• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
An slight alternate ending was found in the files of the Samurai Jack: Battle Through Time PC version. No one has unlocked it legitimately yet. No one knows the condition to unlock it through gameplay either. The assumption is finishing the game in the Master's of Masters Difficulty.

It slightly retcons the original ending. Image found on 4chan.
XiRAXbS.jpg

Video

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had a suspicion the game would do something like this and holy shit they actually went and did it?

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was the original ending?
In the show and i'm assuming here, Ashi ceases to exist since she was from a future where Aku exists and since Jack gets to go back to the past and kill him.... basically wipes her from existance and it happens at the wedding

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
In the show and i'm assuming here, Ashi ceases to exist since she was from a future where Aku exists and since Jack gets to go back to the past and kill him.... basically wipes her from existance and it happens at the wedding
What a fucking shitty gotcha ending.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god, I'm so curious right now. I'm so curious what led to this new ending.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

It annoyed me greatly that it happened at the wedding. like, why did it take so long for it to take effect?

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Not surprising, especially since beating the game normally

stops right when you beat aku and Ashi's in pain. It doesn't even show the wedding, it just kind of ends.

I'm pretty sure it's Master of Master Ending too, which I don't even know, lol. I still have to beat a couple bosses on Master of Samurai before I can even unlock it.

If I'm being honest, it's partially why I bought the game. Glad it's in.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
The first ending sucked so much they literally made a game to apologize and fix it.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Huh. Well, that's great for those who really liked Ashi and how Season 5 ended.

I know I'm in the minority when saying this, but you can put me in the group who really liked the first three episodes of Season 5, but wished the rest of the season continued exploring the hero's journey and the identity of the hero when their journey stagnates. I love it when Jack was on his own wandering Aku's messed up future earth, and he's slowly coming to terms that he can't undo what's been done, and needs to move on.

Not to say I hated the direction where the season went, and I'm happy the series finally got a fine conclusion, as a lot of shows never get that chance.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
my problem with the original ending wasnt
that ashi died, its that it entirely focused on her over anyone else presumably erased & is set up as this hyper tragic scene (it happens at their wedding!!) but i never bought into the relationship between her and jack at all so it all fell flat. Wouldve been stronger to me if the rest of Jacks friends and bonds built throughout time also being erased was more upfront instead of being left as an unspoken implication since i cared more about them over a super rushed unconvincing relationship.
but cool they changed it i guess

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
What's even nicer is that you can also use this to say that the future still exists and all the people he met are still around just without Aku there anymore to ruin everything

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
What a fucking shitty gotcha ending.
To be fair
Jack and Ashi's relationship going from enemies to mentor/mentee to friends to lovers was rushed AS FUCK so it felt super fucking awkward, especially since Jack was like chronologically in his like 50s by that point.

The last season of Samurai Jack was a very "Amazing Until It Wasn't" kinda show.

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
Super Robot Wars pulled the same thing with the OG Gurren Lagann Ending

Final attack at 32:44 if you want to see only that.
And I agree that it's better this way, let them be happy after so much pain.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
might as well ask

is this game good?

It's clearly budget, but I had a lot of fun with it. The Combat isn't tuned to be mega enjoyable on hard on a first playthrough, but it's pretty enjoyable.

So after having just beat the game, I overall like it, but it has some big flaws that really present themselves on the 'MAster of Samurai' difficulty. I'm annoyed to say that I was able to beat all of the levels on the difficulty on it except for Aku City and the Final level, where I had to drop the difficulty on the respective bosses of each to win.

To give a tldr at the beginning, based on a hard-mode run, I'd give it a 7/10 at the lowest. It's a great, if short, game that is nice fanservice for the series and plays fairly well. It's no titan or anything, but the gameplay is very competent for what it is. There are enough flaws in the system, however, that, unless you're looking for a head-to-wall-banging challenge, I would not recommend doing Hard mode on the first run. It's certainly possible (as I said, I only felt to drop it on 2 separate occasions and this was on the Bosses of their stage), but you will most likely die often and it won't always feel like it's your fault and definitely extends the playtime (10 hours is what they suggest, I got it in 17).

I'd recommend the Fists over the sword for your 'permanent' weapons (Jumping Strong is faster and has better tracking to help with small enemies) and for the breakables, the Hammer is the best of the bunch; it has a significant amount of hyperarmor and the ability to get Aggressive defense options that straightup block damage while attacking instead of just armoring through them as well.

--

As has been mentioned in the thread, while the game is very good, you can definitely feel the budget and it's most apparent on the higher difficulty as the flaws with the battle systems (primarily, I feel, hit detection) are most apparent here. Word of advice no matter the difficulty: LEARN THE PARRY and USE THE BLOCK! The enemies often have extended hitboxes on their attacks, especially the glowing red attacks that you can't block. Enemies will also get into a defensive stance quite often seemingly just because. This is important to know because, with these 2 combinations of factors, the enemy can often retaliate very fast (too fast sometimes) while you're mid combo and catch you off guard, dealing massive damage on hard.

The worst part, though, is the mobbing that the enemies do. They're absolutely brutal at times and Jack does not get sufficient i-frames from getting hit so most of the time, if you screw up and start to get juggled, the enemies will just pummel you, so it's super important that you work on not getting hit in the first place. Unless you get the proper times to block down, be prepared to get ganked and wombo-comboed quite often.

--

As an aside, I think the Steam Achievements are bugged, cause I don't have any, lol

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Oh, I just remembered when telling my friend about the ending and 'how' it goes this new route, there's also a butt ton of Talismans scattered throughout the game as collectibles that literally don't do anything, maybe the ending is related to those.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I really didn't like where the last season went to begin with, so this ending means nothing to me

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the original ending felt a bit cruel for cruelty's sake, and it soured me a bit.

So I'm honestly glad Jack can get a happy ending like this.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The original ending was trash, so this definitely makes it better. Though, if it were in the show I'd probably still look somewhat unfavorably towards season 5. Just attempting to rush an Ashi and Jack romance felt poorly thought and honestly unneeded. Still can't believe they thought they could do the original ending without any of the groundwork for it to actually land.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gurren laggann spoilers:
I don't like the animes ending cause this doesn't even make sense in the context of the show. She disappears cause the anti spiral are gone but then you find out that they're traveling space cause they're still fighting the anti spiral anyway. If they anti spiral still exist why did she disappear...? Movie version fixes this by swapping the line to "going to other universes to become friends" or some shit like that.