• It's the most wonderful time of the year! Make your list and check it twice. The ResetEra Games of the Year 2019 Voting Thread is now live. Voting will be open for the next 8 days, 1 hour, 52 minutes, 35 seconds, and will close on Jan 26, 2020 at 9:00 AM.

Sega Ages Sonic 2 (Switch) resurfaces, will include Knuckles in Sonic 2

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, I've never actually played Sonic 2 front-to-back.

At this point though I've still got my original Genesis copy, the PSP version of Genesis Collection, the PC version of Genesis Collection, the ROM from the PC collection set up with a BlastEm shortcut on my desktop, and that same ROM on my hacked Wii. Which version is best you guys?

And theoretically I guess I could get Taxman Sonic 2 since I could probably hook up my bluetooth M30 to my iPhone now.

Laxoon

Jan 24, 2018
I do consider the mobile ports superior, haven't played the M2 collections but I've read enough about them to figure they weren't as comprehensive as taxman and stealth's versions but after reading this thread I wasn't sure, are the M2 versions that good?

I went to read up on sonic retro and maybe they haven't had the chance to document the M2 versions as much but the difference still seems in the mobile ports favor. See for yourself :

For me, having the Sonic & Tails duo in Sonic 1 especially is so valuable. I would never play through marble, labyrinth or spring yard zone again without Tails. And finding those added knuckles routes was such a treat. I didn't even know about the ability to have every character get a super form and change the shield behavior from S1 to S2 and S3 WITH elemental shield and insta-shield! Drop dash is cool but it doesn't compare to all that.

Nov 1, 2017
Y'know, I've never actually played Sonic 2 front-to-back.

At this point though I've still got my original Genesis copy, the PSP version of Genesis Collection, the PC version of Genesis Collection, the ROM from the PC collection set up with a BlastEm shortcut on my desktop, and that same ROM on my hacked Wii. Which version is best you guys?

And theoretically I guess I could get Taxman Sonic 2 since I could probably hook up my bluetooth M30 to my iPhone now.
If I'm not mistaken, none of those versions have any exclusive extra features (excluding the Taxman mobile version). So with that in mind, accuracy and convenience is what it comes down to. I believe the BlastEm emulator is the most accurate of the bunch?

If I had to take a wild guess, the biggest differentiating factor between all of those would probably be how the sound is emulated and input latency. Either way, you should be golden. I can't say with 100% certainty however.

Edit: I gotta say though, I would love to try the mobile version hooked up to a TV + controller. It's probably the only mobile game I still consider picking up from time to time.