• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
had a friend who plays on xbox get accused of being a pc player who was "purposefully lagspiking" the chasing boat she was dropping the anchor on. Thats a new one

Wonder what these sorts of players will whine about when the optout hits adventure mode

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
It was possible to get previously, but if you missed it then logging in today gets you the Mercenary Hull.

MkcXvDT.png

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Spent a good amount of today in a server wide alliance tag teaming the Fort of the Damned... managed to through a lot of them and earned soooo much gold and doubloons. Three galleons doing the fort of the damned (with one always going back and forth selling) and two sloops off doing the regular forts.

Christ, I'm set for life now.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Dont know if its meant for everyone or if its being sent out to select players randomly because I didnt see a tweet about it, but I got an email telling me Id get 500 ancient coins for free if i logged in between now and the 31st as a holiday bonus

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Dont know if its meant for everyone or if its being sent out to select players randomly because I didnt see a tweet about it, but I got an email telling me Id get 500 ancient coins for free if i logged in between now and the 31st as a holiday bonus

Yeah, I noticed those last night. Nice!

Saving my coin balance for next updates ship cosmetics 👀

I got the SpecialEffect sail and didn't really like the Perfect Dark set.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
First island i went to after logging in to collect the free 500 coins had an ancient coin skellie spawn that gave 320 coins. shopping spree!!

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I didn't get any email, nor in-game prize. :(

So I've been doing some Tall Tales and these are excellent. But man, the player base doesn't seem to care about them much, which is a shame. When the achievement popped for the latest one, it said "1.5% of players have done this." Oof!

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
where do i access my gift emote? didnt we get a free hide emote from the pack too? i had assumed theyd be in my emote list automatically, but nope

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I know they did the calendar of giving, but are they doing anything this year for xmas day? Last year, I think they gave a gilded voyage.. Just want to make sure I don't miss anything!

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I know they did the calendar of giving, but are they doing anything this year for xmas day? Last year, I think they gave a gilded voyage.. Just want to make sure I don't miss anything!

Doesn't seem to be anything new for the day, no, but the buff from the 24th is set to last until the 27th, so that's still on right now.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Still got 15 Generous Gifts to give away before this event is over... It's tough to get that many! Gonna have to do some proper grinding and then hope to find someone else to give them to if I want to get that Giver of Gifts title....

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Still got 15 Generous Gifts to give away before this event is over... It's tough to get that many! Gonna have to do some proper grinding and then hope to find someone else to give them to if I want to get that Giver of Gifts title....

I think you got a full week before event ends. No 24 hour warning yet, and Wednesday usually is patch day.

I need about that many too.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had some friends get into this game and now my biggest feature request is the ability to upgrade/downgrade ships and crew sizes mid session

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
If you're in a situation where you've got a gift alliance set up, the fastest way to rack up the generous gifts is to keep popping down the legendary voyage and cancelling once you're done with chapter 1. It can only ever pop up at the Wilds or Ancient Isles forts so theres not a lot of sailing, you're guaranteed two from the skeleton lord & the chances are high for the other 3, and if you're super lucky sometimes you get the same fort twice.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I have a suspicion that people who think opting into an Xbox-only server is going to keep them from getting wrecked are in for a rude awakening come next update.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am way too trusting.

Joined an LFG post that had a 2 brig alliance wanting to do FOTD runs. I was thinking because lights were separated between two ships and we wanted more than one clear, we would be safe in the alliance.

Things were already very questionable when they were saying shit like "put the mega kegs on one boat first" There was a lot of debate on what to do with the kegs. I told them to just keep them in the vault until the very end. I thought I had a good eye on the vault but some asshole grabbed a mega keg, kegged our ship, laughed, and then they all left the party.

Any time I do a FOTD in an alliance from now on I am throwing a fireball into the vault room as soon as it opens.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I am way too trusting.

Joined an LFG post that had a 2 brig alliance wanting to do FOTD runs. I was thinking because lights were separated between two ships and we wanted more than one clear, we would be safe in the alliance.

Things were already very questionable when they were saying shit like "put the mega kegs on one boat first" There was a lot of debate on what to do with the kegs. I told them to just keep them in the vault until the very end. I thought I had a good eye on the vault but some asshole grabbed a mega keg, kegged our ship, laughed, and then they all left the party.

Any time I do a FOTD in an alliance from now on I am throwing a fireball into the vault room as soon as it opens.

Yeah the FOTD is especially tense in alliances. Had one where my brig crew was allied with another brig. Though only one of their crew was on the fort helping with the waves. The other person on the ship sailed away "to get another ritual skull" but a second member of their crew had tucked in our crow's nest, which also had 2-3 regular powder kegs. I got suspicious and checked our ship, found the guy in the crow's nest but pretended not to see him. Then when Graymarrow was dead I blew up our own CN with a sniper shot.

The one guy left on the fort with us claimed that the tucker wasn't in his crew. We told him to leave the mega kegs inside the vault and just load everything else up and we'd go cash in. Since he was the only one left and his ship was far away at that point he complied. But when we came back to do another clear it was confirmed the tucker WAS on his crew and they of course turned on us. Still got one clear out of it and the loot which was OK I guess.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah the FOTD is especially tense in alliances. Had one where my brig crew was allied with another brig. Though only one of their crew was on the fort helping with the waves. The other person on the ship sailed away "to get another ritual skull" but a second member of their crew had tucked in our crow's nest, which also had 2-3 regular powder kegs. I got suspicious and checked our ship, found the guy in the crow's nest but pretended not to see him. Then when Graymarrow was dead I blew up our own CN with a sniper shot.

The one guy left on the fort with us claimed that the tucker wasn't in his crew. We told him to leave the mega kegs inside the vault and just load everything else up and we'd go cash in. Since he was the only one left and his ship was far away at that point he complied. But when we came back to do another clear it was confirmed the tucker WAS on his crew and they of course turned on us. Still got one clear out of it and the loot which was OK I guess.

Man I just don't get it.

I guess people do it for the lulz but everyone would be better off if the alliance stood.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Man I just don't get it.

I guess people do it for the lulz but everyone would be better off if the alliance stood.

Remember that time just prior to the alliance system going in where people thought it would ruin the game because there was literally no downside to joining one? Yet it's pretty rare to actually get in one these days and then when you do it's 50/50 on whether it'll hold depending on what everyone's doing.

(Though, sometimes, it's an annoying alliance where you join someone's offering and then they FOLLOW you. WTF is with that? Just go do your own thing, man—we'll share gold. Or the "now that we're in an alliance join our Xbox Live Party." No thanks.)

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember that time just prior to the alliance system going in where people thought it would ruin the game because there was literally no downside to joining one? Yet it's pretty rare to actually get in one these days and then when you do it's 50/50 on whether it'll hold depending on what everyone's doing.

(Though, sometimes, it's an annoying alliance where you join someone's offering and then they FOLLOW you. WTF is with that? Just go do your own thing, man—we'll share gold. Or the "now that we're in an alliance join our Xbox Live Party." No thanks.)

Despite getting burned on it the FOTD was one of the best things added to the game. It rekindled that tense fort gameplay from the beginning of the game. Alliances are super shaky with all the megakegs involved. Sneak plays are big. Other ships circle the fort just waiting for the right play.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Without spoiling anything, the legends update is a really cool concept but pretty boring gameplay wise. I suppose it gives you a reason to explore.

The biggest issue is you have to CONTINUALLY check the commendations to find out where to go. When it launched and no one compiles the list of the commendations/locations im gonna spend 10 minutes to write them all down and then plan my route.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm most excited to get on to get that new ship set in the Pirate Emporium 👀 🧚‍♂️

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Without spoiling anything, the legends update is a really cool concept but pretty boring gameplay wise. I suppose it gives you a reason to explore.

The biggest issue is you have to CONTINUALLY check the commendations to find out where to go. When it launched and no one compiles the list of the commendations/locations im gonna spend 10 minutes to write them all down and then plan my route.
Heres the route i came up with playing on Insiders, it takes you around the world in a big circle:
Ancient Spire Outpost
Pirate Legend Hideout
Kraken's Fall
Crooked Masts
Shipwreck Bay
Daggertooth Outpost
Galleons Grave Outpost
Marauder's Arch
Wild Treasures Store
Sharkfin Camp
Lone Cove
Salty Sands
Smugglers Bay
Sailors Bounty
Sanctuary Outpost
Hidden Spring Keep
Cannon Cove
Crescent Isle
Golden Sands Outpost
The Reaper's Hideout
Wanderer's Refuge
Lagoon of Whispers
Mermaid's Hideaway
Finest Trading Post
Sharkbait Cove
Plunder Outpost
Lost Gold Fort
Chicken Isle
Snake Island
Fort of the Damned
Crows Nest Fortress
Devil's Ridge
Devil's Thirst
Morrows Peak
Ferry of the Damned (You can pick this one up any time obviously)

These are the four player-inspired items you need to wear when you visit Umbra:
Streamer Makeup
Legacy Beard
Seadog Pegleg
Amethyst Dye

Some clues for the trickier Umbra's Journals to cut down on running around:
Devil's Ridge - SE side of the island
Krakens Fall- The camp mentioned in the clue is Penelope's
Fort of the Damned - On the top half of the island

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Heres the route i came up with playing on Insiders, it takes you around the world in a big circle:
Ancient Spire Outpost
Pirate Legend Hideout
Kraken's Fall
Crooked Masts
Shipwreck Bay
Daggertooth Outpost
Galleons Grave Outpost
Marauder's Arch
Wild Treasures Store
Sharkfin Camp
Lone Cove
Salty Sands
Smugglers Bay
Sailors Bounty
Sanctuary Outpost
Hidden Spring Keep
Cannon Cove
Crescent Isle
Golden Sands Outpost
The Reaper's Hideout
Wanderer's Refuge
Lagoon of Whispers
Mermaid's Hideaway
Finest Trading Post
Sharkbait Cove
Plunder Outpost
Lost Gold Fort
Chicken Isle
Snake Island
Fort of the Damned
Crows Nest Fortress
Devil's Ridge
Devil's Thirst
Morrows Peak
Ferry of the Damned (You can pick this one up any time obviously)

These are the three player-inspired items you need to wear when you visit Umbra:
Streamer Makeup
Legacy Beard
Seadog Pegleg

Some clues for the trickier Umbra's Journals to cut down on running around:
Devil's Ridge - SE side of the island
Krakens Fall- The camp mentioned in the clue is Penelope's
Fort of the Damned - On the top half of the island

Crikey, that's a lot of locations!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like it. Everything has a big glowy thing on it, so when you're trying to use a cannon you have this big light shining in your face.

I love how stupid lit up it is. What an obnoxious ship. I love it!

I'm also the guy that was grumpy when they reduced the light the stupid Kraken lantern so idk.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reposting from other thread
As far as I'm concerned the opt out is a fantastic addition and PC players are crying about it because they can't just dump on console people anymore.

I had two sessions with play with xbox only and although it was a small sample size it was already notably better.

In my first session I parked at golden sands and was looking up where the legend locations were when a 2 man sloop rolls up and lights me up. I try to drop sails but a cannonball got me in the face. I was sunk but I didn't care much. No loot, just island hopping for the legend stuff. I respawn back on my now sunk ship and jump off to see if I can still get the legend stuff on golden sands. I run into a player. Ah shit now I have to kill them before I can go do the legends. But to my surprise they have mics and are asking to duel me. I said you sunk my ship I can't respawn. They apologized saying they assumed I had loot since I was at the outpost. I told them to let me do the legend stuff and I would fight them. So they follow em as I hit the legend stuff.

They then told me I would fight both of them. Every time I won I can grab a piece of loot off their ship. So I fought, swords only, no food, the first guy as the other person watched. I managed to beat the first guy and got a skeleton captain chest for it. Unfortunately lost to the second guy because he landed a solid lunge attack when I thought I had dodged it. But it was a funny little moment.

Next session I ran into another solo dude doing the legend stuff too. We allianced and helped each other find the stuff. Had a mic as well. We noticed a brig at a fort and I had to get off soon. So I loaded up gunpowder kegs on the tip of my bow and told him I would kamikaze the ship and fight until I die and then log off. He agreed. I managed to actually get the brig with the kegs but I got killed by them soon after. They were also in game chat and it was hilarious hearing them freak out by the attack. "They're coming in for a ram its fi- WAIT THE KEGS SHOOT THE KEGS" "HES IN THE WATER" "GET BACK TO THE SHIP" "BAIL BAIL"

I wish I could have stayed on longer to see the aftermath of that.

It felt like the alpha/beta days. People communicate. No PC tryhards.

pedrothelion

Oct 28, 2017
I tried to play this last night and after splash screen the game wouldn't load. It was just a black screen. I uninstalled then reinstalled it. It did the same thing. Also moved it from my external HD to my internal HD, but had the same problem. Anyone else here ever have this issue?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Also, keep in mind, that black screen can last for AGES before the Rare logo appears. I think Sea of Thieves might have the worst loading I've ever seen.