• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, my wife doesn't even play games and she was sat watching me play SOT last night and said "I would definitly play this with you, you could sail the ship and I will navigate and we can find treasure together, it will be fun" but the second she found out about the griefing and stuff it just immediately put her off, she has seen me being griefed on the game before and she just thinks it is annoying and honestly I have to agree with her, I don't want to spend hours finding treasure just to have a group of children come up screaming down their microphones and killing me over and over then taking the treasure, essentially rendering all the time I spent playing the game worthless, my time is already limited enough these days.

I don't mind PVP in games but there does seem to be a very high level of purposeful trolling on SOT probably because of certain streamers on twitch actively encouraging it, hence why, like yourself, I think they should find a way to make it so it's PVE or at least give an option for private servers for people like us who are content with PVE.
Exactly this. They can change the economy/cosmetic scale if they must but give those who just want to casually zone out and fish or play with others who aren't regular game players an area to enjoy. Hell, take away all cosmetics in the PvE only server and i'm fine with that.

Edit: You bring up one of the best arguments i have against SoT. It's a game that DOES NOT respect the player's time investment with how it operates. Rare is obsessed with "stories" but doesn't really reward time-in-game. You can spend hours and hours doing something only for it to be completely wiped away and swept into the ether in an instant through little or no fault of your own.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I mean, gold has no value outside cosmetics, so losing any of it isn't really something one should be angry about.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

It's things like the above which makes me think it's imperative we get a solution to the griefing, "being a pirate" is not an excuse for the toxic behaviour of some of the player base.

Some people don't want to PVP and the game should give everybody an opportunity to enjoy the game they want to enjoy it imo.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

It's things like the above which makes me think it's imperative we get a solution to the griefing, "being a pirate" is not an excuse for the toxic behaviour of some of the player base.

Some people don't want to PVP and the game should give everybody an opportunity to enjoy the game they want to enjoy it imo.

If the only kind of real,tangible effects you can have on the game with your actions depend on you inflicting those actions on another player, then that's just what people will focus on though.

The game has no progression, no meaningful goals and it is open PvP, so that's what people who look for "content" will focus on and they will not care who or why they do it to someone else.
Sad but true.

Like, I only play this game with my friends. We just started playing again after a year of not even thinking about the game. The only reason I have fun with it is cause I talk to my friends during it. When the game first came out I very quickly realized that gold had no meaning, ranks had no meaning, most of the content of the game on the map had no meaning to me. I could never get myself to play this without at least one of my friends online to bounce off of. Every piece of gold I collected was because a friend suggested we do it. I have 80k and don't intend to spend a single coin of it cause nothing i can spend it on matters to me. And I am a way too nice guy too and don't really want to mess with people who DO care about collecting gold. So basically, it's a chat room for me at this time.

Just ranting my thoughts here

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Exactly this. They can change the economy/cosmetic scale if they must but give those who just want to casually zone out and fish or play with others who aren't regular game players an area to enjoy. Hell, take away all cosmetics in the PvE only server and i'm fine with that.

Edit: You bring up one of the best arguments i have against SoT. It's a game that DOES NOT respect the player's time investment with how it operates. Rare is obsessed with "stories" but doesn't really reward time-in-game. You can spend hours and hours doing something only for it to be completely wiped away and swept into the ether in an instant through little or no fault of your own.

I would also be fine with that, none of that stuff even remotely bothers me, if I want that stuff I can then choose to enter into PVP knowing the risks.

That's my biggest gripe (that your edit is referring to) I am a father and a husband and in my 30s, I don't have 100s of hours to burn into a game anyway but at the same time SOT really interests me, aesthetically and gameplay wise I absolutely love it, as a matter of fact I would say it's my favourite this gen, it's an old school gem of a game in a new school fancy wrapper.

Unfortunately that is all undone when I spend 3-4 hours of my already precious time doing story quests with my wife getting treasure only to be wiped out by a bunch of trolls that actually just want to ruin my enjoyment of the game for the "lols."

I also like to sail solo (if I am not playing with my wife) as, in my experience, whenever I join with randoms it rarely turns out well.

I will admit I am as "casual" as they come with games these days, I want something I can relax with but that also offers a little bit of challenge but at the same time, like you say, also respects the time I put into it.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
If the only kind of real,tangible effects you can have on the game with your actions depend on you inflicting those actions on another player, then that's just what people will focus on though.

The game has no progression, no meaningful goals and it is open PvP, so that's what people who look for "content" will focus on and they will not care who or why they do it to someone else.
Sad but true.

You can completely play SoT in a PvE form. You don't need to see/talk to another player at all nowadays. (was different a year ago) There is progression with the various trading companies (some people like to see numbers/ranks go up - i could care less personally) and it gets you to Pirate Legend which does have some neat new things to see but nothing meaningful as they walked that all the fuck back. There are loads of challenges/accommodations that people enjoy doing as well for various cosmetic rewards. "Meaningful" is open to interpretation. I get what you're saying though.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
I would also be fine with that, none of that stuff even remotely bothers me, if I want that stuff I can then choose to enter into PVP knowing the risks.

That's my biggest gripe (that your edit is referring to) I am a father and a husband and in my 30s, I don't have 100s of hours to burn into a game anyway but at the same time SOT really interests me, aesthetically and gameplay wise I absolutely love it, as a matter of fact I would say it's my favourite this gen, it's an old school gem of a game in a new school fancy wrapper.

Unfortunately that is all undone when I spend 3-4 hours of my already precious time doing story quests with my wife getting treasure only to be wiped out by a bunch of trolls that actually just want to ruin my enjoyment of the game for the "lols."

I also like to sail solo (if I am not playing with my wife) as, in my experience, whenever I join with randoms it rarely turns out well.

I will admit I am as "casual" as they come with games these days, I want something I can relax with but that also offers a little bit of challenge but at the same time, like you say, also respects the time I put into it.

My wife and I are are also working professionals in our 30's (no kiddos though) and really echo almost identical feelings to yours. Rare is scared that if they add a PvE mode everyone will migrate and leave the sweaty FPS kiddos with nothing to do. I challenge that and say, hangout in Arena for PvP and make a PvE only option for Adventure.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

Sad but true.

Like, I only play this game with my friends. We just started playing again after a year of not even thinking about the game. The only reason I have fun with it is cause I talk to my friends during it. When the game first came out I very quickly realized that gold had no meaning, ranks had no meaning, most of the content of the game on the map had no meaning to me. I could never get myself to play this without at least one of my friends online to bounce off of. Every piece of gold I collected was because a friend suggested we do it. I have 80k and don't intend to spend a single coin of it cause nothing i can spend it on matters to me. And I am a way too nice guy too and don't really want to mess with people who DO care about collecting gold. So basically, it's a chat room for me at this time.

Just ranting my thoughts here

I get what you're saying but for somebody like myself, the exploration aspect is enough content to satisfy my needs, I don't need progression systems or for any sort of meaningful reason behind what I am doing in the game, it's the atmosphere alone that draws me in, sailing on a ship under the stars, hearing the water crash on my ship as a lonely pirate on the seas is such a great experience, it's relaxing and gives a sense of wonder that a game hasn't given me in a very long time.

Sailing the seas and hunting for treasure whilst dealing with storms and the enemies the game throws at me is more than enough to keep me happy but when I am being actively griefed by people who only want to play the game to ruin others enjoyment of it then it gets very tiring and just reminds me of why modern games frustrate me.

I just think it would be nice to give different players different options.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

If she had nothing on her boat and just wanted to go fish as she said in that clip, the actions of those other players are of no consequence. She can still do that. It sounded like she had cashed in her chest. So - Switch servers, and go fish. What did she lose? Yes they saw she had no loot and went to sink her boat/kill her anyway but she also did not attempt to prevent it or engage in any way. Having had my ship sunk, treasure taken, tall tale items taken, chased by ships, etc while playing solo, you have to let go of having bad player encounters get to you. They weren't toxic - they are playing the game as designed. They want to engage other crews as much as other players want to be left alone and that's what makes each server and each session of SoT unique and fun.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
First started this when i purchased my One X a few months ago. Could not get into it because of no explanation and never looked back. Can someone send me in the right direction or some good tutorial how to start. And is it even worth starting this game now?

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
My wife and I are are also working professionals in our 30's (no kiddos though) and really echo almost identical feelings to yours. Rare is scared that if they add a PvE mode everyone will migrate and leave the sweaty FPS kiddos with nothing to do. I challenge that and say, hangout in Arena for PvP and make a PvE only option for Adventure.

Completely agree with you and am glad that we are not alone in our thinking.

I don't see the downside to them adding private or PVE only servers for people like ourselves (who I am sure there are many more of.)

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Completely agree with you and am glad that we are not alone in our thinking.

I don't see the downside to them adding private or PVE only servers for people like ourselves (who I am sure there are many more of.)
I mean, they literally just added a "pvp kiddos" mode with Arena, so kinda not sure why they couldn't add a "carebear islands" mode for the opposite side of the coin.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
I mean, they literally just added a "pvp kiddos" mode with Arena, so kinda not sure why they couldn't add a "carebear islands" mode for the opposite side of the coin.
Funny thing is (as evident by watching streamers) they dont want to play Arena because they're playing with other more PvP focused and experienced players and get-off on killing and briefing those who want nothing to do with PvP or those less skilled at PvP. Really think they're worried with splitting the population too much.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
If she had nothing on her boat and just wanted to go fish as she said in that clip, the actions of those other players are of no consequence. She can still do that. It sounded like she had cashed in her chest. So - Switch servers, and go fish. What did she lose? Yes they saw she had no loot and went to sink her boat/kill her anyway but she also did not attempt to prevent it or engage in any way. Having had my ship sunk, treasure taken, tall tale items taken, chased by ships, etc while playing solo, you have to let go of having bad player encounters get to you. They weren't toxic - they are playing the game as designed. They want to engage other crews as much as other players want to be left alone and that's what makes each server and each session of SoT unique and fun.

They literally ran up to her while she was sat on the beach and shot her in the face, they sunk her ship for no purpose whatsoever, that right there might be "playing the game as intended" but it doesn't make it any less toxic, it's clear she wasn't wanting to engage in combat with them just based on her behaviour.

I don't even know the streamer, it was a post I came across on Twitter whilst reaching out to the developers about griefing but nonetheless, the video itself shows that the people who killed her are doing it for the purposes of trolling, I just don't believe it is fair that people have to have their enjoyment of the game ruined or have to switch servers and hope they won't run into people like this just so they can enjoy the game.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Funny thing is (as evident by watching streamers) they dont want to play Arena because they're playing with other more PvP focused and experienced players and get-off on killing and briefing those who want nothing to do with PvP or those less skilled at PvP. Really think they're worried with splitting the population too much.

That's part of the problem, from my (admittedly limited) viewing of SOT twitch streams the overall gameplay style of streamers seems to be griefing people who do not wish to engage in combat because it's somehow funny?

I mean, if that's what they enjoy then fair enough, I don't see the enjoyment in that tbh.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
First started this when i purchased my One X a few months ago. Could not get into it because of no explanation and never looked back. Can someone send me in the right direction or some good tutorial how to start. And is it even worth starting this game now?
I absolutely love the game in bursts. And now with the big update i could spend hours alone just fishing without the rest of the game to be honest lol. I'd recommend it. Get ready (be prepared) for some horrible but some equally amazing encounters with other players in the open world. Just remember - you can always switch servers quickly and scuttle your boat. To get started there isn' t one place i could recommend. Check Reddit (there might be a guide) and YT for some "beginners" videos.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
That's part of the problem, from my (admittedly limited) viewing of SOT twitch streams the overall gameplay style of streamers seems to be griefing people who do not wish to engage in combat because it's somehow funny?

I mean, if that's what they enjoy then fair enough, I don't see the enjoyment in that tbh.
It's because the viewers want to see the streamer dominate which they themselves can't do and they want to laugh at the dominated instead of being the dominated themselves.
That kinda content ALWAYS sells.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
It's because the viewers want to see the streamer dominate which they themselves can't do and they want to laugh at the dominated instead of being the dominated themselves.
That kinda content ALWAYS sells.

See i don't think that's true at all. PvP is one thing but harassing and griefing is another. Now that we have a dedicated PvP mode "Viewers" would probably love to see their favorite streamer in Arena racking up the kills with game position implications and more competition. Those who are just on it to get-off on making others miserable... well that's just sad. And i'm sure (i fucking hope) they're just young kids and will grow and mature.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had a chance to try the new stuff out yet, but I was just wondering if the Tall Tales stuff is possible to do solo?

I kind of have a feeling they may entail you having to kill megs or krakens as "boss fights" which frankly I ain't going to waste my time trying playing alone, but I could also be wrong?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
See i don't think that's true at all. PvP is one thing but harassing and griefing is another. Now that we have a dedicated PvP mode "Viewers" would probably love to see their favorite streamer in Arena racking up the kills with game position implications and more competition. Those who are just on it to get-off on making others miserable... well that's just sad. And i'm sure (i fucking hope) they're just young kids and will grow and mature.
I'm sure there are two different groups of viewership that want "competition" and "trolling" kinda equally. Just depends on the streamer and what he wants to go for and what his current community has more of.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

You also make a very good point here, surely if it was just about their favourite streamer dominating others they would prefer them to dominate in a mode that is catered to PVP?

I am sure people wouldn't watch BR streamers if all they did was play BR against bots.

Sadly people do get off on making others miserable, it's disheartening but again, like you, I hope it's just an age related thing.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had a chance to try the new stuff out yet, but I was just wondering if the Tall Tales stuff is possible to do solo?

I kind of have a feeling they may entail you having to kill megs or krakens as "boss fights" which frankly I ain't going to waste my time trying playing alone, but I could also be wrong?

Yes, you can solo them all. The hardest part is dealing with other players.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Add me to the list of wanting a mode to be able to just roam around in peace, I also would love to play this with my wife but the second we get attacked she'd be done.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
They literally ran up to her while she was sat on the beach and shot her in the face, they sunk her ship for no purpose whatsoever, that right there might be "playing the game as intended" but it doesn't make it any less toxic, it's clear she wasn't wanting to engage in combat with them just based on her behaviour.

I don't even know the streamer, it was a post I came across on Twitter whilst reaching out to the developers about griefing but nonetheless, the video itself shows that the people who killed her are doing it for the purposes of trolling, I just don't believe it is fair that people have to have their enjoyment of the game ruined or have to switch servers and hope they won't run into people like this just so they can enjoy the game.

I disagree that what they did is toxic or griefing in this game. Had it been accompanied with obscenities or threatening chat, then yes. If they were spawn camping and teasing, then yes. It was not. Interrupting what another player is doing and attacking or sinking them is well within the bounds of the game. We don't know why they did what they did. Perhaps they just wanted to cash in themselves and not be interrupted. Perhaps a sloop player had attacked them earlier and they thought (mistakenly) they'd found the culprit. Again, when you come upon another crew you can't be clear of their intentions and they can't be sure of yours. If you're going to let getting sunk or getting killed for no apparent reason get to you, I don't know how you'd ever enjoy this game.

Jan 13, 2018
I'm fine with the PvPvE angle, in general; they just need to make all quest items / clues stick to your Quest Radial, instead of being a lootable item. Some already are
(the cut-out map from #3, and the Star Compass from #2, for example)
; once you've earned it, you can't lose it.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree that what they did is toxic or griefing in this game. Had it been accompanied with obscenities or threatening chat, then yes. If they were spawn camping and teasing, then yes. It was not. Interrupting what another player is doing and attacking or sinking them is well within the bounds of the game. We don't know why they did what they did. Perhaps they just wanted to cash in themselves and not be interrupted. Perhaps a sloop player had attacked them earlier and they thought (mistakenly) they'd found the culprit. Again, when you come upon another crew you can't be clear of their intentions and they can't be sure of yours. If you're going to let getting sunk or getting killed for no apparent reason get to you, I don't know how you'd ever enjoy this game.

I'm with you on that. It's Sea of Thieves, not Sea of Friends. With my core group, we play the game by killing any and all players who get in our way or are acting sketchy. The only time we don't is if the other player engages in some way and specifically has something to offer in exchange for their life - either loot, or work - banding ships together into a fleet for a time while we sail and sink the next unlucky crew. Too many times we've tried to play nice and have been stabbed in the back, so that's the way we role now and it's a blast. I've had 3-4 ships in our fleet before rolling around - you either join us, offer to us, or die. Huzzah!

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

I mean, I don't know the context around the clip so you could be right but from what I am seeing here, there is a crew of three people sinking a sloop and killing a solo player, who herself said she just wanted to cash the chest in and go fishing, I find it hard to believe that this is anything but trolling but I admit, there is a possibility there could be another explanation.

The overall point I am trying to make is, I have experienced this kind of griefing that you have mentioned,, the screaming down the mic, the trolling in chat, the spawn camping etc it's not a good experience for people who just want to PVE and who aren't interested in PVP, that's why I think there is a good argument for people getting a mode or private servers to suit that playstyle.

I mean, the game has a PVP mode now that caters to PVP why not have a PVE mode?

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I'm with you on that. It's Sea of Thieves, not Sea of Friends. With my core group, we play the game by killing any and all players who get in our way or are acting sketchy. The only time we don't is if the other player engages in some way and specifically has something to offer in exchange for their life - either loot, or work - banding ships together into a fleet for a time while we sail and sink the next unlucky crew. Too many times we've tried to play nice and have been stabbed in the back, so that's the way we role now and it's a blast. I've had 3-4 ships in our fleet before rolling around - you either join us, offer to us, or die. Huzzah!

That's a very exclusionary way to look at things imo.

I am not saying you aren't entitled to enjoy the game the way you are playing it, that's completely fine and if you enjoy playing it that way then that's also fine.

But I also believe people should have the option to avoid that if they dislike it, I don't see how it would harm the game, it just means people like yourself can come up against other players that are fine with fighting and PVP and people like myself can enjoy the game without having to worry about getting 4-5 hours of progress wiped out by a crew of 4 people while I am on a solo sloop minding my own business.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I am not saying you aren't entitled to enjoy the game the way you are playing it, that's completely fine and if you enjoy playing it that way then that's also fine.

But I also believe people should have the option to avoid that if they dislike it, I don't see how it would harm the game, it just means people like yourself can come up against other players that are fine with fighting and PVP and people like myself can enjoy the game without having to worry about getting 4-5 hours of progress wiped out by a crew of 4 people while I am on a solo sloop minding my own business.

The argument against a separate PVE mode would be that it would completely split the userbase so all the players who want to play without PVP play on the light server and all the players that want PVP interactions play on the traditional server. That's not how I want to play the game. I don't want to know players intentions when I spot them on the horizon. Especially if I'm planning on some dastardly pirate stuff. I want them to think that I might be friendly. And I might be, for a bit. Sea of Thieves is special because you never know - everything goes. You have to be react to the scenario while you're in it.

I wouldn't want to split the playerbase like that personally.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
I'm sure there are two different groups of viewership that want "competition" and "trolling" kinda equally. Just depends on the streamer and what he wants to go for and what his current community has more of.
No you're right. There are those trolling-meme-machine kids out there that prob eat this shit up with a shovel.

You also make a very good point here, surely if it was just about their favourite streamer dominating others they would prefer them to dominate in a mode that is catered to PVP?

I am sure people wouldn't watch BR streamers if all they did was play BR against bots.

Sadly people do get off on making others miserable, it's disheartening but again, like you, I hope it's just an age related thing.
Yeah it's a bummer. And Rare can't really police it with how they have the game set up currently. They alienate as many as they attract in that regard. A PvE mode... well, that would solve it. [ahem Rare]

I was sick of hearing this over a year ago in Pioneer and then Alpha and Beta testing... that it's still being used as a low-effort catch all is beyond me. I do get what you're saying, trust me i do; however, it's not an excuse for some player's behavior.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
It's difficult for me to decide where I stand on all this, I've had a couple of times in the past where I've been griefed whilst playing on my lonesome and it REALLY pissed me off,

But then there are times when I've been online with friends and we've been the griefers and we had a hilarious time, so, I dunno. I guess that's the nature of the game and it wouldn't be Sea of Thieves if we took that away.

I do still wish they'd make the game easier for solo sailors. There have been times where I've been stuck in a storm on my own and that is absolutely hell on earth trying to multi task.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
The argument against a separate PVE mode would be that it would completely split the userbase so all the players who want to play without PVP play on the light server and all the players that want PVP interactions play on the traditional server. That's not how I want to play the game. I don't want to know players intentions when I spot them on the horizon. Especially if I'm planning on some dastardly pirate stuff. I want them to think that I might be friendly. And I might be, for a bit. Sea of Thieves is special because you never know - everything goes. You have to be react to the scenario while you're in it.

I wouldn't want to split the playerbase like that personally.
If that happens that's more a failure of game design and Rare needs to address that. I'm with you in that i love the normal PvPvE arena mode and not knowing what to expect. That said i know loads hate that or would love an option to switch whenever they dont want to PvP. Why not both ya'know? They tried with Arena but the mode is a giant failure (imo) so keep it or boot it (i could care less) but give everyone the PvP/PvE switch in adventure mode and call it a day.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

If Rare can find a way to make a PVE or private server thing to work, I'm ok with that. But also - I fee like I need that PVE player to balance out my own experience. I wouldn't want to just PVE cuz I like the mystery of what another crew's intentions are when they approach and I love interacting with other players in ways both friendly and not. I also don't just want to PVP and know every ship that approaches is bad. I play with my 7 year-old daughter and on occasion I have to explain to other crews that hey we are friendly and just doing easy missions. Sometimes those crews then stop their advance. Sometimes they don't (and if they don't, then I fight back). But I really like those moments and wouldn't want them to be gone.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
did they change their minds on the 30s invincibility on respawn? that seemed like such a good idea

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
She died one time by other players...that's not toxic. I mean...it sucks but lets not overload the term. You died in a game of PvP...sure you were trying to do other stuff...I mean...shit everyone who wants to do something else in the game should "let you not engage cuz you aren't"? Eh...I could see if they repeatedly harassed her though.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I've had bad experiences with grieffers. People that simply wanted to sink my boat even if I was only trying to do a bilge rats quest with nothing of value on my boat. It's awful when such things happen, but that kind of situations have been less than 10% of my time in the game.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Not on purpose, but.. to offset the asshattery some people deliver, I actually spent the last 45 minutes on my sloop following this Galleon with 4 dudes on it, playing music for them from my sloop (I was able to almost stick literally right next to them for the whole time) and helping them with the Tall Tales adventure they were doing. In the end an accident sank my ship and I stayed on theirs for about 10-15 mins until I left.

It was fun being a nice person :) And they were grateful too, which made it worth it!

I also know they were incredibly suspicious of me, until they saw me wander around their ship playing music, ignoring their loot, and jumping back into mine. It was fun alright.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I just don't think you can have the highs without the lows (the person who said 'there's no meaning to it', cover your ears, haha). I've had nasty pirates do nasty stuff to me and my ship, and it sucks, but the flipside is that it makes positive encounters all the more so, because the tension, the suspicion, the negotiation etc all add to the flavour. PvE would neuter the irritation, sure, but it'd neuter so much else too.

Purely anecdotally, since Arena I've had absolutely 0 PvP encounters in Adventure, hah!

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
I just don't think you can have the highs without the lows (the person who said 'there's no meaning to it', cover your ears, haha). I've had nasty pirates do nasty stuff to me and my ship, and it sucks, but the flipside is that it makes positive encounters all the more so, because the tension, the suspicion, the negotiation etc all add to the flavour. PvE would neuter the irritation, sure, but it'd neuter so much else too.

Purely anecdotally, since Arena I've had absolutely 0 PvP encounters in Adventure, hah!
I can see that. Problem is the high's in SoT do not justify the lows IMO. Yes {insert buzz-worthy emergent-gaming phrase here} can happen but 9 times out of 10 it's a group dumpstering another for the "lulz".

Edit: Though yes, my experience (like all of ours) is purely anecdotal.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I can see that. Problem is the high's in SoT do not justify the lows IMO. Yes {insert buzz-worthy emergent-gaming phrase here} can happen but 9 times out of 10 it's a group dumpstering another for the "lulz".

But for me they do, because the balance is far and away in favour of 'interesting encounters' rather than the 'screaming kids harassing you for days', which unfortunately others seem to have experienced. 9 times out of 10 is absolutely way off base in my hours of play.

I've met crews and happily ignoired them, raced them, played music with them, supplied them, stolen shit from them, fought them, etc. All 'positive'. I've also had some irritating shits. Solution? Mute, and write off any losses, and potentially even server change. I've yelled at the game, for sure. But it's all part of the story.

I think a key there is also what you value in the game, and, as ever, it's SoT's great strength and great weakness (and why I think Rare deserve kudos for sticking to their guns): it isn't great for respecting peoples' time at... times, but the flipside is that it enables an experience quite unlike anything else.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
If Rare can find a way to make a PVE or private server thing to work, I'm ok with that. But also - I fee like I need that PVE player to balance out my own experience. I wouldn't want to just PVE cuz I like the mystery of what another crew's intentions are when they approach and I love interacting with other players in ways both friendly and not. I also don't just want to PVP and know every ship that approaches is bad. I play with my 7 year-old daughter and on occasion I have to explain to other crews that hey we are friendly and just doing easy missions. Sometimes those crews then stop their advance. Sometimes they don't (and if they don't, then I fight back). But I really like those moments and wouldn't want them to be gone.
A PvP Adventure mode wouldn't be a hard end to this type of uncertainty depending on how Rare wanted to handle the mode. They could incentivise players to play PvP Adventure to gain gold faster (or some other bonuses) and then you keep that risk in the mode. Maybe limit/stop cosmetic progression all together in PvE Adventure. I think there are ways to make it all work.

Green

Oct 27, 2017

That much I can agree - I'm just not sure how well the game would handle the split populations, though it shouldn't be an issue. More choice is better. But for now, I thoroughly enjoy the risk-reward and uncertainty factors with this game. There's really nothing else like it that I know of. It's engaging to me because of the fact you can role play within this sort of dynamic open world where you don't know who might be your friend or enemy - the self-made stories Rare keep talking about are exactly how I have experienced and enjoyed this game.

I was sick of hearing this over a year ago in Pioneer and then Alpha and Beta testing... that it's still being used as a low-effort catch all is beyond me. I do get what you're saying, trust me i do; however, it's not an excuse for some player's behavior.

I disagree. This is what the game is... You are free to play something else or wait until Rare introduce a solo/private PvE mode. But when I go in to the game, I'm expecting to be confronted by all sorts of challenges along the way during my session. I have zero issues with the griefing - I've had crews of players chase me for over an hour before just to get a single junky chest I had on my ship. I didn't even care about the chest, I just wanted the other crew to not have it. That dynamism is what sets this game apart from your typical PvE or PvP game.

I would like to see a new feature where you can shoot up a flare or something when crews are giving you a hard time to call in support from other crews, rather than these separate modes. Stuff like that I think would be a better way to combat the griefing. That and do what GTA V does but better - where it generally tries to put all the griefers together in a server.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
That much I can agree - I'm just not sure how well the game would handle the split populations, though it shouldn't be an issue. More choice is better. But for now, I thoroughly enjoy the risk-reward and uncertainty factors with this game. There's really nothing else like it that I know of. It's engaging to me because of the fact you can role play within this sort of dynamic open world where you don't know who might be your friend or enemy - the self-made stories Rare keep talking about are exactly how I have experienced and enjoyed this game.

I disagree. This is what the game is... You are free to play something else or wait until Rare introduce a solo/private PvE mode. But when I go in to the game, I'm expecting to be confronted by all sorts of challenges along the way during my session. I have zero issues with the griefing - I've had crews of players chase me for over an hour before just to get a single junky chest I had on my ship. I didn't even care about the chest, I just wanted the other crew to not have it. That dynamism is what sets this game apart from your typical PvE or PvP game.

I would like to see a new feature where you can shoot up a flare or something when crews are giving you a hard time to call in support from other crews, rather than these separate modes. Stuff like that I think would be a better way to combat the griefing. That and do what GTA V does but better - where it generally tries to put all the griefers together in a server.

I don't understand how Rare implementing a PvE Adventure mode would change any of that for you exactly? Are you afraid the majority of players would move to that side of the playlist and leave only the most skilled and aggressive players on the PvP Adventure mode? A PvP Adventure mode would not force players to actively attack each other and they could play exactly as they do now in "normal" Adventure mode. Rare could (and should) incentivise the players to enter the mode for better/quicker loot etc. Higher risk... higher reward. A place for everyone :)

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how Rare implementing a PvE Adventure mode would change any of that for you exactly? Are you afraid the majority of players would move to that side of the playlist and leave only the most skilled and aggressive players on the PvP Adventure mode? A PvP Adventure mode would not force players to actively attack each other and they could play exactly as they do now in "normal" Adventure mode. Rare could (and should) incentivise the players to enter the mode for better/quicker loot etc. Higher risk... higher reward. A place for everyone :)

I don't think it would change anything in the regular mode - I was just pondering if it would or not. Honestly, I would probably prefer a PvE only mode since I mostly just derp around and fish and stuff now.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
I don't think it would change anything in the regular mode - I was just pondering if it would or not. Honestly, I would probably prefer a PvE only mode since I mostly just derp around and fish and stuff now.
Ah ok i got ya. Yeah nowadays i'd likely spend most my time in PvE with the wife and casual gamer friends drinking and socializing on a weekend evening.

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
I started about a month ago, and I'm having fun playing this game. But even after all the updates and patches, it is still "find this treasure", "find this skeleton", etc. Yes, I know the game is more about comradery, but there's just not much diversity in things to do. They create these Tall Tales which are cool, but... why are skeletons the only NPC enemy (that is not water bound) in this game? Sure, I might be proven wrong later since I'm only halfway through the tales. And I hope to be proven wrong. Many of these have cool concepts but they feel half-assed.

But I'll continue playing through the story and hope it gets better.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I don't really have a stance on a potential PvE mode, but if they really DO add it, they should disable the option to make alliances on PvE servers.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am still against a Private and/or PvE only mode.

But I could entertain the idea if rep/gold payouts were halved or more. Lets you have adventures with friends and friendly run ins with players. But the decreased risk should mean decreased payouts. I just don't want to split the player base further than Arena already sorta did.

Another note: Purely anecdotal but.. The only times I have EVER been truly griefed is when sailing solo. When people see a sloop they see someone who may have loot and who is vulnerable. I did the first tall tale Solo and was griefed. Not pirated... griefed. I'm off of snake island trying to find the sunken chest when a boat rolls up and starts blasting me. I say I'm friendly, hoping they stop. They send a boarder over. I have every opportunity to blast the guy off my ladder and sail away, but I hope maybe they are cool. Nope. I get slashed at while they spout off the classic line "it's sea of thieves not sea of friends" I respawn back in saying I don't have anything, im doing the tall tale. They say "we dont care this is fun". And to make it clear, I'm not even fighting back. Just trying to run around. So I scuttle. Fish for a bit and then head back to get my chest after it looks all clear.

Meanwhile, while I did a similar quest on a brigantine, we rolled up to a sloop parked on one of the uncharted quest islands. We spam we are friendly in the chat and this sloop just goes sails down and books it away in fear lol.

I think for me, the tension of other players being around is a CORE component of the game. You can steal from players, fight them or be friends. You can pool an entire server together to do athena voyages for absurd payouts or you can sink and steal everyone you come across. Some of the best moments are when both parties have voice chat and are just testing the waters with each other, take a chance, and sail together. That would not be the same if there wasn't some danger involved.

Also people need to stop acting like rolling up on someone fishing is some purely troll, dick move. I was in a galleon crew a few days ago when we spotted a sloop parked by a shipwreck. We went in to investigate and the guy is spamming context chat saying he is friendly and fishing. We fire a boarder to his boat. Turns out he had been fishing for quite some time and had a pretty nice looking food resource barrel full of fish. Not to mention 2 or so chests and a skull, likely from the shipwreck. So we killed him, kept him spawn killed (probably around 2 or so respawns) so we could fully loot that barrel. Those trophy wreckers go for a good penny. Fish is still loot, dude was careless. That is part of the game.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
I am still against a Private and/or PvE only mode.

But I could entertain the idea if rep/gold payouts were halved or more. Lets you have adventures with friends and friendly run ins with players. But the decreased risk should mean decreased payouts. I just don't want to split the player base further than Arena already sorta did.

Another note: Purely anecdotal but.. The only times I have EVER been truly griefed is when sailing solo. When people see a sloop they see someone who may have loot and who is vulnerable. I did the first tall tale Solo and was griefed. Not pirated... griefed. I'm off of snake island trying to find the sunken chest when a boat rolls up and starts blasting me. I say I'm friendly, hoping they stop. They send a boarder over. I have every opportunity to blast the guy off my ladder and sail away, but I hope maybe they are cool. Nope. I get slashed at while they spout off the classic line "it's sea of thieves not sea of friends" I respawn back in saying I don't have anything, im doing the tall tale. They say "we dont care this is fun". And to make it clear, I'm not even fighting back. Just trying to run around. So I scuttle. Fish for a bit and then head back to get my chest after it looks all clear.

Meanwhile, while I did a similar quest on a brigantine, we rolled up to a sloop parked on one of the uncharted quest islands. We spam we are friendly in the chat and this sloop just goes sails down and books it away in fear lol.

I think for me, the tension of other players being around is a CORE component of the game. You can steal from players, fight them or be friends. You can pool an entire server together to do athena voyages for absurd payouts or you can sink and steal everyone you come across. Some of the best moments are when both parties have voice chat and are just testing the waters with each other, take a chance, and sail together. That would not be the same if there wasn't some danger involved.

Also people need to stop acting like rolling up on someone fishing is some purely troll, dick move. I was in a galleon crew a few days ago when we spotted a sloop parked by a shipwreck. We went in to investigate and the guy is spamming context chat saying he is friendly and fishing. We fire a boarder to his boat. Turns out he had been fishing for quite some time and had a pretty nice looking food resource barrel full of fish. Not to mention 2 or so chests and a skull, likely from the shipwreck. So we killed him, kept him spawn killed (probably around 2 or so respawns) so we could fully loot that barrel. Those trophy wreckers go for a good penny. Fish is still loot, dude was careless. That is part of the game.

Damn! Don't blame you though. Trophy Wreckers have to be the most sought items in the game right now.