• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I've hit around level 30 with each of the main three companies and everything I do now is worth just a sliver of reputation. Hitting 50 with them all feels miles away!

I don't know if it's true but I've heard people say that level 42 is half way (because of how the level's increase)

You need to do Forts and skeleton ships! Also remember that Devil's Roar loot is worth double.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Allianced with two other friendly ships last night and did four Fort of the Damned clears back to back.

Pro tip if you're doing multiple FOTD! If you stack the loot on top of the lanterns (on the alter) in the loot vault it doesn't despawn when you start another wave. We just kept doing that instead taking it all to the ship and risking losing it all. Had to clear out a shit ton of loot when we'd finished the four but it made for a great photo on the ship!

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you think would generally be faster way to level athena rep.

FOTD or Athena Voyages?

FOTD obviously is the more dangerous option. I just don't know if it would actually be quicker unless you were in an alliance.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What do you think would generally be faster way to level athena rep.

FOTD or Athena Voyages?

FOTD obviously is the more dangerous option. I just don't know if it would actually be quicker unless you were in an alliance.

I think FOTD probably (especially with an alliance). A good Athena roll could get knocked out fairly fast if you really speedrun it and just tap chests though. But then you're giving up on all the rest of the loot.

I think if you grabbed a few Ritual skulls and did the FOTD a few times in a row you'd be faster than doing a few Athena voyages in a row.

Although you'd have to factor in getting the lights too 🤔

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think FOTD probably (especially with an alliance). A good Athena roll could get knocked out fairly fast if you really speedrun it and just tap chests though. But then you're giving up on all the rest of the loot.

I think if you grabbed a few Ritual skulls and did the FOTD a few times in a row you'd be faster than doing a few Athena voyages in a row.

Although you'd have to factor in getting the lights too 🤔
I think I'll just roll with Ashen Athena if I'm gonna grind.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
i think if all you care about the athena rep, speedrunning devils roar athenas is probably the fastest. Theres no initial setup, the maps generally are clustered between 3-4 islands because its contained to one region, the DR Athena chest is a bigger rep payout, and people arent in the roar that often so you're less likely to be sidetracked by other ships

If you're just focused on leveling up athena rep ASAP why would you deal with all the potential timesinks of the fort? Acquiring the lights/skull, potentially dealing with other crews (either by sailing around to set up an alliance, or defending the fort from attackers), spending like five minutes getting all the loot on board. And if you do set up a big alliance, in the time it takes you to do the fort yall could be doing multiple athena speedruns and get half rep from each other chest turnins instead of one chest at a time. FOTD just doesnt make sense to me if the athena chest is your sole goal

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got the Giver of Gifts commendation finished...

Happy that they've kept that title/commendation in despite it saying it's time limited... Thought I'd missed it.

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been wanting to share probably one of the greatest moments of sea of thieves for me. So today I was playing with a friend and my older brother just to kill some time really. Fairly quick my brother got tired of the game and left before we did anything. The initial plan was to go to the skeleton fleet and take it on but had to stop at a fort to grab some supplies but that fell apart after he left. So me and my friend were going to skuttle the ship and play last person standing against sharks. Instead when we got to the crows nest he blew up the two barrels we stored up there. At that point we spawned back in to the ship burning with the idea of leaving.

Instead of quitting the game and moving on to something else I decided to get on the rowboat we acquired and go to the skeleton fleet just to see what happened, he joined along and after 5-10 minutes of rowing we got there. It was at that moment we noticed that the final wave music was playing yet we saw no ships so we kept moving to these nearby rocks where we noticed that the two skeleton ships were stuck. We knew that we couldn't attack it but instead threw water on it. After a couple of buckets that thing sunk. We grabbed the loot and got ready to do the same to the other but we noticed the ship was no longer there and a player brig was coming close when the ship spawned next to it. The player ship sunk it fairly quick while we were still nearby the rocks waiting to make a play. That's when we bricked a sloop also came and attacked the brig, though at first we thought they were shooting at us since a cannon got really close and our light wouldn't turn off. The two ships were attacking each other while we looked for the loot. For a good while we could not find it and almost gave up but that's when we saw the glow of the loot. We went for it while nobody was close started grabbing stuff and saved what was sinking and almost thought we got figured out since the brig was super close but was actually getting supplies from floating barrels. Once we grabbed all the important stuff we booked it to ancient spire outpost while the two ships had no idea what was going on. Easiest loot from a skeleton fleet I've ever gotten.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Had one of those G.O.A.T encounters the other night and I'm still thinking about it.

I was waiting for my buddy to get on so we could go and hit up a skull fort. I hovered kinda near it and just gathered supplies. They finally got online and I instantly noticed that another ship, a brig, had already gone over and were working on it. So we glided over to the next nearest fort and gathered as many gunpowder barrels as we could. We got eight - and a rowboat. Went and parked out ship behind the next nearest island and started rowing over... The plan being that, when we got close, they'd jump off with one barrel as a contingency plan (and swim a little behind) and I would drive this exploding rowboat into them and blow them sky high. We get close and my buddy notices that they're on the fort boss. Perfect! They dive off as planned and I notice that the brig has no rowboat attached... I see one of their pirates running around on the deck. If they look in our direction they'd clearly see us rowing over. Luckily they don't - they get in a cannon and shoot off to the fort just as I hit Y to dock my rowboat to the back of their ship... with seven gunpowder kegs in it. I grab one, hop onto their ship, run downstairs and detonate it, which detonates all seven. Their ship went sky high. I fill their top deck with fire from fire bombs too and then obviously die from burning as they all rush back to their ship to try to save it. Cue my buddy coming aboard with their keg and detonating that right at their feet. We rush back with our ship (it was only one and half map squares away), finish the boss and make off with the key just as they reappear on the horizon. They chase us across the entire map but we skillfully lose them, dock at an outpost and change all of our cosmetics. We even both put on sneaky moustaches.

Head back to the fort to get the loot and they're hovering around obviously noticing that we didn't unlock the vault. So my buddy detaches with a new rowboat with the key, I aggro them and drag them RIGHT to the other side of the map while my buddy loads up all of the loot on their rowboat and rows it to an outpost. Complete overkill on the complexity of the situation versus the amount of loot that we actually got but, damn, it felt like the heist of the century.

Best game.

OP
OP
Sikamikanico

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Had one of those G.O.A.T encounters the other night and I'm still thinking about it.

I was waiting for my buddy to get on so we could go and hit up a skull fort. I hovered kinda near it and just gathered supplies. They finally got online and I instantly noticed that another ship, a brig, had already gone over and were working on it. So we glided over to the next nearest fort and gathered as many gunpowder barrels as we could. We got eight - and a rowboat. Went and parked out ship behind the next nearest island and started rowing over... The plan being that, when we got close, they'd jump off with one barrel as a contingency plan (and swim a little behind) and I would drive this exploding rowboat into them and blow them sky high. We get close and my buddy notices that they're on the fort boss. Perfect! They dive off as planned and I notice that the brig has no rowboat attached... I see one of their pirates running around on the deck. If they look in our direction they'd clearly see us rowing over. Luckily they don't - they get in a cannon and shoot off to the fort just as I hit Y to dock my rowboat to the back of their ship... with seven gunpowder kegs in it. I grab one, hop onto their ship, run downstairs and detonate it, which detonates all seven. Their ship went sky high. I fill their top deck with fire from fire bombs too and then obviously die from burning as they all rush back to their ship to try to save it. Cue my buddy coming aboard with their keg and detonating that right at their feet. We rush back with our ship (it was only one and half map squares away), finish the boss and make off with the key just as they reappear on the horizon. They chase us across the entire map but we skillfully lose them, dock at an outpost and change all of our cosmetics. We even both put on sneaky moustaches.

Head back to the fort to get the loot and they're hovering around obviously noticing that we didn't unlock the vault. So my buddy detaches with a new rowboat with the key, I aggro them and drag them RIGHT to the other side of the map while my buddy loads up all of the loot on their rowboat and rows it to an outpost. Complete overkill on the complexity of the situation versus the amount of loot that we actually got but, damn, it felt like the heist of the century.

Best game.
I love reading stories like this. Top work!

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Now the patch is out, we can talk about how AWESOME the Paradise Garden ship set is.

ERKbfugWsAAvYBC

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
really loving the new deep oceancrawler cosmetics (they pair really well with the twitch sails too!), going full technicolor punk for this months update
dfaf09260bd414e36dec8e863050d2fb6dd3ce9a.png

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
We did a few of the new voyages for a bit this night. Was fun. With this update, it feels like the game is heading towards wrapping up the Devil's Ridge locations and content. I won't be surprised if the next update contains the Flameheart tall tale, ending that story and the overarching Ashen theme.

Just a guess, but I'm hoping they add some ice theme in the south-western part of the map that is not currently accessible.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Used the potion to get a slightly different face on my Pirate. I like it. I have been using this look forever and will probably never change t.

Pirate.png

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone tried taking a Chest of Rage to a fort yet? Those fire shockwaves could be very effective against waves of skellies, I imagine. I mean, fire bombs usually does wonders to defeat them, but I always have so few...

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried taking a Chest of Rage to a fort yet? Those fire shockwaves could be very effective against waves of skellies, I imagine. I mean, fire bombs usually does wonders to defeat them, but I always have so few...
There's commendations for doing this, more or less.

Fire one shots (in that one firebomb is all it takes after they finish burning) gold skeletons so its very good.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
That figurehead is BEAUTIFUL.

Gonna be doing a lot of fishing... I've been wanting fishing tournaments for ages. So glad they're doing it. I want them to add fish WEIGHTS to the game. Like Ocarina of Time.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That figurehead is BEAUTIFUL.

Gonna be doing a lot of fishing... I've been wanting fishing tournaments for ages. So glad they're doing it. I want them to add fish WEIGHTS to the game. Like Ocarina of Time.

Weights would be cool. There's already gold variety for turning stuff in. Might as well add a little bit of that in.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hopped on a galleon and got some folks from an SoT Discord I'm part of to join up and we farmed fish till we got the figurehead. Took a couple hours. Can't imagine doing all that solo. But man, this might be my favorite of the figureheads they've done.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Got my figurehead! Shame it's not a massive Ruby Splashtail but... it's still totally awsome.

Just hit level 48 in Hunters Call rep... Not too far to go now!

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty new to SoT. What is the best way to go about trying to find a group to fish farm that figurehead? Find a discord?

In the 6 or so hours I've played so far, I've only done solo sloop.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty new to SoT. What is the best way to go about trying to find a group to fish farm that figurehead? Find a discord?

In the 6 or so hours I've played so far, I've only done solo sloop.

Use the in-built Xbox/Windows app LFG tool. It's dreamy for Sea of Thieves.

Either look for posts that others have posted looking for people for fishing Galleons or start you own closed crew Galleon and start your own LFG post. Just say you're looking for 3 players solely for fishing Ruby Splashtails for the event. You'll have a group in no time!

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
Use the in-built Xbox/Windows app LFG tool. It's dreamy for Sea of Thieves.

Either look for posts that others have posted looking for people for fishing Galleons or start you own closed crew Galleon and start your own LFG post. Just say you're looking for 3 players solely for fishing Ruby Splashtails for the event. You'll have a group in no time!

I'll give that a try, thanks! Really enjoying the game so far.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparantley crows nest fortress is the play.

There's a pond there where fish only fight you once and it takes one reel.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice (even though I've already done the challenge!). So take a storage crate to Crows Nest?
and pray no one comes to bother you.

A couple days ago I cannoned over to some brig doing a fort. I managed to sneak on and tuck. My team was off doing an Athena and had a lot of loot on board so wasn't picking for a fight. Unless I got lucky with a keg I wasn't gonna be able to solo these guys and steal the loot.

But I DID notice they had one guy not doing on the fort, just fishing. So while he was reeling in a fish I went below deck and took 5 of their trophies. I was considering just going back to my ship but.... They had a rowboat lol. So I stuffed as much as I could in the rowboat and took off while he was still fishing.

I think my fatal flaw was not timing it better. I should have left all the fish in the barrels until the guy came down to deposit his 5 and go fishing again. Because after I loaded in all fish and took off I looked back at the fort and HERES A BRIG COMING STRAIGHT FOR ME WHILE IM IN A ROWBOAT. Was an all time hilarious SoT moment for me.

I took the 5 most expensive looking fish and dipped.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
and pray no one comes to bother you.

A couple days ago I cannoned over to some brig doing a fort. I managed to sneak on and tuck. My team was off doing an Athena and had a lot of loot on board so wasn't picking for a fight. Unless I got lucky with a keg I wasn't gonna be able to solo these guys and steal the loot.

But I DID notice they had one guy not doing on the fort, just fishing. So while he was reeling in a fish I went below deck and took 5 of their trophies. I was considering just going back to my ship but.... They had a rowboat lol. So I stuffed as much as I could in the rowboat and took off while he was still fishing.

I think my fatal flaw was not timing it better. I should have left all the fish in the barrels until the guy came down to deposit his 5 and go fishing again. Because after I loaded in all fish and took off I looked back at the fort and HERES A BRIG COMING STRAIGHT FOR ME WHILE IM IN A ROWBOAT. Was an all time hilarious SoT moment for me.

I took the 5 most expensive looking fish and dipped.

Haha, fantastic! Terrifying!

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

New type of cannon-thing to fire - the Chain Shot!

Also, 2/29 will be a double gold/rep day

Twitch Drops this weekend w/partner streamers will include the obsidian fishing rod and the ebon flintlock.

Next update drops on 3/11 and has a new tall tale

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I can say is for those who played the insider builds

:)

Excited.

The one thing I'm curious about though is if they are planning something big for Anniversary. It kind of seems like no? Otherwise the new tall tale and whatnot would be bundled with a bigger update.

This is one of the "bigger" named updates. Last one was Seabound Soul in November that introduced fire, ashen chests/forts/fleets and the tall tale.

As the game stands now, it is much easier to rank up to Pirate Legend than it was in year 1. I used to be in discords trying to find someone to drop an athena for me, now they are everywhere.

I think its time to bring back the shelved "captaincy" update and add some more PL specific content.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
They've really scaled back on time limited items (which is obviously a good thing).

commendations/titles, yes. But the Black Market Archive is good.

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
Sweet good to know.

Just starting to get into this and really enjoying it so far. Almost reminds me of EVE online in some ways with the PvEvP environment and total sandbox nature of the game.

Is it even possible to meaningfully progress playing solo or a 2 man sloop or should I be aiming to use the Xbox live LFG tool for most of my play sessions? And by progress I suppose I mean make an appreciable amount of gold and see a good majority of the game's content.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Sweet good to know.

Just starting to get into this and really enjoying it so far. Almost reminds me of EVE online in some ways with the PvEvP environment and total sandbox nature of the game.

Is it even possible to meaningfully progress playing solo or a 2 man sloop or should I be aiming to use the Xbox live LFG tool for most of my play sessions? And by progress I suppose I mean make an appreciable amount of gold and see a good majority of the game's content.

Honestly, you can do a lot solo. I've basically gotten to level 30 for every company just playing solo or with one pal super casually since about November. I've done several tall tales, had loads of adventures, just generally had a good time.

Yeah, you might get absolutely obliterated by some 4 man crews now and then, but I find that's a bit of fun in itself, trying to outrun them or give them the slip, or even fighting back and doing some serious damage.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Reminder that today, the 29th of Feb, is a double gold/rep day. I did my gilded athena voyage today and got so. much. gold. Also hit this snipe of a guy who was trying to row his reaper chest away from us after we sank his galleon (might have been solo'ing, not sure).

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Snuck up on a galley who had just finished doing the FoTD. saw they were loading the kegs and... well...

(also, lol @ the tutorial bug. for some reason the game thought that would be a good moment to teach me how to use the map)