• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Yarr, welcome one and all to OT2! (Hastily put together by yours truly, though in true Pirate fashion, I stole the banner from the last OT - Credit to Centracor once again)

NZdndvs.gif

Platform(s): Xbox One, PC (Windows 10 Store) - Crossplay, Gamepass and Crossbuy Enabled
Players: 1-4 Players Online Only
Original Release Date: 20/3/2018 Anniversary Release Date: 30/04/2019
Developer: Rare
Publisher: Microsoft

Now we all know Sea of Thieves was perhaps a little light on content when it launched, but no longer - today marks the release of the Anniversary update, with new story driven content, a competitive arena mode and fishing and hunting.

TALL TALES - SHORES OF GOLD

Grand adventures, vast riches to plunder, ancient secrets to uncover… stories of piracy and wild encounters on the waves. The Sea of Thieves is bigger and stranger than anyone knows. Tall Tales – Shores of Gold brings this pirate world into even more vibrant focus, leading you deep into long-lost legend and mystery. Are you ready to follow our trail of tales?

NOTE: For those that hated the always online multiplayer aspect of Sea of Thieves, please be aware - you are still in a shared world. Other crews can still come and ruin your day, so keep a weather eye on the horizon. But hopefully all those PVP folks will be blasting each other to smithereens in....

THE ARENA

Experience the thrill of competition and engage in explosive encounters in The Arena – a place dedicated to contests of seafaring skill on the Sea of Thieves! The proudest pirates love to show off their abilities and The Arena is the ideal place for it. Trust in your crew and test your mettle in this dedicated new game mode.

NOTE: Rounds take about 25 minutes, 5 crews of 4 (in Galleons) total per Arena Map. Be as much of a scurvy dog as humanly possible!

THE HUNTER'S CALL

Pirate bard Merrick, a true survivor of the Sea of Thieves, has decided to build on his experiences by founding a new Trading Company known as The Hunter's Call. This ragtag band boasts experts in hunting, fishing and cooking and would like all pirates to master the same skills. Handsome rewards await those who can catch the rarest creatures and cook the finest dishes!​

The Sea of Thieves Anniversary Update also brings along various world improvements to enhance the core experience. Expanded ship damage means that your beloved vessel can suffer a broken mast, capstan or even wheel, meaning that sailing and escaping battle could become very tricky indeed. The Anniversary Update also comes stacked with another 1000 Gamerscore to earn, a full list can be found here.

Everything that has been added to Sea of Thieves since launch, is all still there (barring timed-events rewarding exclusive cosmetics) so if you haven't played since launch, keep your eye out for Skeleton Ships, a variety of Megaladons, and fog, as well as an increased tick-rate of Skeleton Forts nd Skeleton Ship battles, the Devils Roar (a dangerous volcanic zone) and cursed cannonballs with which to attack other vessels. A session can be peaceful or utter carnage.

NEED A CREW?
Click the image to join the ResetERA Discord. There's also an Xbox Live Club - ERA OF THIEVES

SEE YOU ON THE SEAS!

For old deckhands returning to the waves, the patch notes can be found here.

Last edited:

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017
So ready for this new update. Got back into the game with friends recently and its a total blast. Highly recommend people jump back in who may have had a sour taste in their mouth after launch.

(By the way that Discord link says the invite is invalid)

OP
OP
Sikamikanico

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
So ready for this new update. Got back into the game with friends recently and its a total blast. Highly recommend people jump back in who may have had a sour taste in their mouth after launch.

(By the way that Discord link says the invite is invalid)

Thanks for the heads up - will get that adjusted.

EDIT: Should be working now.

Oct 25, 2017
Can GOTY 2018 repeat in 2019?

Not played for a few weeks since I hit Pirate Legend but I'm raring to jump back in and see all the new shit.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming I will tackle the tall tales first before getting into fishing and Arena.

So much to dooooo

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The amount of content in this update... it's basically a sequel, pushed out a year after the original game. Absolutely lovely stuff.

creamcake

Oct 25, 2017
The ResetERA discord link is inactive.

I'm so pumped about this release. Trying to get my crew together for tonight. The update looks brilliant.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sea of Thieves delay was only 30 min. Must have found the problem faster than realized.

Seas are Open

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't take long.

Those patch notes are masssssiiiveeee.
Oh and if people want to crew up later today for a bit of the Tall Tales stuff then let me know. My brother and I will almost certainly give it a go.

Yeah I don't like reading either.
There is a literal campaign now with completely unique puzzles/traps/battles.
I know there's additional content, like before. But are the quests still the same grind?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any changes to the boring mission design?
When is the last time you played?

They added a new type of merchant voyage which is a little more enjoyable. You basically get a contract to deliver cargo to some other NPC in the world. 3 different types of cargo which can be damaged/needs to be maintained in certain ways.

Other than that the actual trading company voyages are largely the same. The athena voyages are also the same (mix of voyages) but you can challenge yourself for bigger payouts by doing voyages in The Devils Roar (volcanic region)

They also have reapers run voyages which challenge you to go to a highly contested area in the world to dig up chests.

But... in this update we have Tall Tales which are completley unique missions with story, voice acting, cutscenes and unique mechanics. Traps, new objects, new locations, new characters, mechanics, tools... All of them different. They will reward gold, but I don't think they reward trading company progress.

There is also a new trading company, hunters call, revolves around fishing, hunting, and cooking which are also new mechanics.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
YESSSSS. Ready to brave the seas with absolutely tons of new stuff tonight.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
When is the last time you played?

They added a new type of merchant voyage which is a little more enjoyable. You basically get a contract to deliver cargo to some other NPC in the world. 3 different types of cargo which can be damaged/needs to be maintained in certain ways.

Other than that the actual trading company voyages are largely the same. The athena voyages are also the same (mix of voyages) but you can challenge yourself for bigger payouts by doing voyages in The Devils Roar (volcanic region)

They also have reapers run voyages which challenge you to go to a highly contested area in the world to dig up chests.

But... in this update we have Tall Tales which are completley unique missions with story, voice acting, cutscenes and unique mechanics.
Last week...

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
Finally downloaded the game last night and can't wait to try it.

Been waiting for the single player campaign since launch.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then the answer is,

the voyages you were grinding out before are still there. Nothing has changed.

You have more toys to play with, fishing, cooking, harpoon guns.

Combat is more interesting now that ships can be damaged with bigger holes, broken masts,wheels, capstan.

But the big additions are an entirely new mode separate from the game, Arena, which is a competetive combat oriented thing.

And Tall Tales which are part of the main game and play like actual campaign missions

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

The basic quests of the game haven't changed, no. They have always been cues for the sandbox, in effect. They have added more types of them, but the simplicity remains.

They are now supplemented by a lot more stuff, however, including the Tall Tales, much more fleshed-out quests.

OP
OP
Sikamikanico

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having my crew over for a 4 day LAN this weekend, so I'm gonna hold off on the Tall Tales stuff. Arena only between now and then!