• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
The Nintendo Switch SEGA Ages version of Phantasy Star will feature the features from the PlayStation 2 SEGA Ages version such as options for walk speed, difficulty settings, FM/PSG toggle, a hiragana mode and saving.
Wait so its features from the PS2 not the PS2 version itself? I'm confused. Really hoping its not the Master System version >.<

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Touch screen controls just don't work for platformers so I too wish Taxman would port to the consoles and PC.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I'm definitely in for Thunder Force IV, and hopefully we can get some more TechnoSoft games like Herzog Zwei and Elemental Master next time too.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It definitely is the Master System version. These are the features from the Phantasy Star Collection on PS2, not the remake.

This is excellent. I got the Phantasy Star Collection as a PS2 classics on the PS3 but shamefully never got around to playing 2-4. I hope the English versions have these features too. the FM sound in PS 1 was sublime.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is excellent. I got the Phantasy Star Collection as a PS2 classics on the PS3 but shamefully never got around to playing 2-4. I hope the English versions have these features too. the FM sound in PS 1 was sublime.

It dramatically improves PS2 IMO. I play with the encounter rate set low and the EXP and gold set high to offset the low encounter rate. And also double my walking speed. Makes the game much much brisker. The original PS2 would have a random battle like every single step. It was so frustrating.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Plus a ton of small bug fixes that only extreme Sonic nerds would notice that aren't fixed at all in the M2 port, because they didn't touch the original rom at all, i.e. all the custom bits come from their custom emulator, not rom hacking.
This isn't true at all, things like the spindash, western clouds or 3D layering priority in Sonic 1 are romhacked in by M2. They do fixes to the original code like this all the time like the previously mentioned Lv99 bug in PS4 or english script in MW1/4.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't true at all, things like the spindash, western clouds or 3D layering priority in Sonic 1 are romhacked in by M2.

Yeah, I know about these small changes, but these are not very complex changes. All of these are single changes to routines that can be easily made using the disassembly. There are tons of guides out there to do this stuff. The types of deep changes I'm talking about, M2 never does. The sorts of changes Tax and Stealth made to Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 (and Stealth in Sonic Megamix) are enormous changes that dramatically change the source code of the game, not mere bug fixes or small routine changes.

They do fixes to the original code like this all the time like the previously mentioned Lv99 bug in PS4 or english script in MW1/4.

Actually, MW4 is a rom from 1994 that Sega of America produced and never released. An english version of MW4 has been in Sega's hands for years now. M2 merely released it.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1117159.html

First info...

They decided after doing the last 3D Classics wave, it would be a waste to just leave it there.
Alex Kidd was chosen because of how popular he was on the Virtual Console in Europe...it's likely they will continue to use data like that for deciding future releases.
Gain Ground won't be the only arcade release. There will be more.
15 Titles is the start depending how well it goes they will do more.
There will be Saturn and Dreamcast titles in the future as well, if it goes well beyond the first 15 games.
Rieko Kodama is a producer on the new Sega Ages project...

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I know about these small changes, but these are not very complex changes. All of these are single changes to routines that can be easily made using the disassembly. There are tons of guides out there to do this stuff. The types of deep changes I'm talking about, M2 never does. The sorts of changes Tax and Stealth made to Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 (and Stealth in Sonic Megamix) are enormous changes that dramatically change the source code of the game, not mere bug fixes or small routine changes.
Yes, it's a different approach and M2 does come more from a place of preservation. I like the Taxman Sonics too and wouldn't mind if Sega commisioned a full retail collection or something between Mania games.

Also I have to say I wasn't totally correct looking into it, the 3D layering in their GigaDrive and ReMaster System titles are done by applying patches rather than altering the rom. They are writing custom Assembly code for it in each title though, it's not automated by the emulator.

Actually, MW4 is a rom from 1994 that Sega of America produced and never released. An english version of MW4 has been in Sega's hands for years now. M2 merely released it.
Really? I remember Okunari saying it was a new translation at the time but he might not have meant it in that sense. Was Monster Land AC also an old unreleased translation?

flattie

Nov 5, 2017

First info...

They decided after doing the last 3D Classics wave, it would be a waste to just leave it there.
Alex Kidd was chosen because of how popular he was on the Virtual Console in Europe...it's likely they will continue to use data like that for deciding future releases.
There will be Saturn and Dreamcast titles in the future as well (as part of the first 15 titles? Not sure)

Holy shit!

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The interview said that if the titles are well received, they could extend the initiative to Saturn and Dreamcast titles.
It implies that the first 15 titles will only have Master System/Mega Drive/Arcade games.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really? I remember Okunari saying it was a new translation at the time but he might not have meant it in that sense. Was Monster Land AC also an old unreleased translation?

Yup, the same way. It was produced for sales of Wonderboy in Monster Land in North America, but the game itself never actually launched in North America so it sat unused.

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There will be Saturn and Dreamcast titles in the future as well (as part of the first 15 titles? Not sure)
My god. I hope gift feature comes to Switch eventually. I'll gift this titles a lot just to support Saturn and Dreamcast titles in the Switch!

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

First info...

This sounds really fucking good. Loved the 3D classics.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
At least the Switch is region free

for when none of the Saturn games get released in the west

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There will be Saturn and Dreamcast titles in the future as well, if it goes well beyond the first 15 games.

Absolute Megaton. I have 0 doubt this is going to be successful considering how titles have been selling on Switch so far. This is gonna be amazing.

Put this in the OP! Super huge info!

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The interview said that if the titles are well received, they could extend the initiative to Saturn and Dreamcast titles.
It implies that the first 15 titles will only have Master System/Mega Drive/Arcade games.
That's fine, I can easily think of 10 more AC/MS/MD games I'd want. Hope Zillion, Golden Axe Warrior, Revenge of Death Adder, Crusader of Centy, Ranger-X and/or Virtua Racing make it in this time. All would be a first for M2.

Yup, the same way. It was produced for sales of Wonderboy in Monster Land in North America, but the game itself never actually launched in North America so it sat unused.
Interesting. Happen to know about any other completed english localized unreleased Sega titles that might make good classic rereleases?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Man, now I REALLY hope this does well if it means Saturn & Dreamcast games. They probably wouldn't be huge ones like Skies of Arcadia or Panzer Dragoon Saga, but I could see them bundling both Panzer Dragoon & Zwei together, both Crazy Taxi games, etc.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How many Master System / Genesis ports do I have to buy for a Skies of Arcadia port? Why has Sega ignored this game for so long...

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Man, now I REALLY hope this does well if it means Saturn & Dreamcast games. They probably wouldn't be huge ones like Skies of Arcadia or Panzer Dragoon Saga, but I could see them bundling both Panzer Dragoon & Zwei together, both Crazy Taxi games, etc.

Actually they said they chose Phantasy Star as one of the first games due to Rieko Kodama working on it. So likely, for Dreamcast games, Skies of Arcadia could be one of the first titles?

This reminds me that with the Sega Forever initiative they also teased DC and Saturn...

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
What they said was that if there is enough support for the Sega Ages line to keep going, in the (far) future they could do Saturn and Dreamcast games too. But then they also said that to achieve that, everyone should buy all 15+ Sega Ages titles on Switch. Lolololol.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
How many Master System / Genesis ports do I have to buy for a Skies of Arcadia port? Why has Sega ignored this game for so long...

This was my first thought as well. Skies might be too complex a project depending on the remaining assets, plus if its a dreamcast port then we'd miss out on the great Gamecube additions (but on the flip side get that wonderful OST a lot clearer).

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017

First info...

It is also nice they have added several things to TFIV like Sega Saturn features, Kid Mode (you don't lose your weapons if you get hit), online ranking and the ability to play as FIRE LEO-03 STYX from TFIII (in addition to TFIV's FIRE LEO-04 RYNEX).

026_o.jpg

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is Switch so I have zero doubt it'll sell amazingly. Looking forward to Dreamcast games, never played a single one. In for almost everything.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

First info...

Yessssss

Revenge of Death Adder, Panzer Trilogy and Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram pls.

I'd want the SF3 games but I suppose we'd only get the first, I doubt sega are going to pay for any translations.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I gotta buy some if I want Saturn and Dreamcast titles to happen.
Not that I wasn't planning on it in the first place.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

First info...

yo

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Ok, we get it, Taxman and Stealth are geniuses, and M2 are nobodies who mismanages Sonic.

Please campaign to get the Taxman's Sonic games on Switch, and while you're at it do the same for Shenmue HD

Red

Oct 26, 2017

First info...

There was a lot of work put into 3D conversions that's sitting in limbo now. With the industry embrace of archiving and remastering titles I hope there is some pressure to bring a 3D feature back in the future.

Panzer Dragoon on Switch... sounds good to me.
Wait wait wait...this involves Saturn and Dreamcast games?

.gif
me irl

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, we get it, Taxman and Stealth are geniuses, and M2 are nobodies who mismanages Sonic.

Please campaign to the Taxman's Sonic games on Switch, and while you're at it do the same for Shenmue HD
Why are you so offended by this, both Taxman and M2's ports are great, many of us just prefer the Taxman ones a little bit more so would prefer that version to be the main one going forward. Not working on Sonic would free M2 to work on other ports sooner.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd expect a lot of the Model 1/2 ports to show up in their original incarnations instead. That still leaves room for Fighters Megamix though. :)

Would that mean that there's the possibility of getting Model 1/2 games within these 15 first titles if they're using the arcade versions first ? Technically they were trying to get Virtua Racing running on 3DS but eventually gave up due to the hardware.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Basically a new version of Sega 3D Classics on TV with easy 2 player, more games and possibility of Saturn and Dreamcast games?

Look, I love shenmue games but I am starting to think Switch got the better deal here

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Basically a new version of Sega 3D Classics on TV with easy 2 player, more games and possibility of Saturn and Dreamcast games?

Look, I love shenmue games but I am starting to think Switch got the better deal here

Kind of strange how we're back to the PS2/GCN/Xbox era of Sega with different platforms getting different releases, each worthwhile in their own way

Of course I'd rather everything be on everything but at least Sega are prolific again :)

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Before they touch anything model 1, 2, or 3.

before they work on anything sega saturn

before any of that

THEY NEED TO PORT GOLDEN AXE REVENGE OF DEATH ADDER AND OUTRUNNERS

Neither game has ever had a real port. And Outrunners is amazing. It's way better than Outrun. If Sega won't put Outrun 2 anywhere to download, Outrunners is an incredible alternative (that doesn't even have the Ferrari licensing problem).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Switch definitely did, M2 is the retro jackpot. It'd be hilarious if they got to remastering Shenmue I/II as Ages titles too eventually.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of strange how we're back to the PS2/GCN/Xbox era of Sega with different platforms getting different releases, each worthwhile in their own way

Of course I'd rather everything be on everything but at least Sega are prolific again :)
Yeah I do get mixed feelings about all this. Great we're getting this stuff but at the same time it sucks that to follow one companies back catalogue I have to aquire so many systems just like I had to back then. Broadly it's a positive from where we were though.