• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
If you want to stand in what will probably be long lines to save a buck and some change the Dick's Drive-Ins will be selling hamburgers and cheeseburgers for $0.19 on Tuesday in honor of their 65th anniversary.

Oct 27, 2017
nqjVcQv.jpg

Finally getting some snow.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Nice amount in Green Lake so far.

Did anyone else walk the viaduct and tunnel yesterday? It was fantastic. Too bad the city didn't find a Saturday ever summer to do that in the past.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm by Martha Lake. It started around 12:30 this afternoon and has been sticking to the grass & plants. Just started sticking to the road & sidewalks in the last half-hour.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else walk the viaduct and tunnel yesterday? It was fantastic. Too bad the city didn't find a Saturday ever summer to do that in the past.

Really wish I did. My wife ran it and said it was a blast. Sadly, I sprained my ankle pretty badly a few months ago and tried running on it the day before to see if id be up for it, and hurt the rest of the night.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Really wish I did. My wife ran it and said it was a blast. Sadly, I sprained my ankle pretty badly a few months ago and tried running on it the day before to see if id be up for it, and hurt the rest of the night.

We just did the public walk in the afternoon.
Food trucks, art installations and bands. It was very fun.

I used to be a marathon runner but ended up having unexpected heart surgery in 2017 so I can barely run a mile now.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
We just did the public walk in the afternoon.
Food trucks, art installations and bands. It was very fun.

I used to be a marathon runner but ended up having unexpected heart surgery in 2017 so I can barely run a mile now.

Well damn, I actually didn't even know about the food trucks and such. Sounds fun.

Sorry to hear about the heart surgery though. Hope everything is doing well other than being unable to run👍

Oct 25, 2017
Nice amount in Green Lake so far.

I walked by it but I was starting to get sick so I went home. But it looked like people were really enjoying it. It really does illustrate that cities should be for people, not for cars. They really need to ban non-commerical vehicles downtown.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, wow. I didn't know it had public access. That would have been a fun way to send it off. Some years ago I walked across the top and it was a great feeling.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda legitimately enjoy living in cities that get completely screwed by what other places would call a light snowfall.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday, I flew out to Seattle for a business meeting going on today.
Snow falls, city falls apart.
Meeting gets cancelled.
Currently in my hotel working and eating donuts.
Fly back out tomorrow to Denver.

Still love this city. Would love to move here one day.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am already picking off the skinny neighbors first. The fat ones will live longer and maybe see us through a year of this.

THV9dXn.jpg

Street is very steep (even accounting for the angle of the shot) and kids are nowe blasting down it on sleds and one cross country skiier.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My daughter has been sledding down a little hill across the street on a plastic trash can lid and having a blast. Too bad the snow is too powdery to really make snowballs or a snowman. Oh well. Gonna head over to Green Lake Park in a bit and sled down those hills.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I look in my back yard a new branch capable of murder has fallen off my neighbor's tree. There's one out there with like a 4 inch diameter I am maybe gonna have to chop up to get it in the green waste

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Every time I look in my back yard a new branch capable of murder has fallen off my neighbor's tree. There's one out there with like a 4 inch diameter I am maybe gonna have to chop up to get it in the green waste

We've got a big ass catalpa tree in our front yard (as seen in the picture above) that we get trimmed every three to four years. Fortunately we had it done back in October.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
We live at the bottom edge of the dreaded convergence zone; dumped pretty hard here must have gotten 5-6 inches.

Same here... I hate driving in snow (Had to go to work). Come back home mid day and the highway is still covered in snow even (morning I didn't even take it cause the intersection to get to it was so messed up I just turned around..a nd that was like 6 am in the morning!)

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Green Lake park sucked for sledding, back to the little hill across the street from us next to the bomb shelter.

All the roads around Green Lake are slushy or already icy. Gonna get down into the teens tonight, should be fun.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Green Lake park sucked for sledding, back to the little hill across the street from us next to the bomb shelter.

All the roads around Green Lake are slushy or already icy. Gonna get down into the teens tonight, should be fun.

Ice is going to be treacherous tomorrow. :-(

Here are a few photos from the trail behind my place in Redmond.

MjIH21Ul.jpg

m4m29YJl.jpg

If that's where I think it is (between downtown Redmond and the Brewery) it's the bane of my cycling in summer - no matter which direction you go, no matter what time of day, there's an impossible headwind that turns my average speed from about 21mph down to 15. I ride from Wallingford along the Burke to downtown Redmond Macy's then turn around and go back instead of looping across the 520 and the headwind should be a tailwind at that point, but mysteriously isn't....

I've often pondered that I could have had a "lake house" by buying a place on the river delta with a dock to Lake Washington near Bothell - half the price or less, of the "proper" lake houses but with all the advantages and lake access.

Mrs Stinkles hard noped on that 15 years ago when the bargain geodesic house was for sale...

The wind this morning got pretty crazy. I'm positive it's a branch apocalypse out there.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle: Climate change is real and we need to take it seriously and invest in our future!

Also Seattle: All wheel drive and air conditioning are poor investments, when will you need that?

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Yeah, we are the land of Subaru. My parents had three growing up and I own an Outback.

My daughter is already two hours delayed tomorrow, curious how bad the ice gets overnight.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ditto - public schools are two hours late. Mrs. Stinkles ordered food from GrubHub... from a restaurant four blocks away... that also has FREE DELIVERY! Now we're having a fight about it even though she knew all of the above....

Luckily people get more peaceful and rational when they are starving.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Re: Subaru

My Legacy made it to work and errands after work no problem today. Back tires are bald on the inside and 5/32 outside (new tires and alignment this week). 2008(?) storm I drove my then Impreza straight up Madison hill on all season tires passing stuck tow trucks. Subaru normal mode is beast mode in the snow. PSA: doesn't help braking, keep a safe following distance.

mullfuchs

Jan 29, 2019
I'm more than a little bummed, because I'm almost finished replacing the front forks on my moped and it has to up and snow me in.

I'm hoping to go to work tomorrow, but I'm trying to think of a route out of my neighborhood with the least amount of hills and inclines. The route I usually take is all iced up, it's pretty narrow.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Re: Subaru

My Legacy made it to work and errands after work no problem today. Back tires are bald on the inside and 5/32 outside (new tires and alignment this week). 2008(?) storm I drove my then Impreza straight up Madison hill on all season tires passing stuck tow trucks. Subaru normal mode is beast mode in the snow. PSA: doesn't help braking, keep a safe following distance.

I drove around today as well, just went slow and assumed everyone around me was going to kill us all and kept my distance. No problems.

2010 storm I drove our old Jeep Cherokee Classic all the way from Auburn back home to Green Lake. Took me 8 hours on I-5 and by the time I got off I-5 I'm amazed I was able to park with the crazy amount of snow we had.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
Ice is going to be treacherous tomorrow. :-(

If that's where I think it is (between downtown Redmond and the Brewery) it's the bane of my cycling in summer - no matter which direction you go, no matter what time of day, there's an impossible headwind that turns my average speed from about 21mph down to 15. I ride from Wallingford along the Burke to downtown Redmond Macy's then turn around and go back instead of looping across the 520 and the headwind should be a tailwind at that point, but mysteriously isn't....

I've often pondered that I could have had a "lake house" by buying a place on the river delta with a dock to Lake Washington near Bothell - half the price or less, of the "proper" lake houses but with all the advantages and lake access.

Mrs Stinkles hard noped on that 15 years ago when the bargain geodesic house was for sale...

The wind this morning got pretty crazy. I'm positive it's a branch apocalypse out there.
You're right, this is near the downtown complex in Redmond. That headwind is a pain and always gets me to when I'm coming back from a road ride!

Too funny about the "lake house" in Bothell. My wife and I almost bought one for the same reasons, water and bike access. But we also ended up buying elsewhere.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're right, this is near the downtown complex in Redmond. That headwind is a pain and always gets me to when I'm coming back from a road ride!

Too funny about the "lake house" in Bothell. My wife and I almost bought one for the same reasons, water and bike access. But we also ended up buying elsewhere.

My dream Seattle house is the nice sunny stretch of the Burke Gilman before Matthews beach and not under the terrifying looking mudslide bits. Like, if we won the lottery and could live anywhere at all - that spot is perfection for cyclists and lake enthusiasts, which I believe is everyone. Like, Madrona, Kirklan, Leschi etc - can't compete with having the best interurban trail right outside your house. And now that you can loop the ride across the 520 - phew.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
The good: I am able to walk to work.
The bad: I am able to walk to work.

Ice in particular is going to suck this week and I heard there is more snow coming this weekend?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The good: I am able to walk to work.
The bad: I am able to walk to work.

Ice in particular is going to suck this week and I heard there is more snow coming this weekend?

I live at a dogleg corner with lots of trees and a big open southern exposure - so folks are driving down the northern facing cross street, slowly and carefully on icy snowpack, but then turning onto the big open corner where the sun looks like it has melted safe tracks for vehicles and folks are turning into those tracks, KIng Wenceslas style, but the black strips are actually ice and the snow packed "rails" are actually safer - and it's super steep, so people are either intentionally or gravitationally accelerating into it and then wobbling precariously towards my car, which is sorta stuck there. I've sen five folks almost lose control so far. Gonna be a long day....

Also some treacherous sidewalk out there. Stay safe. Kids are loving the snowday - and sledding down our hill.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
*sigh*. I was happy to have today off so I didn't have to drive in the snow except my poor doggy is having some issue and I just couldn't make her wait longer (either skin or anal gland, my bet is on anal gland. Either way she was in so much pain she whimpers a lot and is acting very miserable. Still eating but not as good apetite as i think the pain is getting to her). She's at the vet now as they had to sedate her to fully treat her (she was pretty good they said but they got to a point where it was too painful and they needed to sedate her).

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Been considering relocating to Seattle area. One of my friends that lives there said they built way too many apartment buildings and now there's a lot that are empty and offering really tempting incentives. Any truth in this or is she just trying to trick me to moving out there sooner?

mullfuchs

Jan 29, 2019
I was able to drive to work, thankfully I know the least-steep route out of my neighborhood and only had one sketchy bit of ice. I'm going to have to leave early, before it gets dark, to avoid the refreezing

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been considering relocating to Seattle area. One of my friends that lives there said they built way too many apartment buildings and now there's a lot that are empty and offering really tempting incentives. Any truth in this or is she just trying to trick me to moving out there sooner?

There's a lot of condos FOR SALE but rentals are still really tight and expensive. If you're buying there's probably plenty of inventory even in winter - but there's still a relatively meek amount of single family homes for sale. You could also buy a houseboat or floating for less than some equivalent condos and live dat Sleepless life quite economically. Remember that some of them are deeded with their own "lots" on the water and some of them you're literally buying a boat and at the mercy of the moorage owner.

https://www.seattle-houseboat.com/category/for-sale/floating-homes/forsale-floatinghomes-active/

80% of houseboats and floating homes are in desirable or convenient parts of Lake Union too.

Condos are clumped and especially dense in Belltown, Ballard and Northgate - all places that have some benefits for commute, shopping and so on - and if you're investing, take a look at the light rail plans and schedules - those are going to make some currently sleepier spots like Northgate and Roosevelt much more accessible and walkable and therefore desirable. But there are condos or apartments in most neighborhoods - including the Eastside, where Redmond town center looks more like Ballard by the day.

Last edited:

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of condos FOR SALE but rentals are still really tight and expensive. If you're buying there's probably plenty of inventory even in winter - but there's still a relatively meek amount of single family homes for sale. You could also buy a houseboat or floating for less than some equivalent condos and live dat Sleepless life quite economically. Remember that some of them are deeded with their own "lots" on the water and some of them you're literally buying a boat and at the mercy of the moorage owner.

https://www.seattle-houseboat.com/category/for-sale/floating-homes/forsale-floatinghomes-active/

80% of houseboats and floating homes are in desirable or convenient parts of Lake Union too.

Condos are clumped in Belltown, Ballard and Northgate - all places that have some benefits for commute, shopping and so on - and if you're investing, take a look at the light rail plans and schedules - those are going to make some currently sleepier spots like Northgate and Roosevelt much more accessible and walkable and therefore desirable.
Thanks for the info. I visited Seattle last year and absolutely love it. We're leaning more towards rental, so it's a little disheartening that my friend misled us. Oh well, not ready to move yet anyway, it all depends on where my husband finds a better job. I work remote so doesn't make a difference to me, but I would really love to live in the PNW.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info. I visited Seattle last year and absolutely love it. We're leaning more towards rental, so it's a little disheartening that my friend misled us. Oh well, not ready to move yet anyway, it all depends on where my husband finds a better job. I work remote so doesn't make a difference to me, but I would really love to live in the PNW.

Well remember the "for sale" condos do ease pressure on rental units - so they didn't mislead you relative to prior inventory - but feel free to ask this group about neighborhoods and transit and food and so on if you finally bite the bullet. It's a lot cheaper than San Francisco, London and Manhattan, at least! Right?