• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Beat Briggsy with my crew last night, which was a huge fucking chore.

We got camped by some pirate legends for about an hour, it was late and we didn't want to lose the progress we'd made on the quest, so it was...trying. None of my crew is very good, we don't get to play very much at all, so spending a few hours getting trolled is just...demoralizing. Especially when you're fighting with the shitty combat and such an AWFUL boss fight. We finally sunk and killed the legends and beat Briggsy, got the skull on the ship and about 1 minute out from the island we got attacked by the kraken and we were totally out or cannonballs/planks, thanks to the constant respawns, ship battles and dealing with the boss. One of my crew managed to make it back to the island by swimming before we sank and the rest of us came back to find...the legends back chasing him around the island. We sunk their ship, harpooned him off a rock and took off. Finally finishing the tale at like 2:30 am.

Never playing again.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Beat Briggsy with my crew last night, which was a huge fucking chore.

We got camped by some pirate legends for about an hour, it was late and we didn't want to lose the progress we'd made on the quest, so it was...trying. None of my crew is very good, we don't get to play very much at all, so spending a few hours getting trolled is just...demoralizing. Especially when you're fighting with the shitty combat and such an AWFUL boss fight. We finally sunk and killed the legends and beat Briggsy, got the skull on the ship and about 1 minute out from the island we got attacked by the kraken and we were totally out or cannonballs/planks, thanks to the constant respawns, ship battles and dealing with the boss. One of my crew managed to make it back to the island by swimming before we sank and the rest of us came back to find...the legends back chasing him around the island. We sunk their ship, harpooned him off a rock and took off. Finally finishing the tale at like 2:30 am.

Never playing again.

Briggsy fight is the only thing that needs fixing that I know of. The scaling they have from sloop to galleon is way too drastic. (haven't done the other boss (or 2?) yet) Having "legends" do that you is rough but rarely happens. Sucks to have it happen so early that it discouraged you further from playing.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Briggsy fight is the only thing that needs fixing that I know of. The scaling they have from sloop to galleon is way too drastic. (haven't done the other boss (or 2?) yet) Having "legends" do that you is rough but rarely happens. Sucks to have it happen so early that it discouraged you further from playing.

Can confirm that the others bosses are the same. They take about 3 minutes with two of you on a sloop. Take about 40 with three of you on a sloop.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Can confirm that the others bosses are the same. They take about 3 minutes with two of you on a sloop. Take about 40 with three of you on a sloop.

I don't know why this hasn't been updated yet. There isn't a need for the health to be that much changed between sloop,brig, and galleon.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I mean, we've played on and off since launch, so we're not total novices, pretty close though lol, and we've had our share of great interactions with other people. We're just a bit older, a bit busier, and we don't get a lot of time to get the whole gang together, so when we play something and it's just a misery for us to make a drop of progress because someone decides to just be a dick? Maybe it's not the game for us to spend our time on, you know? Even though we love it.

It's the way quests work with key items and progress that can be flushed down the toilet. The time it takes to figure shit out, sail around, fight things, find things, sail around more. It took us three or four sessions to finally finish the first quest, because the same thing happened on the island where you get Shroudbreaker. We had that fucking thing on our ship no less than 4 times before losing it. That was our first run-in with whatever that fucking insane sword charge stab that sends a guy across an island is. Still no idea, but I know it was impossible for us to deal with.

It's like, with normal missions and stuff, whatever. I get it. We fought a shark on the way to Briggsy and actually had some fantastic drops on board that we lost, but losing treasure is part of the game. It's not frustrating, because you can go get a bunch more all over and it's about the adventure and the stories with that stuff. Hauling a load of treasure around with the risk of losing it is exhilarating, because at the end of the day we're not really losing anything. A new set of sails or whatever. Who cares? Losing quest progression is just frustrating. I can't have fun with it because at any second someone could come swooping in and destroy an hour of progress and then instead of saying "ok boys, what's the next adventure?" It's more like "ok do you guys just want to quit because we've tried this same thing three times or what?"

We've done two tales so far and both took multiple attempts and as soon as a clearly more experienced player saw that we were doing a quest, they actively tried to fuck with us for as long as possible.

This sounds about right. We ended up stunlocking her with the harpoon and unloading with snipers for about 10 minutes before she died. What a wreck of a fight.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. They absolutely need to introduce a checkpoint system for Tall Tales. Something where if you lose an item, you can vote to have that previous quest step reloaded. This would despawn the previous item wherever it is.

2. Can't believe they haven't addressed the boss scaling. I basically tell everyone that for TT2 (Cursed Rogue) and TT8 (Revenge of Morning Star) to do those missions on Sloops because it goes SO SO SO SO SO SO SO much quicker.

TT9 (Shores of Gold) is a Toss Up. On one hand, you can do the vaults at the same time to cut down on time running around the island solving puzzles. On the other, you spend way more time on the final boss. Honestly, if both of you know how to do the vaults I think sloop is the right way to go.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe they haven't addressed the boss scaling. I basically tell everyone that for TT2 (Cursed Rogue) and TT8 (Revenge of Morning Star) to do those missions on Sloops because it goes SO SO SO SO SO SO SO much quicker.

TT9 (Shores of Gold) is a Toss Up. On one hand, you can do the vaults at the same time to cut down on time running around the island solving puzzles. On the other, you spend way more time on the final boss. Honestly, if both of you know how to do the vaults I think sloop is the right way to go.

Agreed with this. Sloop is the way to go for any Tall Tale with a boss. It's not like the boss mechanics are particularly interesting or difficult to warrant the extra time. It's just a long health bar.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Was just watching the Giant Bomb video of Sea of Thieves they did last month. Man, this game still looks like so much fun and this Tall Tale stuff looks really neat.

So... anyone here want to get an ERA game up and going? I don't really care to play with randos.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was just watching the Giant Bomb video of Sea of Thieves they did last month. Man, this game still looks like so much fun and this Tall Tale stuff looks really neat.

So... anyone here want to get an ERA game up and going? I don't really care to play with randos.
I'm always down to run some tall tales

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
Game any fun playing solo? I know this question has be answered a dozen times sorry aha.

It can be. Mostly depends on how good you are in it (fighting waves of skellies, finding your way with treasure maps, etc), how good you are with long and sometimes boring tasks (like sailing around all alone) and how lucky you are (finding friendly crews, not getting bothered all the time with Megs and Krakens, etc).
I think it takes a certain kind of mindset to enjoy it playing solo but it can be fun. I'm nearing pirate legend status (two more merchant levels!!!) and for the last ~1-1,5 year 85% of the times I was playing solo and still loving it.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
my gf and I just started this via game pass on PC (ty microsoft)

holy fuck this game is amazing

by amazing I also mean absolute dreadful

pardon my verbiage we know very little about the game having done no prior research. below will be tidbits of our adventure and our horrors.

We sail out to do some voyages and collect some booty.

I comment on how beautiful the water in the game is, the waves against the ship.

She agrees. I play the accordion. Life is good.

Suddenly holy fucking shit the sea turns black and Cthulhu himself comes up and fucks our entire existences up.

horrifying

ok we shake the sand from our boots and we're back at it, lets do some voyages and collect some booty.

two islands, two chests, life is good. Hey whats this, a message in a bottle?

Lets do this quest! We need to find some skeletal pirate that haunts an island!

"this is going to be so fun!" I think to myself

Before we leave that island, I find a chicken coop. Can I capture a chicken? Will it lay eggs? Will it be the pet of our ship?

Yes, you can capture chickens I realize! I get a little clucker and I name him Christopher Columbus because he's going to explore the world with us.

Ah, back to it - back to finding the pirate god.

We spend the next 2 hours battling skeletal ghouls from hell. I basically park the boat up on the sand to try and kill the captain with cannons but that didn't seem like it was working (does it?)

Eventually he dies as we zerg him on death runs.

What kind of dope loot are we going to get?

A skull?! what the hell is this good for ??!

Fuck it, lets take it back to the city island and try to trade it for something.

FUCK I GOT TOO CLOSE TO THE ROCKS. OUR BOAT IS SINKING. HOW DO WE STOP IT? OH FUCK I HAVE A BUCKET. GET THE WATER OUT. OH MY GOD THERES HOLES ALL OVER. GET THE WOOD!

The ship is repaired. We head back. Christopher Columbus is safe.

Somehow we navigate to a pirate island of hellfire that happens to be next to the city island. they fire a barrage of cannons that would make Euron's magic missiles quiver with envy.

at the same time a fucking giant black/red shark shows up and slams our ship. I get tossed off. I felt such anxiety being stuck at sea. My lovely partner refuses to turn the ship back for me out of fear. She's left me to die. It's ok, she can take care of Christopher. Do I drown myself? No... this is all too real feeling and scary. Wait who the fuck is that?

A mermaid? Fuck they are really going to fucking come up with three different ways to murder me in the span of a few minutes?

oh, she teleported me back to the ship! Great. An ally!! Thanks mermaid.

Okay, we made it back. This has been exhausting. I don't want to play anymore. Lets dock our boat and log off.

Dock the boat.

Let me say good night to Chris. I head down under and what do I see

A sea. The sea has now entered our ship to nail the final fucking coffin. Horror. I scream. She comes running. She screams

there's no way we can stop this flooding. It's over. Fuck, I look to my left. It's the fucking skull. All of this pain and suffering for this god forsaken skull. I grab the skull and dive off the ship. We swim to shore.

Fuck - how do we get a new ship?

Wait. FUCK. CHRIS! WE LET CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS DIE!!!! WHAT HAVE WE DONE?!?!!? ALL FOR THIS SKULL!

"aye"

"aye"

two other pirates say as they run up to us and wave.

"aye" I respond.

wait! I realize I can ask where I put this fucking skull. Wait where did they go?

I look around confused. My gf says they have a lot of bananas on their ship.

wait what? WHY ARE YOU ON THEIR SHIP?! YOU CAN'T JUST BOARD SOMEONE ELSE'S SHIP WITHOUT BEING INVITED - THAT'S GOT TO BREAK SOME KIND OF LAW OF PIRACY.

I jump up on the ship. I'm tired and lost and confused. I say

Guys, can you help? what the fuck do I do with this skull?

The pirate looks at me.

I don't know why I was surprised

He pulls out a shotgun. Without hesitation he shoots me. He picks up the skull I worked so hard for. I lost so much for that skull.

It's not every day I play a game like this.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It's not every day I play a game like this.
defece1d095557ae850dbbfe5590e186.gif

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
(Long Story that should be read above)

Skulls go to the Order of Souls lady at the outposts (Purple hut)
Chests and trinkets go to Gold Hoarders (should be part of tutorial, the gold tent at outposts)
Animals and Merchant stuff to person on the docks of Outposts. (not the one with the hammer)
Fish and cooked food to the person on the docks at Seaposts.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
How's the game for a (mostly) pacifist PvE player these days?
I like just cruising around on the high seas and occasionally doing missions.

I asked a few months ago when the arena (?) came out and it seemed better from the responses I got, but I was curious if that has held true.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

I asked a few months ago when the arena (?) came out and it seemed better from the responses I got, but I was curious if that has held true.

Hit and miss. I've had sessions that go just fine, but you're ultimately always looking over your shoulder, and your tall tale or casual cruising turns into a stressful chase or your ship ends up sunk. Some will tell you that's part of the fun; I'd still prefer to have a pacifist mode.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Hit and miss. I've had sessions that go just fine, but you're ultimately always looking over your shoulder, and your tall tale or casual cruising turns into a stressful chase or your ship ends up sunk. Some will tell you that's part of the fun; I'd still prefer to have a pacifist mode.

Thanks, I figured that might be the case. If I'm with friends and we're being goofy it's all in good fun to get in a little tiff with an opposing ship, but solo cruising is probably what I would be doing most of the time.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think its better since Arena.

That being said, you are always still at risk. Solo slooping is a dangerous game.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
About 12 hours ago (posted in old OT - was originally '5 minutes ago') I watched my 12 year old daughter come across a large black boat. Black sails. Hopefully someone here.

Its crew were on the island they were anchored next to. She climbed onto their boat and stole a captain chest and bolted for the nearest outpost and turned it in. I take it this is worth a bit as an achievement popped for turning in a stolen captains chest. I found the whole thing very amusing as the poor crew have know idea what hit them. They probably don't even know yet that they were even hit.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Just found out about this 4part series about the AI in Sea of Thieves, its pretty neat

the skeletons use the same behaviors the players do with a virtual pad so to onboard new hires to the AI team their fast task would be to have the skeletons form a mariachi band

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Hmmmmm... Haven't played in a while, I wonder what this is all about.

----> Heading to the insider forums to find out lol

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Theres probably a new run of Sea of Thieves comics coming. Issue 2 of a series called Sea of Thieves Origins apparently quietly released on Amazon for free last month going into the history of one of the Merchant npcs but afaik theres no other information about this online. No PR, no announcement, no issue #1, nothing.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Let me just say my brief time with the new black powder voyages in insiders was a riot
Hnnngggg, been reading the insider forums and they seem like a literal blast!

I've been also watching a lot of Captain Falcore's youtube videos, seems that there is a lot of hints of upcoming tall tales stuff in game already.

Too bad i'm working all over the place this summer so I can't play until early september.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hnnngggg, been reading the insider forums and they seem like a literal blast!

I've been also watching a lot of Captain Falcore's youtube videos, seems that there is a lot of hints of upcoming tall tales stuff in game already.

Too bad i'm working all over the place this summer so I can't play until early september.
Think of all dat fresh content tho.

I'd make sure to grab the voyages if you can at the very least. They may be time limited.

I'm still holding on to my gilded athena. Might form a crew to knock that out this weekend.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Think of all dat fresh content tho.

I'd make sure to grab the voyages if you can at the very least. They may be time limited.

I'm still holding on to my gilded athena. Might form a crew to knock that out this weekend.
The thing is that I'm on tour. Is there any way to download them or "reserve" without actually playing?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the record summit is basically upset it's harder for him to troll people in adventure mode.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Christ the big streamers are an almost uniformly nasty, arrogant and entitled bunch. Imagine thinking that you have immense insight into how to make games purely because you are able to entertain the masses whilst playing them. That said, Summit isn't entirely wrong, he's just not saying anything profound nor is he remotely eloquent. These people seem to have no idea how to communicate without aggression, it's incredibly obnoxious. Summit's not interested in Sea of Thieves being a better game, he's interested in it being a better game for him.

I do think a lot of the post launch support with Sea of Thieves has been a bit confused and meandering. It doesn't feel like they're driving towards an overall vision to me. A lot of features, some big, some small, are being bolted onto the skeletal base game and on the whole those pieces don't synergise. The campaign is the best example of this, because it's comfortably the best PvE content in the game, but it's had a harmful effect on the intercrew experience in almost every way. My personal bone to pick with Sea of Thieves is that too few improvements have been made to core mechanics, with the recent ship damage upgrades a glorious exception to the rule. I've always felt that the reaction to the release product was off base, while content was lacking, there was and still is a lot that is fundamentally awry, with combat mechanics the most obvious example.

Beyond that, I still feel like Sea of Thieves has a major issue when it comes to respecting its users time. Sea of Thieves is like the polar opposite of Bungie/Halo's '30 Seconds of Fun' concept. A lot of the activities are simply busywork backed up by clunky mechanics. Sea of Thieves can be amazing, but it takes a lot of things to coincide to get one of those great sessions, and even then you have to delve past the tedium of inventory and barrel management or hauling items from shore to ship to shore like a sea borne teamster. Sea of Thieves features far too much of the boring parts of being a pirate and far too little of the exciting parts. The parts that are implied but not shown in Pirates of the Carribean are the bread and butter of Sea of Thieves. I know, as most of us do, how good Sea of Thieves can be, but that's the experience a small fraction of the time for me, and it's nowhere near enough.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Agh! Snuck up on a sloop who had just finished doing the fort. Sunk the dude's ship with a gunpowder, got the mermaid aaaaand... I got disconnected. Ugh.

I looked at the Xbox recent players tab and it seems the person quit the game after that, so I can only wonder how surprised the person that will find that misteriously unlooted fort will be. lol

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019

Summit1G tried a bit of SoT again and has already quit, going on a tear on Twitter in replies

I really dislike what these streamers want the game to be. Basically a trolling simulator, I was watching the other day some streamer on twitch and he kept attacking a family (dad+2 kids) playing the game, soured the whole experience for them, and he was just laughing his ass off.

There's situations where this kind of behavior is acceptable, and there's situations where it's just not.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
For the record summit is basically upset it's harder for him to troll people in adventure mode.
Is he? Because when he says this...

... he's pretty spot on. And it has nothing to do with "trolling". Rare added a mode in a pirate game where you can't pirate the treasure people are hunting. The game has a pretty different feel in adventure mode after the Anniversary update, and Arena doesn't fill the void. It's not a streamer dictating what the game should be, it's a streamer complaining that Rare changed a game that had already been out for a year. For the people who spent a year enjoying the gameplay as-is, it's rough when a GaaS irrevocably takes away the experience you paid for

I'm not saying there is a solution; but chalking it up to "trolling" feels disingenuous. The servers now have more people focused on PvE getting sunk by people who don't profit from the hunt. Both sides end up dissatisfied with the experience

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the dangerous feeling in adventure mode changed at all, there still exists organic PVP and quite a lot of it, tbh. I also disagree that the PVE content doesn't synergize with the game's systems, everything in the Tall Tales changes dramatically thanks to stuff like the krakens, megalodons, pirate ships, fog and etc.

I don't really believe the "Sea of Thieves doesn't respect the player's time' stuff (and i find that argument, in general, to be silly af), i mean, it's another kind of design. Comparing it to the "30 seconds of fun" in Halo makes absolutely no sense. I find the more slower parts to be quite relaxing and that they add more to the experience than anything. It's a slower paced game, for sure, and that's not a bad thing, necessarily. That's heavily subjective, though, but these last few criticisms on this thread have been quite weird for me, it's like we have been playing a different game altogether lol

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The problem with summit and SOT is that he claims wishing for an organic experience when actually he is wishing for speficific scenarios within which is already an organic experience. The fact he gets upset for not getting what he wants makes him kind of contadicatory. It's like wanting to win the lotery over and over again when the lotery is supposed to be random instead of predictable

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
The servers now have more people focused on PvE getting sunk by people who don't profit from the hunt. Both sides end up dissatisfied with the experience
As much as I like the Tall Tales, this is indeed an issue. Before TT, there were basically two outcomes of an unfriendly encounter with other players: Either the losing crew had treasure or they didn't - but in any case, the treasure had pretty much the same value for both crews. There was a symmetry in the sense that the more treasure you had, the higher the risks for you, and the higher the potential gains for an attacker.

With TT, this situation becomes asymmetrical when a crew is carrying a quest item - it has a lot of value for the defender, but no real value for the attacker. This leads to awkward situations that almost invariably end in at least one party feeling griefed, and the other dissatisfied. The loser can't see any reason why they got robbed, and the attacker can't know beforehand whether the victim has treasure or quest items aboard.

It's not clear to me how this situation could be improved. A checkpoint system for the quests would feel somewhat artificial. Making quest items "non-physical" / part of your inventory would result in less interesting quest mechanics. Adding a value to quest items (so that they can be sold even when not in a quest) would encourage unfriendly crews to camp quest locations..

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
It is an interesting tension to it. I guess one thing that does occur is 'ambient treasure'. Most Tall Tales I have done have seen us also collect a bunch of stuff just by chance. So there is often going to be loot for those who seek it. Not as much as a crew gunning for chests or skulls, sure, but it seems to me the chance of an entirely empty ship are unchanged, really.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
I love this game but just had the most frustrating experience.

Solo slooping cargo runs in the devils raw and two rubbish players tried to steal my booty.

I climbed aboard their ship, dropped their anchor and spawn killed them to allow my ship to sail away.

One player spawned behind and killed me. I went through the Ferry of the Damned and while loading back to my ship I could hear the Shroud (Red Sea) tearing my ship apart. In the heat of the moment I'd forgotten about the edge of the map.

I was then stuck on the green loading wheel of death for 15 seconds while I could hear my ship creaking and being blasted.

Hate the stupid loading times, bleh