• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have any of you seen this documentary by Komo?

Seattle is Dying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAi70WWBlw&t=747s

I started noticing tent cities like this around 10 years ago, but remember it getting particularly bad in certain areas around 2013 or so. I moved to the eastside in 2016, but every time I head into Seattle I see more and more tent camps and garbage dumps like those in the video. I was surprised to see how much more had popped up in the U District when I drove through a few months ago.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Have any of you seen this documentary by Komo?

Seattle is Dying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAi70WWBlw&t=747s

I started noticing tent cities like this around 10 years ago, but remember it getting particularly bad in certain areas around 2013 or so. I moved to the eastside in 2016, but every time I head into Seattle I see more and more tent camps and garbage dumps like those in the video. I was surprised to see how much more had popped up in the U District when I drove through a few months ago.
Sinclair-owned KOMO putting out an anti-homeless people piece

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sinclair-owned KOMO putting out an anti-homeless people piece

So you think it's all just propaganda and all of the people on the streets are just run-of-the-mill homeless folks?

My brother got caught up in this sick world before he died and the talk about universal drug addiction and rampant theft amongst the tent camps definitely rings pretty true to me.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
So you think it's all just propaganda and all of the people on the streets are just run-of-the-mill homeless folks?

My brother got caught up in this sick world before he died and the talk about universal drug addiction and rampant theft amongst the tent camps definitely rings pretty true to me.
Wake me up when KOMO runs a similar documentary about the rampant wealth inequality in this city, the complete lack of mental health resources, and the national predatory capitalistic conditions that often lead to said homelessness.

And if you want a less snarky response, read this: https://crosscut.com/2019/03/6-reasons-why-komos-take-homelessness-wrong-one

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wake me up when KOMO runs a similar documentary about the rampant wealth inequality in this city, the complete lack of mental health resources, and the national predatory capitalistic conditions that often lead to said homelessness.

And if you want a less snarky response, read this: https://crosscut.com/2019/03/6-reasons-why-komos-take-homelessness-wrong-one

That's a good response with many important points, but if I were to reply the author's initial question:

When people complain about tents and garbage in Seattle, I wonder whether they're more bothered by having to look at these visual signs of our community's failure, or whether they actually care about the adults and children who live in those tents.

I would say that most people in the community care about the danger is poses to their families and friends.

Needles in parks is something I saw even in North Seattle and was a huge concern of mine when I let my son play in sandboxes. I know people who have had their homes and cars broken into in the last couple of years, again in North Seattle. My brother did this shit and so did all of the people he ran with to fund their heroin and/or meth addiction.

I would love to see more attention paid to what causes homelessness, and specifically the opiate addiction that has led to the most recent epidemic, but we should also care about crime and making sure laws are enforced, especially when there are victims.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Finally going to spend an afternoon or two in the Fremont/Ballard area. Anything I can't miss? Fremont/Black Heron, Brouwer's, Add-a-ball already on my list but I wouldn't mind good food options either!

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally going to spend an afternoon or two in the Fremont/Ballard area. Anything I can't miss? Fremont/Black Heron, Brouwer's, Add-a-ball already on my list but I wouldn't mind good food options either!

Senor Moose for Mexican breakfast and La Carta De Oaxaca for casual Mexican dinner and margaritas. In Ballard. In Fremont there's Paseo for legendary Cuban sandwiches.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Senor Moose for Mexican breakfast and La Carta De Oaxaca for casual Mexican dinner and margaritas. In Ballard. In Fremont there's Paseo for legendary Cuban sandwiches.
Paseo I have covered from the SoDo location before Mariners games :)

Thanks for the other locations tho, probably make a whole Saturday out of it

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Paseo I have covered from the SoDo location before Mariners games :)

Thanks for the other locations tho, probably make a whole Saturday out of it

There's loads more but those are my go-tos. I also like El Camino in fremont, Ba-Bar in fremont (weird Korean "street food" ie fancy little dishes, but great food ambiance and bar. Also a shout out to underrated La Isla in ballard - ostensibly Puerto Rican food but kinda blended with other Carribean spots. There's a Skillet in ballard too which is sit down comfort food like fried chicken in a big airy space. Don't sleep on Wallingford these days - Pablo y Pablo is my favorite fancy mex right now and has the best Nachos, period - but Kamonegi (tiny and James Beard nominated so hard to get reservation) for classic and modernJapanese dishes including the velvety wonder that is "Foie Gras Tofu" which apparently doesn't involve torturing geese and "Bukkake Ramen" LOL U CAN'T STOP ME LAUGHING MENU EVEN THOUGH I KNOW IT'S A REAL WORD - and a few fancy places - like The Whale Wins, Tilth - and cheap quick eats like Ezell's fried chicken, Musashi sushi (it's OK but it's dirt cheap so mobbed with students) and Molly Moons (not my cup of tea but "delightful" flavors like "Lavender Ennui with Vague Sprinkles" or "Mild Sadness and Nostalgic Fugue" instead of chocolate). There's a great but MOBBED WITH KIDS AND THEIR EXHAUSTED UPPER MIDDLE CLASS PARENTS - pizza place called Tutta Bella. Legit Neapolitan style. I also like Kozue - cheap family style weirdly big Japanese menu - with sushi and katsu and curry and more.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2nd the La Isla recommendation, but Skillet isn't in Ballard anymore sadly.

Doesn't surprise me. It was that weird street you only go to when you have to park or go to the library. I liked that location because I'm old and cranky and there was never a line.

OH! And if it's a nice day - and you plan it, you should go spend a little bit at the Hiram M. Chittenden locks in Ballard. Or if you have bikes you could start in Fremont or Ballard and then it's a five-ten minute ride along the Burke Gilman, flat, level, pretty interesting blend of urban blight and pretty neighborhood and working men's teamster docks and deadliest catch proper graaaaaaaaaahhhhh . Also a few homeless encampments but mostly expensive mountain bike chop shops rather than meth shoot-outs.

Especially now because tulips or whatever.

Last edited:

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Fremont
Spicy rice cakes at Joule and a bunch of beers that you won't see anywhere else in Seattle at The Masonry.

Ballard
Reuben's is worth a stop. If you do the Locks go all the way across and walk up to Urban Family Brewing.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I've been to the locks before years and years ago when visiting my Grandma. That and the Zoo in the same day.

If it is nice out and I haven't had too much to drink I have a lime bike and whatever other services there are now ready to go.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw that, damn, few blocks away from where I work.

I noticed a couple of unusually weird gusts of wind this afternoon. It's a funny thing about Seattle that it almost never experiences strong wind. Growing up in Scotland gale force winds were common to the point of becoming part of our play activity - we'd make mini parachutes and kites. We'd frequently be able to open our coats and lean at 45 degrees like hurricane reporters.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I noticed a couple of unusually weird gusts of wind this afternoon. It's a funny thing about Seattle that it almost never experiences strong wind. Growing up in Scotland gale force winds were common to the point of becoming part of our play activity - we'd make mini parachutes and kites. We'd frequently be able to open our coats and lean at 45 degrees like hurricane reporters.

Oh man, I remember when I was in exchange in Glasgow in 2010 we had a huge gale force come through, I tried to walk outside and it felt like pushing an invisible wall to get Greggs.

Also, holy shit it fell on Mercer street itself from the new google buildings. At least it was the weekend, it's a parking lot there during rush hour.

Krathoon

Oct 27, 2017
I ate at some underground restaurant near the convention center years ago. It was a few blocks away. Anyone know what the name was? It had great beef stew.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
I recently started working from home after commuting from Woodinville to the Smith Tower. I'm getting around two and a half hours of my day back. I hardly know what to do with all this newfound free time. :|

Oct 27, 2017
You thought the smoke was bad last year? It's likely going to be even worse this year:
https://mynorthwest.com/1397241/wildfires-smoke-outlook-washington-2019/
Washington experienced an all time record of wildfires in 2018, with smoke clouding much of the state. According to officials, 2019 will be worse.
"Unfortunately, we are likely to see even more significant fires and more significant smoke this year," said Commissioner of Public Lands Hilary Franz. "Last year, we had 1,850 fires total. The most our state has ever had on record — 40 percent of those fires west of the Cascades. The season really got started in early May and went well through October."
"Given the (current) drought conditions, we've already had over 300 fires to date this year, with 50 percent of those west of the Cascades," she said. "In fact, we saw our fires starting as early as the second week of March, which frankly is unprecedented in our state."

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
Cliff Mass, the UW weather guy said last week that the smoke should not be as bad this year in the Seattle area due to wind patterns. But sounds like the fires will still be bad.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
My parents want to visit their grandkids this summer and I keep telling them to come at the start of summer to avoid the smoke. They camp in our yard, and are really bad at communication delaying plans so it might bite them in the butt.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like melting in my room in June. We usually don't get this until July, so maybe we'll get wildfires and smoke earlier this year.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
How are you all coping with the heat wave? I'll tell you it ain't great, I feel like I'm melting in my room.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
We had the AC unit running in our bedroom all night. I had bought another one for our main floor a while back and had it running as well. Still warm in our brick house but definitely much better.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
We have our living room dialed in with a portable AC, and one in the bedroom. Although walking from the living room which is kept pretty cool into the kitchen which is not can be quite jarring lol.

And the sun shines on our bedroom the entire last half of the day relentlessly so it's still too damn warm until about 11pm in there even with the AC blasting all afternoon/evening.

Beatrix

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Hey guys, I'm in Seattle for a solo trip and it was fun! I have a flight tomorrow at 10pm to go home, however I have to check out of my Airbnb by 12pm. Any recommendations on what I can from basically 12pm-8pm? Like areas I can just kind of kick back, people watch that isn't too awkward. I did all the typical touristy stuff like the space needle, pike place market, walked around capital hill, visited coffee shops, etc. I might do it again however I'm open to anything!

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like melting in my room in June. We usually don't get this until July, so maybe we'll get wildfires and smoke earlier this year.
tenor.gif

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Hey guys, I'm in Seattle for a solo trip and it was fun! I have a flight tomorrow at 10pm to go home, however I have to check out of my Airbnb by 12pm. Any recommendations on what I can from basically 12pm-8pm? Like areas I can just kind of kick back, people watch that isn't too awkward. I did all the typical touristy stuff like the space needle, pike place market, walked around capital hill, visited coffee shops, etc. I might do it again however I'm open to anything!

Take a walk around Green Lake and watch everyone else.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
Hi Seattle ERA! I will be in town July 4-7 and wanted to ask about some recommendations for the following items:
  • Brunch places
  • Contemporary Art (I've been to the Henry Art Gallery, so exhibition spaces with work similar to that!)
  • Dive bars
  • Cocktail lounges
  • Fancy/swanky restaurants
  • Bars or clubs with great music (preferably without cover)
  • Must-try city specific food items
I'll be there for a wedding, but looking for things to do during free time :)

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Blue Star

The Five Point Cafe

Fancy/swanky restaurants

Joule
Salare
Junebaby
Altura
Art of the Table

note: Aside from Canlis requiring men to wear a jacket, nothing in Seattle is really fancy/swanky in terms of dress code.

Must-try city specific food items

Hot dog with cream cheese.
I dunno. I've lived here my whole life and I can't really think of anything other than cedar plank salmon, a Dick's Deluxe, and a teriyaki chicken combo that's quintessentially PNW.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Hi Seattle ERA! I will be in town July 4-7 and wanted to ask about some recommendations for the following items:
  • Brunch places
  • Contemporary Art (I've been to the Henry Art Gallery, so exhibition spaces with work similar to that!)
  • Dive bars
  • Cocktail lounges
  • Fancy/swanky restaurants
  • Bars or clubs with great music (preferably without cover)
  • Must-try city specific food items
I'll be there for a wedding, but looking for things to do during free time :)
What kind of music are you looking for?

For cocktail lounges there are a bunch of speakeasies around (Knee High Stocking Co., Tavern Law to name a few) and the famous Canon (Bourdain went there etc.), plus Rob Roy and the other places their owners have worked on (Navy Strength, No Anchor, The Fog Room). There are of course a ton of quality microbreweries around if you're into beer (Cloudburst, Reuben's, Urban Family, Holy Mountain).

Restaurant-wise (that haven't been mentioned already), I'm a big fan of Staple & Fancy in Ballard, and you can walk up the street to Hot Cakes for dessert afterward. Spinasse in Capitol Hill (the butter sauce pasta is amazing). If you want pho, Pho Bac in the International District.

Local places-wise, if you want a Caribbean roast sandwich you can check out Un Bien or Paseo. There's a long story here, but basically there was only Paseo in the beginning and it got famous, then it shut down and the original owner's sons are now at Un Bien. Paseo re-opened later under different ownership.