• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I lived in Kirkland for the last 4 years for work and just came home to SF. I miss it up there.

Also Beth's Cafe is the best breakfast ever!

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like our state *really* didn't want new taxes this election cycle.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like our state *really* didn't want new taxes this election cycle.
The carbon tax was not without its issues (I voted for it regardless), but it's a real fucking shame that the soda initiative made it through.

I'm starting to think we need major political finance reform here.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On a car on the way home last night the driver had the radio on and I hear "Dino Rossi has not yet conceded". Gotta love that nice warm familiar feeling, the world might be turning upside down, but you can always count on Dino Rossi to lose and you can always count on him being salty about it.

p.s.
xa48Pdh.png

ilikesanta

Oct 26, 2017
Wa Republicans need to dump Hutchinson and Rossi, and find new people, or they can stick with them because I like watching them loose.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
Any recommendations for a good local place to get leather garments cleaned? Got a pair of black leather chaps from Goodwill and want to get them thoroughly cleaned before wearing.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Wa Republicans need to dump Hutchinson and Rossi, and find new people, or they can stick with them because I like watching them loose.

They don't have anyone better. Maybe Ron McKenna.

Any recommendations for a good local place to get leather garments cleaned? Got a pair of black leather chaps from Goodwill and want to get them thoroughly cleaned before wearing.

Check with Swansons Shoe Repair in Wallingford. I know they do more than just shoes, doesn't hurt to ask.

Clockblockers

Oct 25, 2017
United States
The carbon tax was not without its issues (I voted for it regardless), but it's a real fucking shame that the soda initiative made it through.

I'm starting to think we need major political finance reform here.

I think the single biggest problem was you had to go out of your way to really figure what it was truly about, commercials with the old lady trying to look frail just made it seem like the evil local governments wanted to raise taxes on all of your food.

I didn't realize it was essentially a soda tax until I started to do my research for the election

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm really depressed about the carbon tax failing. All the fake Washington progressives who think climate change is a disaster until it's their turn to have to do something about it, then its someone else's problem.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm really depressed about the carbon tax failing. All the fake Washington progressives who think climate change is a disaster until it's their turn to have to do something about it, then its someone else's problem.
Probably the same people who voted for Durkan over Moon

Oct 25, 2017
This weather sure is something so far this year. Been dry af. I feel like we got more rain in September than October and November.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My street has a history of drainage/flooding issues related to construction projects. My wife and I took on Sound Transit/City of Seattle/WSDOT/contractor after they blocked all the storm drains and flooded our basement during heavy rains as part of electrical work for the Roosevelt Light Rail Station. After 2 1/2 years WSDOT agreed to reimburse us for half and no one else admitted fault. That sucked.

So now there's new construction on the other side of I-5 (by the 65th Park and Ride) from us and they're dumping the water from their large pit onto the street, but the lowest point is on the other side of I-5 across from our house, and I'm the only one who does anything about keeping storm drains cleaned. We haven't had any rain in what three or four days now, but there was a nice stream of water flowing down my street because it had overwhelmed the storm drain. I already contacted the city last week and they talked to the contractors but obviously they haven't done shit. Ugh.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Wife and I had my early bday dinner at The Butcher's Table tonight. I gave up red meat a couple months ago, but we had a gift card and bday so figured it was a special occasion. Wow! Amazing! By no means cheap but worth it for a special occasion. I wanted a 5lb steak for dessert haha.

KadeYuy

Oct 30, 2017
20k a month in gifts from family and friends?!

Millennials really are poor cause none of my family or friends give me shit

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Sup SeattleEra! I'm here for the next few days for a conference. Any recommendations for things to see/do/eat?

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I finally got around to visiting Add-a-Ball in Fremont for the first time today. It's a magnificent dungeon to conquer, lol. I hit up Turtles in Time and some Marvel vs Capcom (I'm terrible at fighting games). 1943 ate my quarter. :(

Anyone up for a meet up in January after the holidays are over? Week of the 21st? Maybe Wednesday (23rd) or Thursday (24th)?

samred, SpartyCrunch, Hail Satan, and I hit up Coindexter's a couple months ago. We could go there again or Add-a-Ball, or somewhere else. Open to any suggestions; trying to get the conversation started. I have young children so I'm not too in tune with the local (b)arcade scene.

Seattle-ERA Killer Queen tournament?

Last edited:

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'd be down for another meetup and such.

Have some traveling coming in January so I don't have a definitive schedule as of yet, but more than likely I could be there.

Edit: Also wouldn't mind a get together of some sort for Smash if anyone is interested in that as well.

Last edited:

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Cool, sounds good. The more the merrier! This thread doesn't move too quickly so I'll check in after New Years to see if a certain day/time/location is preferred.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be joining Seattle-Era next month as I got an offer from Amazon that I accepted.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats. We're already maxed out on amazon employees so you'll have to murder one when you get here. That's all part of the stack ranking orientation though IIRC.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be joining Seattle-Era next month as I got an offer from Amazon that I accepted.

Congrats. Good luck. If it's your first job you'll do just fine if you're mid career be prepared for a huge cultural shift depending where in Amazon. But it's encouraged to compete with each other - colleagues, departments and even products in a way I'd be probably incompatible with. It's definitely a successful model but it has shocked several of my current and former colleagues over the years.

Good luck finding housing. Market for buying has turned a corner but everything is crazy expensive - you can just be less worried about multiple bids and offer price. It's winter so there's not a lot on sale but much less insane than this time last year -

Rental is tough and expensive and winter doesn't help. Let us know what kind of neighborhood you're looking for.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats. Good luck. If it's your first job you'll do just fine if you're mid career be prepared for a huge cultural shift depending where in Amazon. But it's encouraged to compete with each other - colleagues, departments and even products in a way I'd be probably incompatible with. It's definitely a successful model but it has shocked several of my current and former colleagues over the years.

Rental is tough and expensive and winter doesn't help. Let us know what kind of neighborhood you're looking for.

I'm mid-career. I'm used to a 50 - 60 hour grind and office politicking so I'm not too concerned about the cultural shift.

As far as place to live, my base salary is close to Amazon's base salary cap of 160k so I'm making quite a bit. I'd prefer commutable via public transportation if at all possible. Looking for rent in the range of 1500-2000 / mo for single room / bath. I figure I can pocket the money for the first month as I'm staying in corporate housing.