• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

"Players trying to launch Tron: Evolution are now met with a message telling them that the 'serial key has expired'. This applies to the retail version as well as the Steam version which is delisted from the store. Players who previously bought the game from Steam cannot play the game, and are met with these messages:

fgx408j.png

The cause of this problem appears to be Disney not renewing their 'subscription' to the SecuROM activation system for this game. This means that even existing owners of the delisted game cannot play it for the foreseeable future."

More at the link.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I am not saying this is a textbook example of why more times than not piracy is important for videogame preservation but ...

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I have thoughts on this and how preservation can be achieved when no other means remain, but I'm afraid they will get me banned here, so I'll keep them to myself and just say "fuck DRM".

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly why people still need patches and cracks, even as an entirely legal game owner. Losing access to fully purchased games can be a pain.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
aren't there other Securom games that have been lost to this sort of DRM idiocy ?

and then theres Denuvo

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the authentication servers have always been the problem, not the user's connection. Said it since day one yet bizarre corporate apologists insist we're being crazy.

At least we usually have the option of cracking the game on PC.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Last time I tried to play Riddick EFBB/AODA I had to wait a day because they "accidentally" shutdown the DRM server.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously those people who "bought" it are actually filthy pirates.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a really, really great reason to not tie a game's playability to the awareness of it's existence from a giant corporation, then, huh?

Of course not, wasn't arguing that, just saying why it's not gonna be DRM Free anytime soon because Disney (or whoever they licensed it to at the time) can't be bothered if it's not gonna make them buckoo bucks. They don't give two shits, sadly.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
And who's going to patch the game? Neither the developer or the publisher exist anymore.

Some blame could be directed towards Disney because:
  1. They wanted DRM in there in the first place.
  2. I feel like they could do whatever they needed to get this game fixed but at best what they would do is: fix it, add "Remastered" to the title, put the game back up for sale but not patch the game for current owners.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course not, wasn't arguing that, just saying why it's not gonna be DRM Free anytime soon because Disney (or whoever they licensed it to at the time) can't be bothered if it's not gonna make them buckoo bucks. They don't give two shits, sadly.
No licenses this time around. Tron Evolution was made by Propaganda Games, and was a subsidiary of Disney. It was around the time Disney was trying to take video games more seriously. That studio is now shuttered along with the others they owned.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Glad I have a physical copy on PS3. Stuff like this really bums me out because this is a pretty fun game. I'm sure there's workarounds, but this stuff shouldn't happen in the first place.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Welcome to the glorious digital future
It affects the retail disc version too. DRM started way before download stores became popular, and it was actually worse then. They often relied on breaking compliance with CD/DVD standards in ways that were hard for consumer burner drives to replicate but that would go unnoticed by (most) reader drives. Of course that never worked 100% reliably, so there were plenty of cases where someone's drive would fail to read their legit copy of a game. And then of course there was at least one big scandal of a company installing rootkit anti copy software that opened huge security holes on users' machines.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
The failed capacitor/optical bit-rot of the digital age: expired drm license subscriptions.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't notice this game was delisted, I always meant to pick it up on Steam.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Since it seems like we have a lot of owners of the PC version in this thread, anyone got the EULA handy? Seems like a simple issue to resolve in arbitration.