• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Welcome to a thread about Seattle, Washington, USA!

ug7BSnd.jpg

Talk about all things Seattle.

Some suggestions:
- Complain about high rents/housing costs!
- Complain about too much rain!
- Complain about not enough rain!
- Discuss the merits of putting cream cheese on hot dogs!
- Talk about how only <insert neighborhood> is real Seattle!
- Express interest in meeting up, but never follow through!

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
We're back!

Dog sitting for a friend in Cap Hill this week... His apartment is horrifically depressing, but my wife and I are loving the restaurants. Most of our exposure to local cuisine is in or around downtown so it's a nice change of pace.

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
Representing north shore, sitting on top of Lake Washington and still paying cheap rent for now. God, it is going to suck having to pay market rate.
too-damn-high.jpg

Rent%20is%20too%20damn%20high_4.jpg

Last edited:

Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
Buckley here! (half the people I know in Seattle don't even know where this place is)

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
only day for sleep is on my birthday

I'm OK with this

Live in a tiny cottage located directly underneath I-5 in the desirable Wallingford neighborhood - yours for only $700k! Wow!

Actually, that one is high on a nice corner, probably has spectacular views of the city and is directly in front of one of the most desirable elementary schools in the area. It's only a block away from the 5, but probably feels completely different than the horror shows on 5th. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but that might be a bargain. I don't know who owned it or lived there, but I met a super nice dude who was working on it for a whole summer and he really turned it around. Also the only african-american neighbor I "know." It's going to be loud though. White noise from the freeway is something people get used to. Depending on the wind direction, we can sometimes hear it from our front yard.

Edit: How do I activate Dark Mode and is there a mobile mode?

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, that one is high on a nice corner, probably has spectacular views of the city and is directly in front of one of the most desirable elementary schools in the area. It's only a block away from the 5, but probably feels completely different than the horror shows on 5th. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but that might be a bargain. I don't know who owned it or lived there, but I met a super nice dude who was working on it for a whole summer and he really turned it around. Also the only african-american neighbor I "know." It's going to be loud though. White noise from the freeway is something people get used to. Depending on the wind direction, we can sometimes hear it from our front yard.

Edit: How do I activate Dark Mode and is there a mobile mode?
Dark mode is in the works, for now you will need to use this thread as a resource. Temporary solutions until the official dark theme is released.

The mobile site is gorgeous and it works great.

As for the house, I'm mostly being facetious. It's actually kind of cute and realistically my wife and I don't need more space than that because we are not planning on having kids. Primarily, it is the proximity to I-5 that bothers me. It is so incredibly loud and will only continue to get louder as time goes on.

I'm a country boy so I like my sleepy suburbs - which serves me right that I can't find an affordably priced place I suppose because if I was willing to settle and live in a higher density area right next to a freeway maybe we wouldn't have such a terrible housing shortage in the first place.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark mode is in the works, for now you will need to use this thread as a resource. Temporary solutions until the official dark theme is released.

The mobile site is gorgeous and it works great.

As for the house, I'm mostly being facetious. It's actually kind of cute and realistically my wife and I don't need more space than that because we are not planning on having kids. Primarily, it is the proximity to I-5 that bothers me. It is so incredibly loud and will only continue to get louder as time goes on.

I'm a country boy so I like my sleepy suburbs - which serves me right that I can't find an affordably priced place I suppose because if I was willing to settle and live in a higher density area right next to a freeway maybe we wouldn't have such a terrible housing shortage in the first place.

How do I get to the mobile site though or is that also a script?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Green Lake, yo. I don't even want to think about how much my house is worth now. Crazy.

Took a day before I could get a code.

We bought a big house at the bottomed out nadir of the market after the financial crash. Luckiest purchase ever. We also convinced an old friend to buy the house across the street and he got a three storey four bed three bath colonial on a double lot for six something like with lake views and an orchard.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
We bought a big house at the bottomed out nadir of the market after the financial crash. Luckiest purchase ever. We also convinced an old friend to buy the house across the street and he got a three storey four bed three bath colonial on a double lot for six something like with lake views and an orchard.

We bought our place at the height of the market in September 2007. Thought we were absolutely insane for buying when we did at $445k, but it's worked out just fine. Sure helped that the Roosevelt light rail station wasn't announced until about six months after we bought our place. 3 1/2 more years! Only a couple blocks from us.

Now my concern is that we could easily sell out house, but then finding another place would be hell. Good thing I like my house.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I love my house, I've remodeled a ton of it myself and would have a hard time parting with it knowing that a developer would just knock the house down and put up condos or something instead. My wife however covets Tangletown and would love to have a house with one more extra room, and a back yard would be nice for our daughter.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I just spent a month and a half moving 20,000+ tons of stone and digging trenches to build a retainingwall/garden in my backyard, so I'm never moving ever.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
howdy all. planning to move to west seattle soon enough. What advice can ya'll give?

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I just spent a month and a half moving 20,000+ tons of stone and digging trenches to build a retainingwall/garden in my backyard, so I'm never moving ever.

I have nothing left to redo in my place. Built out an unfinished basement with a pantry, living room, bathroom, laundry area, redid the other two bathrooms, built a patio and a pergola out back, repainted every room. I know some people hate all the worked involved with being a homeowner but I love it.

I guess we could redo the kitchen someday.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
West Seattle is rad, still relatively bargain compared to "normal" Seattle, and the traffic CAN be horror show getting across the bridge, but I wouldn't move there unless I had a view. But it also has some of the best views, restaurants and beaches.

Yeah, we realized a couple of years ago that even if we got like, suddenly rich, we're already right in the neighborhood we want to be, and don't need more space. part of me wants a usable garage, but I would settle for a hot tub in the corner of the yard.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm incredibly pleased that most of the rhetoric in the campaign has coalesced around housing affordability.

Given the current state of things, maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but I am pleased nonetheless. I hope whoever wins will be able to offer real solutions to ease the pressure.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My wife and I are voting for Moon, but I still have a feeling Durkan is gonna win in a landslide.

I also don't think either of them will sadly be able to do much in regard to housing affordability.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I are voting for Moon, but I still have a feeling Durkan is gonna win in a landslide.

I also don't think either of them will sadly be able to do much in regard to housing affordability.

Moon and Durkan have equally terrible ideas about how to deal with homelessness that do more to generate new homeless visitors than they do to deal with the specific sets of radically different problems that create and in some cases, encourage homelessness. They need to deal with those issues, not the blanket term. We need better mental healthcare. We need better addiction treatment. We do need more affordable housing, but that's a pipe dream for 99.999% of the homeless regardless of how "affordable" a two bedroom condo in Ballard is. We need to acknowledge that most of our homeless are not the poster-child of a single mom with two kids struggling to get by. They're folks with real institutional issues and that homelessness is an effect, not a cause.

Job One: Get the police to crack down on the heroin dealers that run these encampments.

remember the crack epidemic in the 80s? Where we threw thousands of addicts into the criminal justice mill and created more harm than good? We did that because they were black and we are a fundamentally racist society. Heroin and opiate abuse is an issue that predominantly affects white people, and so it's a "health crisis," and in America we deal with that by bankrupting people and tossing them into the streets.

Housing access and affordability ARE a crisis, but we need to split that off from the other root causes and drivers. We need to deal with it surgically.

/rant

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I have nothing left to redo in my place. Built out an unfinished basement with a pantry, living room, bathroom, laundry area, redid the other two bathrooms, built a patio and a pergola out back, repainted every room. I know some people hate all the worked involved with being a homeowner but I love it.

I guess we could redo the kitchen someday.

I actually really enjoyed the project, myself. Coming off shipping a game, took some time off work, spending days in the nice weather enjoying the fresh air while not thinking too terribly hard (except when I hit a few snags) and working my body to physical exhaustion every day was actually really therapeutic. But, now I've got a nice ass garden that I built myself and I don't want to leave it :)

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I love manual labor, I find it really cathartic. Don't have to bring the worries home with you, you get to see what you've accomplished and it's a good workout.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Durkan is the Murray of the race sadly. Moon only won because of that Stranger endorsement. But realistically other folks screwed up going for Jesslyn Farrell as well during the primary.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Stinkles
I don't disagree... Homelessness is an incredibly complex issue and the one-track approach that the city has been set on (and unfortunately looks like it will continue to be set on) is definitely not the solution.

It's clear at this point that additional shelter space and voucher programs are not the solution. We need to treat the root causes, not the symptoms.

Boo

Oct 25, 2017
That's weird. I have a few friends that bought houses in Shoreline because it's quite a bit cheaper than inside the city limits.

Yeah, it seems everyone I know has either bought or is looking in Shoreline as Seattle proper is crazy. Edmonds is getting there too - homes around here going over asking price and off the market within a month or so.