• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Reading up on the patch notes and

Fort of the Damned Key – The Fort of the Damned Key will now be tracked on the map for all players to see.

C'mon Rare, the FoTD is such an amazing addition for betrayal and fuckery, don't bog it down. lol

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Reading up on the patch notes and

C'mon Rare, the FoTD is such an amazing addition for betrayal and fuckery, don't bog it down. lol

At least this will cut down on the many streams I've seen where a crew gets ambushed after completing the fort and the aggressors aren't able to ever find the key and eventually server hop after an hour of searching every nook of the fort.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should be on a timer or something. Where after it is dropped, it will appear on the map in 10-15 minutes.

By the way, I posted this in the other SoT thread.

I am still very against the idea of private or non-pvp servers. I think its 100% against the spirit of the game. That being said.... I do think a separate experience for solo players could be beneficial. What I mean by that is during the main screen, you should be able to select if you want a permanently closed crew and join a server comprised of ONLY other solo sloopers. In this instance of the game, the voyages and other aspects are tuned to be for solo friendly.

Less skeletons, quicker dig ups, sloop skelly ships, megs/krakens tuned to be more solo friendly. Besides other crews, the worst part of being solo is how long things take to do while alone and how annoying AI adversaries can be since they are tuned for a crew experience. The game already SORT OF does this. ie the gold hoarder will be easier to kill and chests easier to dig up solo.

This also means that every other ship you find is a solo player. Which would mean its a fair fight. It would also mean its easier to team up. Maybe you make a friend playing solo and decide to team up in the main servers.

This would also mean that in the main game, you can expect 2 players (barring some brave soul) on sloops. They are no longer free kills.

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
any impressions from the new tall tale? does it bring about new gameplay or is it more of a gameplay extension of the last (which is still fine with me btw)?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
any impressions from the new tall tale? does it bring about new gameplay or is it more of a gameplay extension of the last (which is still fine with me btw)?

Well.....

It may uhh....

reuse a mechanic from another Tall Tale

You literally go around finding the ghosts of ships/people with that same magic lantern

EDIT: Some of these QoL changes are sweet.

Collector chests will always have loot in them (unless they were looted by another player)
Riddle Quests give collector chests on completion with multiple loot items on board (finally incentivizing riddles)
Portable Ammo Chest
Campfires can be built on islands (helpful for leveling Hunters Call)

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Well.....

It may uhh....

reuse a mechanic from another Tall Tale

You literally go around finding the ghosts of ships/people with that same magic lantern

EDIT: Some of these QoL changes are sweet.

Collector chests will always have loot in them (unless they were looted by another player)
Riddle Quests give collector chests on completion with multiple loot items on board (finally incentivizing riddles)
Portable Ammo Chest
Campfires can be built on islands (helpful for leveling Hunters Call)

how many tall tale "tales" or voyages are there? is it a simialr amount to the anniversary - or are we talking ONE single tall tale voyage?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
how many tall tale "tales" or voyages are there? is it a simialr amount to the anniversary - or are we talking ONE single tall tale voyage?
Its one tall tale I think they intend to build on episodically instead of a big all at once dump like anniversary. The tall tale ends with
your pirate reawakening Captain Flameheart
so its not a one and done story

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Its one tall tale I think they intend to build on episodically instead of a big all at once dump like anniversary. The tall tale ends with
your pirate reawakening Captain Flameheart
so its not a one and done story

thats hugely disappointing. guess i'll sign on for the first time in months to sail for a few hours and put down the pad again. damn.

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
Went back yesterday and had a blast. The new voyage is awesome (though I'm one of those who never got bored of the OoS/Hoarder missions), fire bombs are crazy and the little QoL updates are really nice to have. This is the game that I always keep installed and get back from time to time.
One question: is it worth using fire bombs on skeleton ships? As far as I understand they're mainly anti-personel type so I'm not sure if they're any good with AI enemies...

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played in a while and the new update is pretty interesting, for some reason it didn't even occur to me that fire wasn't a ship hazard before. Portable ammo box and craftable campfires also look very neat.

I mainly played solo and haven't touched Tall Tales yet, would it be really difficult as a solo player to finish a Tall Tale? I might jump back in later and try it out once I get some sleep.

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
I haven't played in a while and the new update is pretty interesting, for some reason it didn't even occur to me that fire wasn't a ship hazard before. Portable ammo box and craftable campfires also look very neat.

I mainly played solo and haven't touched Tall Tales yet, would it be really difficult as a solo player to finish a Tall Tale? I might jump back in later and try it out once I get some sleep.

I've done almost all of the Tall Tales solo. They're not that hard to do, the danger comes from the usual "piratey" things (you doing your thing on an island then a galleon comes, sinks your ship and takes everything) and of course it's better to work on the puzzles with more people.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I've done almost all of the Tall Tales solo. They're not that hard to do, the danger comes from the usual "piratey" things (you doing your thing on an island then a galleon comes, sinks your ship and takes everything) and of course it's better to work on the puzzles with more people.
Ok cool, I'll probably check it out in a bit then!

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
At least this will cut down on the many streams I've seen where a crew gets ambushed after completing the fort and the aggressors aren't able to ever find the key and eventually server hop after an hour of searching every nook of the fort.

Well, fair enough. Despite having a blast in a situation like that in the past (the other crew stole the key and went to the Shores of Gold, which none of us had access to), I suppose it has led to more frustration than excitement in other occasions.

Also PSA:

Dying from fire gives you the red lantern.

Goodbye, Devil's Roar!

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thats hugely disappointing. guess i'll sign on for the first time in months to sail for a few hours and put down the pad again. damn.

I think expecting a huge campaign dump like that would be unrealistic. Anniversary updates in every game are meaty big overhauls. Anniversary was basically what Taken King or Forsaken are to Destiny.

That being said, I do agree a sort of one and done one is a bit underwhelming. I'd almost rather get like a little trilogy at once, or at the very least, stagger the releases by a week so it feels kind of episodic. We know we are getting more and they have said that they view tall tales as a platform for more content/gameplay releases.

My worry is that this tall tale largely didn't introduce any new mechanics. It also took probably the more simple mechanics from the old ones. Makes me wonder how time intensive these things are to make.

But at the end of the day, this is a sandbox game, so if you're looking for something more substation than new toys and twists on gameplay with each monthly update you're gonna be disappointed.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I think expecting a huge campaign dump like that would be unrealistic. Anniversary updates in every game are meaty big overhauls. Anniversary was basically what Taken King or Forsaken are to Destiny.

That being said, I do agree a sort of one and done one is a bit underwhelming. I'd almost rather get like a little trilogy at once, or at the very least, stagger the releases by a week so it feels kind of episodic. We know we are getting more and they have said that they view tall tales as a platform for more content/gameplay releases.

My worry is that this tall tale largely didn't introduce any new mechanics. It also took probably the more simple mechanics from the old ones. Makes me wonder how time intensive these things are to make.

But at the end of the day, this is a sandbox game, so if you're looking for something more substation than new toys and twists on gameplay with each monthly update you're gonna be disappointed.

if they (tall tales) come out monthly, i'd be fine. my worry is that the anniversary update was like 7 months ago and, like you point out, we got one tale that recycles gameplay.

to your last point, i agree. frankly if i never pick up the controller again that still won't change the fact that i enjoyed the piss out of this game for probably hundreds of hours and will always look back on it fondly as an utterly unique and amazing experience. but i do hope my time isnt done and there is more, better, reasons to return.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Do you think they'll have to tone down the fire? I can't imagine how hellish being in the Devil's Roar gets now.
If you're quick to put out the fire, it won't spread right away. We did a test with a few and they stay pretty self contained for probably over 5 minutes. If a crew member or other player walks into the fire and spreads it, or you're under a constant bombardment, it may be really bad. But one hit from a volcano chunk shouldn't be enough to fully sink the boat.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if they (tall tales) come out monthly, i'd be fine. my worry is that the anniversary update was like 7 months ago and, like you point out, we got one tale that recycles gameplay.

to your last point, i agree. frankly if i never pick up the controller again that still won't change the fact that i enjoyed the piss out of this game for probably hundreds of hours and will always look back on it fondly as an utterly unique and amazing experience. but i do hope my time isnt done and there is more, better, reasons to return.
To me, it's a game where I will (sometimes) log in periodically to check out the new stuff. If I like the cosmetic rewards I'll grind it out. If not I will do the new bilge rat flavor of the month and put it down again.

Nothing wrong with that either. Not every game needs to be your end all be all, this is all I play etc.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Got around to doing the very first Shroudbreaker part of the Tall Tale, that was alot of fun! Although it took alot longer cause I had a Brig tailing me forever. Thankfully someone I alliance'd up with earlier in the session helped be my bodyguard and drove the Brig away. I immediately went against the wind in my sloop but I was already at the edge of the map and had to mindgame the Brig by making some sharp turns by islands and rocks that they had to stop to get around and they eventually got bored and left. I tried to take potshots when I thought they were close enough but I overestimated how far cannonballs go.

Also the puzzle room with the rising waters actually made me panic after how much time I would have lost, but got it done right before the water reached the ceiling.

I also read in update notes that riddle voyages now reward container boxes with gold and shinies, and thank god for that change. It sucks how inefficient they were from X Marks The Spot voyages before despite being my favorite gold hoarder missions, hopefully they won't be as bad when you don't wanna fish for multi-chest voyages now.

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
I'm amazed how the amount of loot changed vs the start of the game. I remember cheering when we found a captain's chest or a villainous skull. Now? I go to an island, there's a captain or an ashen guardian there with high value skulls, keys and chests. There are gems in nearly all the shipwrecks I find, there are merchant cases on almost every second island.
It's not a bad thing, it really isn't, I'm just thinking how much easier for the newbies today to climb the ranks than it was for us at the beginning. I know it took about a year for me to reach pirate legend, I doubt it takes more than 1-2 months for anyone joining now.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
OK so I just installed this and run my first intro quest for Chicken Isle. I've played the beta way back, so I'm not unfamiliar with the game and how it works, but I just cannot find the chest for love nor money, adn gave up after a couple hours of demoralising spadework. Now, I have found a new treasure map in a barrell on the island (and yes, it is the right island because it says so on the map and there are chickens running around on it),. but i'm not sure if that's the treasure, or related to it in some way?

I admit, I was a bit tired and coming down with a cold to concentrate properly last night, but I don't recall having this much trouble digging up chests and map reading during my time with the beta. I wouldn't like to start this game cold as a total noob. The tutorials are scant (are they a menu toggle?) and the signage you get (go put on your new outfit at the fashion shop, for example) is pretty obtuse.

I suppose I'll have a dram and another go tonight and find out I was being stupid, but I believe I was doing everything right.

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I decided after my play session to just run into the new Ashen Skeleton ship event to check it out before I logged off and wow, the atmosphere is stunning. Not sure if I had a happy coincidence or the storm always turns dark as night, but the rainstorm, Skeleton ship lights glinting off all the wet surfaces, and battle music as I poorly attempted to duke it out with a Skeleton Galleon was insanely atmospheric and immersive. Sadly I sunk very quickly after ramming my ship into literally everything, even another player sloop. I doubt I can do that on a solo Sloop while I'm still learning the ropes but it was still amazing just to see it in action.

I'm amazed how the amount of loot changed vs the start of the game. I remember cheering when we found a captain's chest or a villainous skull. Now? I go to an island, there's a captain or an ashen guardian there with high value skulls, keys and chests. There are gems in nearly all the shipwrecks I find, there are merchant cases on almost every second island.
It's not a bad thing, it really isn't, I'm just thinking how much easier for the newbies today to climb the ranks than it was for us at the beginning. I know it took about a year for me to reach pirate legend, I doubt it takes more than 1-2 months for anyone joining now.
I took one Gold Hoarders mission today that happened to be a 3-chest treasure map, and through a variety of antics on the way back (4 outposts I was heading to all had ships parked there ._. ) I took like 3x-4x the loot back than I had originally planned to take after I stopped by a couple enticing shipwrecks, random treasure spawns on shorelines, and finally killed and looted my first Meg without it running away like a bitch. I thought it would be a quick 30 minute ordeal at like 2 am...I finally cashed in at like 4 am, about an hour and 20 minutes ago as I'm typing this. Although a couple of those were castaway chests with sold for a measly 100 gold. I have a feeling that playing a solo sloop still won't be that lucrative, unless the voyage rewards get a LOT better at higher rankings. I also haven't done any Skeleton Forts, which I just told myself I'll do the next time I play cause there's no harm in trying them out if I have no loot on board, even if I fail and get looted by another player.

For reference, I bought the game right around the Anniversary update and played for like a week, I just came back in the past day and I'm above rank 20 in Gold Hoarders at the moment (my favorite faction voyages so far). This was all solo, except for like 3 hours with my girlfriend when she was trialing Gamepass back when I first bought the game.

After trying the beta a long time ago I'm really happy how far this game has come. Even as a solo player this game is a hell of alot of fun whenever I have the itch for it. Trying to convince my friends to play hasn't been working out though, lol.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The amount of loot really is incredible. It's also great from a PvP aspect since the likelihood of an enemy ship having loot is high. I remember when the game launched it still took like 2 weeks or more to reach the first pirate legend? Could be mistaken. But it was a race largely between only 2 people who were grinding forts. Prodigy then ended up winning by cheesing his way to Pirate Legend by basically recruiting other people from his community to grind forts on their own server and he would just hop into their crew right when they were ready to turn in. The tuning for EXP to get to PL was absolutely nuts at launch. I only managed to hit PL when they added the doubloon rank up packs. It's now so easy to hit PL i really hope they add more PL exclusive stuff since PL is fairly underwhelming... it being the "goal" of the game and all. Captaincy update pls.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
OK, so I'm done this game.

Booted it up, game loaded me up on the start outpost - without the chicken isle quest. Weird, I'm pretty sure I had accepted it. No, it turns out I had to vote for it to make it active, and maybe that's why the chest wasn't appearing after i'd shovelled a whole new island looking for it last night. No problem! I'll just go do all that again because I want to give this game a chance. So, I explicitly vote for said quest on the table in the boat and sail back to the isle and there it is on the beach! I didn't even have to dig the chest up - right where the X marked the spot, too. Though it had changed places since last night. no bother. This intro quest was probably bugged.

So, I pick up this chest and take it back on board, then ferry it back to the outpost. Where a couple of dudes are waiting on the shoreline. Cool, these must be members of this game's fantastic community I have heard so much about. Except they aren't And they kill me repeatedly for about ten minutes until they lose interest in me and my inability to aim with the awful ADS, to set fire to my ship. Mercifully however, I am shot again and respawn on a totally different island with my ship (and the chest) waiting for me on the shore. Phew! So, I pick up the chest again, go back, circle the outpost to make sure no-one's there waiting for me, sneak ashore with the chest and take it to the hoarder guy in the tent.

Except he doesn't recognise my efforts, or give me any prompt to complete the quest. Probably because this is a 'collector's chest'? I dump it at his feet, open it ... and it's empty? At this point, I'm ready to give up, but fuck it - there must be something I'm doing wrong! Surely the game wouldn't be this fucked up from the start, right? So, I go back to Chicken Isle to the X on the map and do some digging again.

f7a0ed89-c1a5-442f-beb0-a7659c08e3ca.PNG

except that didn't go too well. The X is definitely right there in front of me ... somewhere. So I dig for another ten minutes. Does it take two digs on the same spot to unearth a chest? Does it only take one? Is the quest still bugged? Am I even on the correct Island? Does anyone care? Do I care about this shit?

I check this thread again. No, no-one gives a shit. Fair enough.

I'm glad people have fun with this game, and having read some previous posts you guys actually think the game is easy for new players to get into and advance. However, as a new player, I would very much disagree. It's extremely opaque. And i'm not even that new.

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
OK, so I'm done this game.

Booted it up, game loaded me up on the start outpost - without the chicken isle quest. Weird, I'm pretty sure I had accepted it. No, it turns out I had to vote for it to make it active, and maybe that's why the chest wasn't appearing after i'd shovelled a whole new island looking for it last night. No problem! I'll just go do all that again because I want to give this game a chance. So, I explicitly vote for said quest on the table in the boat and sail back to the isle and there it is on the beach! I didn't even have to dig the chest up - right where the X marked the spot, too. Though it had changed places since last night. no bother. This intro quest was probably bugged.

So, I pick up this chest and take it back on board, then ferry it back to the outpost. Where a couple of dudes are waiting on the shoreline. Cool, these must be members of this game's fantastic community I have heard so much about. Except they aren't And they kill me repeatedly for about ten minutes until they lose interest in me and my inability to aim with the awful ADS, to set fire to my ship. Mercifully however, I am shot again and respawn on a totally different island with my ship (and the chest) waiting for me on the shore. Phew! So, I pick up the chest again, go back, circle the outpost to make sure no-one's there waiting for me, sneak ashore with the chest and take it to the hoarder guy in the tent.

Except he doesn't recognise my efforts, or give me any prompt to complete the quest. Probably because this is a 'collector's chest'? I dump it at his feet, open it ... and it's empty? At this point, I'm ready to give up, but fuck it - there must be something I'm doing wrong! Surely the game wouldn't be this fucked up from the start, right? So, I go back to Chicken Isle to the X on the map and do some digging again.

f7a0ed89-c1a5-442f-beb0-a7659c08e3ca.PNG

except that didn't go too well. The X is definitely right there in front of me ... somewhere. So I dig for another ten minutes. Does it take two digs on the same spot to unearth a chest? Does it only take one? Is the quest still bugged? Am I even on the correct Island? Does anyone care? Do I care about this shit?

I check this thread again. No, no-one gives a shit. Fair enough.

I'm glad people have fun with this game, and having read some previous posts you guys actually think the game is easy for new players to get into and advance. However, as a new player, I would very much disagree. It's extremely opaque. And i'm not even that new.

I honestly don't understand how you're having so many problems. The game is very simple at its core.

Chests you find on beaches are not your voyage chests. They're just random spawns for extra loot. If you still have a map in your RB voyage wheel then you still have a mission.

Collectors chest are clearly labelled when you interact with them. They say you can open them. The latest update has made it so there's items in them. I can only assume you found somebody's disgarded chest.

Voyages don't persist between sessions. If you start a voyage by accepting it on the table then log off. Next time you log on the voyage will have gone. You need to start a new voyage and they can be purchased from any of the traders. As you say, you need to put it on the table in the ship then vote for it to become active. This will give you a map/riddle/bounty etc in your RB wheel.

Do you still even have the chicken isle quest? Is it in your RB list still? Are you sure it's chicken isle? Have you checked the map table on your ship and mapped the shape of the island? Have you used the compass to make sure you're on the right side? Chests only take one tap of the shovel to discover but can take multiple to dig up.

The community is hit or miss. It's a game about pirates. Pirates steal treasure. If you see people at an outpost and you think it's a good idea to walk up to them holding a chest...that's on you. Mark it is a learning experience (which it seems you did as you scouted around next time).

My advice is use the LFG feature and join a group willing to teach you. It's also more fun with others.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Very much agree with everything that Johnohno posted.

Playing solo is hard - that's been the message throughout the two OTs. And the game does not teach you much through tutorial - you have to pick it up as you go and be open to that experience (in part because no one session is gonna be exactly the same as one previous).

Couple things here. Before you arrive at an outpost, use your spyglass to see if there is another ship already there. If one is, you may want to choose a different outpost - there are 6 in the standard area of the map; 2 per region. You can turn in treasure at any outpost. If you did not attempt communication with the pirates who were at the island to state you were friendly and parked near them or ran past them it's not a shocker that they opened fire. Also, if you are getting killed repeatedly, you can scuttle your ship to respawn at a new island. Hit start, go to My Crew, select Scuttle. Your existing ship insta-sinks at that point and you respawn somewhere else on the same server. Either take a mermaid to its location or return from the ferry of the damned and you'll be brought there. When you respawned on a new island it's because your old ship sank - leaving any treasure you had aboard behind. (Or you can leave the game and restart which will place you on a different server.)

As mentioned above, the chest you found on your new island was not related to any treasure you had before. Islands can have treasure washed ashore on them - that is not from a voyage. Merchant crates, collector chests, gunpowder barrels, mermaid gems - lots of different types of treasure can be on islands for you to find and cash in. Most collector chests have treasure inside them. If you found an empty, you likely found one someone already looted.

I agree. It is very opaque. And the game is not kind to new players (especially solo ones) as you are set on a populated server for your initial voyages and anything can happen to you at that point. I hope you give the game another go (and if you need a sailing partner please hit me up - my gamertag is the same as my name here). If you do, also realize that many times while playing this game you will have to take the L and lose treasure. But the fun of the game is sailing and not knowing what the crew on the horizon is going to do next or what AI threat might pop up that you'll have to deal with AT THE SAME TIME as another crew. It's a game with some amazing highs and amazing lows.

I've spent more than 2,000 hours playing this. Probably more than any game in my life. I still get boarded, shot at, killed, and lose all my treasure and an entire night's progress plenty. But the mystery of what's gonna happen in any new session keeps me coming back.

Last edited:

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
Just finished the new Tall Tale and it was amazing! Yeah, kind of the same mechanic like one of the older TTs but in a new way and that music and sights and happenings and ENDING! Loved every part of it!

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Very much agree with everything that Johnohno posted.
Thanks. I did try it again and I'm glad to say I went with an open crew instead of closed, and received a communicative crewmate from PC, who helped me through the intro stuff and a lot more besides. As for the intro hoarder missions - i'm pretty sure the chicken isle one was bugged. The first time I tried it with a crewmate I hit the chest with my first shovel strike.

I guess I got this game by the wrong end of the peg leg; I came into it with an idea of leisurely sailing to desert islands solo and taking the game and its sights in at my own pace. But I see now that's not really how it works.

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks. I did try it again and I'm glad to say I went with an open crew instead of closed, and received a communicative crewmate from PC, who helped me through the intro stuff and a lot more besides. As for the intro hoarder missions - i'm pretty sure the chicken isle one was bugged. The first time I tried it with a crewmate I hit the chest with my first shovel strike.

I guess I got this game by the wrong end of the peg leg; I came into it with an idea of leisurely sailing to desert islands solo and taking the game and its sights in at my own pace. But I see now that's not really how it works.

Glad you managed to do it. Shame the bug soured your first experience of the game :(

With regards to your second point, I think that's one of the beauties of the game. Some sessions you can go about leisurely sailing without bumping into anyone whereas some sessions you get constantly hounded by pesky thieves!

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Some sessions you can go about leisurely sailing without bumping into anyone whereas some sessions you get constantly hounded by pesky thieves!
Indeed, for the MMOs that i've played, I've kind of expected a bit more in terms of tutorials. People have written multiple paragraphs on this page explaining these things to me, while it should have been Rare's job to make them part of the introductory quests. Anyway, I got there in the end.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Some very cool Twitch Prime loot just went live for the game. Includes a purple monkey, an emotes pack, sails, flag, hull, and figurehead.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My Sea of Thieves tabletop RPG set just got shipped... interested for it to arrive so I can take a good look!

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
I have this issue again when all my weapons and equipment reverts back to some older state whenever I log in (so even if I use a flintlock before logging out, next time I'll have the blunderbuss in my inventory). Wasn't this solved some time ago? Is there a fix for it?

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I have this issue again when all my weapons and equipment reverts back to some older state whenever I log in (so even if I use a flintlock before logging out, next time I'll have the blunderbuss in my inventory). Wasn't this solved some time ago? Is there a fix for it?

It's not fixed yet - they're still working on it. I've got the same issue. All my equipment reverts to the Obsidian/Onyx sets when starting a new session.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Of course I bought the sails but I think they missed the catch that a Black Friday "sale" is assumed to be at a discount. Possible cultural difference or miscommunication I don't know but it is a very strange thing to do.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had a pretty fun ashen fleet game. I joined a pretty well stocked sloop. I still need to sell Ashen Tome 1 and was playing with a rich ass PL so we only wanted the ahsen loot.

There's 2 sloops already fighting the ashen fleet. We put our alliance flag up. One of the sloops is completely on fire with its mast down. Looks like its donezo. The other one leaves the area, I assume to repair and recover. We end up taking down the skelly galleon and sloop. They never joined our alliance but the other sloop never fired at us during the fight so we thought they were cool. They weren't. They start laying into us but my crewmate kept them at bay while I picked up all the ashen chests. We left and they didn't chase. Likely wanted to pick up the rest of the loot.

And then we saw another skeleton sloop + meg pop up as they were looting. We looped around to an island with an ashen key quest on and we notice that they fkn sank lmao.

Love karma.

Other notes: I think fire needs some work. Pouring water on it does not seem consistent and I do not like the idea of your character catching fire so easily. I know its a cartoon pirate game but its odd I can walk over a bit of fire and now my entire character is on fire until I put it out.

I'd rather it just do DoT when you're in it unless you're in it for x amount of seconds and then it catches on your permanently. If you are hit with the firebomb you also catch permanently. Perhaps there could be a VFX difference between taking fire damage and being ON fire too.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017

I'm glad you stuck with it. I hope the game ends up clicking for you -- it's wonderful. :)

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's actually insane how loot friendly the game is now.

You can start some gold hoarder voyages and along the way find collector chests and other island loot, message in bottles, ashen guardians/keymasters, floating loot, shipwrecks, mermaids etc.

I think there is generally one piece of loot on average per island.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually insane how loot friendly the game is now.

You can start some gold hoarder voyages and along the way find collector chests and other island loot, message in bottles, ashen guardians/keymasters, floating loot, shipwrecks, mermaids etc.

I think there is generally one piece of loot on average per island.
This is what happened to me after the update

Gonna just get 2 gold hoarder voyages done...oops I have a small fortune under my deck now and I've played 2 hours more than I was expecting to

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
So uh

Is there any situation in which the FoTD spawns with no loot?

I booted on open crew tonight just to play a little bit, and got matched with a player who was doing the FoTD by himself. After the whole ordeal of finishing the raid with only two people, we opened the vault and... there wasn't anything in there?

I didn't even get pissed because I've been doing these more for the commendations than anything else, but it was VERY weird. Also, his sloop was brand new and didn't have any of the colored flames on. Huh?

And then he logged off. Very, very weird session.

After that, a PL sloop came to (very likely) steal the hypothetical loot, so I scuttled my ship just to avoid direct confrontation. I waited until them (not sure if there was only one person) jumped to the island just to sneak in their ship. I put all their treasure in their rowboat and rowed away towards Plunder Outpost. He didn't even see me. lol

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
MvQ1mrq.png

CUTENESS AHOY

Small fortune and theres a galleon barreling toward you.

A chum and I did the penultimate Shores of Gold Tall Tale last night. After a couple of hours we had tonnes and tonnes of loot and the precious Shroudbreaker Gem. We were sailing back to Dagger Tooth... Galleon nailing a Brig, right on the doorstp. We sailed away, pronto... found an Ashen Key for our Ashen Chest. Boom. Game was kind. Sailed back, Galleon had slunk off, job done.

Last edited: