• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
My credit has been in chaos for some years and finally got almost everything cleared on it. 2/3 credit bureaus show zero credit with one having a very poor number (for now). I make decent money and looking for a secured credit line. I've already tried the place I bank at with no success so I'm looking elsewhere. I've boiled it down so far to Discover-It and Capital One Platinum. Leaning on Discover for the cash back rewards. Has anyone else been through rebuilding their credit? Any suggestions on other cards or practices?

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
So I did the secured card for the last couple of years as I rebuilt my credit, went from 500 to 700ish by keeping the balance on it under a third of it's limit and paying it every month as I worked on the other crap on my credit report.

I have no debit officially next month when I pay my car off, curious to see what it does to my score.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Are you me? Lol. I just got an offer for a Discover It card too and have a Capital One credit card. I'm always hesitant to use credit cards though. I just fear that it'll spiral out of control and I'll be in thousands of dollars of debt.
Unfortunately, rebuilding your credit takes time. Just gotta pay off bills on time and don't get your credit checked often.

This thread may help you. I'm not guaranteeing anything though.

Deleted member 3345

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always heard that secured cards don't help with credit building.

Apply for a store card like best buy or something.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
My wife came to this country with no credit history. Opened up a secure credit card for her at our credit union. After a year we got her 500 back and now she has a good credit raiting.

Its a bite but if you can spare the 500 initially its worth it.

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I go the Capital One card about 6 months ago.

I put down $99, got a $200 limit. After 5 months of on-time payments they raised my limit to $500.

OP
OP
Kaiken

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
hey Is the SelfLender legit? I looks like they report to all 3 credit bureaus. I think its coincided an nstallment loan.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance/self-lender-credit-builder-loans/
Sorry, can't help ya as I'm unsure.

My wife came to this country with no credit history. Opened up a secure credit card for her at our credit union. After a year we got her 500 back and now she has a good credit raiting.

Its a bite but if you can spare the 500 initially its worth it.
I'd definitely be starting with $500 and throwing all my auto-payed/small utilities on it. Paying these off will be no issue.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
About 6 years ago my credit was terrible. Something like 530 rating. So I made a plan to rebuild my credit and fix it. I started out by paying off my collections which were all medical bills I never paid. I also got a secured credit card for something like 250 I think. Get credit karma and track your progress.

After about 12 months I was able to convert my secured card into a regular credit card. Raised my credit limit whenever I could and over the course of another year or so, got a couple more credit cards, using them a little and paying off the balance in full. Once I established some positive history, I bought a used car. Paid it off, and got another car. Then I bought my house, traded my car in for a brand new car.

This process for me took about 5 solid years. Now I have a credit rating of 787 and don't have to worry about being able to need anything credit related if I have some sort of emergency.

But you have to stay on top of it. One late payment will screw the whole rebuilding up almost completely. Good luck

Edit: I got a capital one secured card to start

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just went through this. Just got a secured card with a small limit and use a certain percentage of that card then continuously pay it down. I had like a $1500 limit and kept my usage at like 20-50%.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This was one of my worries. I see a ton of Capital One posts, so I may look further into that.
CapitalOne is just a brand. Their cards are either MasterCard or Visa, so they will be accepted anywhere. Unless the merchant doesn't take credit cards in general. CapOne generally is a good start for those just starting out with credit or have middling credit. Over time, they slowly open up more credit or give offers to upgrade/apply to other cards with more perks, etc.

Deleted member 14887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't speak to secured cards, however Discover seems to be accepted at a less places than any other card in my experience. Also, if the Capital One secured card works like anything like their other cards I'd highly recommend. I've had good experiences with their customer service and I love their phone app for payments and purchase notifications.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
don't have any advice because we don't have credit scores in my country

just want to say that credit score systems seem to be a giant hassle
I will say this it is a giant hassle. I have not had a credit card or line of credit since medical bills forced me to file for bankruptcy over 10 years ago. Since then with a BR on my credit score I was able to purchase a house and two new cars with shit credit (sub 700). It's amazing what lenders will do for you when you have a decent down payment and have never missed a payment.

To the OP, you will need to play the game of micromanaging purchases on CCs and paying them off before the end of the cycle to raise your credit to where you want it. Play the game and it will go up.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
CapitalOne is just a brand. Their cards are either MasterCard or Visa, so they will be accepted anywhere. Unless the merchant doesn't take credit cards in general. CapOne generally is a good start for those just starting out with credit or have middling credit. Over time, they slowly open up more credit or give offers to upgrade/apply to other cards with more perks, etc.
If I remember right, I picked Capital One because they would convert it to a revolving credit card. There are a lot that don't do that. But you're right that Capital One is just one brand that does.

OP
OP
Kaiken

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
About 6 years ago my credit was terrible. Something like 530 rating. So I made a plan to rebuild my credit and fix it. I started out by paying off my collections which were all medical bills I never paid. I also got a secured credit card for something like 250 I think. Get credit karma and track your progress.

After about 12 months I was able to convert my secured card into a regular credit card. Raised my credit limit whenever I could and over the course of another year or so, got a couple more credit cards, using them a little and paying off the balance in full. Once I established some positive history, I bought a used car. Paid it off, and got another car. Then I bought my house, traded my car in for a brand new car.

This process for me took about 5 solid years. Now I have a credit rating of 787 and don't have to worry about being able to need anything credit related if I have some sort of emergency.

But you have to stay on top of it. One late payment will screw the whole rebuilding up almost completely. Good luck

Edit: I got a capital one secured card to start
This will be my story soon enough.

Looks like I'll shoot for MasterCard. Thanks everyone.

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
What exactly are credit unions? Are they just a different kind of bank? Do you get a debit card to access your money?

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It certainly does help. I'm a walking testimony. I went from low 500's to low 700's in 1y 1/2.

OP, my advice, start out with Capital One and Discover secured. Discover will unsecure in 7 months and they'll mail you a check.

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
My priorities have been shit these past few years (due to unpredictable family/personal issues) and my credit is atrocious/nonexistent after having a credit of 775+ a while back. I'm pretty sure I can't even open a bank account at this point. Looking to finally get back on the saddle and fix these problems. I was thinking of going a similar route as OP but I have to get my hands on a checking account (thinking a credit union if thats possible) to fund the secured card and whatnot. Any suggestions?

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I started with discover it when I was a student and I still use this card now. Great cashback(December was 5% back from amazon), great customer support and one of the few that offers live chat, zero foreign transaction fees, and decent offers. Just use it for small purchases on amazon or gas, pay it off when you get your statement, and your credit score will go up.

SillyGoose

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I started rebuilding my credit a few years ago I got a capital one secured card. Worked fine and now I have a real credit card and total credit of almost $10k.

Good idea also. I have best buy.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
when i started building a credit history 2 years ago, i went with Discover It for the cash back.

worked out great and their app is nice too.

after 6 months of on-time payments, they converted it unsecured.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Discover It has no annual fee and the limit matches your deposit of anywhere from $200 to $2500

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
I started with discover it when I was a student and I still use this card now. Great cashback(December was 5% back from amazon), great customer support and one of the few that offers live chat, zero foreign transaction fees, and decent offers. Just use it for small purchases on amazon or gas, pay it off when you get your statement, and your credit score will go up.
Discover has an incredible student-level card if anyone needs something to begin building credit with. No annual fee, and I'm pretty sure if you're late on a payment the first month has no late fees.

And their live chat rules. I've used it from their mobile app before which blew my mind.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Discover has an incredible student-level card if anyone needs something to begin building credit with. No annual fee, and I'm pretty sure if you're late on a payment the first month has no late fees.

And their live chat rules. I've used it from their mobile app before which blew my mind.
they give you $20 for good grades with the student card.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why not just get a CapitalOne credit card (they accept anybody), the basic one without any fees. Just use it once a month for some regular purchase like gasoline for your car, and pay it in full every month. Simple. You'll have a decent credit score after a few years.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend a secured credit card for renting at Hertz?

So a secured credit card is simply a credit card. Hertz won't be able to tell the difference.

What will get you in trouble here is secured credit cards tend to have really low balances because they only have however much you deposited, and car rental places will freeze a huge chunk of that available balance as a deposit.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
How does a secured card help with your credit when it's your money on the card? They seem fishy, like the Discover It seems to good to be true.

I need major help in rebuilding my credit. I just got a nicer job and started paying off my collectors (I owe about $3600 total between all three credit bureaus). My score is in the mid-500s. Since I can't get an "actual" credit card with my score, will a secured card really help or no? I have no idea what they really do.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does a secured card help with your credit when it's your money on the card? They seem fishy, like the Discover It seems to good to be true.

I need major help in rebuilding my credit. I just got a nicer job and started paying off my collectors (I owe about $3600 total between all three credit bureaus). My score is in the mid-500s. Since I can't get an "actual" credit card with my score, will a secured card really help or no? I have no idea what they really do.
it's not your money on the card.

it's a security deposit.

you still have to pay the actual bills etc on time, it's just that if you don't, they have the security deposit.

after X months you get the security deposit back.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

Because it shows that you have the capability to carry a balance and to pay it off on a regular schedule.

Nah. Store cards are the ones that aren't worth much.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
it's not your money on the card.

it's a security deposit.

you still have to pay the actual bills etc on time, it's just that if you don't, they have the security deposit.

after X months you get the security deposit back.

Because it shows that you have the capability to carry a balance and to pay it off on a regular schedule.

Nah. Store cards are the ones that aren't worth much.

So even with a score in the low 500s, SUPER low, paying Discover It will help my score that much just because I'm keeping up? I think I'll apply but I'm nervous. I haven't had a credit card in years.

ShaheedMalik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So a secured credit card is simply a credit card. Hertz won't be able to tell the difference.

What will get you in trouble here is secured credit cards tend to have really low balances because they only have however much you deposited, and car rental places will freeze a huge chunk of that available balance as a deposit.

Thanks.

Discover It has no annual fee and the limit matches your deposit of anywhere from $200 to $2500
That looks like the winner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kaiken

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to shoot a 3 month update after I took a small $500 credit limit on a Capital One card. I've paid all payments on time and never exceeded 30% of the card. My credit score has increased by 80 points since then. Next plan is to play with other Cards and loans once I hit 650-700 and keep pushing which at the rate I'm going should definitely be within the year.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had bad credit a while back and set one of these up with my credit union. My credit improved immensely after two years and I transitioned to real credit cards and a year later I was more than qualified to get a home loan. I'm sure many other factors came into play, but I imagine using the card and paying it back on time did help.

Oct 26, 2017
California

Do NOT listen to this.

Secured cards work (I used one and have 750 now), but it is a long game.

As someone stated, use it for daily purchases and pay it weekly, if need be. By the time the statement rolls around, make sure you don't have a balance that is greater than or equal 30% of your line limit.

I would apply for multiple if I could, and would if I could go back in time.

DO NOT GET STORE CARDS.

They are treated as junk cards for the most part by the bureaus. That, and you can only use them there. Only card I might consider ok for being a store card is Target's, since you can nab some decent discounts from time to time.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
If there is someone that really trusts you and can add you as an authorized user, I think that's a quick way to up your credit score/history. I did that for someone who didn't move to the US until grad school and had very minimal US credit history.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, fucked up my credit royally when I was in college.

I now have AAA credit.

Honestly, it just takes time. Getting things cleared can be helpful (sometimes) but ultimately it's about remaining vigilant, paying on time, keeping those balances low and monitoring your credit to ensure some worthless piece of shit doesn't steal your identity and fuck it up.

And having good credit is nice.

It's a great feeling to be at a dealership, have them run your credit, then have them come back ten minutes later offering to basically do anything to get your business.

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017
Credit/Credit Cards are honestly the most evil things out there. They make money on you by hoping you forget to pay them and charging you late fees.

That being said, I have risen from very bad credit to a slightly better than average credit in a few years. This is how I did it.

Find a company you trust, and get a card through them. Get one with no yearly cost, as those are usually not worth it. If you have bad credit, your only options may be cards with no rewards system. My first card was through Capitol One, and it had a $500 limit and no rewards.

The key here is keeping an eye on your limit. I never use a credit card for what its meant to be used for (buying things when I don't have them money available, but I assume I will.), I only spend the money I already have. If I have $300 in the bank, I don't spend $400 on the card, assuming I will find that last $100. Only spend what you have.

This may not be the best way to do it, but I pay off my card every month. I dont know exactly how the effects your credit, but it will prevent interest from gaining. Paying just the minimum is how things generally snowball out of control.

Keep up regular payments and never maxing out your credit, and then in a few months you can request a credit line increase, and get that $500 to $1000, and even higher.

Another way of gaining credit is buying some stuff, and financing it. It will require you to take out a loan, and that itself will ding your credit, but paying that off regularly will raise your credit. I recently bought furniture that I could have payed off in a day, but instead I got a loan on it with no interest for 1 year, then I did the math and pay off exactly what is needed month by month to pay it off in 1 year.

This is how I did it, but I had no help/education on the subject. If I am wrong on any of this, please someone correct me and don't let this person make one of my mistakes

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Selflender loans are great at building credit too. Alot more places are starting to offer these types of self loans that give you a decent credit entry without requiring the deposit up front.

You can also look into tradelines if you have some cash to spend.

Also if you rent you can pay someone to report that for you if its not already reported.

Banks like to see alot of different lines of credit managed well.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If there is someone that really trusts you and can add you as an authorized user, I think that's a quick way to up your credit score/history. I did that for someone who didn't move to the US until grad school and had very minimal US credit history.
This works really well. My mom did this for me, and I had credit in the 700s right out the gate when I turned 18. They don't even need to give you the card; just add you as a user, shred "your" card, and then use and pay their card normally.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Throwing my own experience in here.. Secured Credit Cards are AMAZING. I suggest you get one, put a monthly bill on it, Auto-Pay the entire statement and watch your Credit Score Sky-rocket. Mine went up to about 760's+ after using the card for only a year. It's the best decision I ever made to improve my credit.

I hate using Credit Cards because I don't like spending money I don't have. but I understand the importance of a good credit score. So I usually pay what monthly bills I can with it, set it on auto-pay, then forget the credit card even exists and check the statement once a month to make sure my payments went through.