• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
S5.5-Reveal-001.jpg

Let the games begin.

Following Shadow Company's explosive arrival to Verdansk, Games of Summer will arrive to challenge all Operators on their skills. Only the most talented will be rewarded with the spoils of the games; the prospect of which has invited a new reinforcement to the Coalition's Warcom division.

This is Season Five Reloaded arriving on August 24 at 11 PM PT with the official kick off of Games of Summer on August 28.

Compete for Glory… And Free Rewards

For the first time in Call of Duty franchise history, community members from around the world – both those who own Modern Warfare and free-to-play Warzone – will be able to represent their country in easy-to-play, hard-to-master, single-player Trials of skill. By earning medals in each Trial, competitors will prove which country's Tier One Operators are truly the best in the world.

Within Games of Summer, there are five Trials. These miniature experiences are similar to those introduced at Modern Warfare's launch and in post-launch Season updates.
Trials will be available for Modern Warfare and free-to-play Warzone players, starting on August 28 at 10 a.m. PT. Players will have unlimited entries, meaning you can keep playing them to set your best time or score and go for Gold.

To the Victor Goes the Spoils for Self and Country

For participating in Games of Summer, players will receive rewards based on performance within each Trial. These rewards are stackable – if a competitor achieves gold on the first try, they will receive all three rewards for their epic (or in some cases, legendary) achievement.

Each Trial medal comes alongside rewards (rewards can only be received once) and all players who participate earn the 'Games of Summer Cup' weapon charm. Trials rewards include but are not limited to vehicle skins, XP tokens, vehicle horns, calling cards, and Legendary weapon blueprints.

Earn gold in each Trial and receive the Legendary Assault Rifle Juliet Blueprint, a weapon truly built for chasing first place on any leaderboard. Built for pure precision with a clear, non-magnified sight picture, consider this a "gold standard" among a competitive pool of this weapon platform's existing blueprints.

On top of these rewards, individual medals will give points to a player's respective country, determined by their account's origin. Each country's points will be updated daily, and the top 15 countries will be visible on in-game leaderboards. Total scoring is weighted by country participants, so any nation can rise to the top.

Earn medals and rack up your points for your country, then at the culmination of Games of Summer, a country will be crowned champion. Will there be an underdog that claims glory for a well-contested Trial at the 11[SUP]th[/SUP] hour? Or will one country hold a commanding lead throughout the Games?

Sounds like it will be fun. Bunch of more details in the article.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Cant wait to see what BS assigment they come up with to unlock that LMG.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like fun. Though which assault rifle is Juliet? And why do they stick with that naming or even go with it in the first place?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why they don't just say the actual names of the guns. I guess it is intended to be misleading.
I've seen other people say that names of guns, and maybe manufacturers, are trademarked? I don't know though. The Alpha/Bravo thing is pointlessley hard to remember though - they could have picked fake names.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen other people say that names of guns, and maybe manufacturers, are trademarked? I don't know though. The Alpha/Bravo thing is pointlessley hard to remember though - they could have picked fake names.

I'm not sure that would matter? The game already uses plenty of fake gun names but for some reason when your buying blueprints in the store rather than saying: "M4A1 Blueprint" It's "Assault Rifle Alpha Blueprint" which is just... why?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure that would matter? The game already uses plenty of fake gun names but for some reason when your buying blueprints in the store rather than saying: "M4A1 Blueprint" It's "Assault Rifle Alpha Blueprint" which is just... why?
Ah i see - sorry - i misunderstood. Yeah that is really weird. I hardly ever look at blueprints so hadn't realised they did it that way.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a good time to finish up the battle pass this weekend.

I think they've been doing a decent job making the new Operators and skins not too outlandish appearance wise, but the new character just being a cowboy is kind of funny in a good way.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

Also it's okay to use real gun names in an artistic work. Like you have can have a character in your book drink a bottle of Coca-Cola or drive a Ford. I wonder if the sticky part comes with selling these microtransactions. Simply having a representation of the weapon in your game is fine and you could call it the Colt AR-15 but selling a virtual model of it through the blueprints might be different. I'm not a lawyer though so I have no idea.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Also it's okay to use real gun names in an artistic work. Like you have can have a character in your book drink a bottle of Coca-Cola or drive a Ford. I wonder if the sticky part comes with selling these microtransactions. Simply having a representation of the weapon in your game is fine and you could call it the Colt AR-15 but selling a virtual model of it through the blueprints might be different. I'm not a lawyer though so I have no idea.

You know, that could be it.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
I find this so infuriating, Im sorry that I cant always discern what gun it actually is by trying to memorize what the base model of every single gun looks like and not be thrown off by an infinite amount of attachment variations or color schemes.

They only reason I could think of was that they want it to seem like or give the impression the game has hundred and hundreds of totally unique guns, making blueprints feel much more valuable and unique than they actually are by only using the blueprint name and not the actual gun name.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

In-game and marketing usage of real world brands are different and need to be negotiated.