• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
For some reason Seattle University is almost 3 times the price of UW or Antioch...

I'd have to take out loans for anything over the price of UW. And UW doesn't offer a counseling program. Sigh.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Weird question. Anyone know anyone that's gone to Seattle University?
My friend got his CS degree from there (after first half at Seattle Central). He got a job at Microsoft right out of school. I was highly debating going that route too but like you said, man it's so expensive. My friend isn't religious and said they don't really push anything, but I think you have to take some kind of theology class.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
My friend got his CS degree from there (after first half at Seattle Central). He got a job at Microsoft right out of school. I was highly debating going that route too but like you said, man it's so expensive. My friend isn't religious and said they don't really push anything, but I think you have to take some kind of theology class.

Any idea why it's so high? Is it because they don't have as many students?

I figured it would be comparable to Antioch.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Was it worth the money difference in your opinion? Their numbers are pretty impressive.

I thought so. I did my freshman year at UW (this was back in 1999) but the really large class sizes was super overwhelming so I transferred. My largest class was 30 students at PLU and I had a great relationship with my professors and didn't have to deal with graduate students teaching courses.

I went to Central Washington University for my Masters of Education in School Psychology, by the way. I think from what you're talking about you're looking at graduate programs.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I thought so. I did my freshman year at UW (this was back in 1999) but the really large class sizes was super overwhelming so I transferred. My largest class was 30 students at PLU and I had a great relationship with my professors and didn't have to deal with graduate students teaching courses.

I went to Central Washington University for my Masters of Education in School Psychology, by the way. I think from what you're talking about you're looking at graduate programs.

Yeah, I still need my BA too. I was considering going to UW Bothell for that, and then... well I have to figure out where I can go for my MA. Goal is to be a mental health counselor and eventually a therapist.

I briefly went to LSU after going to a community college and the biology course being with so many people was... overwhelming. I kind of hated it.

Because of my disability DVR will pay for the cost of my education. However they only pay the price of the public option, and I have to cover the rest. Having no school loans is very tempting, but so is smaller classes and a program that sounds pretty special.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Yeah, I still need my BA too. I was considering going to UW Bothell for that, and then... well I have to figure out where I can go for my MA. Goal is to be a mental health counselor and eventually a therapist.

I briefly went to LSU after going to a community college and the biology course being with so many people was... overwhelming. I kind of hated it.

Because of my disability DVR will pay for the cost of my education. However they only pay the price of the public option, and I have to cover the rest. Having no school loans is very tempting, but so is smaller classes and a program that sounds pretty special.

Definitely do UW Bothell then and finish your Bachelors. Sounds like it's super close and might help ease you back in. It's not nearly as huge as UW main campus. Figure out graduate school later.

I took out loans and my wife and I were lucky enough to be able to afford to pay them off. Don't view them as the end of the world, though. They exist to help regardless of all the horror stories.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks! Didn't realize this was a thread but I moved here in July and I'm looking for friends and people to talk about Seattle with ^_^

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Definitely do UW Bothell then and finish your Bachelors. Sounds like it's super close and might help ease you back in. It's not nearly as huge as UW main campus. Figure out graduate school later.

I took out loans and my wife and I were lucky enough to be able to afford to pay them off. Don't view them as the end of the world, though. They exist to help regardless of all the horror stories.

I might even get some of the general ed classes out of the way from Edmonds Community College to make the ease back in even easier. It's even closer than Bothell and would probably be even smaller. I don't anticipate making a lot of money as a counselor, but I suppose something I could chip away at over time.

The only reason I'm concentrating so heavily on MA programs now is I have to present a plan for the extent of the education I want to get to start at all.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
I went to SU for a while, and yes it was so expensive.

Multiple acquaintances of mine went to Antioch for mental health/counseling degrees, and from what I can tell they are satisfied and successful with that. They offer MA/BA in counseling.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I took five minutes of video showing the apartment complex construction project by my house diverting all the rain water to my street due to seriously fucked drain socks and emailed it to SDOT. They forced the contractor to remove all the drain socks. Woo fucking hoo.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
I have to help someone move today of all days. Wasn't it reported that yesterday was the most precipitation in a day in seattles history. And also the darkest day in recorded history?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I read most rain in a decade, not history though.

We had that insane rain that shut down I-5 at Olive Way that I think was way worse. Must have been 15 years ago though.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Lol, I landed at SeaTac right as the 2010 snow storm was hitting.

12 hours later was still on I-5 North finally passing downtown Seattle. Then was home in Shoreline like 15 minutes later. Saw literally 1 vehicle between DT and home was bizarre after being trapped for half a day in gridlock.

All in an Infiniti G35 coupe. Nothing like 300+ hp RWD on compact snow (it sucks.)

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I would have been losing my mind, my FWD Saturn (the one that got destroyed by the semi, RIP) had a hard enough time in that storm

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
[Remembers the time I flew out on the last flight before the airport shut down, and watching a car completely spin out on the 5 on the way]

If that's the November snow I'm thinking of, it took me 10 hours to drive from work in Auburn back home to Green Lake. Had our old Jeep Cherokee and just crawled in traffic. I saw people get off Metro busses and walk to the west Seattle bridge. The wind over ship canal was insane and cars were going even slower in pairs. That drive on I-5 is normally 30 minutes tops. That sucked.

edit: Yep. 2010. Riotous we have shared trauma.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be in Seattle visiting family+friends on Monday for the week.

Going to be freezing cold going from San Diego to Seattle, haha.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Was November 2010. Met my wife that year so I remember dates more clearly lol

That was awful. I alternated between Monday Night Football and KOMO 1000AM all drive listening to other people calling in to share their story of being stuck in traffic or without power. I'm actually amazed I did't run out of gas. It took me over an hour to crawl past the Rainier R. WSDOT had the Express lanes open going South which was stupid as fuck because no one was using them to get South, it would've helped us going North a ton and they ultimately apologized and admitted as such.

Even crazier was that my wife had flown to Nebraska that day for Thanksgiving and I was going to fly out the next day (took a bus to light rail on Rainier and made my flight). Her flight from Seattle to Minneapolis to Omaha was quicker than my 30 mile commute.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It was an actual disaster. If anyone involved had a medical emergency they were fucked. Lots of stinky cars I'm sure. Was fucking starving too lol

Had no clue that entire day if I should get off the freeway or stick it out. As soon as you got a bit north of SEA-TAC there was legit nowhere to go. Every exit was closed or insanely treacherous nobody was even trying them.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I left Auburn around 3pm and got to Green Lake around 1am. Traffic was fine going up Kent East Hill to I-5, but the snowfall got worse around Southcenter and that's when the I-5 snowy slog began. It was surreal. I had a bottle of water and some random snacks, but I didn't even think about food. I was just angry that it took so long to get home.

Crossing the Ship Canal bridge was a white knuckle anxiety induced fever dream. My exit at 65th NE was an icy snowy downhill slide. Hooray for 4WD.

hey i wanna move to seattle next year. should i not? whats the worst thing about the place

Housing is expensive. We're liberal but very passive aggressive and super white. If cloudy drizzly weather impacts your emotional state think long and hard about coming here. I'm a native and it doesn't bug me but I know it really has an impact on people.

Last edited:

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
Housing is expensive. We're liberal but very passive aggressive and super white. If cloudy drizzly weather impacts your emotional state think long and hard about coming here. I'm a native and it doesn't bug me but I know it really has an impact on people.
If you can afford to live in the city then it'll be fine. You can bus/train/rideshare to most places easily. Parking is expensive as fuck in the city as well.
That's fine. Rental prices suck, but they probably suck similarly in other cities like NYC and San Francisco.
ty. I guess depending on how the job search goes, I think i'll definitely make the move. idk what other city i'd go to where rent doesnt suck ass

leder

Oct 25, 2017
ty. I guess depending on how the job search goes, I think i'll definitely make the move. idk what other city i'd go to where rent doesnt suck ass
A very large part of what makes the area great is the surrounding natural beauty, which you can't really enjoy without a vehicle. Other than that we're turning into rainy, passive aggressive San Francisco with a far worse arts scene (due to a long, steady decline).

I dunno. It's still a great place but it's worse in just about every metric that I care about than it was ten years ago so it's hard for me to be objective. If I was just starting out, no way in hell would I move here.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'm born and raised here, grew up in South King County, went to college in Tacoma and have lived in Seattle since 2003, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else (except for maybe Friesland, The Netherlands) but I see how things have changed and why it's not so good for everyone.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
A very large part of what makes the area great is the surrounding natural beauty, which you can't really enjoy without a vehicle. Other than that we're turning into rainy, passive aggressive San Francisco with a far worse arts scene (due to a long, steady decline).

I dunno. It's still a great place but it's worse in just about every metric that I care about than it was ten years ago so it's hard for me to be objective. If I was just starting out, no way in hell would I move here.
I've heard a lot of people describe the place as 'passive aggressive' specifically. what's that about? Does it tie into the whole 'seattle freeze' thing? Damn is it really that bad?

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I've heard a lot of people describe the place as 'passive aggressive' specifically. what's that about? Does it tie into the whole 'seattle freeze' thing? Damn is it really that bad?

We avoid confrontation and tend to keep to ourselves. My best friend is originally from Wisconsin and I happily welcomed him into our friend group so I don't agree with the freeze in general. I think a lot of it is how it's harder to make friends as an adult.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
The Seattle Freeze is a separate phenomenon of people acting friendly and saying things like "we should totally hang out sometime!" with no intention of actually ever following through and ghosting you when you try to make real plans. It's not necessarily borne out of ill will, but it does betray a certain amount of narcissism that people are too busy and important to waste any time on other people that aren't already in their close friends circle. It's somewhat overblown, but it is definitely a very real thing. It's also a self fulfilling prophecy at this point because it introduces the game theory of "is this person actually interested in being friends or should I cut my losses and stop putting energy into the relationship?" https://www.seattletimes.com/life/l...gton-residents-dont-even-want-to-talk-to-you/

The passive aggressiveness is everyone just being pissed off and entitled all the time. People are outwardly generally very polite, but extremely judgmental and feel very easily slighted. Expect to make people angry all the time and have no idea. People love to give evil glares and complain under their breath. This goes for strangers on the street, coworkers, and even long time neighbors. It's extremely common for people to not even know their neighbors' names.

I'm born and raised here, grew up in South King County, went to college in Tacoma and have lived in Seattle since 2003, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else (except for maybe Friesland, The Netherlands) but I see how things have changed and why it's not so good for everyone.
It's basically a different city for those who got into stable careers before the recession and/or were able to buy property before ~2012.

Last edited:

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'm a 38 year old married dad. I've got lots of friends and not enough time to see all of them as much as I'd like. I'm also probably not exciting enough for a lot of people. My idea of fun is going to a brewery or bar and playing cards with my wife or hanging out at someone's house. [shrug]

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe They Just Don't Want To Hang Out With You
Well I wouldn't blame them, but the amount of people that have observed the Seattle Freeze makes it ipso facto a real thing. It wasn't just invented in this thread. It's describing a human experience, not some falsifiable property of physics or something.