• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alboreo

Jan 31, 2018
Hype for Phantasy Star, I'm hoping we'll see 4 show up quickly. It'd be amazing to get the old remastered version but I doubt it, sadly. Will pick up day one though.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The SEGA 3D Classics took forever to come over here, but at least we have confirmation these are coming at all. There was a big question mark if the 3DS ports would arrive over here for a time, and they ended up not even finishing the series off with us anyways. Pretty messed up we never got the Game Boy Advance SEGA games for Wii U either too, now that I think of it...

Thank goodness SEGA's a much better fan-focused company now than they were then.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope to see some announcements soon although I'm not interested anymore in the stuff I have on my PS4 Mega Drive collection now.
Is this limited to Sega games? I'd take a Castle of Illusion for example.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
This wait is killing me. I'd love to play Phantasy Star again on the Switch.

I was going to pick up the PS4 collection, but they conveniently didn't include PS1, and I don't want to hook up my PS3 to play Sonic's Ultimate Collection.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Could be an alternative to a subscription service

Or could be a sign that VC is really dead.

BAFFLING why nintendo are not at least telling us what their plans are.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
They already did

That combined with Nintendo releasing games like Donkey Kong through Arcade Archives is pretty much it. There's no VC

The 20 nes games surely cant be the only back catalog content we get on switch. Why twould they pass up on the opportunity to resell me snes or N64 games when they have historically taken every other opportunity to do so?

If the arcade archives thing is the route theyre going with (i.e. just releasing old games on the eshop with no real fanfare or 'brand') then thats fine, but why not just say that?

Personally I want them to just release the classic console software collections as bundles. They can literally get me to buy the same thing twice if they do. But who knows.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The 20 nes games surely cant be the only back catalog content we get on switch. Why twould they pass up on the opportunity to resell me snes or N64 games when they have historically taken every other opportunity to do so?

If the arcade archives thing is the route theyre going with (i.e. just releasing old games on the eshop with no real fanfare or 'brand') then thats fine, but why not just say that?

Personally I want them to just release the classic console software collections as bundles. They can literally get me to buy the same thing twice if they do. But who knows.

That's what the classic consoles are for.

Not saying I agree with their method, but it is what it is.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
But then why have the NES games as part of the online subscription? All that does is create the expectation and appetite for classic games on the switch but then restrict it to a mere 20 from the oldest console? Just doesn't add up
Um, it's starting with 20 nes games and more games will be added over time(Snes has been semi confirmed)

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing the Sega collection on my PS4 and it's definitely gotten me nostalgic for games that weren't on it. Currently playing Phantasy Star 2 soon followed by 3 and 4, so getting a chance to play the original which I've never played makes it a day 1 purchase when it comes to Switch.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
"There will be Saturn and Dreamcast titles in the future as well, if it goes well beyond the first 15 games."

Fuck yeah. This made my day.

This is a big fuckin deal and if it's half as good as the magical PS2 line, whoooo boy
I have been waiting so long for those Japanese PS2 releases to finally reach other platforms. Hopefully that will finally happen with the Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
I am unreasonably hopeful for Saturn and DC ports on Switch

ChuChu Rocket (with local and online) would be a dream come true on Switch and I'd love to play Crazy Taxi again

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018

ChuChu Rocket (with local and online) would be a dream come true on Switch and I'd love to play Crazy Taxi again

Can't believe we still to this day haven't had a Chu Chu console rerelease...it's such a great party game!

Would've been a great fit for Wii with pointer + dpad.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Can't believe we still to this day haven't had a Chu Chu console rerelease...it's such a great party game!

Would've been a great fit for Wii with pointer + dpad.
Well there was the iOS/Android version, that has been pulled now, but yeah it would be great to see it rerelease on current platforms.

Oct 25, 2017
As part of a 'first batch'. If this is the same as they've been promoting in the West we've got gain ground, Alex kid, and phantasy star likely too, and we know the first wave has 15 games. Also $9 bucks, him wonder if it'll be lower in the west
If it's not just a standard $10 pricing, could be $7.99 to compete with Arcade Archives.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland

Well if it makes you feel any better thunderforce I've is practically a port of the Saturn version from what I'm hearing. It has less slowdown and the styx mode from that version.

Also I'm so glad thunderforce Iv is becoming a fan favourite it felt like for years I was the only one who knew what it was. When did it become popular again?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe you were hanging with the Nintendo or Sony crowd, but TF4 has always been known and liked.

Maybe you weren't paying attention since the game is called Lightening Force in the US.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Well there was the iOS/Android version, that has been pulled now, but yeah it would be great to see it rerelease on current platforms.

Aye, as well as the surprisingly decent GBA port as long as you could adjust to two face buttons. That was also neat in having a ton of custom levels imported from the DC's community.

Also I'm so glad thunderforce Iv is becoming a fan favourite it felt like for years I was the only one who knew what it was. When did it become popular again?

I honestly suspect it may be in part due to its stellar soundtrack, it frequently gets brought up when discussing the MD's best tunes.

This SSH remix of the intro & Metal Squad has 800k+ views, as well as some hilarious comments flabbergasted over its intensity :p

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I agree that most of the modern notoriety that TF4 has acquired comes mostly from its soundtrack.

At least in the US, that game never made any waves in the years following its release. Shmups in general just always seemed to be ignored.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMO Thunder Force III had a better soundtrack than IV, and a better SSH remix too:

I was a big big thunder force fan back when these games were new. I got Thunder Force III with my Genesis, and then went out and bought Thunder Force II because Thunder Force III was so badass. I loved both of them and played them all the time. I would have gobbled up Thunder Force IV if I had known it existed.

Except Sega called it Lightening Force and thus it slipped under my radar entirely. I didn't find out about TFIV until years after the genesis had died.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I already bought some of these games on Wii.
Not buying any digital games again till legacy content is properly managed.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Well if it makes you feel any better thunderforce I've is practically a port of the Saturn version from what I'm hearing. It has less slowdown and the styx mode from that version.

Don't look at me, it was my favorite MD game :)

9 bucks though... was hoping it would be a bit cheaper, MD games were 7e on the Wii

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Have they stated if these will be widescreen or not? Classic Sonic and widescreen goes together so well. And I really hope Sega doesn't pull the same bullshit they did with the 3DS M2 releases where only SOME of the titles make it to the US and Japan gets everything.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I need a few things:

- Nintendo, allow me to buy more than one game at a time please
- Hey Nintendo, I'm going to need folders!

Hope with the Switch having beefier hardware than the 3DS they dip into more recent, 3D titles. Iirc they wanted to port games like Virtua Racer but system specs were a concern.

That's the dream for me. A M2 authored re-release of classic model 1 and 2 titles.