• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
DRM renders a game unplayable years later?

What a shocking development nobody could surely have seen coming

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
i've lost count how many times i've been accused of being a pirate simply because i have a problem with invasive and shitty drm
They're idiots. There's a wait piracy thing here were people think emulation is piracy but taking advantage of a store glitch and whatever else for free games isnt

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
This is exactly why people still need patches and cracks, even as an entirely legal game owner. Losing access to fully purchased games can be a pain.

It's probably necessary for preservation even now, frankly. It's funny, though, if you buy the Amiga Forever stuff from Cloanto it comes with a bunch of games like probably about half of which are, specifically, cracked versions with scene intros

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean linking your game to an occasional online authentication with shitty DRM means that games eventually get lost when those servers eventually go down?

Era told me that wouldn't happen and that me being against invasive DRM was just me being a pirate wanting free games

This shit is the long term future for games with Denuvo as well, and people still believe Denuvo is a good thing.

Dude, did you just admit to a crime?

Ahaha

Last edited:

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Tron cracked weeks before release? Drm is both useless and harmful to legit customers.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. I loved the 360 version back when it came out. Probably one of my favorite movie tie in games.

Hopefully someone figures out a way to bring it back.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
I just showed the original Tron movie on Disney+ to my son and after watching the motorcycles scene I wondered, did we ever get a Tron video game close to that? was this game it?

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
This is the sort of thing where there should be a class action lawsuit if a patch isn't made available.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be great if Steam, or Epic looking to score some points, established a rule that any future game including extra DRM had to patch it out within a certain time frame, say, two years? Maybe they even have to have a branch of it ready to go on the server to publish? Because it's just a time bomb otherwise.

Oct 27, 2017
A quick Google search reveals the game was cracked before it was even released. Once again DRM only hurts people who bought the game.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Disney likes this. They don't want you using old media you already bought, they want you dependent on their services. Disney+, Disney deciding which of their back-catalog films (including Fox, Marvel, and Pixar) are released to theaters doing their own screenings, Disney (presumably) not relicensing Ducktales Remastered to WayForward, the Disney Vault, and copyright itself to tie it all together. Now you can give them $20 in 5 years for the TRON Collection and be grateful for a legal way to re-play this game.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Great. I've got it on disc, though I can't remember if it uses the same copy protection or just the disc checking kind.

Don't the DRM defenders say that if a situation like this occurs the publishers will just patch it out? Well, we're waiting. I think we'll wait a long time too. After Safedisc copy protection stopped working in Windows for disc based games, I'm aware of precisely zero games where publishers released official no-cd patches to address it. The only way to keep those games working has been through the "dastardly" pirates and their cracks.

Last edited:

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
At 9 years old why not just make the game DRM Free.

they have to pay some body to dig up the code and recompile it and it's not worth it. If they care enough, we had cases that they just packaged the crack and released that instead, that's the best you're going to get for games that are not popular.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
SecuROM đźš®

That DRM parasite caused(and still causes) such unnecessary issues for legitimate buyers.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Fun fact, SecuROM was made by the company that came up with Denuvo.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
This is my concern with digital.

Imagine Gabe sells Valve and some evil prick messes it all up and shuts it down. Hundreds of games no longer working.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
This game is rad, and it's a shame so many people consider games so disposable. At least pirates will have preserved this version, and the 360 version is backwards compatible iirc

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK

Imagine Gabe sells Valve and some evil prick messes it all up and shuts it down. Hundreds of games no longer working.

What concerns me equally are how many features there are integrated into games these days that require an online connection to function, even in single player modes. Take Mortal Kombat 11 as an example: AFAIK without a connection you lose the ability to access the Krypt, Towers of Time, any rewards, and this therefore means that you have no way to unlock things. One day the servers will be taken down and the game will be left with only a portion of even the single player content.

Like I said earlier, some people seem to believe that publishers will remove DRM or unlock features should severs go down, DRM expire, etc, but there are very few examples of this happening. In most cases they don't care unless they can make more money, and that's not even looking at instances where the original publisher or developer no longer exists.

Last edited:

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Valve has made enough public statements about Steam EOL that they'd be staring down some hard-to-win lawsuits. And probably worse. Sunsetting Steam, whenever that happens, will have to be done extremely delicately.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I am not saying this is a textbook example of why more times than not piracy is important for videogame preservation but ...

I am not saying you are actually saying exactly that, word by word, but...

I am also not saying I agree...

Dude, did you just admit to a crime?

f7b.gif

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This is the sort of thing where there should be a class action lawsuit if a patch isn't made available.

It is a revocation of a license that shouldn't have been revoked. If the EULA has an arbitration provision, it would probably be a slam dunk for any owner. If not, a class action (or small claims) case would be the next logical step.

It's basic contract law. Consideration was paid in exchange for a perpetual license. Said license was revoked w/o reason.

Great. I've got it on disc, though I can't remember if it uses the same copy protection or just the disc checking kind.

Don't the DRM defenders say that if a situation like this occurs the publishers will just patch it out? Well, we're waiting. I think we'll wait a long time too. After Safedisc copy protection stopped working in Windows for disc based games, I'm aware of precisely zero games where publishers released official no-cd patches to address it. The only way to keep those games working has been through the "dastardly" pirates and their cracks.

If they don't patch it owners of the game could end up being trouble for Disney.

Dude, did you just tell him to commit a crime?

Also how have i never heard of this Tron game

It's ok. TRON 2.0 was much, much better.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Thought I didn't own the game for a moment. Steam on the web isn't helpful when a game is delisted. Had to launch Steam proper to find out.

So what is the option to play right now? The Games with Gold version on Xbox One that I have?

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So glad that MS changed course on BC so early and started building a collection that (by their words) will persist through generations (this game is there, thankfully). Sucks that PC doesn't have a DRM kill switch to override these situations.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
What concerns me equally are how many features there are integrated into games these days that require an online connection to function, even in single player modes. Take Mortal Kombat 11 as an example: AFAIK without a connection you lose the ability to access the Krypt, Towers of Time, any rewards, and this therefore means that you have no way to unlock things. One day the servers will be taken down and the game will be left with only a portion of even the single player content.

Like I said earlier, some people seem to believe that publishers will remove DRM or unlock features should severs go down, DRM expire, etc, but there are very few examples of this happening. In most cases they don't care unless they can make more money, and that's not even looking at instances where the original publisher or developer no longer exists.

Yep, that sucks balls too. Probably worse as it's more likely to happen with a lot of games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Gabe Newell doesn't own valve, valve is not a publicly trade company. The employees, when they get hired at valve, are given stock in the company. The company is owned by all the employees at Valve.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Gabe Newell doesn't own valve, valve is not a publicly trade company. The employees, when they get hired at valve, are given stock in the company. The company is owned by all the employees at Valve.

Ok thanks, quite reassuring. Though... Wikipedia (linked to an article by Forbes staff) does say Gabe Newell owns 50% of Valve. Can he not sell 50% of the company to a secret douche?