• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
This thread is more of a condensation of things I've been talking about on Etcetera over 2019, and it's an attempt at building some concrete advice for my situation.
I'm also happy for others who are looking to flee to chime in and give their perspectives as well.
I want to leave this dry, yellow, fire ridden hellhole.
Ever since I saw the The UK and Ireland in 2018, I've been somewhat enamored with the prospect of escaping from where I live in Sydney and going somewhere rainier and colder, where everything is greener.
I wanted to do this for 2 reasons mainly, one, I enjoyed the atmosphere in those places a lot, and two, I fear greatly that much of Australia is gonna become near uninhabitable as climate change progresses.
The only places in Aus I can think of are Melbourne and Tasmania (I worry these places won't be good enough in terms of withstanding climate change, I hear Tassie is actually very dry), and to leave Aus entirely I feel my only option would be NZ (not actually a bad option at all, and I hear they just give you a permanent working visa if you are an Aus citizen over there, in fact Aus citizens seem to get away with a ton)
This bushfire season and the drought and the heatwaves have lit a fire under my ass. The smoke is choking.

But the idea of moving away out of my parents house feels near unattainable, much less moving so far away.
I have many issues with it, I feel I need 3 things to make the jump to move out in general:
1. Someone to move out with
2. At least a semi stable job
3. Savings

I feel I need someone to move out with, for both emotional reasons and financial reasons. I don't believe I have someone I can move out with though, much less someone willing to move so far. I also do not have a partner/girlfriend, and I never have, and I don't believe that trying to seek one out solely to move is likely to end up well.
I've never had a semi stable Job. I currently have a Pick Packing job that is Christmas casual and I will almost certainly lose at the end of January. During periods of unemployment I receive disability pension, as I am a diagnosed Autistic.
I have only the 3rd thing, savings.
My current financial situation is as thus:
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Disability pension is a big reason for me to want to stay in Australia (I doubt I will receive it in NZ), the financial cushion it provides is immense, and being on the Autism spectrum, maintaining job security can be difficult, so the support is important. (I do however, believe that the Disability pension could end up getting cut eventually as climate change squeezes the worlds economy)
My other reason is family. I may not speak to them often, but I like simply being around them, and I know I can count on them. The emotional support of simply being around people is important.
I want to ask what steps does Era think might be best to fulfill my wishes. What should I aim for?
Just moving out IN Sydney would be a good first step I think, but even that seems a huge step.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I fear that the housing market is gonna crash eventually, but when is a mystery. I feel like buying atm could end in financial devastation.
Edit 2: I am NOT planning on moving to the UK. It'd be overkill, and would isolate me from everyone I know, not to mention other issues. My holiday there inspired my desire to leave Australia, yes, but not specifically to the UK. Houses there are really tiny, anyway.

Last edited:

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
If you feel like you gotta go, go. Seems like you aren't really ready to make a move this year though. 2021!

Edit: I mean financially you seem ok.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
If you feel like you gotta go, go. Seems like you aren't really ready to make a move this year though. 2021!

Edit: I mean financially you seem ok.

Edit2. Thinking further, immigrating and getting on disability is going to be very tough. Especially in the UK in the next couple years....

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Stay within the commonwealth, its much easier to move to a country that was once part of the empire - such as Canada, we have a much easier immigration and VISA process with citizens of former british rule.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm not very knowledgable about moving to different countries but someone who is also autistic, I definitely would not want to be moving to the UK based on the recent election. Canada seems like the best play here.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
Stay within the commonwealth, its much easier to move to a country that was once part of the empire - such as Canada, we have a much easier immigration and VISA process with citizens of former british rule.

Yep good advice. One thing that will also help is having valuable skills and/or qualifications. If you work in area of employment where there is an acute shortage then it is far easier to immigrate.

Deleted member 18515

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand how you're feeling as I made the move from Sydney to Melbourne early 2019 because I disliked the rat-race feel of Sydney. However, in your situation I would recommend staying where you are, working on moving out of your parent's house, and maybe volunteering with some environmental groups to make some change. You're not going to stop the bushfires, but you can help with how you feel about them.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NZ could be dope

*See your financial situation. That amount of money can go pretty far in a lot of areas of the world but if you need to have someone to leave with I don't think you're gonna find that easily. I would stay in Australia and keep saving money and think about learning some skills that could help you land work if you leave the country. You're already qualified disabled in Australia so that's a luxury you won't have if you leave

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Come to NZ. You get a VISA on arrival, stay as long as you want and your driver license is an easy transfer.
Much cheaper to live here compared to Sydney too afaik.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Come to NZ. You get a VISA on arrival, stay as long as you want and your driver license is an easy transfer.
Much cheaper to live here compared to Sydney too afaik.

Would his disability pension transfer?

* I ask as an American who knows the pretty tough process of getting a disability finding (have represented them in social security hearings)

Vandova

Feb 14, 2018
I would stay and save up money, then go from there.

Edit: Acutally finacialy you seem ok, but I'd still hold the brakes and REALLY think about the pro and cons of leaving Australia.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Would his disability pension transfer?

That's a good question. I only know of superannuation schemes being transferable.
Im 99% sure you can still apply for it (ive had income support for disability previously and while it wasn't difficult for me, you'd have to contact work and income to find out)

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Why not find more relaxed places in Australia like up in the NSW/Victoria mountains, or Tasmania, rather than making a full international move at first? I hear great things about laid back culture outside of the cities.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Why not do something more short term? Like 3 months in Canada to test the waters and see if you like it? Even if it doesn't work out permanently, you still got an adventure out of it. Also, does Australia have the equivalent of the Peace Corps? Do some good while getting some hand holding.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
+1 on moving to a Commonwealth country if you're set on moving to a different country.

There's tons of Aussies in Canada, at least in Toronto and apparently Vancouver too. I'd check online for a community or resource on moving to Canada if you'd like to move here.

I personally work with a few other people from Commonwealth countries, specifically New Zealand and the UK, whose requirements for moving here may not be as strenuous as immigrants from non-Commonwealth countries.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I would make a move that is international a long term goal so that I have a safety net in terms of finances in case something happens. Making a move just to a new city would be a good testing ground to see if you can make it on your own. That way if it doesn't work out, you're not stuck in a country where it would be difficult to leave due to finances.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
As someone on the autism spectrum and currently on disability I hope you make it out! As a American I have zero chance of ever getting out of my country. I will be lucky if I ever get out of the rural town I live in...and that would depend on if I meet someone that has way more money than I have and takes me with them! Hopefully you can find the information you need and get to a better place for you to live, shit I'll trade places with you🤣

FrozenX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How's your French? Try Canada. England would only be great for holidays due to current European/political situation.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I don't blame you wanting to move out OP. The smoke and heat here is awful. Our govt's lack of acknowledgement and action for climate change is possibly even more suffocating at this point.

You should to talk to your NDIS advisor and come up with a plan to help you move out and achieve independence. Then plan on moving to another country after. If you don't want to move out yet (and that is both valid and understandable as living at home is far less of a burden financially) you might also want to try tackling all the adult responsibilities of the house hold to ready yourself.

You might also consider talking to family and friends. If you can get a job that you work online it can help while finding a stable job overseas.

You might also try temporary work visa overseas sometime later. Be sure to tell Centrelink to suspend your DSP and not cancel it because once you're off you have a shit ton of tape and paper to try and get it back if you need it.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I may have missed it but have you ever moved out of your parents house? If not up and moving overseas seems like a risky move IMO even more is with your financial situation. Achieving independence both in terms of living and finances should come first. Maybe try somewhere else in Australia in the mean time.

Phoony17

Oct 27, 2017
Narangba, AUS
This thread is more of a condensation of things I've been talking about on Etcetera over 2019, and it's an attempt at building some concrete advice for my situation.
I'm also happy for others who are looking to flee to chime in and give their perspectives as well.
I want to leave this dry, yellow, fire ridden hellhole.
Ever since I saw the The UK and Ireland in 2018, I've been somewhat enamored with the prospect of escaping from where I live in Sydney and going somewhere rainier and colder, where everything is greener.
I wanted to do this for 2 reasons mainly, one, I enjoyed the atmosphere in those places a lot, and two, I fear greatly that much of Australia is gonna become near uninhabitable as climate change progresses.
The only places in Aus I can think of are close to Melbourne and Tasmania (I worry these places won't be good enough in terms of withstanding climate change, I hear Tassie is actually very dry), and to leave Aus entirely I feel my only option would be NZ (not actually a bad option at all, and I hear they just give you a permanent working visa if you are an Aus citizen over there, in fact Aus citizens seem to get away with a ton)
This bushfire season and the drought and the heatwaves have lit a fire under my ass. The smoke is choking.

But the idea of moving away out of my parents house feels near unattainable, much less moving so far away.
I have many issues with it, I feel I need 3 things to make the jump to move out in general:
1. Someone to move out with
2. At least a semi stable job
3. Savings

I feel I need someone to move out with, for both emotional reasons and financial reasons. I don't believe I have someone I can move out with though, much less someone willing to move so far. I also do not have a partner/girlfriend, and I never have, and I don't believe that trying to seek one out solely to move is likely to end up well.
I've never had a semi stable Job. I currently have a Pick Packing job that is Christmas casual and I will almost certainly lose at the end of January. During periods of unemployment I receive disability pension, as I am a diagnosed Autistic.
I have only the 3rd thing, savings.
My current financial situation is as thus:
[Hidden content]
Disability pension is a big reason for me to want to stay in Australia (I doubt I will receive it in NZ), the financial cushion it provides is immense, and being on the Autism spectrum, maintaining job security can be difficult, so the support is important. (I do however, believe that the Disability pension could end up getting cut eventually as climate change squeezes the worlds economy)
My other reason is family. I may not speak to them often, but I like simply being around them, and I know I can count on them. The emotional support of simply being around people is important.
I want to ask what steps does Era think might be best to fulfill my wishes. What should I aim for?
Just moving out IN Sydney would be a good first step I think, but even that seems a huge step.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I fear that the housing market is gonna crash eventually, but when is a mystery. I feel like buying atm could end in financial devastation.

Seems like a massive leap to go international. I know travelling to other cities gives you a skewed view as you're on holidays and usually in a positive mood. Gives you a false sense of "fuck it would be awesome to live here!"

There are plenty of other cities/locations that meet your requirements. Tassie is a great place but job prospects are limited due to a smaller population. Definitely has that slow-paced vibe across the state. If you don't mind humidity then Cairns/Port Douglas is also a great location.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I'm gonna be realistic. It's hard to immigrate long term to other countries, especially first world western countries. Like really fucking difficult. Unless you happen to be able to piggyback on a parents citizenship you'll be limited to the kinds of working visas you can get and almost all of them are very temporary.

Maybe you can get sponsored by a company but with the info in the op I don't think that's likely. Even then those visas aren't always a pathway to permanent residency.

Edited to clarify this response is about first world immigration.

Last edited:

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
OP - as an expat Aussie, as much as I love the homeland, I get the feeling of claustrophobia in the country. Before going to the extreme of trying to emigrate, try finding a way to save and travel more as cheap as you can. There's a lot of Asia open from Aus for low $$$. It will open your horizons and you'll meet people from afar and opportunity will arise.

I assume you are young - If so, don't let it get to you. I'm an old bastard and I worked a shit tier retail gig through Uni and then to support a creative hobbyist gig well into my twenties before I got to travel and work abroad and then the world opened up. Keep pushing towards your travel goal any way you , it will come!

On the family thing - it's tough, but I alleviate it by calling a lot and I go home when I can. I lived interstate from the fam and I probably talk to them more now than back when I was in a different state. And obviously FaceTime/Skype is even better when we can organize it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I'm gonna be realistic. It's hard to immigrate long term to other countries, especially first world western countries. Like really fucking difficult. Unless you happen to be able to piggyback on a parents citizenship you'll be limited to the kinds of working visas you can get and almost all of them are very temporary.

Maybe you can get sponsored by a company but with the info in the op I don't think that's likely. Even then those visas aren't always a pathway to permanent residency.

Edited to clarify this response is about first world immigration.
There's a reason I pointed out NZ.
Not only is it close, both physically and culturally, Aus citizens appear to be more or less just let in without much hassle, as long as you aren't a criminal or whatever.
You don't even apply for a visa, they'll give it to you at the airport.

I honestly don't believe I would be able to get into any other countries. Maybe if I somehow manage to marry a girl from Canada.

Hahahaha, unlikely.

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
UK, Canada, NZ are all possibilities...I think they all have some sort of working visa treaties with Aus. I mean NZ does for sure, my brother spent years in the UK working as a security guard with no qualifications. You can go teach English in Japan or other parts of Asia - shit pay but it's pretty open for the lower end gigs. Do some research, it's not as impossible as it might feel like it is!

Oh and good luck.

Last edited:

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe try a working holiday visa first?
Should be easier to formulate a long-term plan from there.

Might even be able to get one in multiple English speaking countries back to back.

Oct 27, 2017
Dont run before you can walk.

Move out first and Travel more. I'm from Ireland and found NZ very like home, climate wise, and even culturally. Eventually moving to NZ might be the best option as you would still be relatively close to family.

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Why do people keep saying it's hard to get a visa - if you are under 30 (35 in some) you can get a working visa from Aus to a bunch of countries. You might be limited in the work they allow you to do, but you can travel and work on them. When I was younger a lot of people worked gap years on these sorts of visas...is that not common anymore for Aussies?

Here's the first UK one that popped up on google search...

zabora

Apr 11, 2019
When I worked in the NHS, I had many colleagues that were from Australia, NZ, SA so it must be pretty easy to come and work in the UK.

Most actually started out in a simple Band 2 job and got free training and now are making really good money.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Why do people keep saying it's hard to get a visa - if you are under 30 (35 in some) you can get a working visa from Aus to a bunch of countries. You might be limited in the work they allow you to do, but you can travel and work on them. When I was younger a lot of people worked gap years on these sorts of visas...is that not common anymore for Aussies?

Here's the first UK one that popped up on google search...

Yea it's pretty easy to get a temporary visa but he isn't saying he wants to do a working holiday in the UK, He's saying he wants to immigrate.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I moved to Australia from the US, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was eyeing Tasmania or New Zealand now with recent news. I was so glad to leave the US as well.

Here in SA it seems to not be so bad, we aren't getting any smoke haze and there are only a few fires around. It seems pretty bad in NSW.

I've been wanting to move as well, including moving in with someone else to help share lighten the load from rent (the fact that it is weekly here still gets to me). You'd have to make due with staying with me and my partner both though.

I'd second the advice of moving out of your parents place first. Try SA or TAZ first.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Step 1.
Move out from parents first.
Step 2.
Learn living/surviving/providing for yourself.
Step 3.
Live anywhere you want.

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
I've been living in different countries, I'm an introvert but in the upstart phase I've pretty much forced myself to build a social network 4-5 days out of the week. Friends and connections is additional security.
You can't be dependent on having someone with you since they could be an anchor rather than support.

My advice for you would be this: get an education in a field where you can work even with your disability. You need to have something to offer when moving abroad. Seriously.

Get your own place in Australia. Practice you social skills even if it might be tiring.

Could be a good idea to study abroad for a little bit to get a feel for it.