• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Cannoball is free. You don't have to hook it up to a $30,000 motion simulator. You can play it with a normal gamepad, and it has all sorts of advanced rumble options.

Normal rumble is very different from HD Rumble.

Unless they adapt this use of rumble to a future Joycon driver.

I have experienced a lot of games with rumble. Nothing can compare to the use of HD Rumble in 'Fast RMX'.

That is by the way, I game that I can recommend to any enthusiast of arcade racers. It feels like a Namco cabinet taken from the early 2000s :)

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
This is the best news!
I was wanting Sega Ages stuff on the Switch since I bought one.
Now to get Capcom classics (Final fight, Ghosts n goblins etc...) and a Taito classics.

Also Thunderforce 4 is freaking FANTASTIC!

Man these get you pumping when you are playing.

Last edited:

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
...I know what haptic feedback is. Cannonball has hooks to all sorts of rumble features. Way more than the dual linear actuators that the switch controllers have. This thing will support rumble on rigs that make "HD rumble" look like cheap childs play.

But once again we enter in the subject of the affordability of a product.

The current Joycons offer a level of immersion thanks to the HD Rumble that can't be compared to any current or previous console gamepad.

And they are sold together with the system.

Yeah, the ideal way to enjoy of 'Space Harrier' in a home setup, is to get the Saturn specific controller that was created for the Sega Saturn version, or of course, an original arcade cabinet with the original controller. But this is a costly investment.

While to have the 3DS version with touch controls, it was a nice and affordable way of trying to emulate the original experience in a faithful way, by using the distinctive features of the system.

And these M2 releases are all about this.

I can play 'Alien Soldier' by downloading the crappy Steam version which has a terrible emulation, extract the rom, use the most accurate Megadrive emulator which is GenesisPlus GX, and to add a custom shader created with Reshade to fit the resolution of my monitor, and I will have 'Alien Soldier' in a legal way because I have purchased this rom, in a perfect recreation of the game, without paying to a scalper in eBay, and giving my money to the owners of the license.

But if M2 releases 'Alien Soldier' with a good CRT shader and an accurate emulation, I consider this much more affordable, not from a money perspective, but from a time-invested perspective.

I think that the accessibility factor is a very important thing to spread these classic games amongst a modern audience.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But once again we enter in the subject of the affordability of a product.

Once again, you don't get it. The game is free. It has hooks for rumble simulation. You can take whatever rumble product you have (and yes, a linear actuator is really just a rumble product) and connect them to these hooks. What makes "HD rumble," HD rumble is that the linear actuators can rumble at different values. You can hook different events in Cannonball to these values, and get "HD Rumble" out of cannonball, without spending money.

The current Joycons offer a level of immersion thanks to the HD Rumble that can't be compared to any current or previous console gamepad.

And FYI -- the switch joypads are not the only controllers with linear actuators in them.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
In for Virtua Racing.

Also, add me to the list wanting Taxman's HD Sonic CD and 1 remakes on Switch rather than M2.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
http://blogs.sega.com/2015/01/23/sega-3d-classics-developer-interviews/

In case anyone wants some detailed reading of the care M2 puts into recreating these classic games and designing new features, these interviews on the 3DS releases are amazing. This is why people that care about playing the best versions of these games should be more excited about these releases than the classic collection releasing on other platforms (though that is a worthwhile endeavor for getting people that don't care as much about the emulation to play some good games).
Yes, anyone interested in M2's craft needs ro read these interviews. They were super insightful and entertaining back when the 3D Classic series was still ongoing, it really shows their passion and ambition when working on classic games.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
The original PC release of Sonic 3

and considering Ice Cap Zone is one of the most iconic tracks in all of Sonic, I just don't think any replacement will do. Any replacement will receive extreme backlash. It'd be like replacing 1-1 from Mario with a generic knock off. People would undoubtedly complain.

Doesn't help that the original replacements were terrible though:

Isn't that this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khpVRUtcSv4

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Not using the Taxman ports is a travesty. Why release any other version and why would you leave them stuck on mobile?

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
So this pretty much confirms nintendo are not doing the traditional virtual console and are telling developers to do their own versions ? Guess they will do their own series like the hamster arcade games but N64 classics etc..

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

Well the only way they can do it the traditional way at this point would be with first party games, which is just a series of classic games like this and not a virtual console at all. If they wanted to do it with third party games too I doubt they'd allow things like this.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well the only way they can do it the traditional way at this point would be with first party games, which is just a series of classic games like this and not a virtual console at all. If they wanted to do it with third party games too I doubt they'd allow things like this.

This initiative already existed on 3DS, which had VC.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I'd much rather have this than the collection we're getting on PS4. Seems like it has more room to grow, whereas the collection is pretty much a one and done deal.

But I can live with it, as long as these aren't the Taxman Sonics.

...Wait, what?

Can you clarify this please, because this opinion is incomprehensible to me.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well the Wii U had a virtual console consisting on pretty much just games from their own systems, plus Turbografx very late on its life.

They already "promised" classic games to people who subscribe to their online services too, so I doubt they'll make high effort ports like this en masse.
This initiative already existed on 3DS, which had VC.
Funnily enough the Wii U had no such initiative and yet it didn't have Sega systems as part of its VC at all.

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder is likely to be included, which is great as a port is long overdue.

I would do unspeakable things for a Dragon Force port however...

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
It's M2 so we know it's gonna be great. Especially since it's getting the 3D classic treatment.
Good that it's not only Megadrive too.

That said, another one to add to the pile of "Virtual Console is dead" arguments...

Neifirst

Oct 27, 2017
If DecAthlete is among the 15 titles, that's my Switch GOTY for 2018. And I've wanted those Phantasy Star Generations remakes for years - hopefully we get both!

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Well the Wii U had a virtual console consisting on pretty much just games from their own systems, plus Turbografx very late on its life.

They already "promised" classic games to people who subscribe to their online services too, so I doubt they'll make high effort ports like this en masse.

Funnily enough the Wii U had no such initiative and yet it didn't have Sega systems as part of its VC at all.

That's kinda my point though the Wii U selection was atrocious and not worthwhile and there's no way they'll replicate that situation. The 3DS one was ok but the M2 was arguably the best part of it. On Switch they already have M2 series announced, Neo Geo games released, Capcom compilations, Ive probably forgotten more third party retro games too. I think it'd fit more if Nintendo games were released in a similar "collections" approach instead of one overarching virtual console. That has been proven not to work and separates them from the rest of the games too much. Plus they've already done their own arcade collection with Hamster. Why not continue that and just do SNES Archives, N64 Archives, or whatever? That opens you to do more than pure emulations too like "NES Classics Revived" or whatever too.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hope with the Switch having beefier hardware than the 3DS they dip into more recent, 3D titles. Iirc they wanted to port games like Virtua Racer but system specs were a concern.

Oh, I'm happy to read this. When I read Sega Ages, I thought about the PS2 games before 3DS so I was hoping for Virtua Racer then saw it was all Mega Drive and was a little disappointed. Hopefully it happens!

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing news. I was just thinking the other day how much I loved those 3DS games. I always wanted Revenge of Shinobi (my personal fav from that series) so that would be cool.

I am sure they talked about Virtua Racing at one point. Maybe they'll do it now.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
That's kinda my point though the Wii U selection was atrocious and not worthwhile and there's no way they'll replicate that situation. The 3DS one was ok but the M2 was arguably the best part of it. On Switch they already have M2 series announced, Neo Geo games released, Capcom compilations, Ive probably forgotten more third party retro games too. I think it'd fit more if Nintendo games were released in a similar "collections" approach instead of one overarching virtual console. That has been proven not to work and separates them from the rest of the games too much. Plus they've already done their own arcade collection with Hamster. Why not continue that and just do SNES Archives, N64 Archives, or whatever? That opens you to do more than pure emulations too like "NES Classics Revived" or whatever too.

You also have the Zero Div ports of the Psikyo catalogue, the vanilla Arcade Archives series from Hamster and the Flying Tiger Entertainment releases of the Data East catalogue.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
With titles like this, the Mega Man Legacy Collections, and that SNK Anniversary compilation coming this fall, I genuinely don't believe Virtual Console is gong to be a thing on Switch. We'll see lots of retro titles brought over by the publishers themselves and Nintendo will likely start releasing some of their classic titles on the platform at some point, but an actual "Virtual Console"-type umbrella service doesn't seem likely at this point.... but who knows
You could be right, but that's really a shame then. When you have to start relying on these third-party companies to bring re-releases of their games to a new platform, chances are high that they might never put in the work to do so. I can't see Konami ever bothering with a Castlevania or Contra collection, for instance.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could be right, but that's really a shame then. When you have to start relying on these third-party companies to bring re-releases of their games to a new platform, chances are high that they might never put in the work to do so. I can't see Konami ever bothering with a Castlevania or Contra collection, for instance.

I don't think Konami will do much of anything unless Nintendo partners with them in some way. I could see Nintendo convincing them to publish some classic compilations. Who knows though... I've stopped really caring about VC at this point . I'm sure lots of classic games will make their way to Switch over time, probably even lots of titles from Nintendo, but it's not something I'm actively anticipating anymore.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I fear they're already doing this, and they're called Classic Consoles...

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So glad they are continuing these on Switch. And with Thunder Force IV no less. Too bad we never got the last few 3D Classics in the West.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I don't think Konami will do much of anything unless Nintendo partners with them in some way. I could see Nintendo convincing them to publish some classic compilations. Who knows though... I've stopped really caring about VC at this point . I'm sure lots of classic games will make their way to Switch over time, probably even lots of titles from Nintendo, but it's not something I'm actively anticipating anymore.
You may have, but I certainly never did stop caring about this. To me, Virtual Console was one of the best things Nintendo ever did with their platforms. For me, without VC, Nintendo systems have far less value, and very little for me to play otherwise.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
The fact that it's M2 gives me hope for Phantasy Star. I love those games but I simply just can't play the old roms virtual console style. I need the QoL improvements that M2 introduced in the PS2 collection. If it's just the roms in the barebones Arcade Archives format, that'll be a pass for me.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that it's M2 gives me hope for Phantasy Star. I love those games but I simply just can't play the old roms virtual console style. I need the QoL improvements that M2 introduced in the PS2 collection. If it's just the roms in the barebones Arcade Archives format, that'll be a pass for me.

It's M2, so it should be a lot more than that. Should be a good way to revisit the game all these years later.

Deleted member 34197

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
The 3DS releases were actually new developed games and not emulated, right? Hopefully this new project will be the same.