• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
This is a misguided post.

The minecraft comparison is not the same. Minecraft isn't a public shared world. You can join a large server but they all come with their own set of rules and regulations and are privately managed. If Minecrafts Survival let you run into other random matchmade players it could be comparable but that is not the case. The reason a lot of us play SoT is BECAUSE the world is shared with other players doing their own thing. The tension when you see a set of sails on the horizon is one of the main reasons we play, not a bad part of the game.

Arena was already a controversial choice because it splits the userbase a bit. But ultimately I think it was for the best because it gives people who play SoT primarily for PvP a quick outlet. I've joined PvP galleons before this update and it was a struggle to find people at times.

I will say, I can entertain the idea of a private, friends only instance. However it either needs to have all rep/gold gathered not count, or be heavily reduced. This is a place to dick around with friends, not subvert the main game experience.

***story time***

I decided to solo sloop last night and tried to do the Trickster tall tale. Saw a sloop and a galleon on the horizon. Which is still to this day an awesome thing to see because I don't know their intentions. But I continue to sail and solve some riddles on Plunder Valley. I solve the riddle, grab the next part of the quest when I hear cannon shots. I sprint over and there is another sloop wailing into my boat. I had some bait and a goblet on board so I did have loot.. fair enough thieves....

They realize however, that I must still be on the island and to make the situation even funnier they are both in game chat trying to coax me out. "Come out, come out.. we just want to talk!" I tried to emote sleep in a bush but accidentally hit the quick chat and did reveal that I was nearby.... So we basically played a little bit of hide and seek all over plunder valley. My goal was to sneak back into their boat and see if I could wreak some havoc. Unfortunately one of the pirates did find me (curse you glowing athena gloves) and starts engaging with me. LUCKILY a gunpowder keg skeleton pops up next to him and kills him, which was hilarious. I manage to loop back around the island but over game chat I heard them saying to just ignore me and they sail away JUST before I am able to get onto their boat. Shame.

A few minutes later I am back on plunder valley for part 2 of the quest. Trying to solve a more complex riddle when I see a RANDOM ASS ROWBOAT pull in. I look around, no ship. This dude looks like he's just been rowing the whole time lmao. We exchange ahoys and a wave. I'm a little wary but this dude is on a rowboat by himself so what can he do? I actually ended up finding 2 mermaid statues on the other side of the island. I was ferrying the gems back to my ship when a shark kills me. I rush back and I see he has one.... and then he says "Take this off me" and drops it off on my ship. What a bro! I ended up finishing the next part of the trickster mission and for those who don't know... lets just say I hope my new friend didn't get caught in the aftermath lol.

This story would have been very mundane and boring without those player interactions. Even though the first guys sank me I would not have given up that interaction anyway.

Besides, I lost progress on that tall tale due to PvE later on anyway. My fragile quest item was destroyed.
Is the Sea of Thieves playerbase really small? I thought people said it sold really well or had huge Twitch numbers or whatever it was, so I would not have thought that alternate styles of servers would be that detrimental to the playerbase. I've suggested a solo-only server option a few times before and could see it as a way to bring more people into the fray and may lead to them graduating to the free for all servers if they gather a crew. The lack of ways to gather a crew in the game without random matchmaking is also an issue, as I'd consider joining a crew if I could ensure that I'd be matched with people that are similarly minded as me and don't want to be jerks in the game. It doesn't seem like there's much of a community in the game since it's all about free for all where everybody has to fend for themselves. Can you let people you meet in the server join your crew or does it have to be set-up before playing the game?

I've said here before that I'd love something as simple as a solo-only server for people to be on even terms with others on the same server where they could just explore and have fun on their own terms for the most part and have a shot at defending themselves against attackers compared to now where solo players are going to eventually just get bullied out of the game completely every single time unless I plan on getting on at times where nobody will be on. It's cool, legit, and valid if you want that experience, but I'd bet there are a lot of people that would like something that's a bit less hostile to people that just want to chill out, explore, and have some fun. I'm coming from a point of view where this could be an amazing follow-up to Wind Waker and it can't come close to that game due to the hostile PvP being the only way to play it.

I don't know anything about voice chat with the game because I turned it off early on when my social anxiety caused me to quit the game abruptly at launch when something kept following me around the markets while mentioning my username. I don't recall there being any other way of communicating with people and haven't seen any sort of quick chat option either. I'd have figured that having plain sails would be a good way to signal to other players that I'm not a threat to anybody and that I'd like to be left alone. I don't think I've been able to finish more than a few quests due to jerks harassing me in the game and my first attempt to complete one of the story missions went horribly with no real way for me to deal with it as a solo player. I'm just supposed to take it until they get bored or scuttle the ship and try to figure out whether I want to bother with restarting the quest or moving onto some other game. If that's the experience Rare wants, then they've done a great job.

I've played a decent amount of Fallout 76 and with 24 players on a server, I haven't seen many jerks around whose sole existence is to ruin other people's fun. I did have a guy walk into my camp and try to shoot me when I was under level 5 when that's not an option, but that was it for the most part. People tend to come together for events rather than be jerks to each other.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Just sail solo. You can easily avoid others if you want to.
I encounter other people way to infrequently during Adventure mode. Especially now that Arena is released.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
Am I doing something wrong? I can't light any of the braziers with my lantern during the first tall tale
Edit: nevermind figured it out. If anyone else is as dumb as me, hold LT for the prompt

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Am I doing something wrong? I can't light any of the braziers with my lantern during the first tall tale
You have to extend the lantern out and then you'll get a prompt to light.
I encounter other people way to infrequently during Adventure mode. Especially now that Arena is released.
This has been my experience as well. The few ships I've seen have been friendly, I usually do a quick "ahoy" in the chat and keep going.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
When you say griefer, what was the situation - what did they do?

Griefing in SoT only covers a few things. 1) Repeated spawn killing without sinking a ship or letting it sink. 2) Having an open slot on your crew filled by someone who repeatedly drops the anchor or sabotages voyages in progress. 3) Any PVP scenario where another player uses offensive or hate speech in their trash talk.

The rest - like being chased, shot at or sunk, are developer-intended play mechanics. You can try to explain that you're playing with your daughter (I've done that, here's a clip) but the other crew doesn't necessarily have to listen or care about that. Definitely sucks when it means any important Tall Tale items get pilfered, but that too is not griefing.

Repeated spawn killing. In the end we had to stop playing as we couldn't continue.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Sea of Thieves playerbase really small? I thought people said it sold really well or had huge Twitch numbers or whatever it was, so I would not have thought that alternate styles of servers would be that detrimental to the playerbase. I've suggested a solo-only server option a few times before and could see it as a way to bring more people into the fray and may lead to them graduating to the free for all servers if they gather a crew. The lack of ways to gather a crew in the game without random matchmaking is also an issue, as I'd consider joining a crew if I could ensure that I'd be matched with people that are similarly minded as me and don't want to be jerks in the game. It doesn't seem like there's much of a community in the game since it's all about free for all where everybody has to fend for themselves. Can you let people you meet in the server join your crew or does it have to be set-up before playing the game?

I've said here before that I'd love something as simple as a solo-only server for people to be on even terms with others on the same server where they could just explore and have fun on their own terms for the most part and have a shot at defending themselves against attackers compared to now where solo players are going to eventually just get bullied out of the game completely every single time unless I plan on getting on at times where nobody will be on. It's cool, legit, and valid if you want that experience, but I'd bet there are a lot of people that would like something that's a bit less hostile to people that just want to chill out, explore, and have some fun. I'm coming from a point of view where this could be an amazing follow-up to Wind Waker and it can't come close to that game due to the hostile PvP being the only way to play it.

I don't know anything about voice chat with the game because I turned it off early on when my social anxiety caused me to quit the game abruptly at launch when something kept following me around the markets while mentioning my username. I don't recall there being any other way of communicating with people and haven't seen any sort of quick chat option either. I'd have figured that having plain sails would be a good way to signal to other players that I'm not a threat to anybody and that I'd like to be left alone. I don't think I've been able to finish more than a few quests due to jerks harassing me in the game and my first attempt to complete one of the story missions went horribly with no real way for me to deal with it as a solo player. I'm just supposed to take it until they get bored or scuttle the ship and try to figure out whether I want to bother with restarting the quest or moving onto some other game. If that's the experience Rare wants, then they've done a great job.

I've played a decent amount of Fallout 76 and with 24 players on a server, I haven't seen many jerks around whose sole existence is to ruin other people's fun. I did have a guy walk into my camp and try to shoot me when I was under level 5 when that's not an option, but that was it for the most part. People tend to come together for events rather than be jerks to each other.

1. SoT playerbase received a good bump lately but other than that it wasn't necessarily that large. I noticed a sharp decline in my LFG groups on off times (no new content)

2. As long as there is room on your ship you can invite the person in. It won't be seamless as they have to sorta go out and matchmake back in I believe but its possible. So if you are solo slooping and meet another solo sloop you can join up. But someone is joining someone else and whoever is the one that "leaves" will lose progress if they are on a voyage. Any physical treasure can be transfered of course. I believe Rare said they have wanted to do a way to group up on the ocean better including trading up a ship. They have mentioned potentially doing 4 person sloops before. But so far no plans.

There is an alliance system tho. Fly the friendly alliance flag and if you see another one close by, sail closer and put up the accept alliance flag and you will be teamed up. There's still friendly fire and you need to party chat or organize communication but you do share all loot and rep.

3. This has always been marketed as a social, shared world game. It's at the core of the mechanics even. The sloop came later in development when rare knew that although their vision was co-op, a solo option WAS needed. Tall Tales is a decent step in the right direction but this game will not be wind waker. There's no RPG elements or major story line. What directed missions there are in the game are largely just to give you a sense of direction and let the fun be emergent.

4. The player interactions are not always hostile. In fact I'd argue from my own experience its about 80% ignoring other players. The 20% of time you do have some form of interaction I'd say its about 50/50 if its peaceful or violent. So roughly 1 in 10 people you see will be violent. And 9/10 that encounter is justified. Loot is involved. They are taking a risk in engaging you. It's just that the bad encounters stand out more because its easier to complain than to talk about what a pleasant time you had with sailorboi69.

Especially considering you name dropped F76 because while I have not played the full game I had friends quit it due to griefers. Don't let 1% of your SoT experience sour you on the whole thing.

Because as others have said, being part of a shared world is core to the experience. If you included a peaceful only mode, thats where peaceful players would go and the normal mode would just be full of fire on sight people. You need to have a mix so every interaction can be unique.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
You have to extend the lantern out and then you'll get a prompt to light.
This has been my experience as well. The few ships I've seen have been friendly, I usually do a quick "ahoy" in the chat and keep going.
Obviously this only works as a Sloop. If you're a Galleon don't expect to be left alone.
People see you more easily and they also suspect more loot. Sloops often don't have stuff, so unless the other are really in for some small crew bullying you're mostly good to go.

If you just want to explore and do some fishing or whatnot, it does not even matter if you get attacked. Just sink, and go on with your journey.
I never understood this whole argument. Makes no sense for me.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously this only works as a Sloop. If you're a Galleon don't expect to be left alone.
People see you more easily and they also suspect more loot. Sloops often don't have stuff, so unless the other are really in for some small crew bullying you're mostly good to go.

If you just want to explore and do some fishing or whatnot, it does not even matter if you get attacked. Just sink, and go on with your journey.
I never understood this whole argument. Makes no sense for me.
I think its the opposite.

When im in a galleon, unless its another galleon or maybe brig, I don't get bothered.

A sloop, woof you are vulnerable, especially solo.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Ive stated my opinion on how the shared world of SoT is a big part of what makes it special even if that means you get shit on or trolled from time to time.

but i do think that rare should investigate ways to help players avoid grifting/trolling.
- they mentioned adding temporary invincibility after respawn, which on paper seems like it would help. is this still coming?
- the sloop is faster sailing into the wind, but not fast enough that you can outrun ships that effectively zig zag to catch what little wind they can. perhaps if sloops were even a bit more effective into the wind players at an obvious disadvantge would have an easier time escaping.
- what if you were killed by a player or sunk so many times in a given window of time that the game gave you an option to migrate servers keeping your progress as a normal migration does?

i'm sure theres other creative solutions that could both improve the experience for players AND not take away from their design.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I like the PvEvP. Just having PvE only servers exist would make any other servers even more PvP-focused, I really enjoy the tension in a PvEvP environment, and a server split would absolutely cause people to split into different communities. I don't want a server split that just causes all the passive players to leave the PvP servers, because all there will be left are PvP focused players who will attack on sight. You just won't get the same experience by joining a PvP server, I don't want a strict PvP-only server because I don't want nothing but PvP, I want PvE with the ability to attack others and be attacked. I want to protect my cargo and be apprehensive of other players, I want there to be risks to poor situational awareness. Not only would a PvE server remove the stakes and make it less boring for me, a PvP server would be way too high stakes too even try and play PvE in. There's no middle ground with a server split.

On a somewhat unrelated-but-related note, I think one of the things they should do is make wood, food, and cannon barrels float up when a sunken ship despawns so the attacker can harvest at least some resources, instead of needing to keep the enemy ship alive while repeatedly killing players to grab resources. I see people who do that because they want resources, but have to keep repeatedly killing players, which is no fun if the defending crew has no chance at defending themselves. I bet there would be less unintentional griefing if you could sink ships and still harvest resources.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I've gotten the harassment treatment nearly every time I've played the game with people chasing after me, killing me over and over again, and stranding my ship somewhere or sinking it while I'm on the death ship. It's an easy thing to say, but harder to actually avoid it unless I play in the off hours instead of when I'm more interested in it and that just makes me feel like I'm trying to find alternate ways to get home from school to avoid bullies.

1. SoT playerbase received a good bump lately but other than that it wasn't necessarily that large. I noticed a sharp decline in my LFG groups on off times (no new content)

2. As long as there is room on your ship you can invite the person in. It won't be seamless as they have to sorta go out and matchmake back in I believe but its possible. So if you are solo slooping and meet another solo sloop you can join up. But someone is joining someone else and whoever is the one that "leaves" will lose progress if they are on a voyage. Any physical treasure can be transfered of course. I believe Rare said they have wanted to do a way to group up on the ocean better including trading up a ship. They have mentioned potentially doing 4 person sloops before. But so far no plans.

There is an alliance system tho. Fly the friendly alliance flag and if you see another one close by, sail closer and put up the accept alliance flag and you will be teamed up. There's still friendly fire and you need to party chat or organize communication but you do share all loot and rep.

3. This has always been marketed as a social, shared world game. It's at the core of the mechanics even. The sloop came later in development when rare knew that although their vision was co-op, a solo option WAS needed. Tall Tales is a decent step in the right direction but this game will not be wind waker. There's no RPG elements or major story line. What directed missions there are in the game are largely just to give you a sense of direction and let the fun be emergent.

4. The player interactions are not always hostile. In fact I'd argue from my own experience its about 80% ignoring other players. The 20% of time you do have some form of interaction I'd say its about 50/50 if its peaceful or violent. So roughly 1 in 10 people you see will be violent. And 9/10 that encounter is justified. Loot is involved. They are taking a risk in engaging you. It's just that the bad encounters stand out more because its easier to complain than to talk about what a pleasant time you had with sailorboi69.

Especially considering you name dropped F76 because while I have not played the full game I had friends quit it due to griefers. Don't let 1% of your SoT experience sour you on the whole thing.

Because as others have said, being part of a shared world is core to the experience. If you included a peaceful only mode, thats where peaceful players would go and the normal mode would just be full of fire on sight people. You need to have a mix so every interaction can be unique.
2. I have no idea what a friendly alliance flag is. If that's a thing, they haven't explained it anywhere. I think I just have the basic plain flag that you get from the start since I haven't gotten much money to buy cosmetics. I'm guessing voice chat is the only way to communicate with people outside of pulling out a gun or whatever to show that you're not friendly, but I'm not going to use voice chat in this game. They should not make that the only way to do so.

3. That's fine. I'm not arguing for removal of the main modes or anything like that. That said, I'm tired of games that are designed for co-op that try to appease solo people with a half-assed means of playing their game that makes for a bad experience unless you're an expert player and Sea of Thieves is leaning in that direction. Still, I don't think a solo-only server would ruin anything about the game. It would just level the playing field.

Wind Waker isn't an RPG or anything like that either. The thing I loved about it that none of the other games in that series did was offer this fully explorable world on the open seas that I could just relax and sail around for a while to explore these different islands to see what stuff they had hidden around the world. I don't think that's all that different from what Sea of Thieves is trying to do aside from modern elements like multiplayer, standardized quests, and the cosmetics.

4. Sorry, but that's been my experience. I've had about five sessions with the game since launch and only one didn't involve griefers, which was due to me getting on in the morning on a week day when nobody was on and I got to explore and have some fun for once. Every other session ended with people chasing me down, killing me every time I spawned, and screwing around with my ship or sinking it. I don't really care about failing a quest to get a random chest because that stuff is randomly generated and filler content, but having that happen an hour into a story mission is frustrating and annoying. I don't know how 4/5 sessions is 1% of my experience.

Again, I'm not advocating for getting rid of the shared world, but more options to level the playing field with a solo-only server option for people that would like a more fair chance to play the game. I love the idea of the shared world like in other games and a lot of what else the game has to offer, but I'd like to not be in constant worry about when an enemy ship would find me and decide to go after me to make sure to end the fun I might be having. It's something like a horror game for me most of the time.

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
2. I have no idea what a friendly alliance flag is. If that's a thing, they haven't explained it anywhere. I think I just have the basic plain flag that you get from the start since I haven't gotten much money to buy cosmetics. I'm guessing voice chat is the only way to communicate with people outside of pulling out a gun or whatever to show that you're not friendly, but I'm not going to use voice chat in this game. They should not make that the only way to do so.

Go to the flag box in your crows nest. There's cosmetic flags in the first tab and alliance flag in the second. If you're near another ship with an alliance flag already raised, you'll get a join alliance flag in that box too.

Hold up on the D-Pad to bring up a quick chat text wheel. It's context sensitive depending on what you're doing. Eg if you're on a wheel you can ask for directions. If you have a sword out you can ask for a fight. If you have the speaking trumpet you can say you're friendly or ask to form an alliance.

There are options for you to communicate and play without being "griefed".

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten the harassment treatment nearly every time I've played the game with people chasing after me, killing me over and over again, and stranding my ship somewhere or sinking it while I'm on the death ship. It's an easy thing to say, but harder to actually avoid it unless I play in the off hours instead of when I'm more interested in it and that just makes me feel like I'm trying to find alternate ways to get home from school to avoid bullies.

3. That's fine. I'm not arguing for removal of the main modes or anything like that. That said, I'm tired of games that are designed for co-op that try to appease solo people with a half-assed means of playing their game that makes for a bad experience unless you're an expert player and Sea of Thieves is leaning in that direction. Still, I don't think a solo-only server would ruin anything about the game. It would just level the playing field.

Wind Waker isn't an RPG or anything like that either. The thing I loved about it that none of the other games in that series did was offer this fully explorable world on the open seas that I could just relax and sail around for a while to explore these different islands to see what stuff they had hidden around the world. I don't think that's all that different from what Sea of Thieves is trying to do aside from modern elements like multiplayer, standardized quests, and the cosmetics.

4. Sorry, but that's been my experience. I've had about five sessions with the game since launch and only one didn't involve griefers, which was due to me getting on in the morning on a week day when nobody was on and I got to explore and have some fun for once. Every other session ended with people chasing me down, killing me every time I spawned, and screwing around with my ship or sinking it. I don't really care about failing a quest to get a random chest because that stuff is randomly generated and filler content, but having that happen an hour into a story mission is frustrating and annoying. I don't know how 4/5 sessions is 1% of my experience.

Again, I'm not advocating for getting rid of the shared world, but more options to level the playing field with a solo-only server option for people that would like a more fair chance to play the game. I love the idea of the shared world like in other games and a lot of what else the game has to offer, but I'd like to not be in constant worry about when an enemy ship would find me and decide to go after me to make sure to end the fun I might be having. It's something like a horror game for me most of the time.

2. In the crows next theres a box. Select it and you see the cosmetic flags. Go to the next tab and you see the alliance flags. It's a little clunky but it works. You can try to google it to find out specifics but basically if you have the offer alliance flag (heart pendant) up and someone else sails close to you and selects the Join alliance pendant you will group up. There is a quick chat. Check your control settings. Its up or down on D pad on console I believe. Its context sensitive and there are options for saying you are friendly. If you have a speaking trumpet out it will post it in all caps and "travel" farther.

3. Unfortunately the islands themselves are pretty bland outside of tall tale objectives. You can just go from island to island and take in the looks and fight an odd skelly here and there, and maybe find some loot lying around but thats about it. It's just not the same as windwaker. Sailing around and fishing aint too bad tho.

4. I understand what you are getting at. Solo sloop only servers I think would be an ok compromise. You wouldn't even need to nerf payouts since voyages while solo are slow going enough as it is. If you want a more level playing field that is it. But I don't think it would mean that solo players would just ignore each other. In fact, if I joined a solo server and saw another sloop parked you bet your ass im seeing if they got some loot on board.

Unfortunately in this game getting your ship sunk and treasure lost is part of it. Whether its players or getting krakened/megged/skelly shipped is largely irrelevant. My first solo tall tale I got hit by a skeleton ship and meg and sank.

Probably would have fared better against an enemy player tbh

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
There are in game chat options. Up on d pad. Every single item and action has context sensitive phrases to use.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
Just completed 'Wild Rose' and 'Art of the Trickster'.

The former had an okayish story and I appreciate it for what it is. Unfortunately it's mission structure is a mish mash of earlier riddles and so didn't bring anything new to the table.

But the latter. Woah. The traps were so much fun! There's a moment halfway through the mission that is so unexpected and thrilling, and gave my entire crew the biggest laugh. Like something out of an adventure movie! Stars of a Thief and Art of the Trickster are the clear highlights of Tall Tales thus far.

Any thoughts/impressions on the last 3 Tall Tales? I'm looking forward to reaching the shores of gold

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Just completed 'Wild Rose' and 'Art of the Trickster'.

The former had an okayish story and I appreciate it for what it is. Unfortunately it's mission structure is a mish mash of earlier riddles and so didn't bring anything new to the table.

But the latter. Woah. The traps were so much fun! There's a moment halfway through the mission that is so unexpected and thrilling, and gave my entire crew the biggest laugh. Like something out of an adventure movie! Stars of a Thief and Art of the Trickster are the clear highlights of Tall Tales thus far.

Any thoughts/impressions on the last 3 Tall Tales? I'm looking forward to reaching the shores of gold

I like Fate of the Morning Star a lot, one of my favorites, and Shores of Gold is amazing.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
how long until the new voyage mechanics from the various tall tales make their way into the game? and traps?

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
how long until the new voyage mechanics from the various tall tales make their way into the game? and traps?

Hopefully never IMO. I want them to remain unique to the Tall Tales.

They'd have to come up with a ridiculous amount of variations of these puzzles and I doubt it will happen.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully never IMO. I want them to remain unique to the Tall Tales.

They'd have to come up with a ridiculous amount of variations of these puzzles and I doubt it will happen.

eh, i dunno. i'd love to see the constellation telescope used to get us to navigate from one island to another. or the goonies-esque cut out to match landmarks.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018

You're lucky. We should change accounts.
I would love to troll those harassers.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Successfully fended off a Kraken the second I left an outpost, but another sloop arrived just in time to sink me after the Kraken left so I didn't get anything from it. Fortunately I had nothing on me, so all I did was waste time on the Kraken. Made up for it later though, got 4 seafarer chests and a marauder's chest turned in all together from 3 gold hoarder's voyages. The Gold Hoarders are easily my most favorite faction right now.

When I was sailing around trying to avoid other player ships I got into a brief but VERY intense combat music phase for a couple seconds as I was passing 2 giant giant rocks that looked like it had something behind/ between them, it was very foggy so I could barely see anything, but it almost looked like a giant ship. I wonder if this could have been the ghost ship? I checked the map to make sure it wasn't an island, and it was definitely not on the map.

Rafisher

Mar 22, 2019
Great OT2! Jumped back in with a couple of friends and i have to say considering i didnt play after the closed beta, they have added a lot more content since then and I am really enjoying my return. However i just wish you could quite and come back without losing your voyages .

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
Successfully fended off a Kraken the second I left an outpost, but another sloop arrived just in time to sink me after the Kraken left so I didn't get anything from it. Fortunately I had nothing on me, so all I did was waste time on the Kraken. Made up for it later though, got 4 seafarer chests and a marauder's chest turned in all together from 3 gold hoarder's voyages. The Gold Hoarders are easily my most favorite faction right now.

When I was sailing around trying to avoid other player ships I got into a brief but VERY intense combat music phase for a couple seconds as I was passing 2 giant giant rocks that looked like it had something behind/ between them, it was very foggy so I could barely see anything, but it almost looked like a giant ship. I wonder if this could have been the ghost ship? I checked the map to make sure it wasn't an island, and it was definitely not on the map.
There are skeleton ships if that's what you're referring to. They have loads of blue and green lights on them.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
A lot of people looking for guides of the Tall Tales? Google Trends:

36ba2Dp.png

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man, Arena can be incredible amount of fun when you have a group that is all communicating.

Its too bad that is the barrier to enjoy that mode though, most people don't have 3 other friends to play this with and don't know or don't want to use LFG.

Im okay with using LFG but it would be that more enjoyable and satisfying if I could do it with my friends, unfortunately none of my friends took to this game.

My fear is that the game mode won't have legs due to the somewhat high barrier of entry

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Arena can be incredible amount of fun when you have a group that is all communicating.

Its too bad that is the barrier to enjoy that mode though, most people don't have 3 other friends to play this with and don't know or don't want to use LFG.

Im okay with using LFG but it would be that more enjoyable and satisfying if I could do it with my friends, unfortunately none of my friends took to this game.

My fear is that the game mode won't have legs due to the somewhat high barrier of entry

I haven't tried arena yet but if we can get a couple of people from here to join us I'd be glad to try it with you. My brother and I have the same problem where we don't have a regular 4 man crew

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This unfortunately is a recurring problem for SoT which doesn't really have an easy fix without compromising a lot of what makes the game great.

From the beginning it was clear this game was meant to be played in a group, and while possible solo, it certainly flows better with a group. Many games have this same issue. The difference is they either give you AI teammates, or the activities are simple enough that matchmaking gets the job done.

SoT however, has very conscious design decisions to make even simple acts like sailing the ship require decent communication. The chat wheel is a band aid. This is not really a game meant for people with social anxiety.

To compound this issue, doing just about anything in this world to progress takes a good amount of time. It isn't really a jump in for a 20 minute adventure and jump out kinda thing. Even 1 hour feels like barely enough time. Setting a stop time for yourself is a fools errand in this game because its not like missions are always neatly 15 minutes long. I've wanted to finish an Athena session by 1am before but ended up finishing closer to 3:30 because we would run into other pirates.

This is kind of misleading because the game has no RPG elements, no meaninful loot to chase. A Day 1 player is just as capable as a Lvl 10 pirate legend. Mechanics are simple. Combat is simple. And yet it does feel like more of a hardcore game just due to the time commitment.

I had an hour to kill before dinner but I knew I probably wouldn't be able to complete a tall tale before that so I played Rocket League instead.

It's been probably my biggest complaint about the game but there honestly isn't much you can do to change that.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This unfortunately is a recurring problem for SoT which doesn't really have an easy fix without compromising a lot of what makes the game great.

From the beginning it was clear this game was meant to be played in a group, and while possible solo, it certainly flows better with a group. Many games have this same issue. The difference is they either give you AI teammates, or the activities are simple enough that matchmaking gets the job done.

SoT however, has very conscious design decisions to make even simple acts like sailing the ship require decent communication. The chat wheel is a band aid. This is not really a game meant for people with social anxiety.

To compound this issue, doing just about anything in this world to progress takes a good amount of time. It isn't really a jump in for a 20 minute adventure and jump out kinda thing. Even 1 hour feels like barely enough time. Setting a stop time for yourself is a fools errand in this game because its not like missions are always neatly 15 minutes long. I've wanted to finish an Athena session by 1am before but ended up finishing closer to 3:30 because we would run into other pirates.

This is kind of misleading because the game has no RPG elements, no meaninful loot to chase. A Day 1 player is just as capable as a Lvl 10 pirate legend. Mechanics are simple. Combat is simple. And yet it does feel like more of a hardcore game just due to the time commitment.

I had an hour to kill before dinner but I knew I probably wouldn't be able to complete a tall tale before that so I played Rocket League instead.

It's been probably my biggest complaint about the game but there honestly isn't much you can do to change that.

This is why I fell off of it completely, you couldn't accomplish much without investing at least a couple hours into the game and even after all the updates I still feel like that holds true.

The exception now is arena, I had only about 45 -60min last night to play and so doing adventure/tall tales was out of the question. I managed to sneak a couple rounds of Arena, improved my arena rank a bunch and earned about 10000 gold in that time which was kind of perfect.

But this goes back to my original point, the only reason that was fun and enjoyable was because I managed to find a decent group right away using LFG. Matchmaking is a total shitshow for Arena from what I've played, because its not that straightforward of a game mode and without mics everyone seems to have different ideas of where we should go.

The barrier to play a few quick rounds is too high and there doesn't really seem to be an apparent solution other than maybe forcing people to use mics?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I fell off of it completely, you couldn't accomplish much without investing at least a couple hours into the game and even after all the updates I still feel like that holds true.

The exception now is arena, I had only about 45 -60min last night to play and so doing adventure/tall tales was out of the question. I managed to sneak a couple rounds of Arena, improved my arena rank a bunch and earned about 10000 gold in that time which was kind of perfect.

But this goes back to my original point, the only reason that was fun and enjoyable was because I managed to find a decent group right away using LFG. Matchmaking is a total shitshow for Arena from what I've played, because its not that straightforward of a game mode and without mics everyone seems to have different ideas of where we should go.

The barrier to play a few quick rounds is too high and there doesn't really seem to be an apparent solution other than maybe forcing people to use mics?
Not sure if there is a way to force mics.

Besides some people are adamant about playing without voice chat and you do run into disability issues. Rare has even said that sometimes you just aren't able to talk (baby sleeping or something) and thats why there is a chat wheel. I'd argue that you should play another game but whatever. A warning would at least be nice. USE A MIC FOR BEST EXPERIENCE.

Also, a way to match solo queue pirates with other ones. Or a duos sloop mode (I think Arena would not work with solo sloops only)

Luckily, Xbox has a built in LFG feature and if you are playing on PC its easy to find either the official discord or a community one.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

Besides some people are adamant about playing without voice chat and you do run into disability issues. Rare has even said that sometimes you just aren't able to talk (baby sleeping or something) and thats why there is a chat wheel. I'd argue that you should play another game but whatever. A warning would at least be nice. USE A MIC FOR BEST EXPERIENCE.

Also, a way to match solo queue pirates with other ones. Or a duos sloop mode (I think Arena would not work with solo sloops only)

Luckily, Xbox has a built in LFG feature and if you are playing on PC its easy to find either the official discord or a community one.

This used to be a thing, not noticed it remaining/leaving the main menu. They said mics on, no parties = best experience.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

LFG works on PC too through the Xbox App.

I tried Discord and this site but LFG was by far the easiest and best way to quickly find groups for this game. I'd probably have dropped this game shortly after release and never returned to it if it wasn't for LFG and I don't think this game would have had the same level of success without this feature.

Im wondering if maybe the solution is to tie matchmaking in with LFG to ensure you are matching up with groups that have a similar focus.

Ie. when you select matchmaking instead of automatically loading into a game with randoms, they should bring up a refined version of the LFG list with crew descriptions/goals/missions/mic requirements etc.. and let you just select which crew you want to join from there.

It would involve totally re-thinking and re-doing Matchmaking but it would do wonders towards making this game more appealing to a broader audience. Given how many MP GAAS games there are if done right it could be potentially game changing.

This game is so unique, innovative, and fun its actually quite a shame that a lot of people cant enjoy it as its intended to be enjoyed because they dont have 3 friends or don't quite know or understand ways to find groups outside of the game.

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LFG works on PC too through the Xbox App.

I tried Discord and this site but LFG was by far the easiest and best way to quickly find groups for this game. I'd probably have dropped this game shortly after release and never returned to it if it wasn't for LFG and I don't think this game would have had the same level of success without this feature.

Im wondering if maybe the solution is to tie matchmaking in with LFG to ensure you are matching up with groups that have a similar focus.

Ie. when you select matchmaking instead of automatically loading into a game with randoms, they should bring up a refined version of the LFG list with crew descriptions/goals/missions/mic requirements etc.. and let you just select which crew you want to join from there.

It would involve totally re-thinking and re-doing Matchmaking but it would do wonders towards making this game more appealing to a broader audience. Given how many MP GAAS games there are if done right it could be potentially game changing.

This game is so unique, innovative, and fun its actually quite a shame that a lot of people cant enjoy it as its intended to be enjoyed because they dont have 3 friends or don't quite know or understand ways to find groups outside of the game.
Yeah, I can't think of a dev that has really gotten matchmaking down for games like these. Lots of these shared world games are just begging for more integrated LFG systems.

Menu should go

Sloop, Brig, Galleon
Open or Closed
(if open)
Athena Voyages
Gold Hoarder
Merchant
Order of Souls
Bilge Rat
Tall Tales (sub menu for what tale)
Hunters Call
Variety

Or perhaps something of a server list could be done. At the very least, they should push you to use the Xbox LFG feature.

Brig and Duo Sloop variants.

More modes. IE Merchant variant, Order of Souls variant (would be cool shelling skeletons from your ship)

Some kind of team variant where you have multiple ships on your team. Perhaps a CTF or "oddball" mode would benefit from this.

A Battle Royale Mode also seems like a no brainer. Everyone starts at a different outpost. Devils shroud wall encroaches. Loot up your ship. Last crew standing wins. Respawns enabeld as long as your ship is alive. Once your ship has sunk no respawns.

Last edited:

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
Got a bone to pick with Rare about Briggsy
My crew of 3 spent at least two hours last night fighting Briggsy. So many kegs, gunshots, cannonballs, sword slashes, we tried everything from harpooning her to splashing her with buckets, every now and then she'd try to eat a banana and we'd interrupt her, then she'd wail and we'd think we made progress, but she would never, ever die. I resorted to Google to see what we were doing wrong and some people say it only takes one cannonball, others say one keg, others say 20 minutes of fighting. I can only assume our Briggsy was glitched. I've been playing since launch, I've solo'd skelly forts and krakens and Megs, I've never had as frustrating a session. My crewmates finally had to go to sleep so we just quit :'( I hope the next time we load it up she is a bit easier.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
So, Rare has external teams working on the game. At E3 they will tease the next update, but there won't be a lot of information there. Joe Neate said ''We are still in such an early stage for Sea of Thieves in term of our life as a service and in terms what this game can become.''

Oct 29, 2017
A Battle Royale Mode also seems like a no brainer. Everyone starts at a different outpost. Devils shroud wall encroaches. Loot up your ship. Last crew standing wins. Respawns enabeld as long as your ship is alive. Once your ship has sunk no respawns.

Fuck me.

All this gen the closest I got to BR is 20 hours of apex.

I could play this for decades.

Rare! Do this!

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Got a bone to pick with Rare about Briggsy
My crew of 3 spent at least two hours last night fighting Briggsy. So many kegs, gunshots, cannonballs, sword slashes, we tried everything from harpooning her to splashing her with buckets, every now and then she'd try to eat a banana and we'd interrupt her, then she'd wail and we'd think we made progress, but she would never, ever die. I resorted to Google to see what we were doing wrong and some people say it only takes one cannonball, others say one keg, others say 20 minutes of fighting. I can only assume our Briggsy was glitched. I've been playing since launch, I've solo'd skelly forts and krakens and Megs, I've never had as frustrating a session. My crewmates finally had to go to sleep so we just quit :'( I hope the next time we load it up she is a bit easier.

Had a similar issue, fought her for probably 45 minutes before she eventually died. It was cool until then. I'm still not quite sure what triggered it, when I killed her it was just me by myself wacking her with me sword.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Found out today that shipwrecks will restock their barrels once a day, so I spent hours untouched at an out of the way shipwreck north of Smuggler's Bay just fishing for wreckers and whatever the shipwreck provided. Ended with 3 barrelpages of fish including a Muddy wildsplash

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
So, Rare has external teams working on the game. At E3 they will tease the next update, but there won't be a lot of information there. Joe Neate said ''We are still in such an early stage for Sea of Thieves in term of our life as a service and in terms what this game can become.''
E3 hype, yes please.

OP
OP
Sikamikanico

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/8/18537162/sea-of-thieves-arena-pvp-review

Agree with Polygon's review. Arena is still a little rough. But I'm very optimistic about it, as Rare has said they are going to take Arena through the same kind of journey that has happened to Adventure.

Can't help but agree. I love Arena, but it absolutely is a full crew experience. Matchmade randoms seldom stand a chance agaisnt a full communicative crew.

Still, a proper BR mode 20 ships across the full map, that consistently shrinks? Hull armour pickups? Cursed cannon balls? Yes please.

CTF? Sloop Arena with 20 crews of 2?

Limitless possibilities...