• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Twice recently we've attacked and sunk another ship on the seas, realised they were doing Tall Tales (from the items on the ship) and saved their items for them and left them on the beach where they were so they can get them back. Entered game chat to let them know where we've left them and to apologise but both times they'd already rage quit.

Damn.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Twice recently we've attacked and sunk another ship on the seas, realised they were doing Tall Tales (from the items on the ship) and saved their items for them and left them on the beach where they were so they can get them back. Entered game chat to let them know where we've left them and to apologise but both times they'd already rage quit.

Damn.
Unless they had 0 bearings on where they were, it was stupid of them not to go at least check if that stuff was there.

I saw a growing movement in the subreddit to leave quest items behind when you sink a ship.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Unless they had 0 bearings on where they were, it was stupid of them not to go at least check if that stuff was there.

I saw a growing movement in the subreddit to leave quest items behind when you sink a ship.

I would never, ever steal them or anything. Utterly useless to me and utterly crushing for them. We always save them and put them somewhere safe. But not much goof if the other crew rage quits instantly.

Even better - if you've got some mission critical items on the ship - take them onto the island and hide them if you need to leave the ship.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I guess I just play the game different than you!
I almost never shoot first, especially if I am a galleon and there's a sloop docked. I'll be prepared, but I won't shoot on sight. Especially if there is one pirate just playing music.

I (generally) do the same, but I can't fault a crew for firing on another ship at an outpost. That doesn't fall into toxic player behavior for me.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I, a solo sloop, once anchored next to a parked brig and let them know I wanted to give away my resources.

Was shot at, killed, sank.

ok

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Spartan set looks great in game
tumblr_inline_psy4q6YZ9e1qe7k26_1280.png

I love that the hull is nondescript enough to use for mix n matching
I, a solo sloop, once anchored next to a parked brig and let them know I wanted to give away my resources.

ok
I used to attempt this back when the game came out and gave up because that would be the exact experience every time.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
So how does this spartan thing work? Is it enough to just log in and I get it? It's midnight here and I'm going on vacation in less than 12 hours and will be gone for a week. Now I'm stressed.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So how does this spartan thing work? Is it enough to just log in and I get it? It's midnight here and I'm going on vacation in less than 12 hours and will be gone for a week. Now I'm stressed.
Played for a bit last night immediately after it was on iniside xbox (as in 'the second the trailer finished i was inviting friends into a party chat' immediate), hopped on this morning to check and i had it in my inventory

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Yep just jump in and check your ships it should be there. I didnt even get a notification.
Played for a bit last night immediately after it was on iniside xbox (as in 'the second the trailer finished i was inviting friends into a party chat' immediate), hopped on this morning to check and i had it in my inventory

Hopped on for a 30 minute session last night but can't see it in my inventory yet. Hopefully I've played enough for it to be in my inventory when I get home from vacation.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017

ok
This reminds me a lot of people who get bit by strange dogs. "I just wanted to pet it, I was being friendly"

9 times out of 10, the items I have on board my ship are more valuable to me than 400 cannon balls. I'd take a trophy fish over an infinite amount of supplies, and it only takes a "friendly" person a millisecond with my food barrel to steal it

Intention means nothing. Play the odds, sink everyone (just make sure you check their food barrels first)

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
So after playing tonight for the first time and reading some of the stuff on here. I should just try and have my fun because everyone else is an asshole? That kind of sucks.

I had some sloop follow my friends and I for about 40 minutes last night. They weren't good at fighting but we weren't good enough at ship fights to sink them before they'd flee and chase us back around. At the end of their 40 minute time waste, they crashed into an isle and sunk their own ship while trying to ram ours.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Some snippets from the Matt Booty interview about SoT:
Sea of Thieves has done an amazing job of showing people how Game Pass can be a place to explore and find a new game. That game is built to be social at its core. We may have now said, "Okay, we have an established base inside Game Pass with this. Maybe it's time for Sea of Thieves to go to Steam." Players there who haven't encountered it yet, because they're not engaged with our storefront — if we put it on Steam they'll have more people to play with. These are things we're always thinking about with our franchises. What's right for Sea of Thieves is probably different from what's right for Forza.

True. Right now I feel like we're fortunate to have some of those big franchises in Halo, Forza, and Minecraft. To some extent it's what we're trying to build with Sea of Thieves.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Some snippets from the Matt Booty interview about SoT:
Great to hear Sea of Thieves and Steam being mentioned in such a way by Microsoft! I hope Microsoft provides cross-buy or a transfer program from Microsoft Store to Steam on such a young GaaS title like SoT for fans that would like to make the switch, if the game comes to Steam.

Here's the source on the snippets and discussion thread in case anyone's curious~

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So after playing tonight for the first time and reading some of the stuff on here. I should just try and have my fun because everyone else is an asshole? That kind of sucks.

Not everyone is an asshole. it's just determining who is friendly or not requires a different approach each encounter. Also how you interact with ships can change a friendly ship to an enemy very quickly.

You will get those ships that are instant assholes, or like my sailing adventure 2 nights ago, we get a 4 boat alliance going and fish at an active fort. Everyone minded their own business and everyone was rewarded for it. Just got to interact or see what actions the other crews are doing to determine if you can trust them or not.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda debating giving this another swing since it first released. What's changed? I did enjoy the core of the game but I immediately ran out of things to do and cycling the same missions for absolutely no gain didn't sit well with me. Is there more of a gameplay loop now?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Kinda debating giving this another swing since it first released. What's changed? I did enjoy the core of the game but I immediately ran out of things to do and cycling the same missions for absolutely no gain didn't sit well with me. Is there more of a gameplay loop now?

They've added a 10+ hours campaign to the game, a PvP Arena mode and a lot more content when just playing the game the classic way. Things like more raids, more enemies, more items, fishing, harpoons, rowboats, volcano's, etc.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They've added a 10+ hours campaign to the game, a PvP Arena mode and a lot more content when just playing the game the classic way. Things like more raids, more enemies, more items, fishing, harpoons, rowboats, volcano's, etc.
Oh awesome! Gonna take a look at it later on I think. Getting the itch for some pirate action

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Not everyone is an asshole. it's just determining who is friendly or not requires a different approach each encounter. Also how you interact with ships can change a friendly ship to an enemy very quickly.

You will get those ships that are instant assholes, or like my sailing adventure 2 nights ago, we get a 4 boat alliance going and fish at an active fort. Everyone minded their own business and everyone was rewarded for it. Just got to interact or see what actions the other crews are doing to determine if you can trust them or not.
Maybe it was just an unlikely night. The first ship had someone come and suicide kill me and while on the ghost ship, just laughing going how he killed me hahah.... Which I know those types of people will be in any game. Second ship was weird. Ran out of cannonballs, any time they boarded, we killed them but just kept chasing us until they sunk their ship....sunk cost fallacy I guess.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I don't know if the community will ever make me feel better about them but now, I've played this game about 14 hours in the last two days. This is some of the most fun I've had doing basically collections quests with my friends. We've sunk a few ships without firing first. might've looked a little too intimidating before. Sailing with my bros is a good time.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing this with friends. It's fun. Do we need to all be on the same Tall Tale to run them together? A friend of mine just joined after us, and Briggsy took us ~an hour of shooting guns at her, so we're not particularly interested in catching him up if we don't have to.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing this with friends. It's fun. Do we need to all be on the same Tall Tale to run them together? A friend of mine just joined after us, and Briggsy took us ~an hour of shooting guns at her, so we're not particularly interested in catching him up if we don't have to.

No, you're fine to invite friends in to do ones they haven't unlocked yet. I've done tons of later Tall Tales with a friend who hasn't done the first one yet.

One the topic of Brigsey and her stupid long health bar, the bosses seem to have crazy difficulty (or just amount of health) scaling depending on the crew size. A sloop (so one or two pirates) can take her down in a few minutes. I found, with a full Brig team of three pirate Legends, it took about ten times as long. It was exhausting. The last boss is the same. Dunno if they'll ever change it.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Oh! I totally forgot about that Spartan stuff.

Logged in a few days ago after I saw how to get it and just farted around a while. Luckily, I didn't run into anyone so I was able to turn in a chest without issues.

I should see if the Sea of Thieves community thread still has people popping in it (edit: oh duh... forgot what thread this was). I have fun playing with myself (lewd) but I had the most fun in this game playing with Era of Thieves fellows.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Oh! I totally forgot about that Spartan stuff.

Logged in a few days ago after I saw how to get it and just farted around a while. Luckily, I didn't run into anyone so I was able to turn in a chest without issues.

I should see if the Sea of Thieves community thread still has people popping in it. I have fun playing with myself (lewd) but I had the most fun in this game playing with Era of Thieves fellows.

I'm very pro starting an Era Xbox Club for Sea of Thieves. If one doesn't already exist?

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Dang it I finally finished downloading the game to play today to get the Halo set because I thought it ended tonight at midnight but it turns out it already ended last night.

Shoot.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I've played this the last two nights, both of the times in sort of ideal circumstances I think: cruising around with friends, doing Tall Tales, checking stuff out, experimenting with the game, and I know this is sort of a tired opinion, but holy moly I can't believe that a game with this many good parts is as boring as this is

I'm a total sucker for co-op games, I absolutely love the idea of piloting a big vehicle with my friends and wandering around, but this game feels like someone took its heart out

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Starting playing again with some friends for the first time since the beta. What a joy of a game! I love the Tall Tales feature so far, and how you have to figure out the clues to move forward with the story.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I've played this the last two nights, both of the times in sort of ideal circumstances I think: cruising around with friends, doing Tall Tales, checking stuff out, experimenting with the game, and I know this is sort of a tired opinion, but holy moly I can't believe that a game with this many good parts is as boring as this is

I'm a total sucker for co-op games, I absolutely love the idea of piloting a big vehicle with my friends and wandering around, but this game feels like someone took its heart out

Yeah, it's not for everyone.

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
I think I'm the worst pirate ever.

This morning I was heading to Sanctuary Outpost, to cash in a couple of pigs and chickens from a Repaers Mark merchant voyage. It was mostly an easy trip, I had to fight a kraken, but we all know it's easy to defeat even with a solo sloop.

So I'm near the outpost when I see another sloop harbored there. So I did what most pirates... don't. Circle around the island, both writing and saying that I don't want to fight but I will if I have to.

There was no movement but the stuff on my ship was far more valuable, to guess what the other player(s) do. So I sailed to behind the other ship and shot it a few times (cursed cannonball commendations, yay!). Because it was hit from the back it didn't start to sink, the damage was mostly mechanical and after about a dozen hits with still no movement I decided to take my chances and sailed into the harbor, close to the merchant.

There I saw the other player, he didn't move and was clearly AFK. I quickly ran back and forth, cashing in the pigs and chickens and while I was running with the last one he started moving! I was thinking that when he sees the damaged ship, me jumping in front of him and my sloop with the reapers flag there's going to be a fight but he just said hello and that he didn't hear me. So I cashed in the last chicken, greeted him back and said that I'm sorry, but his ship is probably slowly sinking. He said that I shoudn't worry about it, but I felt bad for doing this, so went back to my ship, took some wood and repaired his sloop. Then said goodbye and sailed away.

So yeah, I'm probably the worst pirate ever. :D

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm the worst pirate ever.

This morning I was heading to Sanctuary Outpost, to cash in a couple of pigs and chickens from a Repaers Mark merchant voyage. It was mostly an easy trip, I had to fight a kraken, but we all know it's easy to defeat even with a solo sloop.

So I'm near the outpost when I see another sloop harbored there. So I did what most pirates... don't. Circle around the island, both writing and saying that I don't want to fight but I will if I have to.

There was no movement but the stuff on my ship was far more valuable, to guess what the other player(s) do. So I sailed to behind the other ship and shot it a few times (cursed cannonball commendations, yay!). Because it was hit from the back it didn't start to sink, the damage was mostly mechanical and after about a dozen hits with still no movement I decided to take my chances and sailed into the harbor, close to the merchant.

There I saw the other player, he didn't move and was clearly AFK. I quickly ran back and forth, cashing in the pigs and chickens and while I was running with the last one he started moving! I was thinking that when he sees the damaged ship, me jumping in front of him and my sloop with the reapers flag there's going to be a fight but he just said hello and that he didn't hear me. So I cashed in the last chicken, greeted him back and said that I'm sorry, but his ship is probably slowly sinking. He said that I shoudn't worry about it, but I felt bad for doing this, so went back to my ship, took some wood and repaired his sloop. Then said goodbye and sailed away.

So yeah, I'm probably the worst pirate ever. :D

LOLOL

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
One of our crew is moving to Canada for work indefinitely and we had our last session in the same timezone/ping tonight. Wrapped it up with an arena round where we took the lead in literally the last 5 seconds, was super clutch and a great way to send him off :D

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
7gb update downloading now. No patch notes as of yet.

I don't think it's NDA breaking to say that I don't think there's anything major in this one from the recent Insider sessions? Nothing big that I can remember.

Down till 4pm BST

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sikamikanico

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
7gb update downloading now. No patch notes as of yet.

I don't think it's NDA breaking to say that I don't think there's anything major in this one from the recent Insider sessions? Nothing big that I can remember.

Down till 4pm BST

Indeed. I have to admit, as great as Tall Tales is....I'm back to needing "moar" from them. A roadmap, hint, anything really, would be nice.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So, yep, mostly bug fixes. They've changed something that I thought they might test and adjust a little more before going public tbh... the change to Capstans in ship combat. They will no longer lower the anchor when hit by cannons. Not sure about that. Seen a few people suggesting that it should take three hits like the masts maybe (as a middle ground fix).

Fix for Athena miles during Tall Tales is in (YES!) and you can now buy Sea Dogs and Hunters levels from Duke with Doubloons.

Last edited:

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
So, yep, mostly bug fixes. They've changed something that I thought they might test and adjust a little more before going public tbh... the change to Capstans in ship combat. They will no longer lower the anchor when hit by cannons. Not sure about that. Seen a few people suggesting that it should take three hits like the masts maybe (as a middle ground fix).

Yeah I suggested/begged on their forums that they not remove it entirely. But, looks like they did. I felt like firing at the capstan to anchor an opponent was a great and very effective strategy against another crew especially in Arena. Would've been nice if they reduced the area of effect for splash damage to it or required multiple hits to do it.

So, did they not change the difficulty of some of the Tall Tales battles for brigantines? Great that they're doing bug fixes, but feels like there's still feedback they're not addressing and the Anniversary Update is almost 2 months old now.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
I have to say, i played this for the first time recently just to get that halo skin lol, and i really loved it. Really didnt think this was my type of game but man, once you start, its really fun. And that water, holy moly

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I suggested/begged on their forums that they not remove it entirely. But, looks like they did. I felt like firing at the capstan to anchor an opponent was a great and very effective strategy against another crew especially in Arena. Would've been nice if they reduced the area of effect for splash damage to it or required multiple hits to do it.

I think it's fine that they removed the capstan to anchor upon hit entirely. Makes the Cursed Cannonball -Anchorball- more valuable.