• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
1) Reduce prices of car tabs and thus encourage more people to drive
2) Make it harder to keep roads in driveable condition
3) ???
4) Profit

But I save $300 a year! Got mine!

That says more about the rest of the country than it does about Seattle, TBH.

Sure, but we are definitely in our own little bubble, for better or worse. I always have to remind myself of that whenever I travel. It stuns me what people are happy about when we visit my wife's family in Omaha.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
OP
OP
Trouble

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
What if we built more train lines
Well link light rail is being extended from Angle Lake to Tacoma... but it will probably take close to 2 hours to get to/from Seattle/Tacoma on light rail.

Can't forget that we had an election where people voted for new forms of mass transit but then also voted against an initiative that would've paid for it. ;-)

Basically describes the voting public everywhere. Taxes have been so vilified that we constantly kneecap ourselves out of fear of them.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Toronto was the better team! What if Altidore?

Fuck off Disney people. They lost 3-1. The better team doesn't get outscored.

Pretty much, possession isn't every thing, heck look at possession in the LAFC match and it's the same story.
If you can't capitalize, then you're not doing great, and it's a pretty damn conclusive 3-1 ending, like, even the final goal was conciliatory and not a game changer. lol

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Beloved-clown-J-P-Patches-dies-at-84-3726596.php
Chris Wedes, who as Julius Pierpont Patches became one of Seattle's most recognizable figures and a beloved icon to generations, died Sunday morning. He was 84 and had battled blood cancer since 2007.

At its peak, "The J.P. Patches Show" on KIRO/7 had more than 100,000 daily viewers and was broadcast in the morning and afternoon. It debuted Feb. 10, 1958, and when it went off the air in 1981 it was the longest-running locally produced children's show in the United States.
Long before most your guy's time but J.P. Patches has died. My sister was on an episode along with her Brownie group.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
She said it was nice and she is Lutheran, but there were no religious undertones or requirements in her graduate program.

Okay, my counselor told me any private religious school is going to have skewed teachings with a basis in the religion. I wasn't sure that was true, and Seattle U seems to have a great program for people wanting to become counselors themselves.

I just need to figure out transportation.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I went to a catholic college elsewhere as an atheist. We had to take a couple theology courses as part of gen ed, but I took buddhism and it counted so...

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I went to Pacific Lutheran Univeristy in Tacoma for undergrad and aside from having to take two religion classes (whcih I enjoyed) it was a very progressive liberal education. I am not a religious person and I loved my time there.

I think you're thinking of places like evangelical Christian colleges in the south.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
I mean, if your question do Catholic universities push Catholicism, then nO...

Okay, my counselor told me any private religious school is going to have skewed teachings with a basis in the religion. I wasn't sure that was true, and Seattle U seems to have a great program for people wanting to become counselors themselves.
Not really no. Went to a catholic university in chicago. I had to take 1 or 2 quarters in religious studies/theology but I took "debate of god" and comparative world religions." It was fine.

Last edited:

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Seattle University is also a Jesuit institution, so their focus is on questioning and free thought. My grandpa was a political science professor there in the early 90s, and even when they required students to attend church service (which they did away with in the late 90s) it was still open minded and not oppressive/subversive. It is definitely not a crazy bible college.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I went to a catholic college elsewhere as an atheist. We had to take a couple theology courses as part of gen ed, but I took buddhism and it counted so...
I went to Pacific Lutheran Univeristy in Tacoma for undergrad and aside from having to take two religion classes (whcih I enjoyed) it was a very progressive liberal education. I am not a religious person and I loved my time there.

I think you're thinking of places like evangelical Christian colleges in the south.
I mean, if your question do Catholic universities push Catholicism, then nO...

Not really no. Went to a catholic university in chicago. I had to take 1 or 2 quarters in religious studies/theology but I took "debate of god" and comparative world religions." It was fine.
Seattle University is also a Jesuit institution, so their focus is on questioning and free thought. My grandpa was a political science professor there in the early 90s, and even when they required students to attend church service (which they did away with in the late 90s) it was still open minded and not oppressive/subversive. It is definitely not a crazy bible college.

Thanks everyone. Zero problems taking courses on religion, I just didn't want religion creeping into other courses. I really appreciate everyone's perspective. I was raised Catholic, and my mom went to Catholic school and really didn't enjoy her time. That was a very different time though, and and in a much less liberal place. Plus it wasn't college. My counselor probably meant the Christian colleges, and I think he's from the south east where things are going to be quite different from Seattle.

Now I just have to figure out how a person who can't drive gets from Lynnwood to the school.