• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its weird since many VR games such as Ubisoft's games has cross-platforms. Is this a sign that Sony is starting to pull cross-platform off PC too?

Then again its not a big issue. Every PC players will have moved on to other games by the time it comes out on PSVR. Its a rather average game going by reviews

Game is already out only on Steam

IDx783E.jpg

PtexWzr.jpg

Mod-edit - For speculative reasons:
There's no monetary gain for SONY for allowing crossplay. They have one rule. If you want your PC title to have crossplay with PS4, run the game logic on your own (or 3rd party) servers. They strictly don't allow crossplay on a P2P network, especially from PC's, because of security reasons. Harada when asked about T7 crossplay (and a bunch of other prominent devs in the industry) have said this multiple times.

Refusing crossplay between consoles though, despite the games running on a server, is purely PR and obviously a business decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Weird. Is there a big gulf in fidelity or something? I can understand it if it's a comparable situation to mouse and keyboard players vs controllers in a FPS, for example.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Weird. Is there a big gulf in fidelity or something? I can understand it if it's a comparable situation to mouse and keyboard players vs controllers in a FPS, for example.

Doesn't seem like it is a tech issue by how the dev sounds. Just sounds like Sony said no.

Anyone know if any other PSVR games support crossplay?

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's obviously more to it than Sony saying no, since there are PSVR games with crossplay. Either the dev is throwing Sony under the bus for their problems or there are more specific reasons they're not saying.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a supremely disappointing time with the game. Hoping to swing back by on it in a couple weeks and would love to see crossplay

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I doubt Sony would block this just because. There are plenty of crossplay PSVR games.

Time to change the thread title I guess.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Frankly, I believe VR in general needs to be crossplay across the board for now since it still has a small install base. There are some multiplayer VR titles that just do not have enough players and take forever to find a match.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps Sony is really strict with what methods can be used for crossplay, and they're just not able to do that?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there is more to this story than what they are saying, there are tons of PCVR/PSVR cross play titles

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Seems sorta really dumb if this is true there's definitely something up no doubt.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
This is surely nonsense.

Cynical me thinks it's some bandwagon-jumping to cover for not having investigated cross play at all. A more optimistic me thinks maybe the dev didn't do much research and assumed it wasn't even worth asking given all the misleading PR about cross play these days.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
I'm not a dev so I have no idea how the whole thing works but I thought that you had to pay some extra fee or something in order to be able to do cross play since you need access to a certain server or something. That I know of isn't it only big name titles that have cross play (games by big name publishers), so maybe they asked Sony if they could lower the price of what it would cost to do cross play and it was more than the devs could afford?

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Why the fuck do they keep doing this? I would imagine the PR hit in the long run won't be worth whatever money they are making/saving by secluding their user base.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a dev so I have no idea how the whole thing works but I thought that you had to pay some extra fee or something in order to be able to do cross play since you need access to a certain server or something. That I know of isn't it only big name titles that have cross play (games by big name publishers), so maybe they asked Sony if they could lower the price of what it would cost to do cross play and it was more than the devs could afford?

This is what I'm wondering. It is an Indie dev. Or maybe it just required modification that isn't technically required but Sony requires and would cost too much to modify, idk.

Nov 28, 2017

There's no monetary gain for SONY for allowing crossplay. They have one rule. If you want your PC title to have crossplay with PS4, run the game logic on your own (or 3rd party) servers. They strictly don't allow crossplay on a P2P network, especially from PC's, because of security reasons. Harada when asked about T7 crossplay (and a bunch of other prominent devs in the industry) have said this multiple times.

Refusing crossplay between consoles though, despite the games running on a server, is purely PR and obviously a business decision.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Does this game use P2P connection? If so, I understand why Sony would refuse it.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018

That makes sense

Kartul7

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
But but.. their crossplay policies don't affect meeeeee!

what is this post even attempting to say? just a drive-by .. something?
this is going to be a thing for a while, isn't it? every game that could theoretically have cross-play and doesn't will be discussed in detail. crossplay is a thing i didn't know i needed, honestly.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Eagle flight
Werewolves within
Eve Valkyrie
Rec room
Star Trek Bridge Crew

That's just off the top of my head but they all support crossplay with Vive/rift.

Its obviously something Sony isn't against happening

I take it all those games have dedicated servers also.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
what is this post even attempting to say? just a drive-by .. something?
this is going to be a thing for a while, isn't it? every game that could theoretically have cross-play and doesn't will be discussed in detail. crossplay is a thing i didn't know i needed, honestly.
Yes its a clear drive-by. Common sense would have that Sony is clearly making decisions based on what is best for business and not because the company and the execs hate gamers. I think (in my honest opinion) that these kinds of threads are a perfect opportunity for trolls and faux outrage.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JFC Sony, fix this shit. PSVR has small number of players already, adding crossplay could bolster that

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this just seems like they heard the news about all that cross/play stuff and didn't even ask Sony directly.

VirtuaRacer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP has a history of making dubious and poorly researched PSVR comments/threads. Used to do the same at the old place.
Takes a keen interest in VR but has a snooty attitude toward Sony and PSVR.

Atom Universe
Eagle Flight
Eve: Valkyrie
Rec Room
Sparc
Sports Bar VR
Sprint Vector
Star Trek: Bridge Crew
TrackMania Turbo: VR Levels
Werewolves Within

all have PCVR + PSVR cross-play for reasons explained by ShinobiOfTheWind above.

Last edited:

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Like the look of this game, Crying out for the next Farpoint fix on PSVR, Sony need as much support as possible so it is a little bizzare to block this when they already allow cross play in other VR titles. Hopefully by the time it comes out on PSVR they will allow it.

AlexxKidd

Banned
May 23, 2018
Yes its a clear drive-by. Common sense would have that Sony is clearly making decisions based on what is best for business and not because the company and the execs hate gamers. I think (in my honest opinion) that these kinds of threads are a perfect opportunity for trolls and faux outrage.

Looks like someone figured it out.

And yes very peculiar of the dev to attempt to throw Sony under the bus when anyone who owns a PSVR knows there are multiple cross platform titles.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It does seem like the developer is using the current cross play situation as an excuse here, as we already know Sony is normally fine about cross play with PC.

If it is Sony blocking it, there must be a reason why.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like there may be something else at play here other than a simple "no" from Sony since they support PSVR/PC crossplay.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP has a history of making dubious and poorly researched PSVR comments/threads. Used to do the same at the old place.
Takes a keen interest in VR but has a snooty attitude toward Sony and PSVR.

Atom Universe
Eagle Flight
Eve: Valkyrie
Rec Room
Sparc
Sports Bar VR
Sprint Vector
Star Trek: Bridge Crew
TrackMania Turbo: VR Levels
Werewolves Within

all have PCVR + PSVR cross-play for reasons explained by ShinobiOfTheWind above.

The dev literally said Sony isn't keen with crossplay between PC and PSVR.

Last edited:

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Then all of this could be pointing out to how behind the times PSN is. I remember developers calling out Sony years ago about servers were handled by third party publishers which aside from EA is not how it works on Xbox Live. That to me was always one of the discrepancies of why one was free and the other a paid service.

If however this developer is simply using this to highlight Sony's crossplay stance with consoles then to me it's fair game, Sony deserves the backlash even though many PSVR games do crossplay with PCVR. I also blame Sony for no VR support for Resident Evil 7 on the PC.

Nov 28, 2017
Then all of this could be pointing out to how behind the times PSN is. I remember developers calling out Sony years ago about servers were handled by third party publishers which aside from EA is not how it works on Xbox Live. That to me was always one of the discrepancies of why one was free and the other a paid service.

Well, this is news to me.

Who are these developers who called out SONY "about servers" but said that "it's not how it works on Xbox LIVE"? I'm not sure I understand what you're implying here, but yeah, I'd like a source for this.

First off, by mentioning "years ago" and "free online", I understand that you're referring to the PS360Wii generation. Are you implying that Microsoft provides dedicated servers for online multiplayer titles on the X360's 3rd party lineup and SONY doesn't for the PS3? If so, that's just flat out wrong and misinformation. Neither Microsoft nor SONY provided dedicated server support for 3rd party developers.

Here's a quick fact: There are a grand total of around 5-10 games on last generation consoles which run their game logic on dedicated servers. On the top of my head I could remember MAG (paid by SONY), SOCOM Confrontation (paid by SONY), Warhawk (paid by SONY), Battlefield 3 (paid by EA), Battlefield 4 (paid by EA), Gears of War 3 (implemented after fan outcry regarding one of the worst netcode ever to feature in a videogame in Gears 2, only for ranked playlists, paid by EPIC Games themselves as they owned the IP during this time and NOT by Microsoft).

Microsoft did NOT spend a dime on dedicated server support in ANY of their first party offerings, not even their flagships like Halo/Gears/Forza. Basically, we were paying Microsoft Tax™ for a decade prior, just for the ability to play online, like the Nvidia Tax™ for their founder's edition cards. Microsoft totally changed their stance this generation after the miserable reveal event of the Xbox One and the PR debacle that followed until the launch of the console in november, and ran EVERY 1st party title of theirs on dedicated servers. This includes cross-generation titles too but I'm not sure if Forza Horizon 2 on the X360 ran on dedis.

SONY this gen, run all their first party games on P2P though, and on top of it, we're paying yearly SONY Tax™ now.

So it's a P2P rule? Seemed odd to me since PC cross play has never been an issue with Sony.

SONY, historically haven't blocked PC crossplay if you're running your game on servers. There were many really small devs who could take advantage of the huge player pool on PS4 when there's next to nothing on the PC. Another recent example (though not VR) is Disc Jam. So, either this game runs on a P2P network environment or SONY changed their stance to completely block crossplay even for PC going forward, which is highly unlikely at this point in time with the Fortnite Account/Crossplay block media heat on their tail.

Last edited:

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, this is news to me.

Who are these developers who called out SONY "about servers" but said that "it's not how it works on Xbox LIVE"? I'm not sure I understand what you're implying here, but yeah, I'd like a source for this.

It was pretty standard fare on the PS3 that third party ran their own games on PSN while Microsoft hosted the network side of things on Xbox Live.

https://www.playstationtrophies.org...ing-Closing-Call-of-Duty-Servers-On-PSN?.html

Activision,
"The publishers have the right to shut down the servers for their game at any time as well which, based on the number of reported posts from users, may be a viable solution over the free PSN," said Carson.

You ever notice how more games on PSN closed its online services in comparison to Xbox Live? It's hard to find any sources during the PS3 era that talked about third party and the costs associated with online multiplayer and PSN, but I remember one publisher that talked about the added costs they faced to host multiplayer in their game.

On a related note it was Electronic Arts that wanted to run their own games and Microsoft had to change it's policy for them,

https://money.cnn.com/2004/05/11/technology/e3_xboxlive/index.htm?cnn=yes

The likely breakthrough that brought EA (ERTS: Research, Estimates) onto Xbox Live was a shift in the way Microsoft handles its online audience. Previously, all Xbox Live players were kept in a closed network, owned by Microsoft, which was the centerpiece for the company's ranking system.

Recently, the company began allowing partners to run their own servers in an Xbox Live environment, giving EA control of leagues, tournaments and pay-to-play functions on their own games.