1. Hero of Legend

Hero of Legend
    Member OP

https://gematsu.com/2018/04/sega-announces-sega-ages-for-switch

There, NOW we have info! :P

I assume this is both an Arcade Archives and a potential successor to the 3D Classics on 3DS.

Edit:

Current game list:

- Sonic the Hedgehog
    - Thunder Force IV
    - Phantasy Star
    - Alex the Kidd in Miracle World
    - Gain Ground

Info:

2. BassForever

BassForever

So is this master system games? Or is this a mix of master system and genesis?

3. ned_ballad

ned_ballad

I wonder if they’ll pull a miracle and get Sonic 3+K on there

Probably not, but I can dream of a time when I have Sonic 1, 2, 3K and Mania on the same console

4. The M2 ports are fine, but the taxman Sonic ports are the best versions.
    Have sonic 2 on my 3DS from M2 and it’s solid but I need my wide screen

5. Aaron

Aaron

M2 is good but for the love of christ can't they just make the Taxman version of Sonic 1 the default going forward? Ridiculous that there's no "definitive" version of that game yet.

6. Gradon

Gradon

When third parties are giving us more virtual console content than Nintendo.

Just give me Sonic 3 this time SEGA for gods sake :(

7. Megatron

Megatron

I still need to know the price and what fifteen games, but I am almost certainly in.

8. goldenpp73

goldenpp73

So other consoles get a 50 game pack and Switch gets this?

9. StallionDan

StallionDan

This not the "Huge" thing, right?

10. Vic

Vic

I so wanted those games on the 3DS. Will get them on the Switch. I believe Outrun was part of the AGES line? I sure hope I'm right!

11. IrishNinja

IrishNinja

in for Lightening Force again, wish we had more names here
    also really hoping for M2 arcade ports

12. OrbitalBeard

OrbitalBeard

This is by M2. Trust me, the tradeoff is more than worth it.

13. Weiss

Weiss

Quietly hoping for Panzer Dragoon and S3&K.

This thread has actual info.

14. Zippo

Zippo

https://gematsu.com/2018/04/sega-announces-sega-ages-for-switch

Was just announced for Switch. 15 titles, Sonic 1, Phantasy Star and Thunder Force 4 were the only games announced. This doesn't seem to be a collection, by the wording. No word on a physical release either. Summer release. M2 developing.

Thunder Force 4 will be playable at the SEGA FES this weekend.

No screenshots or footage, sadly.

15. Megatron

Megatron

Well, there's that plus shenmue 1/2 hd, plus the sega mini. Take your pick.

16. Hero of Legend

Hero of Legend
    Member OP

17. Cantaim

Cantaim

Oh I’m in the sega classic collections on the 3ds were amazing

18. Aaron

Aaron

Yeah all the games are likely to have significantly better emulation and extra features to make it worthwhile. M2 does awesome work.

19. Lynd

Lynd

Yeah I'd rather M2 ports that cost more than whatever versions are being done for that collection.

20. Monty Mole

Monty Mole

But what about Virtual Console?

21. MajorBritten

MajorBritten

So basically ports of all the M2 Sega 3D Classics on the switch. Kind of baffling that Sega are doing this and releasing the mega drive collection on the other platforms at around the same time, switch owners will likely complain about getting ripped off even though the M2 versions will be the best ones. To be honest Id rather Sega released the Mega Drive collection on switch and had M2 port over some arcade, Saturn or Dreamcast remasters which haven't been done yet rather than releasing yet another version of Sonic the Hedgehog which has been done a hundred times,

22. Ex-Psych

Ex-Psych

23. Mandos

Mandos

Hopefully it has a platform style setup(free download, stuff is dlc) like pinball arcade than all separate like arcade archives. It’s m2 so totally worth it though. Hopefully gunstar heroes or guardian heroes comes

24. Mr-Joker

Mr-Joker

Am I really going to buy Sonic 1 and 2 again? Hmmm my brain says no but my heart is saying SCRAP BRAIN ZONE MUSIC!!!!! With my brain going -_-;

Don't think it's happening and instead we are getting repackaged retro games with new features rather than basic rom dumps.

25. RecRoulette

RecRoulette

M2's 3DS classics were one of my favorite things on the 3DS. Glad they're on board for this. I'll buy every single one, anything to support M2

26. Forkball

Forkball

Looking forward to paying $8 for Sonic the Hedgehog 1.

I hope they go outside of the Genesis sphere.

Also Virtual Console dreams crumbling...

27. Astrogamer

Astrogamer

Thunder Force IV is a genesis game so, it's likely a mix. Hoping we will get some of their arcade titles from that era too like the 3D Classics

28. OrbitalBeard

OrbitalBeard

With titles like this, the Mega Man Legacy Collections, and that SNK Anniversary compilation coming this fall, I genuinely don't believe Virtual Console is gong to be a thing on Switch. We'll see lots of retro titles brought over by the publishers themselves and Nintendo will likely start releasing some of their classic titles on the platform at some point, but an actual "Virtual Console"-type umbrella service doesn't seem likely at this point.... but who knows

29. StallionDan

StallionDan

Wait Shenmue hd was confirmed?

30. Chalfonts

Chalfonts

Hard pass

Sega are one of the worst publishers on the switch. I'm not paying stupid prices for some mega drive roms

31. Outrun plz.

32. Tain

Tain

This is a big fuckin deal and if it's half as good as the magical PS2 line, whoooo boy

33. Opa-Pa

Opa-Pa

34. Toth

Toth

Is this the updated Phantasy Star? I don’t think we have gotten that west yet.

35. Aaron

Aaron

If they mean the original Phantasy Star, that's Master System.

Also, Sega didn't get in on Wii U Virtual Console so them doing their own thing probably doesn't have much to do with whether Nintendo does a Virtual Console.

36. Mr-Joker

Mr-Joker

Yeah for PS4/Xbone and PC.

37. VeePs

VeePs

This. Can we please petition Sega to get a Taxman release?

38. Cybersai

Cybersai
    Banned Member

These games have been on the Wii and Wii U Virtual Console for nearly a decade, it's hard to get excited again

39. Shadio

Shadio

I'd much rather have this than the collection we're getting on PS4. Seems like it has more room to grow, whereas the collection is pretty much a one and done deal.

But I can live with it, as long as these aren't the Taxman Sonics.

40. Seven Force

Seven Force

Another Sega Ages line, another opportunity for Revenge of Death Adder to get passed up. Again.

Good to see M2 working on these, but I really, really don't see myself buying any version of Sonic 1 or 2 that aren't the Taxman versions at this point. Thunder Force IV is nice, though. Glad to see them using that Technosoft catalog now.

41. Rainrir

Rainrir
    Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account Member

Please Sega, Sega Ages Dragon Force kktks.

42. Megatron

Megatron

43. Novel Mike

Novel Mike

44. Neptonic

Neptonic

M2 is doing the collection so it'll be good

45. Immediately jealous of Thunder Force.

46. Yeah, I think I'll keep my money Sega. I can tell this won't be any of their Saturn or Dreamcast stuff. Just the same 2D games rereleased over and over. Hopefully I'm proven wrong (I'd love to be)

47. batfax

batfax

In for Phantasy Star. I'll get it on Japanese eShop if I have to.

48. Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

In M2 I trust.

49. preta

preta

Immediately in for Thunder Force IV.

50. Opa-Pa

Opa-Pa

By the wording I assumed these would be per-series collections like the ones M2 did for PS2, but looks like it'll be the Switch equivalent of Sega 3D classics instead, hmm...

A bit disappointing but I'll probably get them all anyway lol. Here's hoping Fantasy Zone is there again!