• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Signal boost time: Pink Gorilla's University District location was robbed last night. If you know anyone in local resale/pawn/forum circles, spread the word.

If you're unfamiliar, Pink Gorilla is one of the longest-running game resale shops in the area, and Cody and Kelsey bought the original owners out a few years ago to revamp the shop and keep it alive. They've been on a great streak in recent years.

There's no list of stolen goods yet, and it sounds like that part of the equation might've been mild. (They keep most of their stuff in a separate locked-up room in the back.) The shattered glass buffoonery, on the other hand, can get fucked. If you know anybody who might've been involved, snitch their dumb asses out to Seattle PD, please.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
That sucks. I used to shop at the original location back when it was Pink Godzilla over a decade ago. I live pretty close to the one on the Ave but haven't been in there since they got rid of the arcade. I should take my daughter there to support them. I hope they find the asshole(s) who did it.

Not very many resale and pawn shops around, I'm guessing they flip whatever they took online.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Shit, that sucks. I've been wanting to go that store since before I even moved here, but I don't have much time or money to spend on video games these days.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My daughter got some cash for her birthday. The kid is obsessed with Pokémon and Dragon Quest so I'd say we should visit the store and help them out.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
AE2-E5-CC5-EA5-D-4706-B1-FF-E60-B093-A8-B49.jpg

Meanwhile in Green Lake...

That's on the porch of a rental house on my street.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all. My partner and I are moving up there from St. Louis in the summer for her job (very unique artist gig). I have a bit of a weird situation.

I'm a software developer with 10.5 years of experience. My job in St. Louis is incredible. They really want me to stay with them and work remotely, but at the same time recognize that this is a voluntary move on my part.

I make 115k with amazing healthcare ($70/mo with amazing coverage covers my wife and I, they have not raised their costs since 2001). They offered me 131k to work remotely, and I currently have a 3k quarterly bonus, coming out to 143k total.

I know I could get insane money from bigger places like Google or whatever, but I also know those places tend to grind people down and don't have great work/life balance.

So, my questions:

A) is 131k base fair? It seems low from what I've seen, but that's possibly skewed by Facebook/Google/Amazon/Microsoft
B) my partner's a freelancer and can go months without work, so we want to be prepared for that. is 143k enough for two people in a place like Ballard? I'm pretty frugal. I was comfortable on my St. Louis salary a long, long time ago with both of us being supported by it.

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all. My partner and I are moving up there from St. Louis in the summer for her job (very unique artist gig). I have a bit of a weird situation.

I'm a software developer with 10.5 years of experience. My job in St. Louis is incredible. They really want me to stay with them and work remotely, but at the same time recognize that this is a voluntary move on my part.

I make 115k with amazing healthcare ($70/mo with amazing coverage covers my wife and I, they have not raised their costs since 2001). They offered me 131k to work remotely, and I currently have a 3k quarterly bonus, coming out to 143k total.

I know I could get insane money from bigger places like Google or whatever, but I also know those places tend to grind people down and don't have great work/life balance.

So, my questions:

A) is 131k base fair? It seems low from what I've seen, but that's possibly skewed by Facebook/Google/Amazon/Microsoft
B) my partner's a freelancer and can go months without work, so we want to be prepared for that. is 143k enough for two people in a place like Ballard? I'm pretty frugal. I was comfortable on my St. Louis salary a long, long time ago with both of us being supported by it.

You can definitely make it at 143k in Ballard. I lived in a pretty expensive apartment on Market Street for a couple of years on just over 100k. It was a significant chunk of my take home pay, but I still had plenty to manage the rest of my life and save a pretty good amount of money.

Honestly, you should be able to figure this out for yourself? I assume you've been looking at places to live if you already picked out Ballard? You should therefore know what your housing costs will be within a reasonable margin of error.

I also assume you know your current monthly expenses for the two of you, and from that you can reason that those expenses will stay roughly the same (again, within a reasonable margin of error).

Combine the non-housing expenses you know from experience, and the housing expenses you're looking at for your new home and you should be good to go.

If you don't know those numbers, well then that's where you should start. But again, under the assumption that your major monthly expense will be housing, you can definitely be fine at that salary level in Ballard.

As for how competitive your salary is, I do work in tech (as several others here do), and you're right, the average total compensation is driven up by the companies you mentioned.

In this area, it's also worth knowing that years of experience is less important than the specific projects and technologies you've worked on. So I could probably give you a better "gut feeling" if I knew your background/saw your resume.

As someone who does hiring, my gut feeling is you're probably right around the median. Maybe a little high, maybe a little low.

The area is crawling with recruiters, so if you really want to see what you're worth, update your LinkedIn, turn on the "I'm open to a new job" toggle, and just wait. Take a few calls, have a few coffees, and you'll get a good idea of what you can pull.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can definitely make it at 143k in Ballard. I lived in a pretty expensive apartment on Market Street for a couple of years on just over 100k. It was a significant chunk of my take home pay, but I still had plenty to manage the rest of my life and save a pretty good amount of money.

Honestly, you should be able to figure this out for yourself? I assume you've been looking at places to live if you already picked out Ballard? You should therefore know what your housing costs will be within a reasonable margin of error.

I also assume you know your current monthly expenses for the two of you, and from that you can reason that those expenses will stay roughly the same (again, within a reasonable margin of error).

Combine the non-housing expenses you know from experience, and the housing expenses you're looking at for your new home and you should be good to go.

If you don't know those numbers, well then that's where you should start. But again, under the assumption that your major monthly expense will be housing, you can definitely be fine at that salary level in Ballard.

As for how competitive your salary is, I do work in tech (as several others here do), and you're right, the average total compensation is driven up by the companies you mentioned.

In this area, it's also worth knowing that years of experience is less important than the specific projects and technologies you've worked on. So I could probably give you a better "gut feeling" if I knew your background/saw your resume.

As someone who does hiring, my gut feeling is you're probably right around the median. Maybe a little high, maybe a little low.

The area is crawling with recruiters, so if you really want to see what you're worth, update your LinkedIn, turn on the "I'm open to a new job" toggle, and just wait. Take a few calls, have a few coffees, and you'll get a good idea of what you can pull.
This is excellent. Thank you. Do you mind if I DM you more specifics about my resume and what not?

As for the part about figuring out the expenses, while I have a good grasp on rent, I hear wildly different stories on how expensive everything else is, so that's what made the barometer hard to gauge for me.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
If you dont have kids and are planning to rent, you'll be fine unless you want to live like a king or something. If you wanna buy, I dunno, that'll get into how much of a down payment you got and blah blah

Anyway, welcome to the neighborhood, hopefully the corona virus is gone by the time you move!

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you dont have kids and are planning to rent, you'll be fine unless you want to live like a king or something. If you wanna buy, I dunno, that'll get into how much of a down payment you got and blah blah

Anyway, welcome to the neighborhood, hopefully the corona virus is gone by the time you move!
I don't want to buy yet. Want to see how we like the area first, and then get a feel of where we want to buy. My house jumped in value here, so we think we will be leaving with at least 25-30k put aside for a future house as a starting point and build on that with more savings while we're in Seattle (I'm from St. Louis, so house prices are way, way lower - I bought for 118 and my realtor is confident we can sell for 150). And yes, no children nor planning on any (both are unable for separate reasons, though adoption isn't off the table in 7-8 years).

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure I'd have paid off my mortgage already if I coulda got a house that cheap around here, that would have been nicd

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017

I don't work at a tech job, but I've heard a lot of them promote work/life balance these days. It might not be fair to assume you have to grind out a lot of hours to make good money. With that said, 143k is definitely very solid.

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile: http://www.local360.org/

With a sad heart, we are announcing that Local 360 Café & Bar will be closing immediately due to the impacts of the Covid-19 situation. After all the group dining cancellations this month, accounting for likely impacts to Seattle tourism this summer, possible mandatory quarantine measures, and modeling shorter hours with fewer staff, it became clear that closing entirely is the only current option. Thank you for 10 wonderful years! Never say never.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Walked to grab a pizza from Frelard Pizza yesterday, around 5 PM (feeding kids before bedtime). It was crazy how little traffic there was on Leary. It's usually packed at that time.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, looks like I'm gonna be WFH for awhile and my kids are gonna be no school for awhile. If the Rona doesn't get me, they will. Remember me as I lived ERA, mostly hangry all the time.

BREAKING: Gov. Jay Inslee to order the closure of all K-12 schools, public and private, in King, Snohomish and Pierce counties starting March 17 until April 24.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
Walked to grab a pizza from Frelard Pizza yesterday, around 5 PM (feeding kids before bedtime). It was crazy how little traffic there was on Leary. It's usually packed at that time.
Walked to happy hour yesterday in Wallingford and was actually kind of surprised at how much it seemed like a normal crowd for a Wednesday at 5PM. I guess people had the same idea as we did and needed to get out of the house.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Walked to happy hour yesterday in Wallingford and was actually kind of surprised at how much it seemed like a normal crowd for a Wednesday at 5PM. I guess people had the same idea as we did and needed to get out of the house.

I was pleasantly surprised there will still people in the pizza place, but very few cars comparatively. WFH in the area I'm struggling a lot with figuring out how much I should not go to restaurants for my lunch break. I want to take advantage of being in fremont/ballard on my lunch break, but also is it a bad idea? How paranoid is too paranoid. I just dunno.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
This is already so weird. I got kindergarten assignments though email and apps and literally was my kid's teacher for today. Submitted a sheet to them my text too. My wife is feeling a little ill, might have it.
That's so sad. Crazy they just in an instant had to close. It was one of my favorite spots to eat and I recommended it to everyone going to the neighborhood.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
Went to dinner and at the end the waitress told us they were closing for 3 months and people are having to move back home. Heartwood Provisions. And it was delicious. Go there when they reopen!

Capital Hill was very quiet last night. Maybe 1/2 full the bars I went too

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'm on home isolation until my heart surgery (which might be next week, might be who the fuck knows when), but my wife strategically picked up takeout from Judy Fu's last night. She said it was slammed.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'm on home isolation until my heart surgery (which might be next week, might be who the fuck knows when), but my wife strategically picked up takeout from Judy Fu's last night. She said it was slammed.

i was talking to the brimmer and Heeltap owners the other night during the Seattle chefs chili cook off and it seems the local mom and pop shops nested in neighborhoods are doing ok , it's the everything in between that's getting slammed

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Those areas are often ghost towns outside of lunch and happy hour; entire DT economy is based on people driving into work; really gonna lose a lot of businesses here... then I'd assume they'll get replaced or re-opened once demand is back up.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
Went to dinner and at the end the waitress told us they were closing for 3 months and people are having to move back home. Heartwood Provisions. And it was delicious. Go there when they reopen!

Capital Hill was very quiet last night. Maybe 1/2 full the bars I went too
You're a health care worker in Seattle and going out to multiple bars? Smh

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
You're a health care worker in Seattle and going out to multiple bars? Smh
Yes I did. (also was only 2 bars smh) Went out several health care workers. Also went to a drag show yesterday morning and it was 1/3 full. I along with 50-60 other caregivers have been seeing patients with variety of symptoms and testing them. Thankfully we are all asymptomatic as we are following the strict protocol to the T.

Last edited:

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of bus fares and rear door-only access makes me feel a bit better about commuting to work this morning. Glad they did this.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Dany has your hospital discussed the protocol if one of the doctors/nurses has the virus? I ask because my husband's brother-in-law is a doc in Kent and just received a positive test result, but was told to only quarantine for one week and that if his symptoms haven't gotten worse, that he should return to work asap. That can't be right? Or is the situation in WA that dire, where they're just willing to risk more spread simply to have all possible medical help on hand?

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
Dany has your hospital discussed the protocol if one of the doctors/nurses has the virus? I ask because my husband's brother-in-law is a doc in Kent and just received a positive test result, but was told to only quarantine for one week and that if his symptoms haven't gotten worse, that he should return to work asap. That can't be right? Or is the situation in WA that dire, where they're just willing to risk more spread simply to have all possible medical help on hand?
Current protocol is 7 days from positive test (or symptoms onset). OR 72 hours symptom free, whichever is longer. So if someone has mild symptoms that take 10 days to resolve then its a 10 day quarantine. If tested positive you must wear a mask for 14 days total from symptom onset or positive result.

So the 7 day quarantine is Washington DOH and Swedish hospital guidelines. Could of changed form last week but thats what we are working we as medical staff who "should" be protected by PPE

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
The school year is cancelled. I had a feeling it would come to this, but I'm very saddened by the news. I've been home with my two kids nonstop since the closure.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
It's tough but it's the correct decision. We can't let up too soon and cause another spike in infections. My daughter is bummed but safety is ultimately the most important thing.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
Hey everyone, I just got redirected here, and while I'm more Seattle adjacent (by a Ferry at least) I'm glad to know we have a thread like this.