• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
http://archives.sega.jp/segaages/ps/

Out of fucking nowhere. I guess M2 REALLY did mean it when they wanted to keep their minimum 1 a month goal.

The date's for JP, but Sam Mullen of SoA confirmed that they're aiming to release the games worldwide, and did so with Sonic 1 and TF4 back on Sept 20th.

So Alex Kidd in Miracle World for November confirmed? :P

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
Hurray!
Since they announced Sega Ages for Switch this is the one I've been waiting for, I've only ever played the Phantasy Star games released since Online but I've always wanted an excuse to go back and try the originals.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yes squeezed in just barely, now I have something to do while I hide out all Halloween. Been craving a classic jrpg. Now if only we could get the Sega genesis collection for switch to release in October.

skyappl

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the extra features like the monster guide and magic and equipment lists and all that look really cool. This is how you do a re-release of a classic. The actual UI design of these new features looks pretty nice too. I'm a fan of this work!

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Will this have the same features as the PS2 collection?

It has most if not all those features, plus a few that are new to this version--I don't think it'll let you alter specific parameters like that version did but I think it does have a blanket easy mode option, as well as a dungeon auto-map, an item/equipment guide, a bestiary, a FM sound option for the English version, etc.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This could be a treat, or it could easily be a trick.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know of the improvements? I know there's a map now, but what about quick save?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I was just about to make a "When the fuck is the nest Sega Ages release?" thread. Seriously.

Great news though. PS1's a lot more palatable than a lot of 8-bit JRPGs but the QoL additions should definitely help newcomers.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Lets all support this release so that M2 can bless the entire quadrilogy with their porting brilliance.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Always wanted to play this. Might be the perfect little title to play during my down time.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Awesome news. I was just wondering about this the other day. It'll be nice to play Phantasy Star with auto-mapping. XD

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
If you're into Sega Ages titles, there's a variety of ports of PS2 Sega titles over on the Japanese PSN store on PS3 as well:
XOQpPeQ.jpg

http://archives.sega.jp/ps2archives/

Then including the 360, there's a few more Saturn fans may like:
kAzt72I.jpg

http://archives.sega.jp/index.html

There's a handful of Model 2 arcade game ports aside from these too, like Fighting Vipers and Virtua Fighter 2, and last-gen's Dreamcast collection of five or so HD ports.

Have Sega said anything about the current initiative covering more than just Arcade Games, Mega Drive, and Master System?
Saturn and Dreamcast in particular are still pretty conspicuously absent.
The first two Phantasy Stars have remakes as well, which this release seems like it will not include.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sad that they made it easier. That was part of the charm. Who doesn't want to grind on Scorpions for 4 hours outside town just to survive crossing the desert?

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
It has most if not all those features, plus a few that are new to this version--I don't think it'll let you alter specific parameters like that version did but I think it does have a blanket easy mode option, as well as a dungeon auto-map, an item/equipment guide, a bestiary, a FM sound option for the English version, etc.

jesus christ, put it into my veins
i need these on a cart one day, damn

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Its about time

Hopefully we get the rest nest year

4 is an all time classic of the genre

Harlowlad

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for a Western release also. First game on my master system, mapped every inch. Lassic was evil

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I'm so excited for this. And I want to support this Ages series. Couldn't justify buying Sonic again, or Thunder Force 4, but PS1 is Insta buy.

Nov 4, 2017
As a self-confessed life-long Nintendo fanboy who eschewed sega for half their life and loves classic JRPGs, I've long felt that I have missed out by not having experienced the Phantasy Star games.

I'm so on board for this.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Are you sure the Switch version will have all these features?
On the Sonic port, a few features from the 3DS port got removed, like the Mega Drive model 1/model 2 sound toggle.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I've beaten Phantasy Star over 10 times over the last 25 years, but with portability + automapping I'll probably double that number by 2020. FM sound is also godsend. M2 is adding all the right features to this release and I'm confident this will be the best Phantasy Star version ever released.

And to people asking for the Playstation 2 remake... I'm a big, big Phantasy Star fan (it's my favorite game series ever), but the remake is pretty unremarkable. It's not bad, but the music is horrible, graphics are competent but boring and the expanded dialogue is a bit dull and hurts the feel of the game (the original wasn't intended as a story-heavy game and it shows in the remake). I honestly think you're better off playing the original. This coming from one of the guys from the team that helped hack and fantranslate the remake. I know the remake pretty well and I poured many, many hours into it to get it localized into Portuguese, but I did it because I love the franchise. Quality-wise, the remake just isn't worth all the effort me and my friends had.

Of course having the remake would be nice and I would love to see it added, but I'm glad M2 spent their time on all of the additions to the original instead of porting the remake.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Are you sure the Switch version will have all these features?
On the Sonic port, a few features from the 3DS port got removed, like the Mega Drive model 1/model 2 sound toggle.

Everything I mentioned is explicitly listed on the page. There's also a hiragana option for the Japanese version, which I didn't think would be relevant to anyone here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
An auto map won't really help with some of the later dungeons in PS1. You really should still use a guide to not go bat shit crazy