrels is kinda lame imo. BTW the game is amaziiiing. :)
thats a great idea

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Just wild to think Undead Labs is now almost as big as Rare was when they started development of Sea of Thieves.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
trickster was fantastic

anyone else afraid to open the wooden crate at the end? my buddy had to take the shroudbreaker stone back to the boat while i did it in case of a trap - and we were still paranoid our voyage would be ended at the goal line - but WE HAD TO SEE WHAT WAS INSIDE! (not spoiling that)

Wait what wooden crate? We got the stone from the totem vault and went back. Was there something we missed?

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
There was a popular post on the subreddit about Mermaids Hideaway being a secret GOAT fishing spot. You can get Pondies, Splashtails, Plentifins, and Islandhoppers. Its got a safe spot from skellies to fish pondies, great rowboat access. Edge of the map. Can hide a sloop vehind the rocks. I think like 2-3 on island cooking spots as well.

So if you ever wanted to steal some fish from some poor sap I'd suggest sailing over there.
Yes. I think making the location so popular has really attracted a lot of nasty people.

Hopefully we get something much later on in the road-map that allows us to shield our ship for a little while. It would be very useful for solo players but maybe more so for full crews who just want to chill out and don't randomly quit when things go bad.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I think making the location so popular has really attracted a lot of nasty people.

Hopefully we get something much later on in the road-map that allows us to shield our ship for a little while. It would be very useful for solo players but maybe more so for full crews who just want to chill out and don't randomly quit when things go bad.
Something I have been trying to champion is different tuning for solo vs crew play. There is a version of this already at play in that it takes longer to do ship actions on a galleon than a sloop. It even takes longer to dig up a chest if you are on a galleon vs a sloop.

I think they should go further and make it so solo sloops have faster actions than duo sloops. Adjust skeleton health and such as well. Would make the solo experience a little less tedious.

OP
OP
Sikamikanico

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Fate of the Morningstar was excellent. I'm glad my crew and I didn't churn through these and that we're taking our time. It's been really enjoyable. 2 to go!

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Played more Arena. One team absolutely dominated game after game. Feel like you need a 4 man crew on comms on point to do much at all. I like that, but very frustrating to be wiped over and over.

Doesn't help I can't PvP for shit. PC definitely has mega advantage imo (good players anyway).

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My crew and I finished the shores of gold last night and I am still stunned at how amazing this game has become. That final mission is everything I hoped for with this game and knowing E3 is right around the corner to see what's next I absolutely can't wait

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
Finally completed the last Tall Tale. That was so much better than I thought it would be!

Don't want to post any spoilers but the whole campaign exceeded my expectations, and I especially enjoyed the final Tale.

Excited for future Tall Tales... but for now, time to begin the long long grind to unlock the gold hoarder curse :p

Only 36 more Tall Tale missions to go lol

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Tale Tales for sure surprised me with how fun it was and its quite long also. Best thing they are gonna keep adding new ones wich is awesome.

ilikesanta

Oct 26, 2017
PSA: Don't do Trickster solo.

made it to the chamber after an hour fighting off waves and dying from skellies, spikes and exploding skellies, I made it to the final chamber only to die and failing the whole thing.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
My friends and I went back to this a few nights ago and god damn is it a treat.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Nevermind. Spent all night trying to finish the first Tall Tale and got trolled by a dude for fucking 2 hours. Can't wasted limited free time on that shit.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally my only complaint with tall tales is it desperately needs a checkpoint system. Our team did Revenge of the Morningstar, but we played the game the way it was meant to be played. We hit up shipwrecks along the way. Fished, hunted, cooked. Killed megs, krakens, skeleton ships. Played music with a solo slooper. Sold our food at the seaposts. All fun, emergent things on the way to completing the quest.

It took over 3 fucking hours. Not my intention when I first started. I literally had to go AFK to get dinner because the place I was gonna get it from was closing in half an hour. Had to make sure my controller was set in a position where I wouldn't be AFK booted.

Came back and it still took an hour to complete. We had the final stone but my crew was adamant about cooking and selling the rest of our meat. With one stove that takes a bit. So I took the stone, got in a rowboat and rowed 2 squares off to Daggertooth to complete the tale while they fished and cooked.

Some of these tales, especially solo, are LONG. And it being the emergent sandbox that it is, stuff comes up and after 2-3 hours of effort you may be forced to log off due to other commitments. I would simply checkpoint it at the last "commendation" thing or last "page" you received. This would also alleviate the issues of getting sunk either by the world, another player, or by a server error while having a physical quest item.

When you go into your tall tales menu there would be an option to resume or cancel (if you wanted to start up again). It would be kind of like people holding raid checkpoints in Destiny.