• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.pcgamesn.com/sea-of-thieves/sea-of-thieves-pets-microtransactions

"Our plans for launch is to deliver a good game experience, and so all our efforts are going to be on making sure everyone's happy, we're reacting to feedback if there are any issues, etc," executive producer Joe Neate explains. "But then, as we move into our service-based game - think about a month or two after launch - we're thinking about our first major update that has new goals for people to achieve, new rewards and stuff."

"But we have to have an optional way for people to spend money in our game, because we are running it as a service with a large team," Neate says. "So we looked at the right way to do this for Sea of Thieves. The people who love our game, have been playing it for ages, and are happy to spend money on things that they love and the hobby that they enjoy - what feels right for our game? So anything we add in this area won't affect power, won't affect progression. You'll know what you're getting, so you will be buying something specific."

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SoT is GaaS - what did you expect? Reading what the mtx's are, that seems totally fine. Not everything that is mtx is crap.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Well the MT is like this. Monkeys!

The premium shop won't be live at the game's March launch, either, a decision that makes sense in the context of the ongoing controversy around loot boxes. 2017 saw a number of high-profile video games come under fire for their loot boxes - chief among them Star Wars: Battlefront 2. Microsoft and Rare will no doubt be sensitive to any potential backlash to Sea of Thieves' microtransactions, and will hope to avoid an outcry like the one that marred the launch of Star Wars: Battlefront 2.

"Launch is about launching a great game," Rare studio head Craig Duncan told Eurogamer.

"The only conversation I really want people having about Sea of Thieves is what adventures they had, what stories they went on, and why that's cool."

"For launch, it's about delivering the best gameplay experience possible, being there, reacting, listening, taking feedback and everything else," executive producer Joe Neate stressed.

"But as we move into our service and we start growing and updating the game, at that point we'll turn on the option for players to optionally spend in there."

Rare insisted the premium shop will sell nothing that affects player power or progression. Also, you'll always know what you're buying, hence no loot boxes.

"No loot boxes. No loot crates," Neate confirmed.

"It's things that add to the fun, social nature of Sea of thieves."

To that end, the first addition to the Sea of Thieves premium shop will be virtual pets, which you can buy directly (individually). These pets work like other items in the game: they're physical objects that can be held not just by the owner, but by other players.

"It's entirely optional, but if you had a monkey, for example, you'll be able to hold it like you can other things in the game, but then I'll also be able to hold it, then drop it overboard, because that's funny," Neate explained.

"It'll come back. It'll be fine! I desperately want us to be able to fire other stuff out of cannons, including monkeys and other animals, just because it's fun, right?

"So even if you were the only person who had bought a pet, but you had it on board, your crew would be able to enjoy the benefits of a monkey. It's about adding to the fun and social nature. It's just the right spirit for what Sea of Thieves is. Again, it's completely optional. You will know what you're getting. It doesn't affect power and it doesn't affect progression."

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Sounds fine to me. I hate lootboxes, partially because I don't like gambling for something I want but also because I have shit luck and always seem to get crap in them. I bought most of the prime titans in Titanfall 2 simply because I knew what I was getting and wanted it. Just provide stuff the person wants and they will probably buy it.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't mind. There is no way of progressing your character power anyway, the game is 100% about having fun with friends.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with this. Not long ago this kind of stuff was called DLC, as you're not buying hearts or lootboxes but actual content. Since it's cosmetics, I'll probably do like with fighters from last gen that sold hundreds of dollars worth of skins: simply don't buy them. And since you can get the game for 10$ per month too, I say it's fine if they occasionally try selling me some items like cool animals. I doubt I'll ever budge, but we'll see.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
it's gonna be heavily weighted to GAAS. I don't see any more issue with this than I do WoW micros.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a game where cosmetics would be really really popular, and there's no need to add MTs to the gameplay.

The only issue here is if cosmetics are the only metric of progression...

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a game where cosmetics would be really really popular, and there's no need to add MTs to the gameplay.

The only issue here is if cosmetics are the only metric of progression...
They are, but apparently you won't be able to buy the progression-linked cosmetics. Cash shop stuff being distinct from everything else is a good way to handle it, imo, though I'm curious to see if it ends up meeting revenue demands.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
It really looks like any big games coming out in the future are going to struggle to implement loot boxes in the way Star Wars did without causing a major backlash.

What's described here seems acceptable to me because it's not pay to win and it's not gambling. I wonder if it was always planned this way.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sea of Thieves looks to be an example of a service-based game done right.

1) the game runs on dedicated servers
2) all future content is free, and there will be regular updates
3) paid content will be cosmetic, and will not impact power or progression
4) no loot crates, players will know what they are buying

Source.
As we add additional stuff to the game down the line, there's no intent to charge for the content updates – there's no season pass, there are no DLC packs, that stuff will be delivered for free, we don't want to separate our players.

When we bring in monetization systems, it won't impact power, it won't impact progression – people will know what they're buying – so no loot crates.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It really looks like any big games coming out in the future are going to struggle to implement loot boxes in the way Star Wars did without causing a major backlash.

What's described here seems acceptable to me because it's not pay to win and it's not gambling. I wonder if it was always planned this way.
Yes. If you have played the game, you would know that the game has really no systems in place, that could make one player better than the other.
There is no kill streaks, better weapons nothing. Everyone is at the same playing field.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
People had to see this coming for MSoft's first party titles right? How else will they recoup the investment lost from GamePass? 10$ a month will not equal out the loss of revenue they could have made by selling it for $60 to that customer, but microtransactions open up the possibility to milk those customers for that money and so much more if they whale.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
People had to see this coming for MSoft's first party titles right? How else will they recoup the investment lost from GamePass? 10$ a month will not equal out the loss of revenue they could have made by selling it for $60 to that customer, but microtransactions open up the possibility to milk those customers for that money and so much more if they whale.

Of course. Most games have micro or dlc now. It's pretty much expected no matter what system XGP or not. This is perfectly acceptable.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Idk if you meant to use it like that but I had to laugh. "If they whale" as if it's some hidden form that can trigger by chance.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I guess I'm alone in preferring lootbox systems like in Overwatch over a premium shop

When it's a premium shop that sells frivolous stuff that doesn't affect your gameplay but let's you pick the frivolous stuff you want instead of gambling for it, yeah you're probably alone. Most people like paying for stuff and getting it, not paying to have a chance of perhaps getting it maybe if they're lucky?

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
When it's a premium shop that sells frivolous stuff that doesn't affect your gameplay but let's you pick the frivolous stuff you want instead of gambling for it, yeah you're probably alone. Most people like paying for stuff and getting it, not paying to have a chance of perhaps getting it maybe if they're lucky?

Goddamn I hope you are. Care to explain why exactly? Is it just the "surprise" of it all? Or do you genuinely hate knowing what you're paying for?
I'm not paying for anything in Overwatch that's the point

Now if we were talking about CSGO or TF2 where you have to buy keys in order to open lootboxes then yes I'd 100% prefer the premium shop

iSnack 2.0

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So they are going to pull the same bullshit of not having them at launch so reviewers don't give them too much grief over it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it was obvious but know what your getting is a positive at least. I think Rare know the current feeling out there for many. Hope they do the right thing.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017

Now if we were talking about CSGO or TF2 where you have to buy keys in order to open lootboxes then yes I'd 100% prefer the premium shop
Hmmmm, fair enough. I just don't like lootboxes in general, even when they're free, as grinding only gets more grindy if you have no idea what you're going to get as your character progresses; it just makes it difficult to set and meet goals in my opinion. I see your point though.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

You can buy lootboxes in overwatch though

I don't know enough about cosmetics in Sea of Thieves but if you can earn them in game somehow,(but also buy them if you don't want to bother) it seems like a better approach than lootboxes to me still simply by removing the gambling aspect. But personal opinions and etcetera

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm ok with this as long as there are no lootboxes.

My god, we've reached the day where microtransactions are considered a lesser evil.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

You can still earn stuff without lootboxes, the system is not inherit to lootboxes.

Lootboxes just adds an additional layer of randominess

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or just read the thread and also read what the MT is gonna be.

OP and thread title should be updated tho.

I agree, the title is sure to draw in concern and confusion.
Rare has addressed almost every common issue with service-based games, as I summarized in a previous post.
That should be the focus of the thread, not merely the presence of microtransactions.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ok with this as long as there are no lootboxes.

My god, we've reached the day where microtransactions are considered a lesser evil.

I mean, these are non-lootbox, non-progression, non-p2w microtransactions implemented well after the game releases, which means it's probably not content that's been held back.

This is absolutely the best case scenario.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It isn't actually stated that only cosmetics will be purchasable via microtransactions, but based on the use of language, that is seemingly being implied. If true I don't really have much of an issue with it.

The only thing I'd say is that if content within the game is generally lacking or bare bones, or a lot of the game will be delivered via microtransactions and paid updates, I don't think it should be $60 to begin with.

People keep repeating GaaS as if that somehow justifies continously paying for updates to a game, where previously such content might have just been included in the game for the base price. GaaS doesn't have to necessarily mean the additional content will come at a cost, see a game like Gran Turismo Sport, which essentially is a GaaS type game, but where all post release updates, tracks, cars, content, modes etc, have thus far been free.