• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 2, 2019
Taxman's pretty obviously are a great value with a large emphasis on improving the experience and adding fun. Better perf, better screen size, gameplay additions, new features, bonus extras. It's a more complete package.

That's a weird thing to say is "kinda sad to see".

Damn people for wanting a superior experience! Damn them all!

Well, I prefer the M2 version because it's truer to the original experience, but with enough QoL additions to iron the annoyances the games could have.

Damn me?

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
The problem with Sonic 3's music probably isn't Michael Jackson, it's probably The Jetzsons or Brad Buxer. The game stopped being released after someone on YouTube drew the connection between The Jetzsons' unreleased song Hard Times and the Ice Cap Zone music. I feel like the people representing The Jetzsons have threatened legal action behind the scenes, so Sega covers their asses by simply never releasing the game again.

Another thought I've had is perhaps Brad Buxer and the other members of Michael Jackson's team didn't realize that the game was being re-released over and over. Maybe they thought the music they made was for a game that was only released in 1994, and perhaps in the last several years they found out that Sega has released the game many times and they thought to themselves, "Hey, we haven't seen any royalty checks, WTF?" So to avoid a lawsuit over royalties, Sega doesn't release Sonic 3 anymore.

Who knows the truth.

I am so lost on what this even is. Are these ports of the mobile games???

No. They're new ports made by M2 exclusively for the Switch.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
No? I'm not saying their work is unnecessary because the M2 version exists, I'm saying that I particularly prefer the M2 version and that saying that their version is unnecessary because Taxman's exists is disrespectful to their work
Ah gotcha. I misunderstood your post then. Sorry about that.

What would be really, really amazing is if Sega/M2 contracted Taxman and Stealth on for Sonic 1 & 2 so then we could possibly get the best of both worlds. Imagine toggling on and off both versions' features?

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
GIVE ME 3 YOU COWARDS.

I don't understand why they don't hire Tee Lopes to remix the problematic tracks. Unless it's a deeper issue than I understand, they can't be so cheap as to avoid any possible solution to 3's rerelease.

God I'm so sick of 2.
Seriously what the fuck, there are plenty of cases where problematic music has been removed from games, either because of a falling out (Super Meat Boy) or legal reasons (Grand Theft Auto) so what's the fucking problem here.

Oct 27, 2017
M2 approach to rereleases is fascinating, a mix of emulation, rom-hacking and porting. Technically (by which I mean literally technically), Taxman's game is not Sonic 2 but a ground-up remade of Sonic 2, whereas the M2 release is a new version of Sonic 2 - with a larger part of the original source code untouched.

However, they take so long to release those games and they start from scratch every time... one wonders if it's worth the effort, especially with almost the whole Saturn library still trapped to a 1994 console.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I will only buy this if it's a 100% guarantee that Sonic 3 & Knuckles is around the corner.

If not, then I can only assume that Sega hates money.

Nov 14, 2017
I will only buy this if it's a 100% guarantee that Sonic 3 & Knuckles is around the corner.

If not, then I can only assume that Sega hates money.
S3&K is likely never happening because of the rumored music issues. If anything, it's not happening because they love money and want to avoid losing it in court.

If you have a PC, the Sonic 3 Angel Island Revisited fan remaster is a fantastic way to replay the game nowadays, and it just requires owning the base game on Steam.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
S3&K is likely never happening because of the rumored music issues. If anything, it's not happening because they love money and want to avoid losing it in court.

If you have a PC, the Sonic 3 Angel Island Revisited fan remaster is a fantastic way to replay the game nowadays, and it just requires owning the base game on Steam.

Sonic 3 AIR is incredible. It's the closest thing to a taxman port of the game. Lots of really neat additions.

Nov 14, 2017
Air is incredible. I wish someone made it playable on other devices too. Sonic 3 Air is what Sonic 3 should've been.
All it's really missing is the prototype Flying Battery order that Sonic 3 Complete implemented, but the creator of AIR has mentioned that he isn't a fan of that order, so it probably will never happen.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
All it's really missing is the prototype Flying Battery order that Sonic 3 Complete implemented, but the creator of AIR has mentioned that he isn't a fan of that order, so it probably will never happen.
I like Air better than complete. I need real widescreen.

I understand that is not something M2 would do, they want to preserve the original game. I loved their Phantasy Star port, so it's not like I dislike their stance in all ports.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
M2 do amazing work but it's sad that they couldn't manage to incorporate the Taxman version.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure no MJ music actually made it into the game, so that shouldn't be the issue
He's not credited. But here are the credited music composers:

Brad Buxer -
American keyboardist and composer, known for his many collaborations with American recording artist Michael Jackson.

Bobby Brooks -
Suddenly, Brooks had became one of the world's most sought after engineers and mixers. During this period, Brooks would team up with some of the brightest musical minds on the planet to include: Michael Jackson

Darryl Ross -
Entertainment industry veteran, Multi-Platinum Producer/Arranger Darryl Ross, aka Dok Ross has made a name for himself in the industry as a world-renowned Songwriter/Producer/Musician/Executive, Concert Promoter / Tour Consultant, working for the past twenty + years with the worlds most notable recording companies, past and present (CAPITOL EMI, RCA, SONY/BMG, MCA/GEFFEN UNIVERSAL, WARNER BRO, POLYGRAM, ISLAND/DEF JAM, ELEKTRA) and many other independent labels) and for some of the worlds most profitable entertainers, motion pictures. TV Shows, commercials, video games, etc. The long list includes such names as Michael Jackson

Geoff Grace -
Geoff Grace has worked on efforts involving such popular artists as Michael Jackson

Doug Grigsby III -
Doug Grigsby: The bassist, who has toured and recorded with Michael Jackson

S Cirocco -
Cirocco's projects include collaborating with "The King of Pop", Michael Jackson, for the Sega Video Game "Sonic The Hedge Hog"

What a crazy coincidence, right!?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Man, I've got to get a better computer so I can actually play Sonic 3 AIR. Complete is great (Not a fan of the prototype level orderb though), but I need widescreen. The Taxman ports and Mania have spoiled me in those regards.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Would gladly do this if it was released on Android so I can load it on my GPD.

My lifelong dream has been to play S3&K on a portable device, but thought it would never happen as a kid since Nintendo dominated the handheld market. I thought the dream was dead until Sonic Advance came out, and thought "Well shit, anything is possible now." I guess I was stupid for thinking that.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Perhaps they should re-release Sonic 3 but with the prototype music that was eventually used for the PC port. The music for Carnival Night and Launch Base tracks are actually better, in my opinion - its' just their MIDI renditions on PC that sucked, by the original Genesis tracks are alright.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Would gladly do this if it was released on Android so I can load it on my GPD.

My lifelong dream has been to play S3&K on a portable device, but thought it would never happen as a kid since Nintendo dominated the handheld market. I thought the dream was dead until Sonic Advance came out, and thought "Well shit, anything is possible now." I guess I was stupid for thinking that.
I mean, Sega did release the Sonic Classic Collection for Nintendo DS. It's not a great port but is still playable.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Perhaps they should re-release Sonic 3 but with the prototype music that was eventually used for the PC port. The music for Carnival Night and Launch Base tracks are actually better, in my opinion - its' just their MIDI renditions on PC that sucked, by the original Genesis tracks are alright.
Yes, this is the obvious solution for a future release and something I see M2 helming. The bigger worry imo is if we even get a second wave of Sega Ages this first set wraps up.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Did y'all ignore this part?

"Speaking of that, [Horii] teases that [M2] might include in Sonic 2 for [Nintendo] Switch things that Yuji Naka wanted to do in the original game, but couldn't because of the Megadrive's limitations," reads the DualShockers report."

This in of itself might make it a more valuable title than the Whitehead port.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I would like to hear why you prefer M2's versions, which usually only have a few modest enhancements, over the Taxman versions, which are widely beloved?
Well in the case of Sonic 1 they added drop dash and the arcade version. Those are the only things it has over the Retro Engine port, other than authenticity (being emulated rather than remade) for purists.

Oct 29, 2017
Well in the case of Sonic 1 they added drop dash and the arcade version. Those are the only things it has over the Retro Engine port, other than authenticity (being emulated rather than remade) for purists.

Authenticity is half the point of the SEGA AGES series. It's what makes these re-releases so valuable to hardcore fans.

While the Taxman ports are nice, they're not really very faithful to the original games. They're their own thing that's cool, but they're not really representitive of their original MD counterparts.

It also adds replays, online leaderboards, an online Time Attack mode and the ability to switch between Japanese and International versions too. Oh and there's a jukebox too; plus the value-add of being both portable and home console by virtue of being on Switch (which is NOT an insignificant thing!).

If Sonic 3&K ever gets re-released again? That's exactly what I expect them to do.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Even if he dislikes the order, I don't understand why he doesn't give the option to the player. I guess it is their project and it is free though, so who am I to complain?

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
M2 is the best in the business when it comes to emulation, and I really appreciate the work they do.

But the work Taxman and Stealth did? I'll take that any day. I'm so hungry for a non mobile version of Sonic 1 and 2 by Taxman and co. I know Sega knows we want it, but I don't know if Sega of Japan does.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Would still really like the Christian Whitehead/Taxman versions of Sonic 1, 2, and CD on console (in CD's case, it's on console but confined to Xbox), but M2 ports are special as well and I'll absolutely buy this even if Knuckles is all we get. Hoping for at least the Drop Dash to be added though, and I'm pretty confident it will.

Imagine if they really did add the cut zones back in, though. Will never happen, but god that would be hype. It was tremendously exciting to experience Hidden Palace in the mobile version of Sonic 2, and it's fun to imagine that it was always meant to be at the bottom of what used to be the Super Sonic trap in Mystic Cave.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Are you sure you're not thinking of Sonic Genesis for GBA?
Ah shit, you are correct on that one. Better analogy in regards to emulated ports: Sonic Genesis GBA is to Sonic 06 & Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, and Sonic Classic Collection is to...I guess somewhere between Forces and Shadow The Hedgehog. It's a thing, and it plays, but not really recommended if you're able to play literally anything else unless your curiosity is extremely high.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I straight up do not like the changes made to mobile Sonic 1, but I was disappointed that the 3DS port was made the way it was. Apparently rendering the special stages in 3D on that version was an extremely labor-intensive process, but the result was obviously inferior to creating a proper 3D engine and bumping up the framerate. I liked that port enough but was disappointed overall.

In order I think the feature additions to the mobile port in order of significance and value were the expanded 2-P level set, the inclusion of Tails and Knuckles with their signature moves, the 3D special stage, and the restoration of Hidden Palace. (The restored level wasn't bad, but it felt inconsistently paced and the boss was quite annoying. I also disliked that you had to skip most of MCZ2 in order to play it rather than being a natural part of the game progression, especially since MCZ2's boss is better.)

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Did y'all ignore this part?

"Speaking of that, [Horii] teases that [M2] might include in Sonic 2 for [Nintendo] Switch things that Yuji Naka wanted to do in the original game, but couldn't because of the Megadrive's limitations," reads the DualShockers report."

This in of itself might make it a more valuable title than the Whitehead port.

Not at all; the first few posts in this thread were wondering if that was still a thing (and mostly assuming it wasn't due to the amount of time that's passed since the first article about it came out). Maybe it's still happening, but best to keep expectations low.

Nov 14, 2017
Even if he dislikes the order, I don't understand why he doesn't give the option to the player. I guess it is their project and it is free though, so who am I to complain?
I believe it's because he'd have to make new transition cutscenes for the stages affected and alter the background palette to be nighttime to make it follow Carnival Night properly.

Although tbh I think the transitions could still work just fine (just pretend Sonic hitches a second ride on the Flying Battery only to jump off off-screen into Sandopolis), and mods for the nighttime palette already exist.

Also he initially wasn't going to include the 2P competitive mode, but he eventually gave in and added it, so there's a chance he'll change his mind

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Speaking of which, this track is available on on music streaming services (e.g. Spotify).
Well now, that's interesting. I thought it was an unreleased demo.
I wonder how long it's been there, it's apparently from a 2008 compilation. I guess that confirms Buxer has regained the rights to the Ice Cap music.

And before anybody else says it, no Ice Cap is not at all the same with the proto track. That level was one of my favorites mostly because of the music.