• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New event is called Festival of Giving. I really hope its something more than reskinned voyages. The giving aspect of it gives me hope.

It used to be that the beginning bilge rat adventures and expansions fostered player interactions in the form of possible co-op.

You needed 5 people to summon the hungering deep meg.
You had commendations for sitting on a skeleton throne with someone from another crew
There were commendations for beating ships while in an alliance.

We haven't really had anything like that since. I would love if there were commendations revolved around giving treasure away or working with someone else.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
New event is called Festival of Giving. I really hope its something more than reskinned voyages. The giving aspect of it gives me hope.

It used to be that the beginning bilge rat adventures and expansions fostered player interactions in the form of possible co-op.

You needed 5 people to summon the hungering deep meg.
You had commendations for sitting on a skeleton throne with someone from another crew
There were commendations for beating ships while in an alliance.

We haven't really had anything like that since. I would love if there were commendations revolved around giving treasure away or working with someone else.

Someone mentioned to me that the reason we don't have those any more is because a portion of the game's community complained about those - VERY loudly on Reddit and the game's forums. The initial skeleton fleets that rotated times (in real time) and the hungering deep event were SUPER COOL and were some of the only times since release where you'd have an entire server doing something together. They encouraged super unique player interactions.

I get why some people didn't like those but man that was a fun time in the game.

Now the game is more built for everyone to be able to do everything, including things like putting previously time-limited cosmetics into a Duke's Black Market Back Catalog to always be available (as mentioned in the dev update video). Nothing is limited anymore, and the time-limited commendations in the last 2-3 events are things that could be done in about 2 hours of play. Very few people use in-game voice anymore. It's all a bit disappointing, though of course I still love the game and don't see myself falling off of playing it anytime soon.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
disappearing wind a bug? last few sessions, at some point the wind indicators go away and never return. i have to rely on what direction my flag is flapping to figure it out, kind of a pain!

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah thats an old old bug, was talking to a friend about it literally this time last year how itd be neat if you could optionally turn off the wind and be forced to rely on the flag if you wanted a less gamey experience while sailing. Of course theres also a bug where the flag disappears sometimes so

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
disappearing wind a bug? last few sessions, at some point the wind indicators go away and never return. i have to rely on what direction my flag is flapping to figure it out, kind of a pain!

Yep this bug has persisted for probably the last year or more. Dying and coming back fixes it. I also still get the player models appearing as green skeletons bug all the time too. There are a bunch of little issues like that that have not actually been fixed despite showing up in patch notes that they are.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
New update has some great stuff in the Emporium

bd079329-7b9a-4979-859c-c161664e3e45.jpg

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Festival of Giving (or whatever it's called) bundle from the Xbox Store (the weapon skins, the dab, the hide emote bundle, 1000 coins and 25,000 gold) and it's only given me the 1000 ancient coins, nothing else.

Booooo Rare!

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
It's worth doing the new Maiden Voyage, even if you're a vet. There's a lot of stuff to find on the island.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Def going to check out the maiden voyage. I'm glad they made it available.

There's a reference to Pace on the new hide emote lol.

I'm also glad that at the very least they added commendations for giving treasures away.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
If you find your way into the secret stash on the Magpie in the Maiden Voyage, you get a lovely 25,000 gold and 200 doubloons. Well worth it!

RL2bdG3.png

Last edited:

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
HOLD THE EFF UP

Hide and Sneak Bundle – The Hide and Sneak Bundle offers a new set of emotes for stealthy pirates. Looking to sneak onto a rival's ship and hide away, waiting to strike? This bundle contains both serious and silly options for your stowaway antics, with an emote given away for FREE! When using these emotes, your gamertag and title will be hidden automatically for as long as you stay silent. However, should you speak up your gamertag and title will quickly reappear, so keep quiet to stay hidden!

Are we selling shit that gives advantages on the Pirate Emporium now? SMH.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Huh. From the wording there, I thought that you got a free emote from buying the bundle.

If I'm wrong, then ignore me. Sorry. lol

yeah the hide emote is free no matter what. You don't need the bundle.

I got the bundle for what it's worth. Two of them are just silly ones that aren't of any tactical use. One is arguably pretty useful for hiding.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also glad that at the very least they added commendations for giving treasures away.

this is great. i know the game is about being a pirate, and basically the only tension in the game comes from an unknown ship on the horizon, but the game has loooong needed more reasons to not be a dick. more of this please!

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Was in a crew that decided if the opportunity arose while cashing in the gifts in we'd just give them away. Worked two out of the three times (the second attempt I launched myself right onto a sloop dressed as santa, typed "ho ho ho" and then got shot in the face for my troubles as they skeedaddled lol). The weird tension of trying to get people to trust you and then cash in the gifts is really fun and once i clear out the commendations for turning them in myself I might just focus on that for this event. I even tried sneaking onto peoples ships with a gift in hand to try and get some extra turnins here and there. Everybody else was getting off during our last time giving away a haul of gifts so I told the dudes we gave the stuff too that we had like 70 firebombs we didnt use and to set our boat on fire for giggles
bc86372e754bf20fed2ef71da7a8da6cde8e5cc3.png

If you meet a friendly crew while giving gifts away, make sure you get into an alliance because we found out the very end of our session it'll give you half unlike the other dubloon items in the game

how do i access this voyage and whats the trick into the magpie?
If you're on the main menu you can press X on the controller (dont know the keyboard shortcut off the top of my head, but itll tell you in the lower right corner) to access the Maiden Voyage which is the new tutorial if someone starts the game fresh. It starts you off on your own private server by yourself and is like a mini-talltale about how your pirate crosses through the shroud into the main sea. Its neat!

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is great. i know the game is about being a pirate, and basically the only tension in the game comes from an unknown ship on the horizon, but the game has loooong needed more reasons to not be a dick. more of this please!
Eh people are still dicks. I got spawn camped and sunk after trying to tell peeps I had gifts. Lost the ones I had there.

I ran into them again at the masked lady. They sank and killed me again. They only sold the ones I had put there. They never picked up my ones from the initial sink. Best I can tell they are just rolling around sinking people doing the gift voyages for the lulz

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Eh people are still dicks. I got spawn camped and sunk after trying to tell peeps I had gifts. Lost the ones I had there.

I ran into them again at the masked lady. They sank and killed me again. They only sold the ones I had put there. They never picked up my ones from the initial sink. Best I can tell they are just rolling around sinking people doing the gift voyages for the lulz

of course they are. especially in a game that has done nothing (or very little) to encourage anything else. i think some real incentives to work together, and not just to play songs to attract a great beast during a limited window of time, would go a long ways. not sure how else this could work, haven't thought a ton about it, but it is a gaping hole (IMO) on what the game *could be

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Sadly, yeah - it just depends on the type of server you land on. Came upon a crew today where we had to explain what the gifts were and how to form an alliance. I guess luckily they were in the in-game voice channels to hear that. But we also ran into two other crews who were happy to get our gifts and gave us some of theirs, too. It's just going to be a YMMV kind of event. Towards the end, I think people who want those commendations are going to be heavy on giving gifts or leaving them at the Reaper's Hideout. It'll be interesting to see what happens 2-3 weeks from now.

While most of this event's commendations aren't time-limited, there's one for completing all the commendations that IS time-limited, which... seems like that could keep a lot of people from finishing this event.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I met a rando sloop who was a beginner. He was scared of alliancing with me because he says people usually sink him.

I told him where his gift forts were and then he trusted me. We alliance up and I said we could try to meet on the reapers island.

We ended up getting there the exact same time and exchange gifts. FYI the legendary voyage was a bit of a bummer. I think it may give out more generous than humble but man it takes you far.

The maiden voyage was super dope. Make sure you do it and at the very least find the key to get access to the Magpie's stash. You get 25k and 200 doubloons from it.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Joined a 2 sloop alliance that was doing a full gift swap and we got everything ready right as it rolled over for the double dubloons. Made a little over 2000

edit- our haul
ELwBU9RWkAECmEp

6d2823be015498f18bc289298cb4e0e34a28a940.png

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If you haven't done the commendations in the Maiden Voyage yet then get in today. There's a hidden stash of 200 doubloons on the island somewhere. It's 400 today with the double doubloons bonus...

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
If you haven't done the commendations in the Maiden Voyage yet then get in today. There's a hidden stash of 200 doubloons on the island somewhere. It's 400 today with the double doubloons bonus...

Yep, I just did that. Nice little bonus, and man I am definitely needing to check this game out more again as the game world is so awesome with the art and music. I am really glad that Game Pass has continued to help this game have a good community no doubt.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i loved all the other interactive elements on that island - things like turning a capstan to raise/lower doors/bridges. i'd love to see this in the rest of the game more

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Thanks for the heads up on doing the Maiden Voyage today, y'all. The ending of the scenario was a pretty fun amusement park ride.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Stupid question: Is this game going to move to Xbox Series X next year?

It will work on the Series X even if they do no work at all to it. Everything is backwards comparable.

Would be nice if they updated it for 60fps for the Series X. It already runs at native 4k on One X

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Snuck on a 2 player sloop going to cash in the loot from an ashen fleet and got to sell some of their more precious stuff before they got me. Feels good.

Also, today's Advent is 2x rep for Order of Souls and a special voyage for that same faction.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Anyone playing the game over the holidays? Would love to join if some crews are getting organised.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I've only gotten one casual session in with my crew since Smuggler's Fortune dropped, and am curious about some updated Ancient Skeleton anecdotes now that it's been implemented for months.

What's the Pirate Emporium looking like for a casual "F2P" landlubber? All comes down to luck in Ancient Skeleton appearance rate (guess this is what I'm most curious about) and payout (I understand it's 50-800 coin), eh?

I'm hoping Ancient Coins make an appearance during the Days of Giving. If it wasn't for Twitch Prime, I'd have no premium SoT items. But when that cat pet is finally released, my impulse control will be gone.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Really hope theres a reliable way to fight the new skeleton lords after this event. Been trying for the 25 kills commendation but sailing all the way out to Molten Sands to fight the duchess just for a geyser to spawn the second she does and kill her which doesnt grant credit sucks. Death by fire and kegs apparently dont either

I know theyre not marked as time limited but these monthly events have been really spotty in that regard like how rag and bones crates are technically still in the game but ive never seen one since the event

Spruchy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How is this game for people who don't play many games/don't like things too complicated? A buddy is asking for games we can play co-oop and looking for more recommendations.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
How is this game for people who don't play many games/don't like things too complicated? A buddy is asking for games we can play co-oop and looking for more recommendations.

The game at its core level is super simple. It's just adventure in its purest sense, you get on your boat and sail somewhere to find treasure or fight something. Co-op is the best way to play, too.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's incredibly mechanically simple. But there are areas that have depth because of that. It's good for coop because you will all be learning as you go which is a good feeling.

Do the Maiden Voyage. Maybe a gold hoarder mission to get a good feel for it. And then start the tall tales. Tall tales blind coop is gonna be a blast*

*with it being a shared world game, your experience may depend on your run ins with other players.