• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I figured this could use a new thread rather than being buried in the old one.

YouTuber Jay RPG has had a chance to play a more recent build of the Secret of Mana remake, and it appears to have been improved dramatically in terms of visuals. It actually seems to have lighting and shadows now. He also answers many specific questions that people have about mechanics and things of that nature.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I think I actually prefer the pastel look of the earlier build. Gave it a distinct look that I think fit the whimsy of the game.

I know a lot of other people didn't like it, though, so the change is probably for the best.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
The "art"style looks horrendous. It it weren't for the name, people would disregard this as an cheap Chinese mobile game.

Lumpy Onion

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Informative video and it's made this one a must buy for me. All NPCs being fully voiced is a pleasant surprise, and even a language toggle. After seeing this in motion I'm impressed. One thing I didn't like about that Adventures in Mana release was the sloppy hit detection and combat physics. This doesn't appear to have that issue at all.

varkuriru

Oct 28, 2017
Alright, this is looking promising. I was already almost on lock since nostalgia is overpowering me; just need a good set of reviews to confirm there is nothing broken and that it is a solid remake and I am in day 1.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
What was with all of those cutscene errors?
NPC's walking into walls for seconds, the girl being missaligned for the scene and running into the hero... weird.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Only problem i have with visuals like this game and Lost Sphear the games visuals resembles mobile games looks too much, not custom enough if that makes sense makes it look cheap and low effort put into the remaking

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
What was with all of those cutscene errors?
NPC's walking into walls for seconds, the girl being missaligned for the scene and running into the hero... weird.
This happened in the original sometimes too. I wonder if they are building on top of something existing or if they recreated these weird hiccups on purpose?

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Game looks so much better with shadows now. Excited to play this in February.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how a game from the 90's (Legend of Mana) can still look leaps and bounds better than a remake in 2017.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I never had any particular probs with the artstyle just the shadows and lighting which are being improved. Can the minimap in the corner be turned off though? it's a bit distracting.

National Scar

Oct 27, 2017
I'm buying this, but I have to say that the updated translation rubs me the wrong way with one line in particular: they now say "Mushboom takes a critical hit!" instead of the vastly superior "Mushboom gets whacked!"

They should put the old one back.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Square, 1995:
Yasuhiko Kamata: To be honest, the first thing I thought was, "We need to make [Chrono Trigger] something that's not Final Fantasy or Mana." I wanted to make it something that wasn't either of those but still very much a Square game. So first I thought about the in between. It is dank, but it's not as dark as Final Fantasy.

Gamest: And it's not as bright as Mana?

Kamata: Right. I think that Mana has white mixed in, like it's a pastel.

Square Enix, 2017:

D68oRD3.png

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
What's wrong with the pastel look? It gave me Kingdom Hearts vibes, and those are games whose graphics age incredibly well.

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't honestly play enough for this to be useful for me. Played the original on Switch earlier this year and honestly felt like everything started falling apart after the third party member joins. Visuals aren't offensive but not particularly inviting either. Overall didn't see a huge difference from the older build. Hard pass for me.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks a lot better. The lighting really makes it pop. I really don't get the hate for this, it looks like 3D renders of the original artwork.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't really get why they have to redo the whole game...

Why not just put in the cut CD version content, fix the dialog, fix the incredibly broken and unresponsive combat system, but keep the graphics, music, and overall gameplay feel to the game the same? Why does it have to be a completely new thing in a new graphical engine? IMO it's just uglier than the original.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty good, I had a good time with Adventures so I'm sure I will like this one too

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't really get why they have to redo the whole game...

Why not just put in the cut CD version content, fix the dialog, fix the incredibly broken and unresponsive combat system, but keep the graphics, music, and overall gameplay feel to the game the same? Why does it have to be a completely new thing in a new graphical engine? IMO it's just uglier than the original.

There is no "cut CD version content"... The CD game project, which was called Chrono Trigger, was scrapped in early planning stages way before they had anything playable completed. You can read more about it here.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an improvement, but still very much not my cup of tea. Hard to describe my dislike...sterile/plastic feel to everything?

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Yikes!! Well I'm not sleeping tonight.

3FoHuot.png

Looks ever so slightly better (not saying much) but for me personally I prefer the older SNES look and especially the movement. It all looks so sterile!

I don't understand how a game from the 90's (Legend of Mana) can still look leaps and bounds better than a remake in 2017.

Also this!
This is much nicer design and color!
tumblr_ncfneoASUh1qes8cgo1_400.gif

And simpler but richer animation
6-044.gif

76-084.gif

Different class altogether.

Last edited:

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
For those of you who hate the graphics, is there a 3D game that you think the remake should look like? Because there's no way this was going to be 2D, if it was they would have just done a rom dump and sold it for $10. So instead of comparing it to the original 2D game, how about throwing out the name of a 3D game that would better fit the graphical style you want the remake to go for?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who hate the graphics, is there a 3D game that you think the remake should look like? Because there's no way this was going to be 2D, if it was they would have just done a rom dump and sold it for $10. So instead of comparing it to the original 2D game, how about throwing out the name of a 3D game that would better fit the graphical style you want the remake to go for?

I mean, even Dawn of Mana looks better than this...

svLMPx4.jpg

uz4EPVG.jpg

Last edited:

incogneato

Self Requested Ban
Nov 8, 2017
Secret of Mana is an overwhelmingly overrated game anyway. As long as the music is retained and the battle system fixed, this remake would be vastly superior to the buggy original.

zenosparadox

Nov 13, 2017
Maybe I am imagining things, but I think it looks a little better now. Not great but still better than it was before.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The cutscenes are ugly but the actual gameplay looks alright to me. I'm more interested in the music, hopefully they haven't done a FFX HD