• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly having a team camp the outpost (and I mean specifically camp it just for you...) is such a crazy outlier of an experience. Unfortunately best you can do there is take the L, re-roll server.

My thoughts too. There's a max of six ships on an entire server. A situation where another ship would camp an outpost in the hope that one of five other ships (best case if the server is full) is doing one specific Tall Tale in a game with an absolute ton of activities to do is such a niche scenario.

It won't happen again. It's a pointless exercise. I imagine they were just doing something there themselves.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Short anecdote but there was a post on the reddit about how this guy used to wish for PvE only servers to do tall tales. Until he had a run in with a hostile crew while having the final quest item on his boat. The adrenaline/tension from trying to evade them and run it back safely was way more fun than the entire quest.

I have a feeling that post would have ended differently if their quest item was stolen and they found themselves needing to redo the whole thing.

But as I said earlier, it's a matter of perspective. You find these things to be the pull of the game. Other people will not. If the devs ultimately feel that the experience of those folks should be sacrificed at the altar of their design, then so be it.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling that post would have ended differently if their quest item was stolen and they found themselves needing to redo the whole thing.

But as I said earlier, it's a matter of perspective. You find these things to be the pull of the game. Other people will not. If the devs ultimately feel that the experience of those folks should be sacrificed at the altar of their design, then so be it.
Lol someone asked him that and he responded with something like "oh I would have definitely been super mad and wanted to complain, but thats the risk you gotta take"

The lowest lows come with the highest highs

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i still think it would be nice if you had the option to "migrate servers" and keep your world possessions under certain conditions (spawn camping, after getting your ship sunk, etc)

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Except, Sea of Thieves is a shared world adventure game. There are up to 6 crews per server doing different things, with different intentions and goals, and despite advice given here in this thread you do not seem willing to alter your approach based on the situation. From what you've said, if the game says you need to go to an island, you sail there regardless of whether another crew is there or not yet are surprised if you are met with aggression. They don't know you, don't know what quest you're on and for all they know you might be looking to take them out.

You believe a crew was camping Olivia specifically, which I could 90% guarantee wasn't the case (why would anyone camp ONE of the NINE tall tale quest givers when there are only 6 crews per server and Tall Tales take 1-2 hours to complete?). But again, you chose to sail to the outpost. Not all your decisions in Sea of Thieves will work out in your favor.

To enjoy Sea of Thieves, you have to be willing to adapt/alter your strategy to the conditions around you, and you have to be ready to lose. If a crew is at an island you want to be at and you don't want to fight you have a few choices — wait, and do something else for a little while (fishing, cooking, finding washed-up treasure on nearby islands, looting shipwrecks, supplying up, doing any bottle quests you might have), sail up and communicate that you mean the crew no harm (50/50 chance whether they'll accept that), or...attempt to sink them.

That is the design of the game - a shared world adventure. If you are not willing to wait until an outpost or island is freed up, then you've accepted the risk of your actions and if you are sunk... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Except, Sea of Thieves is a shared world adventure game. There are up to 6 crews per server doing different things, with different intentions and goals, and despite advice given here in this thread you do not seem willing to alter your approach based on the situation. From what you've said, if the game says you need to go to an island, you sail there regardless of whether another crew is there or not yet are surprised if you are met with aggression. They don't know you, don't know what quest you're on and for all they know you might be looking to take them out.

You believe a crew was camping Olivia specifically, which I could 90% guarantee wasn't the case (why would anyone camp ONE of the NINE tall tale quest givers when there are only 6 crews per server and Tall Tales take 1-2 hours to complete?). But again, you chose to sail to the outpost. Not all your decisions in Sea of Thieves will work out in your favor.

To enjoy Sea of Thieves, you have to be willing to adapt/alter your strategy to the conditions around you, and you have to be ready to lose. If a crew is at an island you want to be at and you don't want to fight you have a few choices — wait, and do something else for a little while (fishing, cooking, finding washed-up treasure on nearby islands, looting shipwrecks, supplying up, doing any bottle quests you might have), sail up and communicate that you mean the crew no harm (50/50 chance whether they'll accept that), or attempt to sink them.

That is the design of the game - a shared world adventure. If you are not willing to wait until an outpost or island is freed up, then you've accepted the risk of your actions and if you are sunk... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know where you're getting that I haven't altered my tactics. I've taken advice from other people, you included.

And you can claim someone wasn't camping Olivia if you want. How better to dispute someone's approach than to claim their experience didn't happen the way they said it did?

I had a feeling eventually we'd get to, "You're playing it wrong". I'd like to believe a shared world experience could be many things, but alas, that isn't what it happening here. And as you claim, it's impossible to have it any other way. Well, as I said, so be it. I hope the devs someday decide you're wrong.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I had more free time to play the new content. Even just fishing and cooking has been really fun for me, but I've had the worst mix of no energy and not a ton of free time.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I don't know where you're getting that I haven't altered my tactics. I've taken advice from other people, you included.

And you can claim someone wasn't camping Olivia if you want. How better to dispute someone's approach than to claim their experience didn't happen the way they said it did?

I had a feeling eventually we'd get to, "You're playing it wrong". I'd like to believe a shared world experience could be many things, but alas, that isn't what it happening here. And as you claim, it's impossible to have it any other way. Well, as I said, so be it. I hope the devs someday decide you're wrong.

You're right I don't know the situation exactly (unless you streamed it, in which case give me the VOD and I'll watch), but i find it highly unlikely they were camping Olivia. Sure they were on Plunder Outpost. There are many things a crew could be doing there. Cashing in, stocking up, waiting for friends, changing their ship livery, using the gold they just got to buy things, buying voyages, having a drink in the pub post-voyage, fishing/cooking, waiting for supply barrels to respawn. It is an outpost, and outposts are active areas.

I am not saying you're playing it wrong. Play it any way that you'd like! But know that the 5 other crews are also playing it the way THEY like and the two may not be compatible, and approaching an occupied outpost or island is a risky action. When you decide to do that you also accept the chance you will be met with cannon fire, swords, or bullets instead of friendship. Communication, caution and adapting your expectations to what's going on around you is important in this game because there is no safe zone. I have great stories of allying with crews, and I have painful stories of losing a lot of gold or time to crews that sunk our ship. Both things - the highs and lows - make for good stories.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fwiw, easy way to turn in a quest item when someone is at the outpost is to have your ship swing by but jump off. Swim to the other side of the island. Sneak up the back.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Something I used to do when i ran athenas was make sure someone spotchecked before we brought the chest over. If we were really unsure we'd fire off and circle around until the fired off pirate reported back, but usually having someone run off to the tavern as soon as we docked sufficed. Even if there isnt a boat around, you never know if someone is waiting in the wings (especially in big alliances not communicating with each other who can track your moves), so even though we only caught someone waiting for us three times out of dozens it was worth it.

Might be something you could adapt for tall tales. Leave the treasure behind on the boat guarded and have someone double check the turnin npc. Its not too much extra work and it saves you having to do it all again if you turn up somebody. I dont know the situation but if boat WAS there id just hang around a closeby island and keep an eye on them until they left. Not worth the risk for something like that imo

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Splitting servers by PvE/PvP might give you the sanctuary you crave... but it'd likely turn PvP servers into 'more-often-PvP-than-not' servers. Rare'd take something from some to give to others, basically.

There's a delicate design here that is entirely dependent on the flexibiltiy and unknowability of interactions. It is what it is, and I for one love it for that.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
I think Tall Tales drastically changed the equation. I'm a 2K+ hour player who sinks everything he sees, and even I feel queasy with how Tall Tales fits into the shared world pirate experience. It doesn't feel satisfying to steal an item I can't sell, it doesn't feel satisfying to rob people of progress. But attacking is what the game I've been playing for the past year conditioned me to do, and I have 0 incentive to do anything else. Arena simply isn't a substitute for the elements that made Adventure mode PvP exciting. But stripping out the playerbase to a safe place server ruins it too

Tall Tales just doesn't fit. Rare didn't design Tall Tales with any PvP element. Nothing about an elevated risk makes Tall Tales more satisfying. It's a narrative driven storyline. There is no satisfaction about "jumping off to the outpost and sneaking around back to sell it" when the item you're selling includes a 2 minute cut-scene that you want the whole crew to enjoy. There is no satisfaction leaving a crew member to guard the boat and miss out on storyline and puzzle solving. At best you might find a thrill of a chase at the end, but you're not going to find any thrill in finding a sunken boat after you spent 5 minutes inside a required vault

Pac is right; the beauty of SoT is the dynamic of 6 crews roaming the seas with different goals and playstyles. Every other voyage type is simply a push to get you out into the world to have an organic experience. But Tall Tales feels crammed into that world and creates a dynamic incompatible with the playstyles they cultured. Which puts them in a weird place, because Tall Tales is a great experience (except for the ending). Dunno the solution, and neither does Rare

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think and hope that Rare adds the option to return to the tall tale quest giver to retrieve quest items you collected but lost - because as you say OmarTheHippo they are otherwise useless to a sinking crew. It stings worse than lost gold when you have to do a tall tale over.

I imagine it will be worse when the merchant or bilge quests come back that send crews to a specific island that will of course also be possible Tall Tale locations.

Tall Tales are great additions to the game but I couldn't imagine trying to play them straight through as "the game." They are extra narrative missions you can go on; yet I do think some consider it a single-player narrative and that doesn't match well with the shared world.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Tall Tales just doesn't fit. Rare didn't design Tall Tales with any PvP element. Nothing about an elevated risk makes Tall Tales more satisfying. It's a narrative driven storyline. There is no satisfaction about "jumping off to the outpost and sneaking around back to sell it" when the item you're selling includes a 2 minute cut-scene that you want the whole crew to enjoy. There is no satisfaction leaving a crew member to guard the boat and miss out on storyline and puzzle solving. At best you might find a thrill of a chase at the end, but you're not going to find any thrill in finding a sunken boat after you spent 5 minutes inside a required vault.

Completely agree with everything you've said here. We've resigned ourselves to the notion that if we're all going to enjoy the Tall Tales, we should accept the possibility that when we come off the island, the boat may well have been sunk and someone is going to end up piloting a ship by themselves back to the island so we can continue.

I think and hope that Rare adds the option to return to the tall tale quest giver to retrieve quest items you collected but lost - because as you say OmarTheHippo they are otherwise useless to a sinking crew. It stings worse than lost gold when you have to do a tall tale over.

This would be a great solution. I'd happily say, "The money is up for grabs, beware" if I knew quest progress couldn't be stolen from you.

Tall Tales are great additions to the game but I couldn't imagine trying to play them straight through as "the game." They are extra narrative missions you can go on; yet I do think some consider it a single-player narrative and that doesn't match well with the shared world.

Ultimately, this addition is exactly what brought us to the game; a pirate adventure we could take on together. If it remained simply emergent/radiant quests and PvP, we wouldn't have picked it up. And I think this all gets around to my criticism of it; the new audience that something like Tall Tales brings in likely isn't going to be the same audience that has been sticking with the game. I think it would be great it all parties involved could be happy, but Tall Tales feels like it's ripe for frustration as it currently functions. I just wish it wasn't.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also agree Tall Tales should have checkpoints. So if you found the... lets say Scarab Totem, and were sank or hell even if you misplaced it or something, you should go into the Tall Tale Options or something and choose to "reset it" meaning you;d have to go back to the place you originally found the totem to grab it again, isntead of doing the whole thing again.

But that's likely easier said than done.

I think Tall Tales work wonderfully in the shared world. The tension of having quest items on board while having other ships in the area is amazing. This is coming from someone who has lost quest items to players too.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
It sounds like what you're really saying is that you want aggressive players to get so annoyed by AI threats that they eventually just leave instead of taking on other players. Is the reason players are aggro towards other crews in Adventure JUST because they crave PVP? If that was the case they'd just play Arena. The thrill of PVP combat in Adventure is the mystery of what the other crew is going to do/how they will react/what treasure they may or may not have. They don't just want any old thing to shoot at.

But honestly, how would the game accurately judge whether the actions of some players are over the line. Just sinks alone? Repeated sinks? Let's say a player in a sloop repeatedly rolls up on a crew and fires on them or spams text chat and that crew kills/sinks the guy multiple times but he keeps coming back for whatever reason. (This has happened to me, btw, with a guy who claimed he 'just wanted to give us his cursed balls' and sailed up to us 3x times) Is that crew now labeled as the griefer cuz they sank the same person 3 times? Let's say putting a bounty on a crew is a user-initiated action - the guy who got sunk 3x can now label the crew that did it as griefers even if they weren't the initiator?

What you'd really be doing is encouraging a war of attrition where you can be labeled as the bad guy by a crew who got repeatedly sunk, or passive/reverse griefing where the end goal is making things more difficult for another crew instead of settling things with cannons.

What makes SoT special is that you cannot anticipate exactly what another crew is going to do (unless of course they are black hull, black sails and jolly roger or reaper's mark) or their skill when they roll up to you. You absolutely have to be watching out for other crews and expect treachery. I recently had a crew roll up to us and claim friendly, want an alliance and then shot at us, claiming they were "just kidding." Because they were streaming on mixer I later watched their VOD and their whole plan as they were heading towards us was to pretend to be friendly and sink us. The guy came back once more afterward and we sank him again. If the game had the bounty system you proposed the game could determine US as aggressive players (the guy was a horrible cannoneer and the new damage system allowed me to anchor/sink them fairly easily).

First of all, no I have no intention of discouraging PVP, and this system isn't about that (but yes, this was the tenor of many posts). First and foremost, if you're engaging in PVP with crews at your level, you may never even notice this system. If you regularly die by other players, your bounty/aggressiveness will never appreciably go up, even if you're being aggressive. However, if you're aggressive towards one crew over and over and successfully getting away with it, I think it's fair to ramp that up to make it physically more difficult to do. In no way do I want normal PVP to be less fun or rewarding, or to take away that feeling of never knowing what the other party will do. In fact, I would suggest that for many crews, this system actually encourages light PVP by rewarding you with a more intense and full world with all the associated benefits of that. Sure, some players want to avoid PVE altogether and would hate this system that would "annoy" them with PVE. I don't know why would elevate their preferences over the people who want to avoid PVP altogether. I think this system forces a natural balance where you HAVE to take breaks if you're too aggressive. (There's actually also the opposite problem of people farming the system - which, I'm actually ok with - it's expanding the sandbox and encouraging both PVP and PVE).

How do you measure? How do you measure in Arena? We know where every cannonball comes from. We can track every strike and shot. We know when you steal another player's treasure, we know when you just drop it off the back in transit. If you want to hang out on an enemy ship and threaten them with your presence alone, I am 100% for that and the system would never spike. If you want to wait until they finally trust you and leave the ship to steal 3 moderately valuable chests, I am 100% for that. The system would barely notice this. What if you stole, say an Athena's or 30 chests? Well, then, the Sea of Thieves would get interested in you, wouldn't it? Maybe you'll get surprised by a skelly ship - NOT to actively prevent the turn in, just to make the journey back a little bit more exciting. I'm 100% ok with this, and I would never want to discourage this.

Unless.. you were to gank more crews straight after this. If you and your crew manage to do it again successfully and without dying more than once or twice, I'm not mad at you. But I do want to challenge you more. Not sink you. Not ban you. Not shame you. That's even true if you maliciously go back and sink the other ship repeatedly. I want to use the tools of the world and sandbox to force you to consider how you're playing and adjust meaningfully on the fly. Maybe you learn to take more breaks in between where you work off your bounty, so to speak. Maybe you learn to incite PVP and learn to avoid the same crews just enough to get the additional spawns you want without being overwhelmed.

In theory, this is all a pirate game whatever blah blah, but in practice, it's super frustrating because the troll crew risks nearly nothing. They have no treasure to lose. They have all the resources to win a fight after a respawn. Maybe they're exactly the crew that is bored with the random nature of the PVE simulation. That doesn't feel fun. I won't pretend this is a perfect system, but I do think it's time to implement ideas that work within the sandbox that Rare has created to guide gameplay that is fun for everyone. I agree, not knowing the intentions and actions of other players is fun. Griefing is the opposite of that, isn't it? I know EXACTLY what that ship is doing every time they pop up on the horizon, and we all know it makes a lot of players shut off their game and leave. We don't want that.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished tall tale 8 while in a tense stand-off with another crew.

We saw them rolling up on us as we were fighting the final boss. I asked for alliance. No answer. Our cannons are primed. They seem to be lining there's up. Someone swims over. I don't like it. we kill the boarder and all hell breaks loose. Unfortunately we were critically low on cannonballs from fighting the boss so we turned tail to run to the seapost to sell gems and fish.

To our disappointment they actually stayed on the island. We were worried they'd kill the boss and steal our quest gem. So we hurried back, unloaded on them with the last of our cannons and then saw if we could lure them away. To our surprise when we got close they alliances with and I saw them waving.

If they had voice chat I might have been able to reason with them but instead we circled back to the other side of crooked masts to be safe. The boss was there too and they were fighting it. Not sure if they wanted to kill it and steal the gem or help us.... but then, with 3 of them near the final boss it goes down. I see the red gem. And I quickly harpoon it onto our ship, drop sails and RUN.

I see one of them try and snipe me and the other tried to sword lunge but we are too far gone now.

THAT WAS CLOSE

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I love that the most valuable asset to steal from someone elses ship is now fish for our crew. Whenever we roll up on a ship and take it over everyone's screaming 'DO THEY HAVE ANY FISH?!' down the mic.

Fuck the chests, get the fish.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love that the most valuable asset to steal from someone elses ship is now fish for our crew. Whenever we roll up on a ship and take it over everyone's screaming 'DO THEY HAVE ANY FISH?!' down the mic.

Fuck the chests, get the fish.
lol when we thought we were goners that first fight I was like "GO FILL UP ON FISH"

I have been in a crew where we rolled up on a poor sloop and he was in gamechat saying he didn't have anything and he was just fishing.

Oh my poor, naive boy. Thanks for the fish I guess.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I have been in a crew where we rolled up on a poor sloop and he was in gamechat saying he didn't have anything and he was just fishing.

tenor.gif

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious as to what kind of content we'll get added to the game next. What else do people want? Now that fishing is finally in there...

I really want Brig and Sloop matches in the Arena. And ranked. Even when I can get a solid team of four friends together I feel like half of the teams in the game are open crew/hopeless and that makes the quality of matches worse.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious as to what kind of content we'll get added to the game next. What else do people want? Now that fishing is finally in there...

I really want Brig and Sloop matches in the Arena. And ranked. Even when I can get a solid team of four friends together I feel like half of the teams in the game are open crew/hopeless and that makes the quality of matches worse.

Duo Sloop and Brig gametypes seem like no brainers. I don't think solo sloop would work well. They can also make an OoS variant fairly easily. Someone on the subreddit also mentioned having a limited time arena event where all the chests are replaced by kegs or megakegs making for a really wild time, not to mention interesting scenarios of "do we use this keg to sink the ship or sell it?"

As for Adventure, they've said they want to use Tall Tales as a platform for further adventures. Just wondering how long they take to make...

Beyond that, I think the existing companies could use a quality of life boost. Introduce some more quest variety, more cursed chests, cursed skulls?, skeleton lord bosses, hunters call bounties (something to direct your fishing/hunting)

And very important... the ship captaincy/endgame update. The ship captaincy one was supposed to be the very first update the game got before it got sidelined. Pirate Legends need some added tasks other than grinding Athenas.

Oct 29, 2017
I've basically given up on SoT, at one point in time it was a unique offering on the videogame market, but now it feels like it was focus tested to death by the worst parts of the videogame community.

During the alpha I had a dedicated core group of players that would all play together during the weekend sessions. A few of us even got easter eggs in the game. Over the course of the year SoT post-launch devolved into something that none of us wanted this game to be. The core of the community is made up of people who either want to rage about how good they think they are at PvP, or spend endless hours grinding PvE like it's a full time job.

I miss the days when this game felt complex yet accessible. Like when I ran into a mom who bought the game to play her son, and I helped her beat a skull fort for the first time. I miss encountering outposts with multiple ships and diverse groups of crews male/female/different countries were all just hanging out drinking grog and coming up with grog Olympics events.

In my view it feels like Rare never had a cohesive vision about what they wanted this game to be. Which is why they caved in on the PvP thing and duct-taped a haphazard "PvP" gametype to the core experience. Arena is largely an awful experience that is frustrating to play and dictated largely by luck. There are some rounds where the position in which you spawn relative to other boats and chests totally dictates the match outcome. It's also frustrating because most rounds have 1 or 2 competitive ships, and the rest of the ships are just floating around and creating a random probability that they will target you while you're engaged with the other competitive ship and further add to the frustration. To make matters worse, they really needed to have the "optional crossplay" thing ready for the launch of Arena. I can hold my own against many mouse/keyboard players, but there is simply an advantage that even the best controller players cannot overcome when playing the best mouse and keyboard players.

Ultimately SoT is just incredibly disappointing. I probably played this game more than any game since Halo CE, which is a testament to how special this IP is. But the direction that this game has gone post launch has completely lost me and my core group of people that I played with. The game is just not fun anymore. It feels like a chore. And stuff like the new Hunter's Call company really emphasize that. Adding fishing may sound like a great idea at first, but when you quickly realize that the most efficient way to progress in that trading company is by island hopping (looking for mermaid gems) and stopping at shipwrecks that contain pre-cooked rare fish the whole trading company loses its luster.

My biggest issue is that at a conceptual level it feels like somewhere along the way instead of introducing more stuff like captaincy, increased customization options, more player events (pvp, or co-operative), they just decided to create game experiences that encouraged engagement (read: addiction) of their most toxic elements of the community.

The game was cool because it was the antithesis of most multiplayer experiences, now it just feels angry, toxic, and time-intensive like all other multiplayer titles.

To make things worse, Rare had a cool approach during the alpha where they were sharing a lot of internal data about how users approached the world of SoT. That philosophy has completely gone by the wayside and has become a more corporate friendly positive re framing of recent updates, and vague promises of features to-be included in future updates. On first glance it may appear like Rare is still being transparent, but there is a significant difference between the way that they engaged with the community pre and post launch.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
During the alpha I had a dedicated core group of players that would all play together during the weekend sessions. A few of us even got easter eggs in the game. Over the course of the year SoT post-launch devolved into something that none of us wanted this game to be. The core of the community is made up of people who either want to rage about how good they think they are at PvP, or spend endless hours grinding PvE like it's a full time job.

I've been playing since the Alpha and what you are describing is not a symptom of their post launch support, its a symptom of finally releasing the game.

Alpha and Beta sessions were a hoot because you weren't concerned with gathering gold. You weren't concerned with decking out your ship or racing to Pirate Legend or Athena 10. You knew this character and their progress would be continually wiped. Because of this sessions were actually built around creating fun and having a carefree time.

Once it launched LFG was just full of "FORT HOPPING ONLY, BE GOOD, BE EFFICIENT" "OOS GRIND" "GH GRIND" "MA GRIND"

I remember joining a fort hopping party (before you could launch into a galleon instance by yourself, making it much easier) and we kept trying for like 30 minutes to get a fort. I asked if we could just sail and do voyages and wait for a fort and I got shot down. Quit the lobby right after.

I do agree that the game did not do a good job in addressing grind. The initial climb to PL and then Athena 10 is stupid. And with tall tales the do this 5 times is brutal. At least have some variety like do this 5 times but each time do this instead.

With hungering deep they did run into the issue of no one being able to do the content after a few days because there was no need to replay it. But I think they tipped the replayability too far.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
...I still run into people playing as pirates and doing really silly shit, not all as leet PvP sweats or PvE grinders. Fuck that grind, but don't be surprised people are gonna hop on it - as Tawp says, there's a difference between pre- and post-launch, and people are going to grind a thing if it's there. It's banal as fuck, but they'll do it. Rare were naive to expect otherwise, as their post-launch comments of being surprised at people grinding to PL asap suggested. Tall Tales completely goes against all that, too, in a very good way (other than adding in replay 5 times, but that's a concession that enables newer players to benefit, imo). Every single update before Anniversary introduced more customisation (mostly extra skins, sure, but also enabling customisation of more of the ship) and new event types/new environmental 'stuff', to boot.

It still feels as a breath of fresh air to me compared to 100% of other MP games. It's still about the journey, not the destination, and I don't feel the anger (if anything, the anger seems to come from people who want it to be utterly different, i.e. remove the PvP entirely etc).

Then again, I only play with like-minded people and I don't read the forums/Reddit. But that's always been the best way to play it/anything...

Jun 26, 2018
Made a post in the old OT, didn't realise there was a new one... I've tried getting into the game today, but I've been having a hard time, doesn't seem like anyone's using voice chat or my mic's not working. Also really confused about what to do in the game.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Weren't we supposed to get something teased for SoT at E3?

No. Joe said during the dev update in the last two weeks that they are at E3 promoting the Anniversary update and doing the Mixer Invitational, but there won't be anything new revealed or announced at the show. There IS a new cosmetic that will be in the MixPot this week (during the inside Xbox today?), but that's all.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Made a post in the old OT, didn't realise there was a new one... I've tried getting into the game today, but I've been having a hard time, doesn't seem like anyone's using voice chat or my mic's not working. Also really confused about what to do in the game.

If you want to be sure yours is working you can turn on your player chat indicator in settings. A voice chat icon will appear in the top right corner of the screen when you speak if it is working.

The main game loop in the Adventure mode is going out on quests given by the 3 trading factions on any outpost (starting island) and returning what they seek to them: Gold Hoarders (digging up chests, solving riddles or x marks the spot maps), Order of Souls (killing skeleton captains and getting their skulls), and Merchant (retrieving animals or delivering cargo). Aside from that you can start the first chapter of the Tall Tales narrative in the back of any outpost by the Mysterious Stranger. ("The Shroudbreaker"). Or just sail around finding treasure on beaches to cash in at outposts, maybe kill a Megalodon, Kraken, or Skeleton Ship. Keep in mind that as you're in the world there can be up to 5 other player-controlled ships in the world also doing their thing which may or may not intersect with you or become PVP.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
What are the future updates for the game? Any news on Year 2 content?

They are of course working on Year 2 content. No real specifics beyond some bullet points:

- Pets! (These were delayed out of the Anniversary Update because they were not up to Rare's quality standards.)
- A pirate emporium (to sell pets, and perhaps other cosmetic items)
- Updates to the Arena mode (no specifics)
- More (?) Tall Tales (only because they mentioned that the work done adding the current tall tales means they can add more later, but no specifics have been detailed)

I imagine we'll see more little UX improvements made as well.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The past few times I've played Sea of Thieves have been pretty toxic experiences.
I logged into a sloop just to mess around and check out the new things. I'm looking around the outpost, and I hear cannonfire. I go outside and see a galleon lighting up my sloop.

I go on the dock and start to play music, and I get sniped. Community interaction just ain't want it used to be. Of course, my experience has been fairly limited in the last 2 months so it might be anecdotal, but still, feels sad.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The past few times I've played Sea of Thieves have been pretty toxic experiences.
I logged into a sloop just to mess around and check out the new things. I'm looking around the outpost, and I hear cannonfire. I go outside and see a galleon lighting up my sloop.

I go on the dock and start to play music, and I get sniped. Community interaction just ain't want it used to be. Of course, my experience has been fairly limited in the last 2 months so it might be anecdotal, but still, feels sad.

What about it was toxic? A ship sinking you at an outpost you just logged into doesn't strike me as bad - nothing lost on your end. Not every interaction in the game is going to be a friendly one. That's always been true in SoT.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

That interaction isn't toxic. They likely were needing to turn in, and played it safe by clearing out the outpost first. Sadly you were in the way.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about it was toxic? A ship sinking you at an outpost you just logged into doesn't strike me as bad - nothing lost on your end. Not every interaction in the game is going to be a friendly one. That's always been true in SoT.
That interaction isn't toxic. They likely were needing to turn in, and played it safe by clearing out the outpost first. Sadly you were in the way.

I guess I just play the game different than you!
I almost never shoot first, especially if I am a galleon and there's a sloop docked. I'll be prepared, but I won't shoot on sight. Especially if there is one pirate just playing music.