Which of the following SNES games do you prefer?

• Secret of Evermore

Votes: 123 33.6%
  • Secret of Mana

Votes: 157 42.9%
  • Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3)

Votes: 86 23.5%

• Total voters

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm always perplexed about Secret of Mana. I could never get into it, personally. I borrowed it from a friend once in high school, and I didn't get far into it before I got frustrated and returned it to my friend. The same friend later let me borrow Secret of Evermore, a game I not only finished but liked enough to request my own copy of for Christmas that year.

I can see why Mana was popular back in the day. It's an ambitious game. I don't know if it's the first game to do this, but it seems to me that Mana's hook was that it was supposed to introduce a lot of elements mostly exclusive to turn-based RPGs to more of an action RPG formula. I won't dispute the fact that Mana was something special upon its original release on SNES, but the game is a trainwreck from a technical perspective.

The game runs really poorly, and it feels like it's barely holding together at the seams at times. There's TONS of slowdown, and the color palettes and sprite work glitch out a lot, especially when spells are being cast on-screen. Your party's A.I. is TERRIBLE, as you'll either find yourself struggling to advance in dungeons as your party members get stuck on EVERYTHING, or you'll find yourself whisked away to the next area you can't return from because the entrance to that area got between you and one of your party members, or one of your party members will flat-out get stuck to the point that you have to just reset the game and try again. And the lack of feedback with respect to why you're not able to hit many enemies is just infuriating.

Evermore doesn't seem to have these problems, yet it doesn't seem to get anywhere near as much love as Mana. I mean, sure, maybe there're some light performance issues, and I'm sure the color palettes get a bit weird at times. The partner A.I. in Evermore at least seems to benefit from various other features to ensure you don't get stuck so often, and you're not tethered to your dog in Evermore as you are to your party members in Mana. Plus, your dog gets to cheat and go right through stuff blocking its path if you get too far away, anyway. And whiffed hits look like whiffed hits, because you're told when you missed, even if you connected with the enemy hitboxes.

Now, I'm currently playing through Mana, and I think I'll finish it this time. I think I just want to have it as a point of comparison for when I play the remake, as well as for when I play through Trials and its remake. I do think Mana is an important game, but I think it's odd that it's left without a "definitive" version, even in the form of a fan-made rom hack or something, that doesn't fix its very clear issues. Or maybe something more ambitious, such a total conversion of Evermore that makes it play like Mana, but with a presumably much more solid foundation. I mean, games with far less egregious issues have been overhauled with bug fixes and quality of life improvements, so why does this gem not get the same treatment?

EDIT: Interestingly, there IS a supposed improvement rom hack of Secret of Mana called Secret of Mana Turbo, but it makes a LOT of changes to game play instead of outright making improvements to what's there. You can, at least, supposedly toggle individual changes on/off, but certain improvements (such as party battle A.I.) disregard in-game settings at the moment.

Anyway, does anyone else here prefer Evermore to Mana? Who prefers Trials? And what're your thoughts on Evermore?

Last edited:

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It's systems weren't fully cooked. There are a few alchemy recipes that just win the rest of the game if you grind a little, and others that were crazy expensive for parts and also mostly useless.

It also lost the key selling point that Secret of Mana had at the time, which was pick up and play multiplayer for an RPG. But the writing, the original concept, and the gameplay absolutely make it worthy of remembering next to Secret and Trials as a sort of quintet-esque trilogy.

So yeah, super underrated. Shame its American production means it will never be given any attention by Square ever again.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Mana has some things going for it that Evermore doesn't, like the music, but the pacing is broken and the story (translation) becomes really threadbare and impossible to follow after a while, to the point that it's better to just play it while following a guide so you can figure out what you're supposed to be doing.

Evermore is less well known, less flashy, and has not-as-good music but I like it more (partially because I owned it as a kid and played it long before I ever played Mana). It has a narrative that you can actually follow, with similar but cleaned up gameplay.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
This game let you put in super long character names for a SNES game, I remember laughing out loud at Retronauts when Shane said he named his character "I Wish I Were A JRPG"

SupraDarky

Oct 29, 2017
Over the years, I've only come to appreciate Evermore more and more. I used to have Mana in front of it, which is still one of my favorite games, but Evermore has overtaken it at this point. Its atmosphere is still amazing to this day, very immersive.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Looove this game so much. Played it so many times as a kid but never finished it.
I love the weird monsters, the collecting of materials, doggo companion, and unmatched atmosphere. Such an ambitious game, and it's freaking huge.
Salabog used to freak me out haha

I used to play all three of these SNES mana games as a kid, emulated on PC.

All three games have their strengths. SoM has the co-op, the cool weapons, charging and upgrade system, and the sweet fantasy music.

'Trials'/SD3 has the best characters, story, dope music, and the class system.

And Evermore, for it's atmosphere, and sense of adventure...

Ive played them all, but I think I've played SD3 the most.

There's just something so magical about Evermore though...

They're all beautiful games.

I hope Nintendo release it to the SNES Online, but I doubt it would happen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Shame its American production means it will never be given any attention by Square ever again.
Oh, you know, only as you say this do I finally "get" why Square-Enix doesn't even acknowledge Evermore. It's kind of the modern problem of how Square-Enix blames its financials on its Western studios and products. It seems like that mentality has been around for a long time.

and the story (translation) becomes really threadbare and impossible to follow after a while
This is why the rom hacking situation baffles me. You could probably find 50+ far less popular and more text-heavy games than Secret of Mana that each have 5+ fan translations. With Secret of Mana, you have, "Err, well...I changed the font." Is the game just too much of a busted mess underneath that it's not feasible to give it the royal treatment or something?

It's nice to see a few people in here saying they prefer Evermore, at least. Frankly, I'm always impressed when anyone's HEARD of Evermore.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
He's a loser with a stick :) Seriously though, I remember liking it more than SoM. What is Era's opinion of SoM anyways? I know quite a lot of people don't like it all that much, myself included.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked it. Thought it was a great game and still do. Traveling through time and alternative worlds with your dog was an interesting concept

Scarlett

Dec 5, 2020
I have fonder memories of Mana since I loved FFAdventure and played it co op with my cousin, bit Evermore is a special game.

I'm not sure which I'd put over the other. Both did exactly what I wanted out of them.

OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I have fonder memories of Mana since I loved FFAdventure and played it co op with my cousin, bit Evermore is a special game.
Final Fantasy Adventure does seem interesting. I'm thinking of playing that after I finish Mana, as I just wasn't initially prepared for how primitive it was when I first tried it, I guess. It seems like a really solid game as far as Game Boy games go, but it also really doesn't do much to hold your hand when it comes to knowing where you're supposed to go next. Haha.

And I'm kind of shocked that Evermore is holding its own in the poll.

Scarlett

Dec 5, 2020
Final Fantasy Adventure does seem interesting. I'm thinking of playing that after I finish Mana, as I just wasn't initially prepared for how primitive it was when I first tried it, I guess. It seems like a really solid game as far as Game Boy games go, but it also really doesn't do much to hold your hand when it comes to knowing where you're supposed to go next. Haha.

And I'm kind of shocked that Evermore is holding its own in the poll.

As a kid I'd always lose my place or get stuck on obvious uses for puzzle solutions if I set the game aside. Many a restart. Beat it maybe a dozen or so times. I used to just sit with the title screen music and feel melancholy for an hour.

It has its rough spots, but you could have a chocobo and smash things with a mattock and it had familiar FF NES sprite reuse, so that was all I needed to be in.

OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
WHO

is voting Mana over SD3

Y'all fuckin around
I'm kind of kicking myself, because I really hope it isn't because of this:

Trials of Mana, I haven't played this yet since it somewhat recent releases, so I can't say anything about it. Also, it never made it to the SNES, so it really doesn't qualify for this poll.
I mean, surely ResetEra wouldn't let Trials lose to Mana on a technicality, right? Just because I didn't say Super Famicom, as well? XD

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018
Secret of mana was cool for co-op, but evermore made a much bigger impact on me. Loved the various settings and the transforming pupper.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
Evermore is one of my favorite games ever. I really enjoyed the story and setting(s) much more than Mana back in the day. It's a game I can still slide into today and have a great time.

Jul 7, 2021
Voted for Trials of Mana, or rather, Seiken Densetsu 3 as it is the highlight of the Mana games IMO. And I'm still soooooo happy we got an official localization of the game I always wanted to have after seeing it in magazines. Really love Secret of Mana too.

Secret of Evermore never felt right to me, in part due to the lack of the real "Secret of Mana 2". It felt more like a fangame using Secret of Mana's engine. Not terrible, but not great either.

ironjoe

Jan 26, 2018
NYC
I absolutely love this game. Its the Donnie Darko of SNES titles. Weird, captivating (especially the music!) utterly nonsensical at points, and certainly greater than its individual parts. It will also really frustrate someone who goes in with clear expectations

I used to spend hours grinding up alchemy, which stupidly cost money to buy parts for (!) and some formula you could either never find in stores, or had limited copies throughout the game (Atlas why?)

To swing back to the music, it was composed by first timer Jeremy Soule (later Jeremy Ghoul) and has some really ethereal and haunting tracks. See "Fire Eyes" which only seems to play in one location in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qc8B05x27E. It doesn't even sound like music at first. As a kind I completely missed it because I thought it was just jungle noises.

I played this in 1995 right after I had moved back to the US from Dubai, so it was a very formative game for me, in an extremely weird time in my life (though I still prefer Mana)

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
I had no idea what secret of mana was back then so evermore was my jam. What a great game. Amazing music too.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
A big part of the appeal of Secret of Mana is that it was a co-op RPG released at a time when that was a rarity.

Evermore felt like a big step backward because of the lack of co-op.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I love Evermore, and I'd mark out if it got any kind of re-release.

Skoje

Oct 26, 2017
While i like evermore, Square thought it would be a good replacement for SD3 untill a couple of years ago

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
I've played through SoE over a dozen times. One of my all time favourites due to the atmosphere and music.

SoM always felt like it ended abruptly to me.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
it used to be more popular in the past but i think it's just one of those games that not many new players end up going to. someone getting into RPGs has so many choices in terms of classics and modern stuff.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
it's probably better than Secret of Mana, but Secret of Mana is the one I wish I liked more

Secret of Mana should be good and it isn't. that's a real crime

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Easily one of the best box arts on SNES imo

secret_of_evermore__47238.1565098506.jpg

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
So secret of mana was one of my favourite SNES games and we had a family friend who proposed a swap for secret of evermore for a couple of months. I quite enjoyed the game but it wasn't the same, I definitely preferred SoM. Anyhow a month or so passes and it turns out our friends moved to the other side of Australia so that kinda soured my experience with evermore, in hindsight though it was a really fun game in its own right and I wouldn't mind playing it again, now that I'm an adult the parts of the game I enjoyed less at the time actually seem more appealing

MissingString

Oct 28, 2017
Evermore is absolutely one of my favourite SNES RPGs and IMO far better than most of the B-tier RPGs (Lufia, for example) that do get remembered. I think it suffered from being a Square Enix game and having all of that expectation placed on its shoulders. It's no Chrono Trigger or FFVI, but that doesn't mean it isn't great.

OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I absolutely love this game. Its the Donnie Darko of SNES titles. Weird, captivating (especially the music!) utterly nonsensical at points, and certainly greater than its individual parts. It will also really frustrate someone who goes in with clear expectations

I used to spend hours grinding up alchemy, which stupidly cost money to buy parts for (!) and some formula you could either never find in stores, or had limited copies throughout the game (Atlas why?)

To swing back to the music, it was composed by first timer Jeremy Soule (later Jeremy Ghoul) and has some really ethereal and haunting tracks. See "Fire Eyes" which only seems to play in one location in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qc8B05x27E. It doesn't even sound like music at first. As a kind I completely missed it because I thought it was just jungle noises.

I played this in 1995 right after I had moved back to the US from Dubai, so it was a very formative game for me, in an extremely weird time in my life (though I still prefer Mana)
Probably the best atmosphere in any game.

Also, one of Jeremy Soule's first ever soundtracks. I know he's a...problematic figure...but the music in the game is astounding. So haunting.

View: https://youtu.be/4_gulHBBmDQ

I recall a number of people DISLIKING Evermore for its lack of music in many spots, as the game relied on environmental sounds a lot of the time. That said, there're still a lot of different music tracks in the game, and they're of a pretty wide variety. Honestly, I think the only background music/noise I don't like is the music that plays inside Tinker's place.

There is one place where it's adequately rated, though.
I'll have to check out that review. Thanks!

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
SoE was one of those games for me that ended up being greater than the sum of its parts. Some of my all time favorite games (FF VI and XIV, Fable 2, Dragon's Dogma ect) fall under the same umbrella. SoM is probably the better game overall (and good multi player RPGs were pretty novel back then) but the locations, characters, music and story were all amazing (bonus points for the game putting an awesome nerdgirl, large attractive woman and talented old black guy in the main cast). A little bit of touchup in the alchemy section and giving a bit more for the doggo to do it combat/boy to do outside of combat and it would have been near perfect.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
We don't talk about Secret of Evermore enough on here. In part it's because SE tried to ride the "Secret of" train to another title and instead people just confused the two. The humor in Evermore was great. The town is literally called Podunk, USA. The dog changing its form with every new era you end up in was just a blast. There is a more chill feeling to combat most times. Camera is much tighter. Though at times you found some odd difficulty spikes, the cleaner gameplay made it feel a bit easier. Using Alchemy to make "spells" was a different and innovative system, with some spells having common parts that you needed to balance out. It's not without its flaws, though. I always liked that when the dog was "knocked out" it would just follow you around and lay down without taking actions.

Kientin

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Secret of Evermore definitely my favorite of the three in the poll and I do really like the other two. No doubt SoE has some faults, but the two major things that win it for me is the thick atmosphere that a lot of areas have due to their darker tones, and moody ambiance and music. The other thing is that I greatly prefer how "magic" is handled in the game due to how it doesn't pause the action. It may be a bit more broken as a result, but I sure have a blast kicking up multiple crush alchemy attacks.

Also this has been stuck in my head for years:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_C2b13CeM0

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Evermore is great, yeah. It's just too short. It needed at least one more era.

Trials of Mana is absolutely the best of these three games though. No contest. I think most people who are voting for Secret of Mana over Trials are doing so out of nostalgia.

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
My favorite game as a kid and i still replay it every 3 to 5 years.

Nothing to trash about this game for me.
I even like the fact that you have to pay for the alchemy.

I still remember how i had difficulty beating the swamp boss at first and how the rat boss almost soft locked me!
I remember being lost in the mazes and be so happy to finally beat them.

So many things seemed like true secret and this game like finding the locations of hidden recipes or secret passages behind walls.
I loved that the guide that came with the book shower just screenshots of some of those places so you knew there was something to be found but didn't know we're. Like the long ass hidden corridor in the minotaur's dungeon that starts three rooms away for the secret room.

Characters were great, humor on point... I could spend hours speaking about this game

French localization is great btw.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite part was this bazaar section where you had to trade in countless items for a quest item