• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Basically I was looking for justification for the claim of it being "the most livable city" in north America. I saw boredom. I saw miles of homelessness. I saw mediocre, old homes that probably cost too much. I don't remember seeing much of anything in the way of good public transportation (subways, etc.), though I wasn't looking for them much.

Vancouver is much like Seattle in that the downtown core isn't really where the cool stuff is. Gotta get into the neighborhoods for that.

Vancouver has the SkyTrain system which goes all the way down to the US Canadian Border at Surrey and all over Vancouver. It's actually pretty impressive and way better than our current Light Rail setup in Seattle.

Everything bolded in that paragraph also fits Seattle honestly.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Oh random: I'd like to recommend this ramen spot in Cap Hill.

https://goo.gl/maps/HeJ68Wkj7AT2

Was winning.

Vancouver is much like Seattle in that the downtown core isn't really where the cool stuff is. Gotta get into the neighborhoods for that.

Vancouver has the SkyTrain system which goes all the way down to the US Canadian Border at Surrey and all over Vancouver. It's actually pretty impressive and way better than our current Light Rail setup in Seattle.

Everything bolded in that paragraph also fits Seattle honestly.
Word. That being said, I was wholly unimpressed. Felt like a bigass suburb and I don't mean that in a nice way at all.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're fixing it right now, said it could take all evening.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...l-bridge-deck-causes-a-five-mile-traffic-jam/

We should all thank Tim Eymann for this one.

I get on at the 45th onramp so I only got held up for a couple of minutes but I passed the repair site at about 11:30am so no idea why they think it wasn't discovered till well after noon.

A "friend" of mine once got introduced to him at an event and my "friend" said, "oh the initiative Tim Eymann?" And when he said yes" my friend leaned in and whispered "get fucked" and walked directly away.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I just saw that he space needle is opened back up, but what about the restaurant? Still not taking opentable reservations and I can't find anything in the site.

OP
OP
Trouble

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
I just saw that he space needle is opened back up, but what about the restaurant? Still not taking opentable reservations and I can't find anything in the site.
It's got a glass floor now.
VuDJGVYl.jpg

nope

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all got any gym recommendations in/near the U-District?

I've been spoiled by the UW's IMA, so I'm trying to keep my expectations low. Would want some basic free weight setups so I can do all the core weight training exercises (squats, deadlifts, bench, etc.). Indoor tracks for cardio would be neat but I highly doubt those are common, so I'm not holding my breath on that (will probably just have to live with treadmills and ellipticals and other cardio machines). The cheaper the better, I don't need a fancy, modern look as long as it's got the equipment I need and is properly maintained.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
It's roughly two miles away, but my wife has been going to American Athelete in Green Lake for over ten years now. No indoor track (the lake itself has a good flat path), but they've got everything else.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I felt like we barely got any sunny, 70s days. It was either 90s and miserable or 80s and smoky (and miserable).

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Today was nice but then Fall was all "yo wassup?" this evening. I'm ok with it, it's been too hot in my bedroom and my wife wouldn't let me get near her.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
I know it kinda late notice l, but would any of you be interested in my 2 tickets to see the 2001 reprint at Cinerama tonight at 9pm?

Row T seats 22 and 23

Let me know and I'll send the details. Free to anyone who wants it of course. Feeling like shit and would be sad if they went to waste

The Ummah

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hello PNW!

I'm currently making plans to move up there, possibly Olympia. I've lived in Tacoma while I was in the military for three years and I fell in love with the state.

I'm in IT, just wondering if there are certain areas I should focus on? Thanks for any and all assistance, love you guys and gals :)

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Hello PNW!

I'm currently making plans to move up there, possibly Olympia. I've lived in Tacoma while I was in the military for three years and I fell in love with the state.

I'm in IT, just wondering if there are certain areas I should focus on? Thanks for any and all assistance, love you guys and gals :)

Of the places Ive lived, Lower Queen Anne, Ballard, and now North Beacon Hill I don't really have any complaints out of any of them. Actually quite loved everywhere Ive lived. Only issue would be price in some areas gets absurd but that's really about it.

Look forward to having you as a new neighbor!

The Ummah

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! I guess the only major thing would be finding a place that'll work with my budget. I'm used to California rent, but I've seen houses for rent around the same price range in some areas.

Will do some research on the places you listed!

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol check out Viktor Von Doom and Braniac here:

https://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2018...ed-to-jail-after-taunting-detective-via-text/

Cyberbullying Doesn't Pay – Escapee Returned to Jail After Taunting Detective Via Text
Written by Sergeant Sean Whitcomb on September 13, 2018 2:24 pm

Police have been searching for a prolific criminal after he escaped from King County Jail on August 23rd. The big break in the break out case came from an unlikely source: the suspect's own hubris.

On Monday, the escapee texted Scotty Bach, a Seattle Police Major Crimes Task Force (MCTF) supervisor, called him a homophobic slur and suggested he perform a sex act.

Acting Sergeant Bach and MCTF detectives petitioned for and received a search warrant to obtain the suspect's cell phone data – information which they put to good use.

On Wednesday night, MCTF detectives and North Anti-Crime Team Officers located the escapee in the 4500 block of 5 Avenue NE and placed him under arrest. The escapee was carrying a small amount of methamphetamine, which detectives seized and placed into evidence.

A friend of the escapee proceeded to investigate his associate's detention. Detectives quickly recognized him as a burglary suspect, and placed him under arrest as well.

This man had a pellet pistol, and was also carrying a small amount of methamphetamine.

Detectives are requesting felony narcotics charges on both men.

Both men were processed and later booked into King County Jail.

I guess Florida man was hogging the limelight.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
The rain has finally hit Green Lake. Hooray.

Also, the house next to me finally has tenants after a year of being vacant. Don't know if I have the heart to tell them their landlord is a cheapskate who refuses to fix their sewer lines and their basement bathroom (toilet, sink and tub) is going to backup with sewage when the rains get remotely heavy...

In our eleven years of being here, we've seen it way too many times. You can smell it. Fix your lines dude. We did. It's worth it.

Ballistik

Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone, sorry to intrude on the party but might be in Seattle for a few days and I have never been. There's probably answers to my question spread throughout this thread but I was just wondering what are some of your top things (Food and sightseeing) to do in Seattle. Also, public transportation or rent a car? I am coming from Southern California.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Get out of downtown. Go to the Ballard Locks, walk around Green Lake. Walk around Fremont. If the weather is decent do something on Lake Union. Hit a farmers market (University or Capitol Hill don't have the extraneous bullshit), eat at Joule. Take a water taxi to Alki and have lunch at Marinarion Makai.

Do you like beer? It's fresh hop season, the most wonderful time of the year where the brewers all drive to Yakima and load up on the fresh harvest and make some amazing beers that are only possible right now. Cloudburst, Fremont, Holy Mountain, Georgetown, Reubens and Stoup all have some on now and will have more shortly.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Dayummmm that was only ~30 minutes after I crossed. Glad I left to work from home early!

It was about 2 minutes before I crossed :(

I was sitting on there, after the last exit, heading west towards the bridge. Came to a full stop and my navigation said I'd be home by 515. Within 5 minutes it said I'd be home by 6:50. Saw them close the highway behind me. Eventually started seeing a cop car creeping along next to the cars behind me releasing cars to turn around and head back east on the westbound 520 to the previous exit, where another cop was directing the merge with the cars who hadn't reached that exit yet.

Ending up taking me about 2 hours to get home (usually like 45-50 mins).

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You guys enjoying this late September weather? We're getting 70's this weekend, heading into October.

I know some of y'all are wanting some rain and clouds, but I'm happy with this.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Got our ballots today and I started voting. Concerning 1631 in theory I'm in support of it but I feel like all the pro stuff is so confusing and overly complicated. They need to just spell out clearly and simply what it means in regular person money.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know the editorial board leans to the right, but it's Dino. I figured even they would know better.

Yeah, fucking hell... I know it's the editorial board, but I think I'm going to cancel my Sunday + Digital Subscription. I already barely use it, but wanted to support local news. I think it's time to find somewhere else. How anyone could support a despicable slimeball like Dino Rossi is beyond me.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I voted party line for the first time ever. Had to Google some of the judges and non partisan roles to check for fuckery. A message must be sent.

cMlwuLV.jpg

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Re: 1631

I have no love lost for those on the anti-side of things but tell me what an average person pay in a year? I'm a big boy, I will gladly pay my share to help the environment. Like, how much extra will I pay for gas in 2020 when it goes into effect? Just give me a rough estimate and don't hide behind numbers so nebulous that they have no impact on a regular Washingtonian.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Re: 1631

I have no love lost for those on the anti-side of things but tell me what an average person pay in a year? I'm a big boy, I will gladly pay my share to help the environment. Like, how much extra will I pay for gas in 2020 when it goes into effect? Just give me a rough estimate and don't hide behind numbers so nebulous that they have no impact on a regular Washingtonian.

It's one of those things liberals ignore while complaining about other regressive taxes. Like the soda tax. Sure, it's good for people to drink less soda - but not everyone understands that - some folks are living in situations of pure shit where they have no idea these ballots exist, but they do know that coke and everything else is getting more expensive, and that Big Mac meal got more expensive and so on. It directly impacts people who don't even know about it, based on well-intentioned voting by people like us.

Where we need to get to is a situation where soda doesn't need to be taxed, because a single mom with no time to raise her kids properly, is able to send them to a great public school where her kids end up knowing better than she does. That's how societies grow and become more sophisticated and healthier and smarter. That's how things worked in Scotland when I was a kid. I went to public schools that taught us classics and music and art and civics and the government paid for my college AND my rent while I was learning. And I paid less tax as an adult there than here AND had free NHS healthcare. But here in Seattle, and WA generally we barely paid for education at ALL in the last few years, let alone improving it where it needs to be improved.

Meanwhile, Eastside public schools are among the best in the country and their coffers and stadia are improved and embellished and gilded by donations from generous and liberal and well-off Microsoft and Amazon and Google and Boeing parents who don't really have to worry about private schools, because the government funded ones there, are so stable and well-funded. That's not always true in Seattle, and as soon as you go north, south or east of Issaquah, shit's all over the place, and poor people as usual get shat on by circumstance and local politics.

It's all fucked. And city politics are a wasteland. Homelessness is now being used as a political tool by the LEFT. You'd think it would be non stop GOP clowns complaining about it, but we're creating a massive addiction crisis matrix, encouraging addicts and their enablers to set up shop here, because there is an underground community where their addictions and poverty and horrible circumstances, can be a hair better than Portland, or Twisp, or Everett and sure, from here - but the moral crowbar is used to make people feel guilty about complaining that maybe, just maybe, the cops should prioritize heroin dealing, instead of being the de facto rescue unit for overdoses. They can't like it. Our PD has plenty of issues on its own, but being told to use kid gloves is finally having an effect and it's visible at every freeway on-ramp. And I don't mean a panhandler, like you'd occasionally see in 2005. I mean tent cities.

They need to triage soon. I've had my car prowled so many times I just leave it unlocked. I've found people on my property, I've heard folks checking my front fucking door at 2am. I'm tired of pussyfooting around the issue of dealers and addicts because it might be offensive to a single mom who can't afford rent. The irony is that the way to help her as a phenomenon, is to start working on the ugly shit we've let fester through guilt, inaction and well-meaning but destructive help and encouragement.

Folks often cite a survey that "proved" most of these folks were from King County already, but the data and methodology were laughable. We need to get data and start getting rid of the dealer safety net that's under most of the crime - and then we can get to the real estate aspect.

BTW I am a hand-wringing peacenik liberal empath, recycler, gun safety campaigning, trans-advocating, GOP detesting hippy. But this thing in Seattle is not sustainable.

And meanwhile, my doc still occasionally tries to prescribe opiates for my chronic but manageable pain. They haven't even fixed that shit. Pharma absolutely WRECKED a generation or two, with no serious repercussions even to this day.

Anyway, rant over. I know there's a hugely complex series of homeless problems - but I am complaining about this one.