• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you are working downtown (South Lake Union) you have a ton of options. Sounds like you're OK with roommates - so I think your budget is realistic. Figure out what kind of neighborhood you'd like - but Seattle proper has a LOT of really structurally similar "one main arterial with loads of shops and restaurants and some apartments " surrounded by single family homes. If you want a proper downtown then you're looking at Belltown or lower queen Anne - if you want something sleepier then there's too many to list but the Roosevelt corridor has a good blend of stuff and is getting light rail in the coming year or two (as is the Northgate area).

Ballard has loads of everything but commutes can be strained. Central district, cap hill and so on. I district too but can be a weird mix of college town and sketchy.

Pro tip : join and scour the local neighborhood Facebook groups for early tips on apartments and rooms on a very granular basis and assume everything on Craigslist is a scam.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If i was making close to 160k I'd definitely say fuck roommates though. You can eaily afford a new construction one bedroom for yourself.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The prices out here for housing are just depressing

Hopefully ya'll still got power after the windstorm last night

We lost about seven inches square of stucco from somewhere last night but I can't find the spot. Also blew a bunch of trash cans over but the one last month I think thinned out the potential falling limbs and stuff - and my neighbor and I both coincidentally removed giant diseased pine trees this year - and so our block is currently kinda denuded of widowmaker branches and trees.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The prices out here for housing are just depressing

Hopefully ya'll still got power after the windstorm last night
Surprisingly, we didn't lose power. Although as Stinkles mentioned most of the loose stuff should have fallen already. We lost power for 8 hours and 6 hours, respectively, in the previous wind storms this year.

__

Alright, anyone still down for a barcade meetup later this month? I'm thinking Thursday the 24th, but just throwing out a date to start the conversation. I was at Add-a-Ball this past week and Killer Queen wasn't working. Presumably it would be working by the 24th. I'm not sure if there is a preference between there and Coindexter's...or somewhere else that I don't know about.

Clockblockers

Oct 25, 2017
United States
good to hear you guys kept power, I love it out here but the semi-constant power losses are annoying. If I lived in the more rural areas I think I'd spring and get a generator

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
good to hear you guys kept power, I love it out here but the semi-constant power losses are annoying. If I lived in the more rural areas I think I'd spring and get a generator

Whoa -- where are you? I've lived here for fifteen plus years and probably lost less than 24 hours power in that whole span. Don't get me started on sewers tho.

I had a CRAZY idea though - what about BURYING power lines instead of stringing them from sticks? I heard they tried it once in a futuristic utopia and it worked and isn't an ugly counterproductive shitshow of failure and aesthetics.

Strangely, most of the very expensive areas where CEOs and political operatives live have buried power lines. What a weird coincidence.

Clockblockers

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Whoa -- where are you? I've lived here for fifteen plus years and probably lost less than 24 hours power in that whole span. Don't get me started on sewers tho.

I had a CRAZY idea though - what about BURYING power lines instead of stringing them from sticks? I heard they tried it once in a futuristic utopia and it worked and isn't an ugly counterproductive shitshow of failure and aesthetics.

Strangely, most of the very expensive areas where CEOs and political operatives live have buried power lines. What a weird coincidence.

I completely agree on the burying of power lines. Single easiest way to help with the issues the yearly wind storms bring (I think over 200K lost power last night???) I know they buried them in Bellevue about 4 years ago, but before then I remember people telling me about a lot of issues. The biggest issues I've had were when I was out in Woodinville, a stiff wind seemed to always knock out power for at least a few hours.

Kylarean

Oct 25, 2017
Gig Harbor, WA

Hah. I had buried lines (not just power) when I lived in West Virginia. They eventually came above ground, but all new construction was underground and fixes to old aboveground lines would move underground and they would remove the poles.

Move here and I've had more power outages in two years than WV in 18.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, I've heard of this being a classism thing in parts of Magnolia, unless there are other areas as well.

Some of it is chronology and developer related rather than evil graft -- but nationwide that's a pretty regular way that regressive taxes quietly benefit the wealthy. It's far from universal but yeah - that's how they get you...

If you ever drive through the Windermere neighborhood it's a subtle thing that you can't quite put your finger on but then it clicks and you're like "awww man" and of course the views are unimpeded. There's a few more modest Seattle neighborhoods that benefit from it but overhead powerlines are an absolute eyesore in San Francisco. I always hated them. They look great reflected in a puddle in your sophomore photography class but then...

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW 13 years living in Japan and the only time my power went out was for the 2nd largest earthquake ever on the planet, and they have their power lines (hideously) above ground. We just have super shitty infrastructure. I couldn't believe my power kept going out because of *wind*.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW 13 years living in Japan and the only time my power went out was for the 2nd largest earthquake ever on the planet, and they have their power lines (hideously) above ground. We just have super shitty infrastructure. I couldn't believe my power kept going out because of *wind*.
Wind, but largely trees and debris falling on power lines.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wind, but largely trees and debris falling on power lines.
And poor maintenance, planning, departments that protect trees, plant trees, permit stringing of power lines and handle city and private access to overhead and underground infrastructure being on completely different pages.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

sprsk, are you at in Redmond? The east side definitely seems to lose power a lot more than Seattle proper.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
mugurumakensei another area you might want to look at is around Fremont / Wallingford. Lots of options, some more affordable apartments, with a ton of stuff you can do, and perfectly livable without owning a car (but if you do have a car, there's a bit more parking out here than most places, though not a ton)

These neighborhoods have at least 2-3 bus lines you can get to very easily which will take you straight downtown around where Amazon's offices are (otherwise known as "all of downtown and south lake union")

Oct 27, 2017
http://mynorthwest.com/1235479/blue-c-sushi-closes-down-lays-off-employees/
The doors at Blue C Sushi locations across Seattle and Los Angeles shut for good on Monday, catching employees and customers off guard.

Hundreds of employees got an email Sunday night, telling them not to come to work the following morning. The email, obtained by Eater Seattle, stated that the company is going out of business because of "unexpected financial and other circumstances."

That comes as a surprise.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
Bye Blue C, but there are plenty of better options. I went to the one in Bellevue a few weeks back and was disappointed with how mediocre and expensive it was.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
I completely agree on the burying of power lines. Single easiest way to help with the issues the yearly wind storms bring (I think over 200K lost power last night???) I know they buried them in Bellevue about 4 years ago, but before then I remember people telling me about a lot of issues. The biggest issues I've had were when I was out in Woodinville, a stiff wind seemed to always knock out power for at least a few hours.

I live in Woodinville, and yes, it used to go out all the time. It's not nearly as bad anymore, thankfully. Somehow we didn't lose power this time.

I really love it out there, but the commute downtown is pretty atrocious. I'm not looking forward to the next few weeks.

Clockblockers

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I live in Woodinville, and yes, it used to go out all the time. It's not nearly as bad anymore, thankfully. Somehow we didn't lose power this time.

I really love it out there, but the commute downtown is pretty atrocious. I'm not looking forward to the next few weeks.

Ah yes, the "Seattle Squeeze"

With the population boom lately I've been of the opinion of the last couple of years that where you work & commute time needs to become a serious consideration, especially if you don't have flexible hours. I like living downtown but I didn't mind the eastside either, each has they're plus and minus. But from lurking here it seems I'm in the minority.

EIther way I'd kill to have a more reliable electric grid, and I wish the area would just bite the bullet and spend the gobs of money needed for a real public transit system, because the longer they wait the more expensive it'll be

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

With the population boom lately I've been of the opinion of the last couple of years that where you work & commute time needs to become a serious consideration, especially if you don't have flexible hours. I like living downtown but I didn't mind the eastside either, each has they're plus and minus. But from lurking here it seems I'm in the minority.

EIther way I'd kill to have a more reliable electric grid, and I wish the area would just bite the bullet and spend the gobs of money needed for a real public transit system, because the longer they wait the more expensive it'll be

You are aware of the Sound Transit light rail expansion over the coming years, right?

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Fremont gets me to SLU in about 15 minutes and is a fantastic area to live. I'm loving it here now that I'm working here too. Enjoy duder!

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the weirdest part:

I wonder what happened

well, ignoring the fact that getting into the restaurant business is stupid as fuck, and rent makes it even stupider, if you're an established chain with that much foot traffic and opportunity for efficiency, then it's

1. Divorce or death
2. Partner dispute
3. Ludicrous rent hike we'd have heard about
4. Incompetence on a scale so massive that you'd need a conveyor belt to get around it

I've seen the Fremont location stay light on Sunday, but otherwise it's a mob scene of kids going full tilt, mashing the service light like they're playing Track and Field, sushi everywhere, Inari deathtraps on the floor and parents with their heads in tehir hands, sobbing gently into a large sake.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
well, ignoring the fact that getting into the restaurant business is stupid as fuck, and rent makes it even stupider, if you're an established chain with that much foot traffic and opportunity for efficiency, then it's

1. Divorce or death
2. Partner dispute
3. Ludicrous rent hike we'd have heard about
4. Incompetence on a scale so massive that you'd need a conveyor belt to get around it

I've seen the Fremont location stay light on Sunday, but otherwise it's a mob scene of kids going full tilt, mashing the service light like they're playing Track and Field, sushi everywhere, Inari deathtraps on the floor and parents with their heads in tehir hands, sobbing gently into a large sake.
For sure.

As a side note though, the Fremont Blue C Sushi location closed back in August 2017 - the space is just about to re-open with a MOD Pizza in it.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Took my daughter to the U Village Blue C in November before we took her to Japan since she had shown an interest in sushi and that's the least threatening option around. That place was slammed, but at the same time, Zao Noodle Bar was always packed and they up and closed overnight at U Village back in 2010 under similar circumstances.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took my daughter to the U Village Blue C in November before we took her to Japan since she had shown an interest in sushi and that's the least threatening option around. That place was slammed, but at the same time, Zao Noodle Bar was always packed and they up and closed overnight at U Village back in 2010 under similar circumstances.

I'm sure we'll hear the reason soon enough.

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
Hello friends, I got a job through the pathways program with the department of state and will be moving to Seattle once the government is open again. I was wondering what the sentiment would be about selling my car before moving. Is the public transportation reliable and expansive enough tonkale that not a huge hassle?

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Hello friends, I got a job through the pathways program with the department of state and will be moving to Seattle once the government is open again. I was wondering what the sentiment would be about selling my car before moving. Is the public transportation reliable and expansive enough tonkale that not a huge hassle?

Depends on where you'll be living and where you want go. If you just want to stay within Seattle city limits you'll be fine with bus/street car/light rail but if you have any interest in venturing outside the city, particularly anything related to the mountains/hiking/etc. you'd want a car.

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on where you'll be living and where you want go. If you just want to stay within Seattle city limits you'll be fine with bus/street car/light rail but if you have any interest in venturing outside the city, particularly anything related to the mountains/hiking/etc. you'd want a car.
Yea, I love hiking and outdoor shit, but I figured it would be cheaper to rent a car for the weekend when I needed one to make those trips versus paying car payments and insurance year round. Also, any tips on where I should be looking for places? I believe the office is located around Pioneer Square, but that's probably an expensive area. I don't mind a bit of a commute.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Yea, I love hiking and outdoor shit, but I figured it would be cheaper to rent a car for the weekend when I needed one to make those trips versus paying car payments and insurance year round. Also, any tips on where I should be looking for places? I believe the office is located around Pioneer Square, but that's probably an expensive area. I don't mind a bit of a commute.

What's your budget and expectations for housing?

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
What's your budget and expectations for housing?
I'm still a college student so I'm very much ok with that quality of living. I wouldn't mind having roomies either. I'll be making like 23 bucks an hour working 35-45 hours a week, then I'll get a pay raise in may when I finish my masters. I'm looking to spend probably 800ish? Is that unrealistic? Any areas I should scout!?

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'm still a college student so I'm very much ok with that quality of living. I wouldn't mind having roomies either. I'll be making like 23 bucks an hour working 35-45 hours a week, then I'll get a pay raise in may when I finish my masters. I'm looking to spend probably 800ish? Is that unrealistic? Any areas I should scout!?

I'm not totally sure since I've been paying a mortgage for a long time now, but maybe look in the areas around the UW (U District, Ravenna, Green Lake, etc.)? I know there are some houses around me that are mostly students or recent grads sharing a place.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, the commute is a huge consideration for where you should choose to live. We originally moved out there because we were both working on the Eastside. I only started working downtown this summer. Now that our kids are in school, relocating isn't really an option. I just have to endure it. :/

Speaking of school, my kids went/are going through the dual language program at Woodin Elementary. As far as I know it's the only one at a public school in the county. It's half day immersion with the class split between native and non-native speakers. It was/is fantastic. My daughter is in high school now and recently passed a fluency exam that certifies her as legally bilingual. My son is in his final year of it. We just got lucky that this was our local elementary.
https://www1.nsd.org/schools/programs-services/dual-language-program

leder

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be hard to find anything in that price range around pioneer square. It's weirdly one of the seediest areas of the city, but most of the housing is expensive condos and loft apartments and such. Even if you could afford a place there I wouldn't really recommend it. There's a lightrail stop there though, so I would look at one of the areas that has a stop further to the south, like Columbia City or Rainier Beach. You'll still most likely be needing roommates.

Oct 25, 2017
Someone made a video of the city sanctioned homeless camp down here in Olympia that opened last month. It's right around the corner from where I live.

Last edited:

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Hello Seattle-GAF, I'll be joining your community as well. Drove for almost a week from Texas to get here for a relocated job and I'll be starting later this week. I decided to get a place in Beacon Hill since after dealing with shitty traffic and commutes back in Houston, it would be nice to actually walk to work for once.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Hello Seattle-GAF, I'll be joining your community as well. Drove for almost a week from Texas to get here for a relocated job and I'll be starting later this week. I decided to get a place in Beacon Hill since after dealing with shitty traffic and commutes back in Houston, it would be nice to actually walk to work for once.

Nice! Welcome, looks like we'll be neighbors. I live in North Beacon Hill.

OP
OP
Trouble

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Smart move. I can't even imagine using a daily method of transportation that is subject to traffic at this point.

I'm going the other route and going to sell my condo and move way the hell down in or around Tacoma and rent a place. I've got the green light to work from home all but one or two days a week, when I'll catch the sounder. My GF lives down there so this will be a trial run of living together and we can take our time figuring out where to buy a new place.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Smart move. I can't even imagine using a daily method of transportation that is subject to traffic at this point.

I'm going the other route and going to sell my condo and move way the hell down in or around Tacoma and rent a place. I've got the green light to work from home all but one or two days a week, when I'll catch the sounder. My GF lives down there so this will be a trial run of living together and we can take our time figuring out where to buy a new place.

North Tacoma is a cool area. My best friend and his wife recently moved from Greenwood and bought a place near Old Town. They both work downtown and take the Sounder.