• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Figured new thread for new news:
"下村シニアプロデューサー「タイトルラインナップはセガサターンやドリームキャストに拡げても良いと思う」"
Translatation:
Shimomura senior producer "I think the title line-up may be expanded to the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast"

https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1117159.html

More details from the article:
https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1117159.html

First info...

They decided after doing the last 3D Classics wave, it would be a waste to just leave it there.
Alex Kidd was chosen because of how popular he was on the Virtual Console in Europe...it's likely they will continue to use data like that for deciding future releases.
Gain Ground won't be the only arcade release. There will be more.
15 Titles is the start depending how well it goes they will do more.
There will be Saturn and Dreamcast titles in the future as well, if it goes well beyond the first 15 games.
Rieko Kodama is a producer on the new Sega Ages project...

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
How big is their team? I have always imagined them as like 7 people and a company dog or cat.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Didn't they make similar promises for certain arcade games during 3D classics that they did go through with? Also I doubt they'd be entertaining the thought unless they thought they could do it and are just waiting for the green light

Also my most wanted first 2 Saturn games that are also the rarest and most demanded first party ones: panzer dragoon saga and burning rangers

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Would buy EVERY Sega Ages that comes out in Europe, following that twitter, if that is true.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy Taxi on my Switch? Yes Please!

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, I will lose my sanity if Space Channel 5 part 1 & 2 get released on Switch.
And of course, CHUCHU ROCKET!

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Is this the same claim they made a while ago or a different initiative.

They said they were potentially going to expand the mobile ports they were making to include saturn and Dreamcast games and bring them to home console too.

It's hardly 2 teams doing the same thing?

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any rights issue (that we know of) that would prevent Panzer Dragoon Saga from happening? That's the one Sega game I desperately want to see re-released.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is Sega Age an on-going initiative that will last a long time, or just something that will stop after a year or something?

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hopes: panzer dragoon saga, burning rangers, crazy taxi DC, POWER STONE...

reality: bug! Then Sega announce no more due to lack of interest

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, sweet. Rieko's on it. Guess I don't have to hope for Phantasy Star since that's already confirmed, but c'mon Skies of Arcadia.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Are there any rights issue (that we know of) that would prevent Panzer Dragoon Saga from happening? That's the one Sega game I desperately want to see re-released.
Not rights, but Sega lost the source code years ago.

Is Sega Age an on-going initiative that will last a long time, or just something that will stop after a year or something?
It's a re-release/port/remake line that's been used intermittently since the Saturn era.

How long this one lasts depends on how successful it is, I imagine.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank God because the Saturn is the best console that is the most under-served in the retro re-release market.

There are games like Burning Rangers that no one's really played that are fucking awesome and that deserve more love. Or even some of the more common stuff out there that you can find in a retro shop like Fighters Megamix, which is still my favorite 3D fighting game of all time needs badly to be re-released. Fighting Vipers. Last Bronx. Shining Force III. Panzer Dragoon Zwei. Mr. Bones.

OK HAHA NOT THAT LAST ONE REALLY, but you get it.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

They said they were potentially going to expand the mobile ports they were making to include saturn and Dreamcast games and bring them to home console too.

Sega's Japanese and western arms work in mysterious ways. Just look at how they handle retro games in general: You've got the Genesis Collection on PS4/XBO/PC (Sega "West") and this Sega Ages initiative (Japan) on Switch. Both by two entirely different developers with different feature sets and different release strategies.

The Sega Forever initiative on mobile (that's what you referring to) is just another thing to add to that.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Clockwork Knight, Powerstone, Crazy Taxi, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Daytona, Virtua Fighter, Fighters Megamix, Shenmue....on the go? HOLY SHIT!?!?!?

Feb 8, 2018
No interest in Nintendo I'd prefer a Dreamcast mini with a functional free online Service. Include Online MP modes into games that didn't originally have them (Soul Calibur,Vigilante V8,Worms, Powerstone...)

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Skies of Arcadia on my Switch? Yes please!

Honestly though,if you want SoA, you probably are better off hoping for GameCube support and the legends version.

No interest in Nintendo I'd prefer a Dreamcast mini with a functional free online Service. Include Online MP modes into games that didn't originally have them (Soul Calibur,Vigilante V8,Worms, Powerstone...)

Lol. Console manufacturers make orders of magnitude more money than these ever will and even they won't do free online anymore. There's zero chance of that happening.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
As someone who has never owned a Sega console, I'm very excited to see what will come to Switch. I'm not familiar with these games, so I'm curious to see how good they are compared to today's standards.

flattie

Nov 5, 2017

Sounds like you're talking about the Sega Forever programme. No idea how that ties in (if at all) with these Ages projects.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
So what do you think is perfect online for Switch then? Why leave us hanging...?
FINE!

ChuChuRocket_Dreamcast.jpg

Perfect for local and online.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
"Rieko Kodama is a producer on the new Sega Ages project..."
Magic Knight Rayearth please, even if has to be relocalized.

SAT_MAGIC_KNIGHT_RAYEARTH.jpg