• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

In this video, Jon from Rare, gives us a brief recap of the past year in Sea of Thieves. How the game has expanded and things some people might have missed. They have added four expansions, multiple events and announced their biggest update: The Anniversary update. That one is coming April 30th.

For me it has been a wonderful experience. When I was able to get my crew together, we had a lot of laughs and some very memorable experiences. But I also had moments where I was just bored, with nobody to play or things getting repetitive. For me, the december months were the best with the Gilded Gifts.

Have you guys played the game yet? What are your opinions after the (controversial) launch?

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Yet to get into the game but my friends had a good time with, but I think they fell off it pretty fast.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I don't play Sea of Thieves, but I've always been rooting for it. I think it's really hard for a game to recover from a weak launch so I am always impressed and relieved when they do. I like to see games do well. Support has been really earnest and consistent and you can tell Rare cares about the game a lot.

I know somebody with a 500 hour save file. That wows me.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Is it worth playing now? The launch version had like no interesting content.

Sevvybgoode

Oct 29, 2017
I was super excited for it and when it released I really enjoyed the sailing elements. Tbh I hated the rest of the gameplay once the excitement of solving the riddles had worn off and it quickly shifted from being a game I was really excited about to my biggest disappointment of last year.

I know there has been a few updates since launch but having watched others playing them they don't seem big enough to mask some of the issues I had. But I'm rooting for this game to turn it around and offer something closer to what I originally hoped for.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
My game of this generation without a doubt. Still not pirate legend, but im above 40 on the 3 companies.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What an amazing journey this has been so far. One of my favorite games this generation. Maybe even the most favorite.

The Anniversary update is looking to boost the game to new heights once more.

Sea of Thieves shows what a passionate dev in combination with proper community communication can achieve.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
This is one game that more than most shows where Microsoft really messed up coming into this generation. If Microsoft had more content coming out then it might have been delayed and shipped with more content.

It is a vastly better game today than it was when it launched and Rare just keeps adding more fun gaming related stuff at no extra cost.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
my favorite thing in this game is just logging on and doing a cargo mission lol. and occasionally doing treasure quests but those are more likely to be ruined by other players. if I could just play this on a pve server it would be perfect.
Is it worth playing now? The launch version had like no interesting content.
if you didn't like it before, you won't like it now or when the april 30th update hits. I expect the arena to be a disappointment to a lot of people.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
The video just namedrops their expansions without going into much detail about what was added in each of them, so that's kind of frustrating as someone who hasn't really kept up with the game since it launched.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
my favorite thing in this game is just logging on and doing a cargo mission lol. and occasionally doing treasure quests but those are more likely to be ruined by other players. if I could just play this on a pve server it would be perfect.

if you didn't like it before, you won't like it now or when the april 30th update hits. I expect the arena to be a disappointment to a lot of people.

DMgxTPZVQAEV18M.jpg

/jk

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I constantly forget this is on PC, and when I hear about it think "I wish I had an Xbox sometimes...".

Will try it out when the new update hits.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
This is one game that more than most shows where Microsoft really messed up coming into this generation. If Microsoft had more content coming out then it might have been delayed and shipped with more content.

It is a vastly better game today than it was when it launched and Rare just keeps adding more fun gaming related stuff at no extra cost.
Yea, they're in a much better position to actually give developers the time they need now.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The video just namedrops their expansions without going into much detail about what was added in each of them, so that's kind of frustrating as someone who hasn't really kept up with the game since it launched.

Not going to delve very deep in each of 'm but here's a brief overview:

The Hungering Deep

https://www.seaofthieves.com/the-hungering-deep
This update added Merrick and his hunt to the game. You had to use the newly added drum together with another crew to complete this mission. This also added things like tattoos and the speaking trumpet

Cursed Sails
https://www.seaofthieves.com/cursed-sails
In this update, you had to find a skeleton ship hiding in the deep waters somewhere in the Sea of Thieves. Once you had found the cursed ship, it was your task to defeat it. This update added a skeleton ship, a lot of cosmetics and the ability to form alliances. In this update Rare has also added a three player ship: the Brigantine.

Forsaken Shores
https://www.seaofthieves.com/forsaken-shores
Forsaken Shores added a complete new region to the Sea of Thieves. With volcanos, geysers and steaming hot water. It also added a new Outpost and cargo runs to the game. These are missions where you have to deliver certain goods (undamaged!) from one spot to another. And to survive the steaming hot water in the Devil's Roar, a rowboat was added. This way you are able to get to the islands without damaging your ship, or yourself.

The Shrouded Spoils
https://www.seaofthieves.com/shrouded-spoils
This update has introduced mists to the Sea of Thieves.

Eucip9r.jpg

This was also an update that has polished the game. Underwater mermaid statues were updated and now contain gems that can be sold. Krakens, Megalodons and Skeleton ships now give loot. Skull forts are now more frequent.

..and what's to come:

With the anniversary update the game will deliver new ways to play and make the game even more immersive.
- The Arena will offer a shorter, more compact and PvP focused way to play. The Arena is based off the comics by the way.
- You'll be able to damage masts and other parts of the ships.
- Quests will be added, that will deepen the lore (some characters may return!)
- Fishing will be added, together with cooking.
- A harpoon will be added to the game
- And much more

(I'm not sure if I spilled anything from the Insider Build.. lol. I hope I didn't)

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Have they added new enemies, loot and bosses like the Kraken?

No, the only enemy types you will encounter are:
- Kraken
- Megalodon
- Skeleton ship
- Skeletons (Normal, nature, gold and ghost)
- Sharks

They have added a lot of different kinds of loot tho. Gems from Mermaid Statues, all kind of Ashen loot from Devil's Roar, the cargo run loot and lots more.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Game should 100% have dolphins added in some form. Swimming/jumping alongside your ship here and there. And when you're plopped into the middle of the ocean maybe you could approach one and ride it as a temporary mount.

In general we need more sea life we can interact with. I suppose fishing will help alleviate some of the somewhat dead feeling of the ocean anyways.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Tbh with this game Rare has proved itself as better than they have ever been

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Tbh with this game Rare has proved itself as better than they have ever been
I agree. I had no idea what to expect from the studio after this era that blindsided me and that produced little to my interest:
pWn0ZJX.png

And - despite being happy for them with all their successes with Kinect - damn did they return to tactile, non-sport form well with Sea of Thieves. The idea of Sea of Thieves being an live/evolving game into next-gen alongside releases of Rare games that have been incubating, it's a hopeful time for a Rare fan like me.

Also, after what unfortunately happened to Lionhead Studios, I'm relieved that we're celebrating Sea of Thieves' one year anniversary. As a layman with no meaningful insight as to why MS studios were being closed at the time, a few years back I was really concerned, selfishly, for Rare because of what it symbolized for my story with the medium.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a really special game, when you have your crew together and you get into a flow of using the game mechanics and travelling the map encountering other players it's unlike anything else I've played.

Is probably echo a few others and call it my game of the generation as well, can't wait to see what comes in April and after that.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
It's simply the best game Microsoft has produced. Also the most daring project probably ever.

Biggest game Era is missing out of.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
It's simply the best game Microsoft has produced. Also the most daring project probably ever.

Biggest game Era is missing out of.
Yup. Can't wait for the next big update. It's going to push the game forward into the potential probably everyone hoped for since the launch. It's going to be so amazing. Just the nature of the game makes teaming up with people such a pleasant experience. I recently got teamed up with a person i'll be friended with for life because of how much fun we had. There's something about SOT which makes experiences a lot more intimate and personal than any other

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I only care about Arena. Those fights during launch were the best. So I hope some intense will happen there.

I'm missing an update on player numbers tho, or some other "silly stats"
Last we heard was 5 million after 4 months. The game is 1 year old now.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best multiplayer games of all time. Right now Apex consumes most of my free time, but I'm planning to return to SoT pretty soon.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
They've done a great job with their update and the anniversary update seems even more ambitious. it's a great game and continues to get better.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
All these updates and they STILL haven't added HDR to the PC version. Just WTF Rare? You did a great HDR implementation and you keep it locked to one platform.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This game is up there as an all time great experience for me. I've been lucky enough to have a steadfast crew with a similar enough schedule that we're pretty reliable when people feel like playing. The ongoing support and progress has been fantastic, well before this anniversary update.

I'm very excited about fishing.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I have no time for a game like Sea of Thieves in my life right now, which is disappointing because I really want to play this. I've had fun just watching others play which is rare (!) for me. Hope people will give it a second chance.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I only care about Arena. Those fights during launch were the best. So I hope some intense will happen there.

I'm missing an update on player numbers tho, or some other "silly stats"
Last we heard was 5 million after 4 months. The game is 1 year old now.

If you liked the fights in 'Adventure mode' you'll be happy about Arena. Won't say more tho… :P

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I really want to get into this game but when I boot it up I literally have idea what I'm supposed to be doing. There's no quest log or anything?

Is there any decent online guides to get started?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to get into this game but when I boot it up I literally have idea what I'm supposed to be doing. There's no quest log or anything?

Is there any decent online guides to get started?
I made this when the game first came out:
Thought I'd make a simple get started guide for one of the quests with pictures.

How to begin a quest:

First you need to understand the controls. See below for the default controls for the different inputs:

WIMIqNK.jpg

UH5ef3e.jpg

Now that you have that down. Lets go find a Quest.

For this demo, I'll walk you through a solo quest from the Gold Hoarders. The object of these Quests or Voyages as they are called in-game, are to find buried treasure and take it back to the Gold Hoarder NPC to be sold. They consist of X Mark the Spot maps, and Riddles. In this one, we will do a simple X Marks the spot Treasure Hunt.

So lets get started, First Locate this fine gentleman and purchase a Voyage from him:

AJAhQmQ.png

WBjpt8t.png

wHeCPfq.png

Next, hop aboard your Sloop and find the table. Propose and Vote for a voyage to get started.

SkLN6QA.png

7xnBkKS.png

XoxqxWt.png

2WlRxKc.png

Now that you have started a Voyage, lets see what you need to do.

kSdOTnU.png

Looks like you received some new Maps. Go ahead and open up the Map Radial Menu (RB or E) and get the Map out.

gTOmiIs.png

Now, go to your large world map on your ship, find the Island and note what direction you will need to head. In this case, we are heading South.

2MH6DiB.png

Alright, you have your destination, now to set sail.

Raise the Anchor

c7LDPtN.png

Lower the Sail

VXDduCi.png

VArD5K7.png

And off you go!

uJf4H18.png

Don't forget to set the Sail Angle for full speed. Look at the flag above the mast to figure out which way the wind is blowing.

z1hXuS0.png

rAhFOb0.png

You have now arrived at your destination:

I1vC2Az.png

Be careful on your way in, you may damage your ship. Luckily you have tools to fix it onboard. Wood Planks to repair the Hull and a Bucket to throw water overboard.

hQR434E.png

9eYWF20.png

3Jig4jM.png

Alright. Your ship is repaired, now its time to head out to the Island. Remember to bring extra Bananas for Health. It might be dangerous.

rhnTqYR.png

Use the Terrain, the Map and your Compass to find the X Marks the spot. The first thing I always do when on an Island is to get my compass out and find North. That way I know where I am on the Map.

zcHvo6F.png

FwsBMt7.png

Once you find it, dig it up with your shovel and bring it back to your ship. You can put it anywhere, but best to try and hide it so other Pirates don't grab it when searching your ship.

Tm0Ps0k.png

Pmhlpyi.png

RTdstPa.png

7rbDa4O.png

Now that you have your Treasure, you need to head back to the Outpost and sell it to the Gold Hoarder NPC. Until you do so, it can be stolen from other Pirates and all of your hard work will be wasted.

Looks like you need to head North.

AzE7o1f.png

Be sure to scan the horizon for any nearby ships. Probably the most important part about playing the Game. Always keep an eye out for other players, that way you can avoid fights if needed. If a ship is parked at the outpost you are heading to, change course and go to another Outpost.

iQoCHcW.png

But if you need to fight, there are cannons onboard.

ahaEHaZ.png

ZgpPVZ3.png

If you make it back to the outpost alive, head to the Gold Hoarder NPC and get your rewards!

N3Wnnji.png

OPQo6ct.png

JFqyY4o.png