• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I notice that there's a lot of people that don't know who M2 is, what the Sega Ages are, what additions they bring to the table. These Sega Ages titles will be better than any Genesis Collection ROM dump. An the Sega Ages series is not only about Genesis games, they have released a lot of Arcade titles too before.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never played the Phatasy Star or Shining Force games. I wasn't into Sega due to lack of RPG focus, but I'm excited for Star, I hope shining force comes too :o

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Dare I dream of getting arcade Outrun in this set?

(And to really go nuts, how about Crazy Taxi?)

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about this the more excited I get. M2 plus the Switch is such a wonderful pairing.

Lancelot

Nov 4, 2017
Campinas, SP
We need ultra requested arcade classics never released like:

- Daytona USA 2 and 3
- Scud Race
- Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder
- Planet Harriers

And so many others lost gems...

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
For those who aren't familiar with them, M2 made the excellent Sega 3D Classic ports on 3DS, as well as a number of Sega arcade ports for some other consoles. I am a huge fan of theirs, and I'm extremely excited to see they're handling this. They don't just simply port the games, but often add features/options that weren't present in the original games.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
How so? How is trading a large package of games for a reasonable price for buying the same said games individually any kind of "worth it"?

It's like the difference between buying a discount bundle of 5-6 old movies on DVD from a generic distributor, and buying one Criterion Collection release at the same price or more.

One and done! Was just about to use the exact same "bargain bin DVD vs. Criterion" analogy. It blows my mind some people would try to argue paying for the same bland, rehashed Genesis rom dump collection for the hundredth time is more attractive than M2 perfectly porting a mix of Genesis, Master System AND actual Sega arcade titles. M2's Sega Ages on PS2 and their Sega 3D Classics line were absolutely top shelf. M2 is meticulous when it comes to getting everything down to visuals and music perfect and also stuff all these releases with tons of amazing customization options no other company would think of adding. You're talking about a company that was willing to create a brand new custom version of Fantasy Zone 2 for Master System using the original game's arcade hardware. They added arcade cabinet "tilt" on some of the 3DS ports, I could go on forever. Buying an M2 Sega port = pure value, absolute quality and attention to detail and accuracy in classic game porting that is second to none. Anybody skeptical of them needs to read some of their interviews where they describe what lengths they go to in order to make sure their ports are faithful.

And for anyone who likes shmups, make sure to check out their ShotTriggers line on PS4 and XB1.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

- Daytona USA 2 and 3
- Scud Race
- Planet Harriers

I don't think Sega Rally 2 ever got a 60fps home version.

A definitive port of Outrun 2 (perhaps without the Ferrari license) would be fantastic too.

Dynamite Cop would be neat, too.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming Fantasy Zone II DX comes to this, that will be the real star of the entire lineup.

Fantasy Zone II DX is a modern sega system 16 game. It was made in 2009 on real sega system 16 hardware. I have a real Sega System 16 board with Fantasy Zone II DX on it.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017

- Daytona USA 2 and 3
- Scud Race
- Planet Harriers

Hell yes to these. I was JUST actually thinking about Scud Race & was trying to remember its name. Saw some footage & looked kind of cool.

Imagine if they included online for Revenge of Death Adder & gave it the same treatment Capcom did to the D&D arcade games.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Is Sega just stupid or is the Micheal Jackson thing still the reason why Taxman cant do Sonic 3?
If that is the reason, they really should just replace any tracks that are causing the issue. I love the original music, but a release with a new soundtrack is better than no release.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming Fantasy Zone II DX comes to this, that will be the real star of the entire lineup.

Fantasy Zone II DX is a modern sega system 16 game. It was made in 2009 on real sega system 16 hardware. I have a real Sega System 16 board with Fantasy Zone II DX on it.
I see you're a man of culture.

The 3DS port of II DX with the added Link Loop Land is straight up one of my favorite games ever. So glorious.
If that is the reason, they really should just replace any tracks that are causing the issue. I love the original music, but a release with a new soundtrack is better than no release.
Not that I disagree but I imagine the stupid backlash something like a Sonic 3 release without IceCap Zone music would spark and it ain't pretty.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see you're a man of culture.

The 3DS port of II DX with the added Link Loop Land is straight up one of my favorite games ever. So glorious.

If you like that, you owe it to yourself to track down the PS2 Sega Ages collections. Thats where Fantasy Zone II DX comes from, actually. It was the last release.

But one of the first releases, that everyone seems to overlook, was a full remake of the original Fantasy Zone using cell shaded graphics. It's one of the very few Sega Ages games to come to the US, in the Sega Ages collection on the PS2.

It's AWESOME, because not only is it a full remake of Fantasy Zone I, it adds 4 new levels, a ton of new playable ships, and doubles the size of the shop. What's best is all these features slowly unlock the more you play them.

The two fantasy zone games in the Sega Ages collections are, hands down, the best Sega Ages has ever been.

Shame Fantasy Zone I will assuredly not come to the switch, though.

Lancelot

Nov 4, 2017
Campinas, SP
I don't think Sega Rally 2 ever got a 60fps home version.

A definitive port of Outrun 2 (perhaps without the Ferrari license) would be fantastic too.

Dynamite Cop would be neat, too.

The Dreamcast's Sega Rally 2 port is 60 FPS, but it has so many slowdowns it makes me very sad. There's even a secret code that removes certain graphical features from the game in order to make it run better, but still not a solid performance. I have a legit copy here, I`m a huge Dreamcast fan.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
The Dreamcast's Sega Rally 2 port is 60 FPS, but it has so many slowdowns it makes me very sad. There's even a secret code that removes certain graphical features from the game in order to make it run better, but still not a solid performance. I have a legit copy here, I`m a huge Dreamcast fan.

I will add that the PAL version was running at 50HZ :(

So its performance was even worse.

I blame Microsoft and the crappy Windows CE version used to port this game, as a showcase of the operating system.

A showcase and a demonstration to the developers, yeah: that Windows CE should never be used again in a Dremacast game.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018

- Daytona USA 2 and 3
- Scud Race
- Planet Harriers

Add to this list the amazing System 18 'Shadow Dancer' :)

Don't get me wrong: I absolutely love the Megadrive version of 'Shadow Dancer'. A completely different game, with superb level design and one my favorite sound drivers, with a distinctive soundtrack.

But it's crazy to think that we never got a port of the original 'Shadow Dancer'. At least, not a faithful and accurate port, because I will not count the downgraded Master System version.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you like that, you owe it to yourself to track down the PS2 Sega Ages collections. Thats where Fantasy Zone II DX comes from, actually. It was the last release.

But one of the first releases, that everyone seems to overlook, was a full remake of the original Fantasy Zone using cell shaded graphics. It's one of the very few Sega Ages games to come to the US, in the Sega Ages collection on the PS2.

It's AWESOME, because not only is it a full remake of Fantasy Zone I, it adds 4 new levels, a ton of new playable ships, and doubles the size of the shop. What's best is all these features slowly unlock the more you play them.

The two fantasy zone games in the Sega Ages collections are, hands down, the best Sega Ages has ever been.

Shame Fantasy Zone I will assuredly not come to the switch, though.
Oh for sure! I'm a huge fan so I went through the trouble of importing the PS2 collection and later bought it digitally for my PS3 through the japanese PSN as well, haha. I still need to get the FZ1 remake though, I was a bit discouraged because you're pretty much the first person I see that gives it praise.

Why do you think FZ1 won't be re-released though? The relatively recent 3DS port by M2 was awesome, it added an Upa Upa mode (with his own, new theme song!) and even the Master System exclusive fish boss. It only missed wide-screen support due to time constraints.
Which version was that?

Maybe they just need to do better replacement tracks.
I'm guessing the original PC port.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which version was that?

Maybe they just need to do better replacement tracks.

The original PC release of Sonic 3

and considering Ice Cap Zone is one of the most iconic tracks in all of Sonic, I just don't think any replacement will do. Any replacement will receive extreme backlash. It'd be like replacing 1-1 from Mario with a generic knock off. People would undoubtedly complain.

Doesn't help that the original replacements were terrible though:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do you think FZ1 won't be re-released though? The relatively recent 3DS port by M2 was awesome, it added an Upa Upa mode (with his own, new theme song!) and even the Master System exclusive fish boss. It only missed wide-screen support due to time constraints.

EDIT: I specifically mean the PS2 remake of fantasy zone, to clarify

Cause it's not emulation (which is what M2 specifically does) and it wasn't made by M2, but rather D3.

I dunno who told you to avoid FZ1, but it was universally considered the bright spot in the US release of the ages collection, and was usually the go-to recommendation for the original line until Sega stopped using D3.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
It's 2018 so I think at this point Shenmue 1 and 2 can be considered classics. It says more to be announced so my guess is they (the originals) are part of this collection.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cause it's not emulation (which is what M2 specifically does) and it wasn't made by M2, but rather D3.

I dunno who told you to avoid FZ1, but it was universally considered the bright spot in the US release of the ages collection, and was usually the go-to recommendation for the original line until Sega stopped using D3.
Oh you meant the remake, yeah it's a shame it's trapped on the PS2, I don't think it got a PSN release as a PS2C either.

Honestly all I ever see is negativity toward the first, remake-based AGES volumes so maybe I just assumed it was hated too, but an import store near me has a copy so I'll secure that ASAP! Thanks for the recommendation.

Lancelot

Nov 4, 2017
Campinas, SP
Add to this list the amazing System 18 'Shadow Dancer' :)

Don't get me wrong: I absolutely love the Megadrive version of 'Shadow Dancer'. A completely different game, with superb level design and one my favorite sound drivers, with a distinctive soundtrack.

But it's crazy to think that we never got a port of the original 'Shadow Dancer'. At least, not a faithful and accurate port, because I will not count the downgraded Master System version.

A great Mega Drive version indeed, Shadow Dancer was the first game I booted in my console in 1993. Fantastic times!

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh you meant the remake, yeah it's a shame it's trapped on the PS2, I don't think it got a PSN release as a PS2C either.

Honestly all I ever see is negativity toward the first, remake-based AGES volumes so maybe I just assumed it was hated too, but an import store near me has a copy so I'll secure that ASAP! Thanks for the recommendation.

It's a really good remake. Some of the neater bits are that, when you beat a boss now, you get a 20 second special stage that is based off of the cancelled Space Fantasy Zone for the PC Engine:

fz-ps2-2a.jpg

And as I said, the new levels are really fun. One of them has such a hard boss, too. New power ups for Opa-opa as well, like devil wings, or big shots from Fantasy Zone II.

Great version, probably my favorite version of the original fantasy zone.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, the Fantasy Zone PS2 remake went well above and beyond pretty much everything else in that polygonal remake line. Kinda jarring, actually.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I'm trying to imagine an 'Out Run' version running at 60FPS, with a gorgeous CRT shader and nice scanlines in a perfect recreation of the look of an arcade monitor, and with an use of the HD rumble as advanced as the one seen in 'Fast RMX'.

And I need this 'Out Run' version like yesterday.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to imagine an 'Out Run' version running at 60FPS, with a gorgeous CRT shader and nice scanlines in a perfect recreation of the look of an arcade monitor, and with an use of the HD rumble as advanced as the one seen in 'Fast RMX'.

And I need this 'Out Run' version like yesterday.

That version of outrun has existed for years. It's called CannonBall:

http://reassembler.blogspot.com/p/cannonball-open-source-outrun-engine.html

It's to Outrun, what Taxman's Retro engine is to Sonic the Hedgehog. a modern, completely accurate remake of the Outrun engine, released entirely as freeware. It's been used in some really, really kickass projects:

But yes, everything you asked for, Cannonball can do.

EDIT: Once inquired about how much that Force Dynamics rig cost -- it's $30,000. Totally worth it.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
That version of outrun has existed for years. It's called CannonBall:

http://reassembler.blogspot.com/p/cannonball-open-source-outrun-engine.html

It's to Outrun, what Taxman's Retro engine is to Sonic the Hedgehog. a modern, completely accurate remake of the Outrun engine, released entirely as freeware. It's been used in some really, really kickass projects:

But yes, everything you asked for, Cannonball can do.

But the 'Out Run' version that I was describing, is an 'Out Run' version that I can afford without going to bankruptcy :)

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the 'Out Run' version that I was describing, is an 'Out Run' version that I can afford without going to bankruptcy :)

Cannoball is free. You don't have to hook it up to a $30,000 motion simulator. You can play it with a normal gamepad, and it has all sorts of advanced rumble options.

To quote the project page:

CannonBall: The Enhanced OutRun Engine.
  • Smoother 60fps gameplay
  • True Widescreen Play Mode
  • Force Feedback support
  • Custom Track support from LayOut
  • New Game Modes (Continuous Mode & Time Trial Mode)
  • Many, many more enhancemens

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
http://blogs.sega.com/2015/01/23/sega-3d-classics-developer-interviews/

In case anyone wants some detailed reading of the care M2 puts into recreating these classic games and designing new features, these interviews on the 3DS releases are amazing. This is why people that care about playing the best versions of these games should be more excited about these releases than the classic collection releasing on other platforms (though that is a worthwhile endeavor for getting people that don't care as much about the emulation to play some good games).

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I will definitely buy phantasy star iv (assuming it releases). I have wanted to play that for years. I have flirted with playing the PS3 version, but this would be ideal. Sonic.... I would buy a collection, but just 1 and 2 again, probably not.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
LTTP on this, but this seems cool. So all we need now is a TG16 collection for the switch and we can scratch off the old 3rd party consoles coming to the vc.

(Except for c64, but im pretty sure it being on the wii vc was a fluke)